Politics as usual! So-called ‘reformer’ gets job with Lopez’s protege

So much for reforming the Brooklyn Democratic organization!

Bay Ridge District Leader Kevin Peter Carroll — who ran as an anti-establishment reformer this fall — just got a political job with Councilman Steve Levin, the protege of county boss, Assemblyman Vito Lopez.

The new post puts Carroll, 24, just two degrees of separation from Lopez, the embattled pol he lambasted during his election campaign — yet backed for another term as county boss in his first official act as district leader.

Levin (D–Brooklyn Heights) said his decision to name Carroll his new legislative director was not a patronage appointment or payback to Lopez’s new buddy.

“Politics was not a consideration in this decision,” said Levin, who is Lopez’s former chief of staff and a former staffer at the Lopez-founded Ridgewood Bushwick Senior Citizen’s Council, the scandal-riddled non-profit that’s currently the target of at least two government investigations.

Other politicos weren’t too pleased that Kevin Peter Carroll had come in from the cold. Park Slope District Leader Chris Owens said Carroll was just being paid pack for helping Lopez’s agenda.

“It’s clear that [Carroll’s] political independence and ‘reform’ credentials have been compromised,” said Owens, who did not vote for Lopez for re-election.

Carroll began his career in public life as the founding member and president of Brooklyn Democrats for Change. When he ran for district leader, his website was filled with demands for reform.

“There is a crisis of confidence in the leadership of our party and we must organize so that the Democratic Party will stand again for those values that brought us to it,” he wrote. “Democratic public officials must behave as Democrats or be removed if they are only interested in special interests and their own re-elections.”

During a debate against incumbent Ralph Perfetto in our office, Carroll described himself as the “independent candidate” and lambasted Perfetto as Lopez’s horse in the race.

“I’m not happy with the direction county is going,” he said. “I believe in reforms and the county organization needs to be reformed.”

Yet after besting Perfetto with 62 percent of the vote, Carroll’s first act as district leader was to re-elect Lopez as chairman — a move that took reform-minded District Leaders Owens and Lincoln Restler by surprise.

For his part, Carroll stuck to the script.

“I’m very excited to be part of Steve’s staff. It’s a great opportunity,” he said, days after Lopez surprised everyone by showing up at a Christmas party hosted by the political club Carroll founded, according to the blog Bay Ridge Interpol.

His new boss and party pal notwithstanding, Carroll still feels he can still make good on his campaign promises while working for Levin.

“I ran as an independent reform candidate and I’m still fighting for reform in Albany and redistricting reform,” he said. “But no matter what I do, even if I join a non-profit that deals with saving puppies, there are some people out there who are going to find a problem with it.”

Carroll was quick to defend Lopez on his most controversial recent move: filing to collect his retirement pension though he remains in office, a practice known as “double dipping.”

“[Double dipping is] legal and a lot of Assemblymembers collect their pensions. Who am I to judge?” said Carroll, who also lambasted the investigations into Lopez’s non-profit.

“People have been talking about this investigation for months,” he said. “There’s got to be a point when you say, ‘If you got something, indict the man. If you got nothing, then stop talking about it.’ ”

Attempts to reach Lopez were unsuccessful. A reporter was kicked out of Lopez’s annual charity dinner on Saturday — despite being invited by Lopez to cover the Christmas Day event!

Carroll doesn’t believe that the favorable treatment he’s given to Lopez led to his new employ. After interning with Assemblyman Jim Brennan (D–Park Slope) and Assemblywoman Janele Hyer Spencer (D–Bay Ridge), he feels he’s well suited for the job.

He also worked for then-Councilman David Yassky’s 2009 bid for Comptroller, and knows the district Levin represents.

“I was impressed with [Carroll’s] knowledge of the district,” Levin said. “He’s worked on legislative issues before and understands New York City politics.”

No question about that.

me from me says:
u know they say if u can't beat them, join them. true reform comes within the system. It is not about sitting back; complaining about everything; going to the media about everything and criticizing the opponent. true reform is partaking in the establishment and getting people to see how things should be done the right way.

It's very easy to sit back and complain, but not too many people do the work that Kevin Carroll and Steve Levin and Vito Lopez do on a day-to-day basis. We should applaud them and not criticize them (especially when it's a newspaper that's run by Newscorp/Rupert Murdoch.

*Seems like the real estate people have it out for a certain housing chairman. *
Dec. 27, 2010, 12:44 am
gail from the south says:

I have been a vocal supporter of Kevin Peters on all the blogs and I think he will be a perfect fit for the position. Even this newspaper admits that he is qualified for the position he has taken in Councilman Levin. His work with 2 Assemblymembers and the Councilman who represented the district before proves he well suited, Good choice Councilman.

But it is fair to criticize our elected officials. But I think some at this paper and on the blogs make it so personal as if Carroll, Lopez, Levin are the worst and Owens, Simon, Restler are the best.
Come on guys nobody is perfect Lets not forget that its was owens campaign who brought race into hes 4th out of 4 race for congress criticizing David Yassky for even running for congress and giving the people a choice, and it was lincoln restler who spent a recorded setting about of money to win his leadership post. both positions are hardly very "Reform" of these so called reformers.

I have yet to see anything where Carroll said he would do one thing and then did another, Did you ever think he was talking about Congressman McMahon who voted more like a republican when he said "There is a crisis of confidence in the leadership of our party and we must organize so that the Democratic Party will stand again for those values that brought us to it,” . “Democratic public officials must behave as Democrats or be removed if they are only interested in special interests and their own re-elections.”

Carroll is far from perfect but that puts him in the position of everyone of us. Congrats KPC on the new job both of them, You will go far I had the pleasure of meeting you and I was impressed. We don't agree on everything but you are a dedicated and smart young man. If your reading this don't let this get you down. Keep fighting for what you believe in.
Dec. 27, 2010, 1:56 am
sam from park slope says:
Given that District Leader is an unpaid volunteer position, where does Chris Owens work? Very easy to be holier than thou when you don't work and don't need to work. Alan Fleishman who he replaced, had a patronage job for years at the City Comptrollers office, I guess being a professional activist (trust-funder) is better?
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:45 am
Tony from Bay Ridge says:
Sounds like it pays very well. Ask Kevin Peter Carroll.
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:31 am
sam from park slope says:
And, to be fair, I checked Owens' campaign website that is still up, and it is pretty thin on descriptions of his paid work experience. I know he used to work for an education not for profit, but not any more. Most of us have to work just to pay the rent and other bills. It must be nice to be the son of a former US Congressman.
Dec. 27, 2010, 12:04 pm
Hanz from Bay Ridge says:
seems to me Chris Owens had a long stint with HMO's when they were in vogue... good way to reap the money tree while doing reform?
Dec. 27, 2010, 1:08 pm
seems to me from no one in bay ridge is named Hanz says:
seems to me these are all posts from KPC under different aliases. nice try fellas.
Dec. 27, 2010, 4:13 pm
Harry says:
Dear "Me from Me",
Explain to me exactly what Kevin Carroll does for the community on "a day-to-day basis"
Dec. 27, 2010, 4:23 pm
Mickey from Park Slope says:
i bet Kevin Peter will be doing a lot of sweeping and cleaning of Levin's office. Legislative Director? that's vito. he's a janitor.
Dec. 27, 2010, 4:39 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
Chris Owens and Lincoln Restler have made Vito Lopez the centerpiece of their Campaign. The election is over, so shut up already, or get jobs at TMZ and become Gossip reporters. Both of you are nothing more than kitchen ——es. I have observed the both of you and besides being egotistical maniacs you also have a classic case of “fatal attraction” when it comes to “Vito Lopez.” I strongly suggest that “The Chairman” check any covered pots on his stove as there might be a rabbit boiling.

Let’s talk about Chris Owens first, one can assume that his Dad Congressman Major Owens never helped him in anyway, never got him a job, or made any political connections for him. Let’s bet his trust fund that Chris Owens made all his own money, not a slug nickel from dada. This “Reformer” had a grassroots’ campaign where average folk contributed their food and rent money to see this noble man rise from the ashes. Ok, maybe I’m embellishing just a tad. He’s a trust fund baby, who is so out of touch with the people, he’s been seen throwing dirt in their faces as he walks by. At his first District Leaders Meeting he, and Lincoln were involved in a “circus-style” protest outside of St. Francis College. There were fools to the left and fools to the right and I stood in the middle. Judge not a man by his actions but judge the man by the poster and chants he uses. “Veto Vito” was brilliant, intellectual, dazzling, but honestly it was moronic. To hear the Chant it sound almost Sacred “Vito Vito” I was in awe of all of Vito’s groupies. I had no idea there was a protest going on.

Let’s get To Lincoln, another trust fund baby “the kid of the people” spent $90, 000 of his own money to be elected to a non-paying position. That money could have been put to better use buying food for the poor in the area he lives in. Lincoln and Chris both want to run for “Political Salaried Positions” like City Council, Assembly. Make no mistake these reformers want their piece of pie. Their nit-picking of Kevin Peter Carroll is one of jealously. Carroll won against an 18 year incumbent who was backed by the machine. However, Kevin Peter Carroll did it the old fashioned way, by ringing doorbells, trains stops, senior centers, supermarkets, this kid did it all without any real money. He has a job with Councilman Levin because he is qualified, as we can all see he knows politics.

I Hate to burst your hateful delusional bubble, about Vito Lopez, did not invent the “double dipping” standard that is allowed by the NYS Assembly, he is not using a “loophole” it’s legal. Wow Vito Lopez is doing something Legal, bet that pisses the “Righteous Reformers” off.

To the “so-call reformers” reform your own agenda, reform your impure motives. Most notably, your only “claim to fame” is bashing Vito Lopez, pretty pitiful don’t you think?
Dec. 27, 2010, 7:03 pm
Chris Owens from 52nd AD says:
Hmmmm ...

For the record, as someone who has myself been unemployed at various times in my life -- with two kids and a mortgage to pay, I am happy that Mr. Carroll finally found meaningful employment. He was looking for awhile and I don't wish the misery of unemployment on anyone. The comment I emailed to the Brooklyn Paper included that sentiment, which was omitted. Mr. Carroll and his father have each been friends of mine and I wish them no ill will.

And, for those who like to disparage my financial history, I am currently a consultant working for a living like anyone else. No one in the Owens family has ever gotten rich off of politics (or acting or music or non-profit management) and no one has had the luxury of living off of anyone's trust fund.

Finally, I stand by my analytical and objective statement that Mr. Carroll's reform credentials and potential have been undermined by his taking this job with Councilmember Levin. An aggressive reform agenda is forthcoming in the New Year and it is hard to imagine a Democratic District Leader supporting items on this agenda that promote participatory democracy and place constraints on the County Leader's power when that same individual is employed by the County Leader's close ally.

The concern expressed about Mr. Carroll's appointment is the same concern that was expressed by those who may have admired Ms. Hope Reichbach's intelligence, compassion and tenacity when she campaigned for female District Leader here in the 52nd Assembly District against incumbent Jo Anne Simon, but who believe, based upon extensive experience, that Reichbach's ability to be an "independent" and "reform-minded" District Leader was virtually non-existent so long as she worked on the staff of Councilmember Levin.

If Mr. Carroll proves this analysis -- and history -- to be incorrect, I will be the first person to congratulate him and trumpet his achievements as a reformer. In the interim, I am simply happy he has a job.

If anyone has a particular opinion you wish to share with me, feel free to email me: chris@owensforchange.com
Dec. 27, 2010, 7:10 pm
sam from park slope says:
He had been looking for a while? What a catty and passive agressive statement! Consultant? That's like the king of all made up jobs! And analytical and objective? You sound like an unreconstructed marxist! Too funny!

Hey Owens, stop trying to build your reputation off the misery of others and build something yourself!
Dec. 27, 2010, 7:45 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
What is reform, reform to your way of thinking Chris, simon's or lincoln's? Each one of you are planning a power grab. Becoming a District Leader was a mere stepping stone. Kevin Peter Carroll did not run his campagin against Vito Lopez, actually it was more against Shelly Silver. If Carroll can work with Lopez good for him, that shows he is able to work with all.

To the Re:Formers:

"You cannot fool any of us people any of the time!!!!
Dec. 27, 2010, 7:54 pm
Johnny Walker from Bay Ridge says:
Someone unplug the computer.
It looks like Kevin's dad is drunk and posting again.
Why don't you let your son fight his own battles...

Kevin made his bed and now its time for him to lay in it.
We all know these pro-Kevin comments were made by
Kevin's dad. Its not very hard to tell.
Dec. 27, 2010, 7:57 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
Johnny Walker you need your plug pulled. This is not just about KPC. it's about the sef-appointed re-formers. I'm sick of their only issue being Vito Lopez they are single-minded mutants.
Dec. 27, 2010, 8:11 pm
Gail from The South says:
I know Kevins Dad very well he does not even use email never mind comment on a obscure blog, Who ever is telling the truth in Brooklyn I know its not Kevins Dad.
And on that note bring a mans father into the conversation who has not ever run for office before is the lowest of low.
I guess if you have nothing to say to the arguments made then you start your personal attacks on a persons family.
Shame on you Johnny Walker I think you need to go to an AA meeting because you are clearly drunk and have no idea what your talking about.
Dec. 27, 2010, 8:47 pm
sam from park slope says:
And it is funny that neither the article above nor Owens mentions one policy change that makes them "reformers." Just being anti-Lopez isn't a platform. These reformers have no agenda, and, to be honest, no support other than the three stooges (Restler, Simon, and Owens).
Dec. 27, 2010, 8:47 pm
C.C. from Yellow Hook says:
So what you are saying is Kevin is "for" reform while also being "for" Vito? That is a complete and utter contradiction. Fact is, Kevin doesn't even know what he's for or against. He is 24-years-old.
What is a 24-year-old kid going to tell me about my life?
Dec. 27, 2010, 8:55 pm
gail from the south says:
add in their south brooklyn stooge Joanne Seminara (failed 3 time council candidate) whos only thing she has done in the last 8 years is bring nasty personal politics into the local non partisan community baord and you have the whole anti lopez block, what alot of support. Pleaze.
Dec. 27, 2010, 8:56 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
Correction there are more than three stogges, there are four, you failed to mention the uptight bitter Joannne Seminara, the Committee person from the 60th. I'd like to know what these clowns do to make their community better. Lopez has been an advocate for senior citizens for many years.
Dec. 27, 2010, 8:59 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
Hey Yellow Belly, so Kevin Peter Carroll is 24 and Lincoln Reslter is only 26 what is your point?
Dec. 27, 2010, 9:17 pm
Tony from Bay Ridge says:
This article only mentioned Restler in passing, why are the county hacks so obsessed with him? If you want to go after Owens for what he said in this article I think that's fair.

The POINT, though, is that Lincoln Restler did not get a job as a reward for his vote. Kevin Peter Carroll most certainly (and obviously) did.
Dec. 27, 2010, 9:22 pm
Tellinng The Turth from Brooklyn says:
Tony. go get pizza, sip a beer. Sit on your sofa and watch some TV. Let us the informed ones write about the facts and truth. Someone brought up KPC's age, so Lincoln's age was brought up. As far as Obessed the 4 stooges are obsessed with Vito Lopez. Vito is a good man, best Chairman, since Meade Esposito.
Dec. 27, 2010, 9:31 pm
Tony from Bay Ridge says:
I would go get a pizza if I could walk down the street. Too much snow right now. But I will drink a beer. I'll be sure to make a toast to the eventual indictment of Chairman Lopez.

You picked the wrong side Kevin. When he goes down, you will too.
Dec. 27, 2010, 9:41 pm
Woodsy from BKLYN says:
What's sad is the people on here who are defending Kevin are all the same person while the people who are questioning Kevin and calling him out on his lies are actually all different people! That says a whole lot.

Tell me then, what has Kevin done for Bay Ridge? Name ONE THING Kevin has done for this community? ONE THING. We all know Kevin moved here and started joining clubs for the sake of joining clubs. He did NOTHING as a member of these clubs aside from being a lump on a log and befriending old ladies.

After a year or two, Kevin's decided it was "his time" and waged a war against Ralph Perfetto. A man who had dedicated his entire life to this community.

Kevin Peter Carol is a joke. End of story. Everybody knows it; even his own PAC knows it. Kevin has done ZERO for Bay Ridge.
Dec. 27, 2010, 9:42 pm
A Letter to Mr. Thomas Tracy says:
Mr. Tracy,

I praise you for your unbiased, valorous journalism.

However, I must correct you as you claim Mr. Carroll began his career in public life as the "founding member and president" of the Brooklyn Democrats for Change political action club and this is not accurate.

As most people know, Mr. Carroll took over the Brooklyn Democrats for Change political action club by employing the time-honored method of cheating known as “packing” or “stacking”.

Simply described, Mr. Carroll brought new members into the fold at a moment in time so that at the next vote they would be qualified to make the "right" choice and elect him President.

Naturally, these new members were never seen again once Mr. Carroll was elected to be the new President.

THIS is how Mr. Carroll became "President" of the Brooklyn Democrats for Change.

In my opinion, Mr. Carroll has been a snake since day one; and once a snake, always a snake - unfortunately.
Dec. 27, 2010, 9:49 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
The fall and demise of vito lopez has been greatly exaggerated. The joke is you supported Cousin Vinny and he lost. He should be in jail. Kevin won and won Big. Ralph is a fraud and should retire in shady brook home because he is shady!
Dec. 27, 2010, 9:49 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
You people are as bitter as the queen b's Joanne Seminara and joann simon. Kevin Peter Carroll Won his election. He now has a great job and is a rising star, while you are lack luster hasbeens. Nowhere people going nowhere!!!!!
Dec. 27, 2010, 9:54 pm
Ed McMahon from StarSearch says:
Oh and Janey Groff is going places. Look out Albany! There's a new sherrif in town. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Best thing I have heard all night - "Kevin is a rising star" LOL! LOL! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Straight to the moon, Alice!
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:01 pm
Telling The Truth from brooklyn says:
Ed McMahon what do you know you're dead. Glad to amuse you, however, when Kevin is elected to office, we're have a laugh on you, hahahahahahahaha
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:04 pm
Bob from USA says:
Why is everyone interested in Kevin Peter Carroll's connection with Vito Lopez . Carroll is a district leader and Lopez is the chairman, end of story. There should be an invesigation why chris owens and that lincoln restler spent the kind of money they did on an unpaid party position. Does anyone smell something fishy here?
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:19 pm
Tony from Bay Ridge says:
Little simple math and it looks like Kevin spent more per vote than Chris Owens.
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:23 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
That's some fuzzy math you have going. Kevin did not have much money. To compare him with owens and restler is a joke. They have trust funds he does not.
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:35 pm
Tony from Bay Ridge says:
You realize that Kevin's district is a third of Owen's district and a lot less Democratic as well.

In the 52nd there were about 9496 votes cast.
In the 60th there were about 1677 votes cast.

Chris Owens spent $5,332. $.56 per vote.
Kevin Carroll spent $14,116 for $8.41 per vote.

Kevin even out-spent Lincoln Restler, per vote.

Restler spent $7.61 per vote.
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:49 pm
Woodsy from BKLYN says:
Hear, Hear Tony!

Boy Kevin also hired an infamous Republican direct mail assassin to help him defeat Mr. Perfetto for the unpaid position in question.

And so I will ask you again: What has Boy Kevin ever done for the community - Before or since he became "District Leader"?

Nada. Zilch. Zip. Zero. Nothing.

Boy Kevin could have done lots of good for Bay Ridge as a member of the Bay Ridge Community Council. Instead, he resigned so he could chase his dreams to rule the world.

Boy Kevin only cares about Boy Kevin -- and there is nothing wrong with that -- but let's not pretend Boy Kevin cares about anything else - Especially his neighborhood.
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:19 pm
Mark H. from Bay Ridge says:
"Telling The Truth from Brooklyn" is Janey Groff.
The same woman who was seen on video agreeing with Michael Grimm's politics....
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:34 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
Mark, I dont know who janey Groff is. Please don't speak for me, who have no idea who I am.
Dec. 28, 2010, 12:05 am
Hear hear, KPC Won, lol
Dec. 28, 2010, 12:06 am
Mark H. from Bay Ridge says:
Nobody knows who Janey Groff is, it's OK. You are not alone there.

Yes, KPC won. So what? He has no power whatsoever and has done absolutely nothing.
Dec. 28, 2010, 12:15 am
Jacob Thompson from Richmond says:
The Brooklyn "reformers" have all been consistent.

Get on the payroll and forget the reform.
Dec. 28, 2010, 3:36 am
Lisa F. from Park Slope says:
I think Chris Owens was just stating the obvious and he should be commended for it. That's what real reformers do--shed light on the shadows of backroom deals like this one.

I think every voter who voted for Kevin Peter Carroll because he said he was going to reform the county Democratic organization knows now that they've been hoodwinked, plain and simple. Kevin will just have to answer to the voters next time he tries to sell them a bill of goods.
Dec. 28, 2010, 11:50 am
Jack Ryan says:
Why am I not at all surprised?

On the campaign trail, Kevin Peter Carroll spoke of “rejecting 'the powers that be' and those who serve them” and “electing those who serve the people instead.”

Then just days after winning the seat from veteran community activist, and former New York City Ombudsman, Ralph Perfetto, Kevin went back on his word; publicly supporting “the powers that be”. Yes, the very same “powers that be” which Kevin built an entire campaign on rejecting.

It would appear to me that there are two types of young politicians in Brooklyn these days: the reformers and the unemployed.

The reformers aren't afraid to take on Vito Lopez because they have jobs and are gainfully employed. Whereas the unemployed are afraid to challenge, and stand up to, Vito because, quite simply, they are looking for a hand-out.

And now, with his gimme job in place, Kevin Peter proudly walks lockstep with the “powers that be”.

Kevin Peter Carroll, I'm sorry but this is no time to mince words: You are full of sh*t and everybody knows it. And if they didn't know it before, they certainly know now.

Happy New Year!
Dec. 28, 2010, 12:57 pm
Allen Bortnick from Bay ridge says:
I am beginning to think that Bay Ridge is a highly gerrymandered District, with a yellow stripe running down the middle of 7th Avenue, [with no voters living on that yellow line], until it reaches Park Slope, from whence the complimentary remarks about Kid Poison Carroll seem to come en masse. It's amazing how many non-residents of Bay Ridge talk as if they had voted for him in our District. If I remember correctly, slopes run downhill and that seems to be the direction taken by those residents with their laudatory comments. How big is the Carroll family anyhow?

I publicly blasted Kid Poison after the election, for the hit-peace that O'Brien put out for him, which he endorsed, making it look as if Cuomo was supporting him and Shelly Silver and Ralph Perfetto were cutting up millions of dollars where Bay Ridge was concerned. When I raised the subject with him, his response was, "I don't see anything wrong with that". In fact, Perfetto has opposed Lopez repeatedly at the District Leaders' meetings. If the day ever comes that Kid Poison turns on Lopez, it will herald a first. At a CB 10 meeting, Kid Poison came over to me, all smiles, wanting to shake my hand as if all was now well and we should be friends. My response is not printable, because it would have made the comments blog into a non-existent feature of the newspaper. As some have said in this blog, he is the perfect example of a politician and that is not meant as a compliment. He is extremely two-faced.

To give you an idea of his value to our Community, we are presently engaged in fighting with DOT over the mess they have made of traffic at 7th Avenue and 78th St. None of the residents has been satisfied with any of the three proposals they have come up with, including the original change they made, [without ever consulting CB 10 or the residents], to in some way salvage the problem they created. However, Kid Poison tried to be the first to speak at the CB 10 Traffic & Transportation Committee meeting that followed at the Town Hall meeting. The first words out of his mouth were to make a motion to accept the latest proposal in its entirety, even though the Board members and the entire audience were solidly against the newest DOT proposal. Is Kid Poison working to benefit Bay Ridge, or trying to curry favor with another self-distructing City Agency? A 5th grader can answer that!

I strongly suggest that unless you are left-handed, that you don't shake hands with him, because in all probability, you may wind up being stabbed in the back while he blithely smiles at your unprotected backside. Public denials on his part are just so much verbal persiflage. My best advice to you is that while we are stuck with him until the next election, start planning to vote for any opposing candidate, regardless of what their party is. It just can't get much worse than what we have now. And to the Slopers, please restrict your comments to where you vote. District Leader is not a national election. The now deceased Mr. Moynahan said it best when he said, "Politics is local." Let's keep it that way.
Dec. 29, 2010, 1:56 am
Tom from Sunset Park says:
Just for the recorded Mr Bortnick is neither a registered Democrat nor is his legal residence where he actually resides in bay ridge . So I guess Mr. Bornick should take his own advice and please restrict your comments to where you vote. You are low life scum who should never have been appointed to the Community Board, You are a disgrace and the only thing that we can all look forward to is the fact that you must be 100 years old and are going to die very soon. Sorry that your buddy my cousin Vinny Ralph Perfetto lost we all know how close the two of you are. By the way, question, for a man who accepts money from catholic charities how did can you afforded to take a full page color ad in the local newspaper that was so offence that it started a letter to the editor flourish because of how off the wall it is? Sounds to me like someone is abusing the good will of the church only to fill his own pockets or did you just take money from your buddies Perfetto/Seminara and put it in there name so they could avoid political embarrassment either wayyou want to claim the moral high ground, Laughable . Do us all a favor Save it for St. Peter.
Dec. 29, 2010, 2:23 am
JPM from bay ridge says:
Tom it figures that perfetto has non Democrats attacking the new district leader on these blogs (that FYI voters don't read) Just look at who he surrounds himself with, people like Johnathan Judge, James "Putz" McCall and The likes of other republicans in Bay Ridge. Its pathetic how the Perfetto/Seminara/Bortnick/Judge/McCall cabal are still upset over the fact that Carroll Crushed their Candidate, My Cousin Ralphie by a 2-1 Margin. That says something about the 18 year incumbent who was the only Brooklyn candidate who ran for re election this year to lose and to a 24 year old my god either this kid is the best thing since baked bread or Perfetto was just a flawed candidate who did nothing for bay ridge unless it helped him (maybe both) . Who Get over it, its a stupid District Leader post, but what do you expect from the local crazes like Bortnick, why don't you just got eat another donut.
Dec. 29, 2010, 5:36 am
Tom from Sunset Park is KPC says:
KPC, do yourself a favor and stay out of these comments sections.

It is both telling and sad that a person with such poor command of the written language is now a legislative director for a NYC Councilman.
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:46 am
Tom from Sunset Park says:
So far this people on this blog have tried to say that Mr. Carrolls father has commented, that a woman known as janey has commented. Now I am Mr. Carroll, my name is Tom Estrada and I live in sunset park. I am an out of work small business owner who had to drop out of school so I could work at my now closed family business so I am sorry if my writing standers don't match others who do this full time, but my sentiment is clear. I really don't care what any you think of me. As far as my feeling toward Mr. Carroll I don't have any, one way or another I did not even know who he was until after the election. That's why I had to start to ask around when I saw this attack article in the free newspaper and found out who Mr. Carroll and Mr. Bornick are and quite frankly I stand by my feelings of Mr. Bornick. Mr Carroll is a politician they come a dime a dozen, he is not worth having strong feelings for or against, but Mr. Bornick is a nut job who will say anything including personal attacks and he is a disgrace.
Dec. 29, 2010, 3:28 pm
laughingstock says:
Dear Kevin,
You have forgotten Rule #1:
People who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones...
You didn't even live in the 60th A.D. until a few months ago!!!
You lived with your parents in Dov Hikinds district and were
begging people to help find you an apartment in the 60th.
You moved to the 60th A.D. specifically so you could run for
District Leader. You don't care about anyone or anything aside
from yourself. Oh, and while we're here, why don't we talk about how your side of the family is the laughingstock of the real Carroll family from Park Slope and THAT'S why your parents moved to Bay Ridge........
Dec. 30, 2010, 1:58 am
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
Ralph Perfetto belongs in jail what he did was against the law. KPC did not lie about him, he simply told the truth. Deal with it. CB@10 has opened up a can of worms, the "Chariperon Joanna I'm so wonderully Bitter Seminara" should be removed at once. She is a District Leader and their is a conflict of interest. Community Boards are about serving the community not serving one's political ambitions. Throw the witch out now.
Dec. 30, 2010, 4:09 pm
Allen Bortnick from Bay Ridge says:
Not being as familiar with blogs as I should be, it always amazes me to see how gutless some people are, in their willingness to seek to be published, but to do it anonymously. I guess I'm a little bit old-fashioned, because I have no fear in using my name if I have something to say. I am not yet prepared to cower in fear when I speak the truth. As has already been noted, some of you have a problem with the English language, with capitalization, spelling and punctuation, as well as with your thought processes.

I also detect a bit of prejudice and an ethnic attack as well. It seems to prove what I have been told time and time again, that the average educational level in America is equivalent to that of a fifth grader. It's truly a shame to be made aware of this, over and over again, but far be it from me to try to stoop to that level. It is also sad to see that bullies exist in print as well as in our schools and elsewhere. I may be older and not as athletic as in my younger years, but my mind and my mouth still function well and I am not afraid to use either, or back what I say and do, by using my name.

There is undoubtedly a group of flag-waving people who would love to walk the streets with AK-47s and exact vengeance from those who wish to speak out. However, we are a nation of laws, and as such, I am in the unenviable position of trying to live within them. FYI, when I see a "mugwump" in politics, I have no problem in speaking out and I have been around long enough to know one when I see one. For those too young to know that word, it refers to a politician whose “mug” is on one side of the fence and whose "wump", [for politeness' sake, an alias for rump], is on the other side of the fence.

Kid Poison Carroll has started out in politics being a "mugwump", and worse yet, did it by using a hit-piece as a decidedly negative part of his campaign. For this, I cannot and will not forgive him. My ad was clear and direct and my quote from our conversation were his exact words. If you choose to defend him, then you have bought in to his type of politics and that is inexcusable.

Of late, whenever there is an election, the first thing that comes up, is statements by politicians decrying any such activity. Too many of them,resort to negativism anyhow, and look to cover their backs by saying that, "It is the way we do things, to make our point." I don't buy into that, but perhaps your bent mentalities can accept it as the cost of doing political business.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, that is probably why half of the electorate doesn't even bother to go out and vote. What is even worse, is that in the Primary, less than 10% of the electorate bothers to come out in New York City and because of how our system has been set up by the politicians, in effect, that is the election. Amazingly, in the last election, one, and only one candidate, managed to win a seat by using write-in votes. It is a sad testimonial that will probably never happen within our five boroughs, especially in light of what I see in the blogs, most of them posted anonymously.

We can probably go back and forth on this blog forever, but to me, Carroll just isn't worth wasting the time over, at so early a date before the next election. Let the papers and others who follow his activities keep us apprised and informed. Perhaps we can best settle it by saying, "Between all of us, let's agree to disagree and see what time shows us about him in his new-found career." As to what I said before, if you want to continue blogging, quit being anonymous with a pseudonym. Why don't you just 'man up' and use your name as I do? I promise to not hunt you down personally. I don't think it's worth the effort.
Dec. 30, 2010, 5:35 pm
Kevin is a little boy from Dov Hikid's district where Kevin's parents live says:
"Community Boards are about serving the community not serving one's political ambitions. "

Kevin, you aspired to join the Community Board PRECISELY to serve your political ambitions.

Every civic club you joined was strategic to serve your delusional political ambitions. Do you think we were all born yesterday?!

Kevin, you are a little boy with a whole lot to learn about a lot of things, not just "politics".

Telling The Truth from Brooklyn = Kevin Peter Carol.
It is SO obvious that's him posting under an alias.

Just admit its you. We all know it is you anyway.
Dec. 30, 2010, 9:29 pm
Telling The Truth from Brooklyn says:
You people are a humorless joke, first I was Janey, than Kevin's dad, now I'm Kevin. Who shall I be next President Obama. You are all much too dumb to try and get yourselfs involved in Politics, leave that to us.

I am not from Bay Ridge that is not the only neighborhood that has residents or elected officials. There is nothing wrong with KPC being a member of the CB, however, huge conflict of interest for Joanne Seminara" to be Chairperson, she did run for city council and is a district leader. She often Votes with Vito Lopez, strange, huh?? It's only a matter of time when she becomes bored with CB#10 and looks to run again, hopefully she will fly far into the night on her broomstick.
Dec. 31, 2010, 3:08 pm
Guy T from Fort Ham says:
Happy New Year, Kevin! You're a loser and everyone knows it. Buy a suit that fits while you're at it.
Dec. 31, 2010, 3:52 pm
Devil with the blue dress says:
I bet Kevin is reading all these comments thinking how loved and hated he is. As if he is so polarizing. He is such a controversial figure. Hahahahahahahahahahaha in reality he is a loser and nobody cares. These comments are being posted by 2, MAYBE 3, people under a variety of aliases. No one cares, Kevin. NO ONE.
Dec. 31, 2010, 4:21 pm
6' 11'' says:
My oh my, how things change. The lies being told her are truly precious.

Funny how Kevin got his sycophantic start sucking up to Joanne Seminara and volunteering on her City Council campaigns and now he's calling her a witch and not-so-secretly urging his new surrogate mom, the insufferable Janie Groff, to challenge Joanne in 2012.

Another thing: Kevin was never a founding member of Brooklyn Democrats for Change. On the contrary, the very reason that most all the actual founding members LEFT the club is BECAUSE of Kevin's childish behavior - and as another commenter stated, his deceitful club-packing tactics.

Kevin, you are telling so many lies you can't even keep up!
Jan. 1, 2011, 5:36 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!