It’s always best to plan ahead. We’ve all been there, grimacing as we fork over big bills to boardwalk vendors for a towel, sunscreen or anything else we forgot to pack for a day at the beach, and it’s no fun.
So this summer, instead of waiting until the last minute for a panicked trip to Target or buying a towel at the back of a Coney Island deli, take advantage of all Brooklyn has to offer and pack yourself a stylish and totally local beach bag before you leave the house.
Here, some of our favorite locals offer up their best summer treats — all perfect for a day at the beach.
- “Blue Star” tote by Reiter8. $65. Available at www.reiter8.com.
- Coppertone SPF 15 spray sun block. $8.99. Available at SVRH Pharmacy (161 Smith St., at Wyckoff Street in Carroll Gardens). For information, call (718) 596-1688.
- “The Heart is a Small Balloon” by Life in a Blender. $15. Available at www.fangrecords.com.
- Black and white cover-up by H. Fredriksson. $205. Available at www.hfredriksson.com.
- “Risky Business” sunglasses by Fred Flare. $9. Available at www.fredflare.com.
- “Baked Bar” by Baked. $2.50. Available at Baked (359 Van Brunt St., at Dikeman Street in Red Hook). For information, call (718) 222-0345.
- “Diana” sandal by Devoette. $250. Available at Stuart and Wright (85 Lafayette Ave., at South Portland Avenue in Fort Greene). For information, call (718) 797-0011.
- “Jamestown” by Matthew Sharpe (Soft Skull Press). $25. Available at BookCourt (163 Court St., between Pacific and Dean streets in Cobble Hill). For information, visit www.softskull.com.
- Beach blanket by Mociun. $135. Available at Bird (430 Seventh Ave., between 14th and 15th streets in Park Slope). For information, call (718) 768-4940.
Updated 4:00 pm, November 10, 2010