Kolache crazy!

for The Brooklyn Paper

Autumn Stanford is the Queen of Kolaches.

No clue what a kolache (pronounced ko-la-chee) is?

That’ll hardly come as surprise to Stanford — the owner of the upcoming Brooklyn Kolache Co. in Bed Stuy — whose mission statement is to get the borough hooked on the sweet and savory Czechoslovakian pastries so popular in her home state of Texas.

“Kolache’s are an obsession there — you can find them in any donut shop or gas station at the side of the road,” Stamford said. “They’re made with a slightly sweet, chewy, yeasty dough wrapped around fillings like strawberry, cottage cheese, poppy seed or cherry, or even ham, egg, hot dog, or jalapeno.”

“It’s like an ultra-portable, grab-and-go, self contained breakfast sandwich — perfect for New York, really,” she added. “I was kind of amazed I couldn’t find them anywhere here.”

That’s why Stamford decided to take matters into her own hands, signing a lease on a 1,000 square foot space (with additional backyard) with the hopes of opening her own shop by the end of March.

“I want to make this a great place for the neighborho­od,” Stamford said. “One that can be used for meet-ups and community board meetings. A place where moms can put their kids down for a second and relax with a good cup of coffee and something delicious to eat.”

That being said, Stamford fully expects the bulk of her business to come from harried morning commuters.

“The other thing that makes kolaches perfect for New York is that they’re made in advance and just kept warm — it’s not like ordering a breakfast sandwich and having to wait five minutes while someone fries the eggs,” she said.

“You can eat these on the run. You can eat them on the train. You can order up a few kolaches along with a cup of coffee and be out the door seconds.”

Brooklyn Kolache Co [520 DeKalb Ave. between Skillman Street and Bedford Avenue in Bedford Stuyvesant]. For more info, visit www.brooklynkolacheco.com.

mike from brooklyn says:
Janet what about it looks or sounds disgusting? That would be like me calling you a miserable ——, I dont know that for sure.
Feb. 16, 2012, 9:23 am
Praguester from Clinton Hill says:
It's pronounced koh-lah-cheh. I should know, I've eaten a few.
Feb. 16, 2012, 10:22 am
Joey from Clinton Hills says:
sounds great! I hope the price is in line with Texas pricing though.
Feb. 16, 2012, 10:38 am
manhatposeur from Portlyn Lakes Park says:
Looks like the Trailer Park version of Char-su bao, chinese pork buns.
Dam I would eat that kolache too!
Feb. 16, 2012, 10:51 am
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
nothing like leasing an expensive space for a few years so you can sell the flavor of the week for a few days. 6 months is generous. Then the owner will increase the lease price and flip it for the next dumb-ass hipster idea. Someone is dieing to lease this space and sell sustainable, gluten-free oxygen sandwiches
Feb. 17, 2012, 7:38 am
Joe from Portlandia says:
When this fails, you can open a store that sells only two dresses. Not two types or styles of dresses, but only has two dresses in its inventory.
Feb. 17, 2012, 11:50 am
Pat I. from out of Brooklyn says:
Reminds me of the old SNL skit about a shop that sold only scotch tape.

Only this Meghan/Autumn/Zooey/Canklina's business plan makes less sense.
Feb. 17, 2012, 1:10 pm
prillis says:
why so much hate?

good luck to this attractive and ambitious young woman.
Feb. 17, 2012, 3:54 pm
jinx from bk says:
i likes 'em big I likes em' small - seems like the two posters after me are a bunch o' fairies - make that mentally deficient fairies
Feb. 17, 2012, 4:29 pm
Hipsterminator from Brooklyn says:
"Photo by Elizabeth Graham" WTF?? Did they actually send a second person in to take those 2 photos??? Does Sarah Zorn not know how to use a camera??... Uh, never mind, she's a hipster too.

Guess you can afford that luxury with a full staff of unpaid interns.
Feb. 17, 2012, 6:35 pm
Cameron from williamsburg says:
I love kolaches! Can't wait for you to open!
Feb. 18, 2012, 8:37 am
Erica from Brooklyn Heights says:
I miss my TX and kolaches. So excited for this place to open!
Feb. 18, 2012, 8:55 am
d from brooklyn says:
something different and new in nyc!? hard to believe and can't wait to try them!!
Feb. 18, 2012, 10:23 am
pepe from bushwick says:
I think kolaches are yummy! That egg and chorizo looks great.
Feb. 18, 2012, 10:51 am
jinx from bk says:
to the so called Hipsterminator you sound like a sulky 9 year old child - go back to the playground child - that's all you'll ever know where you can play with yourself and your delusions - let the grown ups do the manly work of shagging the girls - beautiful ones at that like I have, sorry but it's true - ok, now go off yourself and do us all a favor, haha
Feb. 18, 2012, 11:53 am
Jim from W'burg says:
Can't wait until this opens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb. 18, 2012, 4:27 pm
jinx from bk says:
oooh, what an insult ! ahhh what a child, you really amuse me, hahhahaha, poor poor pitiful ugly child who doesn't get laid - and glasses what glasses? bye bye child, going out, you stay indoors and wank yourself to sleep
Feb. 18, 2012, 9:31 pm
MTD from Park Slope says:
Hooray for kolaches in Brooklyn! Can't wait!
Feb. 19, 2012, 8:37 am
Nissa from Brooklyn says:
I've tried Autumn's kolaches and they are to die for. I can't wait to visit the new shop!
Feb. 19, 2012, 11:55 am
Ted from Bed Stuy says:
What a great idea! I'm always looking for a savory alternative to the standard breakfast pastries. Good luck Autumn! You are lovely! Cant wait to have a kolache and a coffee in the back yard this spring...
Feb. 19, 2012, 9:46 pm
Nicole from Bushwick says:
YUM!!!!
Autumn, I'm so proud of you!!!
As a small business owner for 8 years and learning from all my successes and failures, I've learned the key is to focus on one bread and butter item (in your case kolaches :) and do it well. This is a killer idea and I know it will be a great success! xo
Feb. 19, 2012, 9:55 pm
Johnny Blaze- Brooklyn-Zoo born n raise from Brooklyn-Zoo born n raise says:
Autumn - can't wait for these kolaches! I support anyone pursuing their passion especially during times of hardships (national economy) I also appreciate our local residents pursuing these entrepenueral endeavors which assist our communities in stimulating local economy. Keep pursuing and don't let haters block your way. You will set the example and eventually more LOCAL businesses wil be inspired. To the haters out there watching too much Happy Endings on TV and throwing around the word "Hipster" - Ya'll can just stop whining and sucking your thumbs and go do something good for your community.
Lastly, I can't wait for these kolaches and u can count on me to be in line for some Ham n Cheese or dessert kolaches and of course a coffee! - Peace to All - I Love NYC!!!
Feb. 20, 2012, 5:15 pm
Terrible from Bay Ridge (you've probably never heard of it because you're a hipster) says:
She'll be back home in Texas in no time. This won't last when you have real food in Brooklyn. Maybe not the tofu in Hipsterville. It's really a shame you hipster scum don't go back home. I can see it in the way you type that you're not from any borough or even from outside of the city of that matter. I can't stand these Morrissey types from England that prance around in New York that think they're so cool but really they are just overgrown children who have never had real jobs. Brooklyn is like their little playground. They actually think they have original ideas when they're just copying styles from different decades of the twentieth century and slopping them together. This country is going down the toilet so fast it'll make your head spin.
Feb. 21, 2012, 6:20 pm
Thats right says:
These pastries will not be a "hit" in brooklyn. I've been in Bklyn over 20 years and I know what will work. They'll get 5-10 loyal customers who'll shop there twice and then they will fold. I remember when Michael Allen was the next best pastry thing since sliced bread to hit Brooklyn- about two years ago. He wanted to put Cake Man Raven out of business...but...where is the great Michaell Allen now...sharing space at the stale "fan-tastic" food market. Its not going to work. Ask the pickle lady. She went out of business is 3 months.
Feb. 21, 2012, 9:52 pm
starushka from greenpoint says:
Lazy journalism alert! Please, let's take care to honor the venerable Czechs/Slovaks that rarely receive cred on American soil: It's absolutely not pronounced "ko-la-chee" as reported here (unless this is in the first place a Texan deformation of the proper Czech name). They're called "koláč," pronounced "KOLE-ACH," and plural is either "koláčky" ("KOLACHKY") or "koláče" (KOLACH-EH").

No reason, despite our characteristic cultural laziness, we can't attempt to get the Czech right.
Aug. 2, 2014, 4:55 pm