Please sign our condolence page

Don’t miss our updates:

Blogger and journalist Bob Guskind touched many people’s lives, including our own staff. In tribute to him, we offer this page as a place to leave your memories and comments about him, which we will share with his loved ones.

A memorial is now set for April 4.

Updated 11:32 am, March 20, 2009: Story was updated to reflect new information about Guskind's memorial service.

Don’t miss our updates:

GL friend says:
The Gowanus Lounge site is back up. Memories and comments are welcome there.
March 6, 2009, 9:50 am
Loye Miller from Washington DC says:
I am an old friend of Bob's and I will miss him dearly. We went through a lot of coming of age stuff together in the mid to late 70's and I always counted him as my closet friend.

Beyond being a top notch journalist and a man with deep community concerns he was also an incredibly gifted writer. I will do what I can to keep his work alive. To those in the blogging community I invite you to keep the spirit of his blogging efforts alive as well. Let Bob be remembered and the spirit of his work continue in us all.
March 6, 2009, 11:41 am
Rob Friedman from Bay Ridge says:
Our sympathies to the family and friends of this friend of Brooklyn and its people. He will be missed.
March 6, 2009, 12:11 pm
A O from BKLN says:
Condolences
March 6, 2009, 1:03 pm
Jack from Boerum Hill says:
R.I.P. Bob.
March 6, 2009, 1:29 pm
Helga from D.C. says:
I met Bob in 2000, via the now-defunct Themestream website. He was a wonderful writer, and his encyclopedic knowledge and love of music definitely made an impact on my own CD collection (although, try as I might, I can't get into Joy Division in quite the same way he did). I'd lost touch with him until stumbling on Gowanus Lounge recently, and I wish I'd let him know how much I enjoyed the site. My condolences to his family and friends.
March 6, 2009, 1:36 pm
Aleksandra Scepanovic from Park Slope says:
We loved reading your work... at home, in the office. Great insight, great writing, great.... great.... great.... everything. R.I.B.P.
March 6, 2009, 7:55 pm
F Jasmin Adams from Carroll Gardens says:
During the writers strike, Bob published my many stories and photos of mine. He was a lifeline for me during a horrible period of worry. I met him in person only once, at a meeting to discuss the Clarret building on the corner of Union and Court streets. He had known me only online. Our meeting was brief, but his smile was warm. I am sorry to hear of his drug problem. One never knows these things. Thanks Bob, hopefully there will be no more ugly buildings built..ever..thanks to you.
March 6, 2009, 8:50 pm
El from Park Slope says:
You were such a great force of information and insight in brooklyn. You will be greatly missed. You have touched so many lives.
March 7, 2009, 12:32 pm
Deborah Matlack from Bay Ridge says:
I never met Bob but he was a friend to me, I will never forget his kindness. He regularly published my Brooklyn photos on gowanuslounge.com for which I am very grateful. Not only did he cover all the news regarding the overdevelopment of our beloved borough, he impressed me most of all with his heart for animals. And don't forget all the street couches! I miss you, Bob.
March 7, 2009, 6:20 pm
Stacey from Park Slope says:
I can't believe he is gone and I never even knew him! It's amazing how you get so used to reading a stranger's musings everyday. Bob was on top of all things brooklyn and he will be sorely missed.
March 8, 2009, 3:23 pm
WARREN A. GUSKIND says:
MY DEEPEST SORROW IS EXTENTED TO HIS FAMILY FOR THIER LOSS.
March 13, 2009, 11:32 am
mc from gowanus says:
Bob we will all miss you, we all know that life is hard and especially in Brooklyn so much stuff going on, we all appreciated the hard work and fair reporting you did, beutifull site, I wish you eternal piece.
March 16, 2009, 3:35 pm
Claude Scales from Brooklyn Heights says:
I deeply regret not having had the opportunity to get to know Bob better. He was a great asset to blogging, to Brooklyn, and to all whose lives he touched.
March 20, 2009, 1:27 pm
Cesar FuentesRed hook food vendors from Red Hook says:
On behalf of the Red Hook Food Vendors, I'd like to express my sadness to learn of Bob's passing & send my deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.
Bob was an amazing person who often visited our affair & wrote amazing notes of the food vendors & their foods. He was also one of our staunchest advocates when our group faced its darkest moments. Thanks in great part to Bob's support via his blogs & updates, we were able to gather popular support to survive & continue our 35 year tradition as one of the neighborhood's favorite culinary institutions. Bob will always be dearly remembered in our hearts.

Sincerely,

Cesar Fuentes
Executive Director
Food vendors Committee of Red Hook Park Inc.
March 20, 2009, 3:45 pm
CG from DC says:
He was a great photographer. God bless.
July 13, 2010, 6:42 am
Francesca from Washington, DC says:
I knew Bob Guskind in Washington, DC, back in the late 80's. This was, as it turned out, the beginning of his "disreputable dope fiend" days, but back then we were just being wild, dark, and punk rock. Even after a rather dramatic public breakup, I continued to drop by his apartment every so often to check in on him, and as happens, we eventually lost touch.

Ever since it was possible, I'd search the internet for Bob to see where he was, what he was up to, and so on. I never wrote to him, choosing instead to keep watch from afar. I missed a few years in my check-ups, and am sad and shocked to see he'd passed away a few years ago.

I still have a small piece of the Berlin wall that he brought back - in his impeccable Bob timing, he just happened to be there when the wall was coming down; likewise, there are many memories of drinking grappa (lots and lots of grappa) from pretty bottles, and lots and lots of very loud music.

His photojournalism was amazing - stunning, really. He was a solid journalist, too, of course, and this was long before blogging existed. He wrote and took photos like a fiend - everything he did, in fact, he did with passion and gusto and sometimes (depending) did it a bit too much.

I will always remember Bob for his love of music, passion for life, and curiosity about the world. I'm very sorry to know he's gone.

Belated condolences to his widow and to his mother, whom I met many, many years ago. I know she adored him.

-Francesca Amigo
Nov. 1, 2011, 1:23 pm

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: