Big Brooklyn bus boost begins Sunday

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Straphangers rejoice — Brooklyn is getting its buses back!

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority announced the restoration of service to seven borough lines that suffered during 2010 budget cuts, as well as plans to establish new routes in North Brooklyn and Downtown.

As of Jan. 6, Brooklyn straphangers will enjoy one-seat service from Bushwick and IKEA on the B57, easier trips between Bay Ridge and the People’s Playground on the B64, and a renewed link between Downtown and Prospect Park on the B48.

Buses will roll during more hours of the day on the:

• B4: Restoration of full-time service to Sheepshead Bay from Bay Ridge.

• B39: Restoration of daytime service between Wiliamsburg and Manhattan.

• B24: Restoration of weekend service between Williamsburg and Queens.

• B69: Restoration of weekend service between Downtown and Kensington.

In addition to Sunday’s service spike, the MTA announced plans to create additional routes later this year, including a service running between the so called “Tech Triangle” of Downtown, DUMBO, and the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and a line linking Greenpoint, Williamsburg, and Queens.

The bus boost comes three years after the MTA shortened or eliminated numerous borough bus routes to cover $93 million in budget cuts, citing decreased ridership on surface-level transit.

But things have apparently changed since then — the transportation provider will pay for an additional $29 million per year under the new plan.

The newfound cash comes from fares and frugality, according to the MTA.

“[The service increases] are paid for with increased revenue generated by additional ridership on the MTA system, as well as savings from the MTA’s continued rigorous efforts to contain costs,” a press release promoting the service improvements last summer read.

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at or by calling (718) 260-4514.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

B.M.Campbell from Bay Ridge says:
No B37 bus from Bay Ridge to Downtown.
Jan. 4, 2013, 11:02 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
The B48 goes from Greenpoint to Prospect Park now. It stopped at Fulton St. before.
Jan. 4, 2013, 11:28 am
JAY from NYC says:
ok now if the MTA would put GPS on each bus to track them, and get them to actually run sort of on time, and preventing things like having 3 b68 buses all showing up at the end of the line at the SAME time, after seeing NO bus for over half an hour or longer, and make that info available to the public, like they do in most other industrialized countries, then THAT would be good news.
Bringing back buses, that probably should not have been shut down in the first place, and acting like the MTA has accomplished something by doing this, is pretty dubious.
Jan. 4, 2013, 3:20 pm
Mom from Clinton Hill says:
B69 on weekends, yeay! Bring on the fare hikes.
Jan. 4, 2013, 7:38 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
There wouldn't have been a need for fare hikes if some riders didn't keep sneaking on the back of the city buses to begin with, though there was also a time when a bus driver got attacked by a kid recently after he refused to pay the fare.
Jan. 5, 2013, 5:32 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Thanks for your input from away, Tal. But how many people do you see sneaking on the the back of the bus?

I actually see it quite often, but they are clearly kids on their way to school who were issued passes and are for whatever obnoxious reason don't use them.

Anyway according to the Post the MTA lost about $14M the last time they counted. The fare is going up anyway.
Jan. 6, 2013, 7:03 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Other Michael, the MTA is a state agency, not a city agency, so my input does matter especially since motorists such as myself are paying for 58% of their budget compared to the 42% that regular riders pay up to.
Jan. 6, 2013, 1:25 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- We've already covered how much "motorists" pay. If you persist on continuing to say the same FALSE things regardless of how many times you've been corrected... over and over and over by many many people... why do you think we should listen to you? (Regardless of where you live)

Where are you getting this figure? Please cite. It is either made up or you don't understand what you are looking at. There is no other choice.... for example, you being correct is not a choice.
Jan. 6, 2013, 3:06 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I got this after you divided what is going on to the MTA. I added that part up and it came to that. As a matter of fact, I thank you for helping me determine that. BTW, the tolls that the MTA own also go to them as well, and they are much higher than any of the fares. As for the fare beaters, they are real, and when I mentioned them back at Baruch College at the MTA hearings, the audience did give me a round of applause for that just as they did for saying that it's us motorists that are really footing the bill by already giving more than those that actually use the system itself, not to mention saying that if you really want more in the system, then you riders should pay for it yourselves rather than having others do it for you just to keep your fares so low. Once again, the MTA is a state agency has it has been since 1965 in which I do pay taxes to them, so yes I do have a say in what they plan to do just as much as you do.
Jan. 6, 2013, 7:08 pm
ty from pps says:
"t's us motorists that are really footing the bill by already giving more than those that actually use the system itself"

This is just FALSE. It's also stupid. But, let's just stick with false.

Yeah -- I showed you figures a while back and you took no effort to read them properly. You IMMEDIATELY started twisting and just filling in your own crazy ideas to make it work for your purposes.
Jan. 6, 2013, 7:58 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
and Tal

Did you bother to look at the Post article I linked to above. Sneaking into the bus does not cost the MTA that much.

and do you know why some of your toll money covers mass transit costs? So that some people don't have to drive and there is room on the bride for you and your car.
Jan. 7, 2013, 3:49 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Keep in mind that fare hikes were inevitable. You guys can't keep on having low fares forever. Before you start saying about how mass transit in much of Europe is better, you do know that they raised fares there as well, and this is only talking about the first fare zones. Overall, if you want the system to be better, it should be done by those who use it more, not less. As for tolls, their original purpose was to cover whatever they were placed on and be removed after it was paid off, not stay there to be used as a revenue stream for other things besides itself, which is what lead to massive toll hikes in the first place. On a side note, I am glad that the 45% toll hike on the NY Thruway was defeated after businesses upstate fought against in the claim that it would hurt them a lot. Again, I was applauded for saying some of this over at that MTA hearing months back over at Baruch College especially when I mentioned the fare beaters. The only reason I may use tolled crossings like the Throgs Neck and Whitestone Bridges when I am going out to anywhere further out in LI, to either airport, to a Mets game, or even when I was going to my college, which was also out on LI wasn't because I was forced to go through those tolls, it was because it was a faster route. When I go to Manhattan, I just use the Alexander Hamilton Bridge when going on the west side while using the Third Avenue Bridge when going on the east side to which neither have a toll, but do bring me to the highways going down either side much more faster than the others.
Jan. 7, 2013, 3:57 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- What was the point of those 300 words of your brain leaking onto a computer?

Wait! Did someone invent a Tal Barzilai themed lorem ipsum text generator?!
Jan. 7, 2013, 4:43 pm
Roman from Pleasantville, NY says:
Soleat adipiscing argumentum mea in, ei fuisset oportere vituperata eos, mea quot ipsum an. Ad quaestio delicatissimi eam. Dicat utinam probatus id his, vidit eloquentiam nam ut. Ornatus perfecto at duo, cum et alia mollis admodum.

Eu nibh nihil quidam duo, novum partiendo his an, te mea animal adipisci. Mea suas invidunt an, prima delenit disputationi pri eu. Usu fierent accommodare ne. Eos at mediocrem liberavisse, at propriae disputando necessitatibus sit, wisi eius verear cu est. Ea vitae inciderint vix, at zril homero omittam usu, putant appellantur vim ne.
Jan. 7, 2013, 4:45 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Sorry ty, but your alter ego that came just minutes after your comment doesn't help with your statement.
Jan. 7, 2013, 5:21 pm
ty from pps says:
Wow, Tal... just wow.
Jan. 7, 2013, 6:10 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I just find it an irony that riders here want the best system, but don't want to actually pay for it. In other words, many find it better to find a sacrificial lamb like us motorists to really give the funding to the MTA. I was not surprised to hear this from the Straphanger's Campaign, who is already known for being anti-car by their history. In reality, it's the riders who are getting the free ride here or in this case, almost free, while the rest of us have to feel nickeled and dimed for whatever we use just to keep or vehicles functional. Another irony is that riders don't want to shill an extra quarter for the base fare of their rides, but at the same time don't mind us motorists paying at least a dollar more for tolls, whose rates are a lot higher and are much more constant. Once again, until your fares surpass the tolls, then you have all the right to complain. On a side note, I can never forgive the Daily News for making that bus driver feel like a bad guy just for responding to a kid who refused to pay his fare when he was really the victim on that.
Jan. 7, 2013, 8:05 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal, you're just a big chunk of irony.
Jan. 8, 2013, 9:10 am
LS from Brooklyn says:
What happened to the B71 restoration? That is really needed to link so many neighborhoods in our areas.
Jan. 8, 2013, 1:09 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:

NOBODY here is saying it is ok to not pay the subway / bus fare. I am just saying that fare beaters are not responsible for the price of a ride going up.

But you are the one who drives out of his way not to pay a toll.
Jan. 8, 2013, 7:52 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Other Michael, you still don't get it. The original purpose of the tolls on either highways or crossing was made to pay them off and remove them after that was done. In reality, they are already being paid for with taxes for infrastructure. In other words, tolling is seen as a double tip. Before you tell me that tolling is an elitist move, this goes all the way back to medieval times when those that could afford the toll could pass while those who couldn't were stuck where they were. What surprises me is that no matter how many places the MTA collects for funds, they are still acting as if they are broke. Also, I am annoyed that some go to blaming TWU Local 100 when they have no say in anything on this. As for the for the fare beaters, they are not a small number, and those doing them are not just the poor, but a number on the rich as well.
Jan. 9, 2013, 4:26 pm
ty from pps says:
I just checked back here to see if Tal shared another one of his very special comments... I was not disappointed.

I'm still concerned about how Tal will make his way through life when his mommy dies. I guess he may be in an assisted living situation by then.
Jan. 9, 2013, 4:40 pm
Other Michael from Park Slop says:
I do get it, because things have changed in the past 100 years.

Now, in NYC, bridge tolls are being used to subsidize mass transit.

Oh, and Tal, How do you know so much about farebeaters? Ride MTA buses much?
Jan. 10, 2013, 3:03 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
For the record, I have ridden some of the MTA buses not that long ago. As a matter of fact, I even used that pre-boarding fare, and it worked well not to mention saves me time of having to place the Metrocard in the slot when I can just put in the receipt in the box by the entrance instead. Although I have never seen a fare beater in person myself, I have heard about them in the news, and even at that MTA hearing that I went to over at Baruch College. These fare beaters aren't just poor people of color, they are of all races, classes, and even ages in that matter, and the MTA police does very little to stop them. They are costing the MTA money, because their so-called free rides does hold them short. Nevertheless, I am tired of you guys crying foul on the fare hikes when there have been hikes and other increases on just about everything else. If you can afford to live in a prestigious part of the city, you can easily afford to the fare hikes without a problem.
Jan. 10, 2013, 5:05 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:

What "MTA police"?

but anyway, they don't do anything about it because it is not worth the effort.
Jan. 11, 2013, 5:55 am
Fredrick Wells from Queens says:
I'll say just extend the B61 to the Brooklyn Navy Yard covering this route (as it will be distinguished from the B62 route - its former travel path when it was Red Hook to Long Island City). This is easier than just starting a new bus route with 30 minute headways.
Jan. 15, 2013, 8:25 am

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.