Growing pains

for The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

A 14-year-old girl was ganged up on by four other girls who beat her up and stole her jacket on Oct. 1.

The victim was walking home at around 3 pm and was at the corner of Classon and Lafayette avenues when the gang of girls — two 15-year-olds and two 17-year-olds — approached her and threatened her.

“You think you tough when you with you’re friends,” one of the grammatically challenged attackers said, before the group hit the victim, kicked her, and took the jacket off her back.

Train truants

Think you have a bad commute? Tell that to the teen who got beaten up and had his iPod stolen while riding the C train on Oct. 2.

As the train approached the Clinton-Washington stop at around 3:30 pm, the victim was suddenly surrounded by men who asked for the time and then added, “Why is your heart beating so fast?”

Then, one man grabbed the boy’s iPod and punched him in the face. The others also punched and kicked him before running through the doors to another train car.

Teens taken in

Cops arrested a group of 15-year-olds on Oct. 5 after the boys allegedly pushed a woman to the ground and took her purse.

The victim was walking on Willoughby Avenue at around 5 pm and had just reached Waverly Avenue when the gang rushed her and threw her down. They took her bag from her hands, but just at that moment, a cop car on patrol showed up and took five youths into custody.

Car crime wave

Last week was a bad week for cars and their owners in Fort Greene, as at least four vehicles were stolen and at least another eight were broken into.

The first incident occurred the night of Sept. 29, when a 2005 Toyota sedan was stolen from Willoughby Avenue near Washington Avenue. The 27-year-old driver told cops he left the car there at around midnight, and when he returned at 2 pm that day, it was gone.

Hours later, another vehicle was broken into a few blocks away. This time, a man had parked his 1995 Pontiac on Vanderbilt Avenue near Willoughby Ave around 2 pm. He came back the next day at 7:30 pm to discover that his passenger-side window had been broken and his license and registration stolen. He also lost some books and nine bottles of wine.

A 1990 Chevrolet Caprice was stolen two blocks away on Oct. 2. The owner said he parked on Hall Street near Willoughby Avenue at 4 pm, but when he returned 10 hours later, he found that someone needed the ancient vehicle badly enough to steal it.

The next day, a contractor left his van alone for 20 minutes when his tools were stolen out of it. He had parked the full-size van on Washington Avenue near DeKalb Avenue at 2:30 pm, and by the time he came back to it at 3 pm, an unknown perp had broken the back door lock and made off with his tools.

Another tool heist occurred on Oct. 4, this one on Vanderbilt Avenue near Willoughby Avenue. The 2003 Nissan Pathfinder was parked on the street at around 1:30 am. When the owner returned seven hours later, the passenger-side window was broken, and a movie player and tools were gone.

Two similar incidents happened to Lincoln Navigator owners in a parking lot on Atlantic Avenue and Fort Greene Place.

On Oct. 2, a man left his car at 2 pm to go shopping, and in the intervening hour, someone broke the door lock and stole sneakers, boots and a watch.

Just two days later, another Navigator’s lock was successfully navigated by a perp who stole a laptop, a keyboard, and a Sony Playstation.

A couple of streets from the parking lot, another older vehicle was stolen. The 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass owner had parked her car on the corner of Fulton Street and Carlton Avenue at 6:30 pm on Oct. 4. By the next morning, the car was gone.

Motorcycles, too, weren’t immune. A few hours later, a red 2007 Honda was stolen. The owner had left it on Vanderbilt Avenue between DeKalb and Lafayette avenues at noon, and a half hour later, it had vanished.

Our last incident left a car-owner using Google maps again.

The owner parked the car on Washington Avenue near Fulton Street at 5 pm on Oct. 5 and came back to it the next morning at 5:30. The car was still there, but the door had been pried open and the navigation system and television installed in the car — gadgets that cost $3,000 to install — had been ripped out.

Fashion crime

A 20-year-old man who was wearing his best gear on Oct. 6 had the shirt taken off his back — literally — while he was walking on Washington Avenue.

He was walking near Flushing Avenue at around 1 am when four men attacked him. Something hit him in the back of the head, knocking him out.

He woke up in a bed in Long Island College Hospital. The thugs had not only taken the $100 in his wallet and his two cellphones, they had also stripped him of his T-shirt, sneakers, watch, and jewelry.

Castle besieged

They weren’t exactly Harold and Kumar.

An iconic, cheap-as-dirt 24-hour fast food chain on Myrtle Avenue near Steuben Street was robbed at midnight on Oct. 7 by a pair of thugs more interested in the safe than in onion-tinged burgers.

When they entered the restaurant, they asked to use the bathroom — then pulled guns and demanded that the employee open the door to the back of the restaurant. The employee complied, and the hoods demanded — and got — the key to the safe.

The duo took $585 — enough to buy 2,000 burgers – before running out the back door.

Storage stick-up

A self-storage company on Atlantic Avenue was robbed by a couple of thugs who couldn’t get the safe open, but left with $200 anyway on Oct. 7.

The two walked in at around 12:30 am and asked the only employee working there to get the manager. The man replied that the manager wasn’t working right then, and the perps asked to use the bathroom.

The discourse abruptly turned ugly when one of the men grabbed the employee’s waistband and said, “Don’t move and give me the money.” His partner took $100 from the register and they demanded the safe keys. The employee said he didn’t have them, and although the robbers took his keys and tried them on the safe, none of them worked.

The pair gave up and took off in a silver sedan down Grand Avenue, but not before taking $100 from the employee’s pockets.

Updated 4:00 pm, November 10, 2010
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Elizabeth White says:
Somehow, it is not surprising when a teenage thug is grammatically challenged. But journalists are usually held to a higher standard. Really - "You think you tough when you with YOU'RE friends" - isn't there a saying about "people in glass houses..."?
Oct. 14, 2007, 9:31 am

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: