Meat me — at Five Guys burgers

for The Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

The age-old assumption about restaurants is that there’s fast food, and there’s fancy food, and nothing in between. But denizens of Bay Ridge are the latest to discover how incorrect that old maxim can be.

Five Guys, which has built a cult following since opening its first location in Virginia 22 years ago, has opened on Fifth Avenue — the third foray into Brooklyn following a debut on Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights two years ago and a second location on Seventh Avenue in Park Slope this year.

Boasting “never-frozen” beef and fresh Idaho potatoes, the burger joint has drawn raves — and our own “fact-finding mission” discovered ridiculously juicy double beef patties ($5.99), dripping with melted cheese, and fries that were simply amazing ($2.99).

Fifteen free toppings — if properly mixed and matched — allow for 250,000 ways to enjoy your burger (just a suggestion: skip the mayo–A1–jalapeno burger).

Five Guys [8510 Fifth Ave., between 85th and 86th streets in Bay Ridge, (718) 921-9380]. Open seven days, 11 am–10 pm. All major credit cards.

Updated 5:09 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Pat from Bay Ridge says:
Sounds good - maybe worth a 16-block walk...? And another 16 blocks to walk it off. I've been wondering if there's a good burger place in northern Bay Ridge since I came here.
Nov. 20, 2008, 11:53 pm
Michael from Bay Ridge says:
Is there an age old assumption that only two types of food are "fast food" and "fancy food"?

I have never heard this before. Since when has this been an old maxim?
Nov. 21, 2008, 10:09 am
Pat from Bay Ridge says:
I think the assumption is that fast food is generally crap (especially burgers...).
Nov. 21, 2008, 11:22 am
Pat from Bay Ridge says:
OK, it's pretty good... I had the "little" bacon cheeseburger. I was disappointed that they only have American cheese. The burger wasn't juicy at all but the bacon was fantastic. Overall quite tasty. The fries were delicious too, and there were sure a lot of them. Anyway it's good for this area but New York Burger on 6th Av. is far better (and cheaper). Too bad I don't live in Chelsea any more :(
Nov. 22, 2008, 9:14 pm
Johnny from Bad says:
Five guys is great, I wish I was close to one
Aug. 31, 2015, 11:38 am

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: