The hemisphere’s most-impoverished nation has just been devastated by a massive earthquake. Here’s how to help the people of Haiti right now:
• The Red Cross: President Obama has recommended concerned citizens donate directly to the Red Cross by accessing the agency’s Web page set up for that purpose. The Red Cross has also set up a “donation by cellphone” serivce that allows you to give $10, which will be charged on your next mobile bill, by merely texting “HAITI” to 90999.
• The Mayor’s Fund: Mayor Bloomberg is directing money for relief efforts through the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City. Call 311 to donate.
• UNICEF: The United Nations Children’s Fund has set up a donation Web site.
• Save The Children: This organization’s donation Web site can be accessed by clicking this blue link.
• Doctors without Borders: This amazing group is already on the ground in Haiti. Donate by clicking on this Web link.
• Reaching U.S. Citizens in Haiti: Anyone concerned about American citizens who are in Haiti should contact the American Citizens Service at (888) 407-4747.
©2010 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.