Quantcast

Police: Suspect robs grocery store with box-cutter

60th Precinct

Coney Island—Brighton Beach—Seagate

Masked bandit

A 23-year-old man was arrested for robbing a Brighton Beach Avenue grocery store with a box-cutter on March 25, taking cash.

The victim told police that he was working the register at the market between Brighton Fourth and Brighton Fifth streets at 12:23 am, when the suspect, wearing a black handkerchief around his face, entered the store and drew his blade.

“Give me your money,” he allegedly growled, before taking a wad of cash and fleeing.

Teller trouble

Police arrested a 25-year-old man who they say stole $10,000 from the teller drawer at his employer’s Brighton Beach Avenue bank on March 16.

Another employee told police that bank records showed the defendant was working at the franchise between Brighton First Street and Brighton First Road at 3 pm when the hefty sum of money went missing from the teller box he managed.

When cops questioned the suspect, he admitted to snagging the cash, according to a spokesman for District Attorney Charles Hynes.

Bad fare

A 27-year-old man was arrested for his part in the gunpoint robbery of a cab driver on Mermaid Avenue on Nov. 14 of last year.

The cabby told police that he drove the suspect and an accomplice to their destination near W. 27th Street at 10:30 am, when the suspect left the cab and walked over to the driver’s-side door. Meanwhile, his alleged accomplice was riding shotgun when he pulled a pistol on the cabby.

“I’m going to need your money, and your cellphone,” the accomplice allegedly demanded.

The driver handed over $200, and the gunman grabbed his cellphone from the center console.

“If you want your money and your cellphone back, you’ll have to follow us to the apartment,” the gunman then said.

Needless to say, the suspect and his accomplice did not pay the cabby his fare, according to Hynes’s office.

— Colin Mixson

Reach reporter Colin MIxson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.