Tonight! Church of Michael Jackson opens!

Community Newspaper Group

Don’t miss our updates:

The King of Pop — a god?

That’s sort of the idea behind “The Cult of Michael Jackson,” a deity-themed “church” dedicated to the ultimate American icon at a Williamsburg gallery.

The man in the mirror on Jackson’s god-like status is Rusel Parish, whose exhibition doesn’t so much elevate Jackson to the heavens, but at least makes the artistic link between Jacko’s sequined glove and classic religious reliquary.

“I do not want to portray him as godlike,” Parish said. “It’s a discussion about how as a society we put figures on a pedestal. It’s probably a study of my own addiction.”

The 31-year-old transplant from Colorado knows that his obsession with Jackson is nothing compared to how the singer achieved god-like status around the world.

As a result, Parish’s exhibit explores that nearly universal devotion to the mercurial artist, whose metamorphosis over the years shocked and dismayed, but did little to shake the ardor directed his way.

Whether you identify with the young, innocent Michael or the older, more inscrutable one, the late moonwalker’s image remains instantly recognizable the world over.

“There are a few elements to him that people can latch onto easily,” Parish says. “You just know him by his silhouette.”

Spread out over two rooms, the “Chapel” at Figureworks is intended to afford devotees and the just plain curious with a place to come and contemplate MJ through faux-orthodox iconography and a “full line of dolls representing the reinvention of his life.”

You can also pick up some collectible soap, candles and T-shirts.

“‘The Cult of Michael Jackson’ transcends thousands of years of hate, war, and spiritual prisons of other religions; and instead brings the world into a new order: one of love, soul, funk and pop,” Parish said. “We could end the entire world’s suffering and we could literally blame it on the boogie.”

The Cult of Michael Jackson at Figureworks [168 N. Sixth St. between Bedford and Driggs avenues, (718) 486-7021] opens on Sept. 11. Gallery hours are Friday–Sunday, 1–6 pm.

Updated 5:14 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

lor from maitland says:
you should not do this michael was a man of God not aGod of man yes we honor him for the work and appesate his talent michael wouldn,t want this he always gave the Glory to God michael loved God and honor and worship God he,s not God , he,s a man of God with a gentle beauiful spirit he michael yes we all love him dearly and rigthly so , that s crossing the line.
Sept. 11, 2009, 11:45 am
y from bklyn says:
is that poop on the picture?
Sept. 11, 2009, 12:28 pm
mary from ca says:
Will this be a traveling exhibit ? I am a big Michael J fan and would love this very different take on MJ.
Sept. 11, 2009, 1:34 pm
CoCo7 from Pasadena, CA says:
Michael often spoke as having been gifted by God and that he was "an instrument of nature" and it was his mission to share his gifts to help heal the world ... he gave glory to God, which some are not too quick to accept, even though he said this in various publicized interviews. I believe that it's because he was called to do this work by God, and that he actually fulfilled it, that is what gives Michael's life and death such significance to his admirers and followers. An instrument ...
Sept. 11, 2009, 1:42 pm
amritgona from albania says:
like it
Sept. 11, 2009, 3:05 pm
love mj says:
i love MJ i would love to attened this place..

God-like , yes but God no.
Sept. 11, 2009, 6:16 pm
369852147 from NONE says:
C
U
T
E
Sept. 11, 2009, 6:29 pm
Pacholo from Red Hook says:
Off The Wall! I like it.
Sept. 12, 2009, 4:38 pm
Unity from Oakland says:

Best MJ tribute music video ever:

www.michaeljacksonshiningDOTcom

We recently released a hip hop music video tribute for Michael's birthday entitled, Shining. This is probably one of the most thoroughly produced MJ tribute videos out there... amazing costumes, great lyrics, and tons of memorable and rare MJ video clips. Check it out if you love Michael, music, or videos.

You will not be disappointed.

michaeljacksonshiningDOTcom
Sept. 12, 2009, 5:25 pm
human from earth says:
Many accuse the fans of deifying MJ--well, certainly he is not referred to as a mere normal person as everybody---but he was definitely larger than life--that is why even just his shadow is recognizable and doing an exhibit as this is I don't think elevating him in the same level as God--I just compare it with the same way other cultures would have an anteroom in their own homes dedicated to a departed loved one where their memory can be honored. I think I can safely say I can visit this and still come out knowing who my real God is.
Sept. 13, 2009, 1:36 am
Shady from South Brooklyn says:
Paedophile.
Sept. 14, 2009, 9:06 am
Judy says:
Dont worship Michael, worship God ... thats what michael would have wanted:-)
Sept. 16, 2009, 6:41 am
Judy from South Africa says:
I wander what Michael would say, if he saw this church... I think he'd giggle, but thats just me hay:-). GOSH! I miss my MJ so fweaking much:'(. mwa dude! Jesus loves you!

[a lil suming suming, from Michael J. Jackson]
" and when the beat is dead and gone, yeah, you know that LOVE survives, and we can ROCK forever, yeah ..."
Sept. 16, 2009, 6:48 am
Star from South Africa...Durban says:

[a lil suming suming, from Michael J. Jackson]
Sept. 16, 2009, 6:51 am
p from hood says:
One less N I G A R inthe world
Sept. 24, 2009, 1:01 pm
Lea from England says:
Racist ignorant scum mj was worth one billion of you thick idiots what have you achieved in your ——ty lives?
July 21, 2012, 9:54 pm
Alka from India says:
you ought not do this michael was a godly man not aGod of man yes we respect him for the work and appesate his ability michael wouldn,t need this he generally gave the Glory to God michael cherished God and respect and love God he,s not God , he,s a righteous man with a delicate beauiful soul he michael yes we as a whole adore him beyond a reasonable doubt and rigthly so , that s going too far. http://www.alkatalwar.com/
Sept. 26, 2017, 5:32 am
John from England says:
Many blame the fans for idolizing MJ- - well, unquestionably he is not alluded to as a negligible typical individual as everyone - however he was certainly overwhelming - that is the reason even quite recently his shadow is conspicuous and doing a show as this is I don't think hoisting him in an indistinguishable level from God- - I simply contrast it and a similar way different societies would have a waiting room in their own particular homes devoted to a withdrew cherished one where their memory can be regarded. I want to securely say I can visit this and still turn out knowing who my genuine God is. Gurgaon Fairy
Sept. 26, 2017, 5:33 am

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your community:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!