Route problem! Thugs terrorize cyclists on bike path between housing projects

Brick-tossing teens have turned a major cycling route through a public housing project in Fort Greene into death trap, injuring or terrorizing at least six cyclists — one seriously — in a spate of attacks this year.

The attacks are launched from the maroon-colored pedestrian bridge that links the Walt Whitman and Ingersoll houses between Myrtle Avenue and Tillary Street.

In the most violent crime, the attackers pelted a computer programmer from Park Slope in the face with a brick, cracking his helmet and ripping a gash in his cheek on Aug. 12.

“It’s shocking unwarranted violence,” said the victim, Stephen Arthur, whose injuries were first reported by Gothamist, a blog. “This is a dangerous spot — something needs to be done.”

The brick busted his teeth and knocked him off his bike, requiring emergency surgery. The physical wounds have healed, but the mental scars linger; Arthur said that he has had trouble sleeping and has given up cycling, which he used to do every day.

“I don’t think my life will ever be the same,” he said.

The footbridge is a cowardly sadist’s dream: It sits above a well-used bike route that links Fort Greene and points south with the Manhattan Bridge, has a mesh cover that hides the perps, and is fenced off from the street, providing an easy get-away route.

“It’s definitely deliberate — but I don’t think it’s a ‘community vs. bikers’ thing,” said Yana Walton, who was hit with a fist full of rocks at the same location. “It’s a bunch of bored kids.”

Cyclist Erik Martig, who was grazed by a golf ball, confronted the teens who threw it, but the thugs got away.

“This could kill someone,” he said. “It’s like they think this is a video game or something.”

Other cyclists report being whacked with beer bottles, apples and water balloons at the same spot — although it’s unclear whether the same group of teens was involved in those attacks.

Police said that reports of violence have dwindled as the cold weather has reduced bicycle commuting, but cops are still hunting the attackers.

“We are working with the housing complex to increase patrol near the footbridge,” a spokeswoman for the 88th Precinct said.

Reach reporter Natalie O'Neill at noneill@cnglocal.com or by calling her at (718) 260-4505.

Reader poll

Is this a widespread problem, cyclists?

Updated 4:22 pm, December 13, 2011: Now includes a sixth victim.

Jim from Cobble Hill says:
When I was growing up, we knew to keep outta there. Why would anyone think things have changed?
Dec. 13, 2011, 7:42 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Oh, I don't know, Jim. Maybe the drastic drop in crime throughout the city and entire country? People don't live with the expectation of assault.
Dec. 13, 2011, 8:13 am
Jason from Downtown Brooklyn says:
These are good kids. They just need more youth centers and swimming pools. That's all.
Dec. 13, 2011, 8:18 am
Peter from Brooklyn Heights says:
@Jason

I'm glad you said it sarcastically, before someone said it i earnest.
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:10 am
Gary from Park Slope says:
How about fully fencing in the bridge and the ramp leading to it and/or putting up some security cameras?
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:15 am
Homey from Crooklyn says:
How about just blowing up the projects?
That would be a permanent fix.
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:21 am
D from Queens says:
Homey,

You'd be better off transitioning it to mixed income housing over a 5 to 10 year period.
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:33 am
David from Reality says:
In the affluent, white, NJ suburb I grew up in, my friends and I did stuff almost exactly as bad as this. I'm extremely grateful that we never hurt anyone, but we could have, very badly. We deserved a severe ass-beating as much as these kids. I just share this because I'm already hearing some stereotyping going on in the comments here. Don't stereotype, and don't share your toxic little contagious stereotypes that you've come up with or been infected with. If you do, you're as bad as these kids.
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:41 am
Jet Jones from Park Slope says:
I agree with D. The Project buildings aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Making them mixed income housing is the best way to improve these areas.
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:58 am
S from PPW says:
If a bunch of kids were hurling rocks and golf balls at car windshields, you can be sure the NYPD would be all over this location and not stop until they caught the kids responsible.
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:11 am
SarahA from Fort Greene says:
I was hit over the head with a bag of garbage by a group of hoodlums on Flushing, just past the Navy Yards heading towards Downtown. It was 5:30 in the evening on a Saturday.

I dropped my bike and chased them (to give them a scare) and the turned and threw rocks at me.
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:16 am
Nick from Williamsburg says:
I used to bike through this passage, and never saw anything like this, but it's not completely surprising to hear about. I'm surprised the police have been ineffective in treating the problem, since a massive precinct building is nearby, on Prince Street.
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:43 am
Burns from Ditmas Park says:
Natalie - Why didn't you interview that lovely Louise Hainline or another member of the brain trust known as Neighbors for Better Bike Lanes. She would have probably "confirmed" for you that this violence is CAUSED by the bike lane.
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:46 am
Tony from Minneapolis, MN says:
This happens on the Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis. The path is in an old sunken rail right of way, and there are many bridges over it, though they are regular roads and not ped only. I was hit by a rock a few years ago, and it still happens.
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:49 am
mitch from ft. greene says:
where are the parents of these kids?
I can just hear them now, "my kid would never do that"

the 88th needs to step it up, catch these kids and deal with them.

yes more community centers, but no, lets build a huge stadium for the Nets instead.
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:17 am
JR from Park Slope says:
I had heard the story of the brick and was thinking about it as I was riding home one evening on my bike on Navy STreet... As I was looking up to see if anyone was on that footbridge, and mentally visualizing what it would be like to have a brick thrown at me, I hear a loud thud and looked to my left and saw that someone had thrown 2 cans of soda at me. I saw the kids across the street behind a gate. I thought about riding over and confronting them, or contacting a police man, but I just rode on as I was late for something.
Dec. 13, 2011, 12:10 pm
Joey from Clinton Hills says:
88th doesn't want to deal with Ingersoll or Walt Whitman projects. As a biker, I've had rocks thrown at me in front of the Farragut projects (on Sand St.) and the Walt Whitman projects (this summer on Myrtle...tweens were throwing rocks and plenty of adults were witnessing this and not doing anything.)

Thanks for printing this article!
Dec. 13, 2011, 12:37 pm
S from PPW says:
What does Tal Barzilai think? I'm guessing he'd say the cyclists deserved it because they are like Hamas or something.
Dec. 13, 2011, 12:39 pm
Jason from Downtown Brooklyn says:
We're just lucky there isn't a Target nearby. Shopping carts are harder to dodge. It will probably take another incident like the one in Harlem before the 88th gets involved. I mean, it's not like any cars were damaged.
Dec. 13, 2011, 1 pm
December says:
Homie from Brooklyn said: " blow up the projects" Sounds just like a NYPD statement.
Sounds just like a terrorist idea.
Take a walk through the pjs Homie - lets see how much of a American hero you are.
Dec. 13, 2011, 1:03 pm
December 2 says:
Why don't some of you "non working" bikers ( and readers of this paper) lobby the Navy Yard entreprenuers, tourist stops, beer joints, slop houses, to hire some of the young people from the projects?
Then they will be working, while you bike around the nabe all day. You won't get hit with bricks?
Dec. 13, 2011, 1:09 pm
LimestoneKid from Wallabout says:
Will the NYPD react with the same level of intensity as they do when pedestrians complain about cyclists?
Dec. 13, 2011, 1:33 pm
ty from pps says:
December 2 -- Why does a person using a bicycle equate to "non working" in your dim little head? You actually made a very good suggestion about promoting jobs for local youth. Why did you have to turn it into a weird anti-bike rant?
Dec. 13, 2011, 1:57 pm
manhatposeur from Portlyn Lakes Park says:
Time to decentralizie and smash the projects.
Dec. 13, 2011, 2:20 pm
Karl from windsor terrace says:
just weighing in. this happened to me three years ago in exactly the same spot, actually same spot but other side of the bridge from where Stephen got hit. IN my case they were throwing handfuls of rocks. they just rained down on my really hard, cutting my mouth. I stopped thinking someone was throwing them from the top of the projects. dumb of me. I got it again, and thank God I was wearing my lid or I would have been knocked out. I scooted out of there, but didn't call the cops, as I guess I should have done. Now I'm always wary of that stretch. I'm still angry
Dec. 13, 2011, 2:20 pm
Homey from Crooklyn says:
December: you sound real stoopid.
I bet you wuz a honor stoodent...
Dec. 13, 2011, 2:43 pm
Diane Armbust from The Westbeth says:
Mr. Arthur has "given up cycling, which he used to do every day." Except if you say you'll bring your camera, in which case he'll be over lickity split with his bike and the brick. Wearing his helmet.

So then, Steve, NYCHA counsel no longer returning your calls?

I'd title the above photograph "Portrait, with Masonry, Pouty Face, and Totally Unexplained Wrist Brace."
Dec. 13, 2011, 3:50 pm
Stephen Arthur from Park Slope says:
Diane Armbust,

You have some really good inside info don't you?
Where did you spy on me from, because I have no idea who you are.
And yes, the NYCHA, is no longer returning my phone calls, why is that? Don't you think that is not nice or responsible?

I borrowed the bicycle and helmet from a friend who met me at the site, I have not ridden a bike since late September. I am not responsible for any errors that the kindhearted, in this case reporter made in this article.

I truth, I am not wearing a brace any longer, but it failed, and I am attending PT twice per week, and have to do exercises, so I avoid surgery. The photographer said I could wear, to demonstrate that I am still suffering injuries from that attack which might not have shown in the photograph otherwise.

Diane, since you attack me verbally, why don't you tell us who you are and how you know the information that you do and you are interfering with an investigation?

Do you have the courage that I have?

Stephen
Dec. 13, 2011, 4:16 pm
December 2 says:
@ homie:

you still sound like a terrorist. Can you stop or is it in your blood?
Dec. 13, 2011, 4:19 pm
prillis says:
that pic - it's the exact face my sister's dog makes when he gets caught crapping on her carpet.
Dec. 13, 2011, 4:45 pm
Homey from Crooklyn says:
December: like I said, you sound real stoopid...
If anyone's a terrorist, it's the brick throwing gangsta punks, not me, dumbazz...
Admit it, nothing good ever came out of the pj's...
Dec. 13, 2011, 4:46 pm
Stephen Arthur from Park Slope says:
Prillis,

What kind of face would you make if you had a brick thrown in your face? Show some respect.

Stephen
Dec. 13, 2011, 5:06 pm
prillis says:
poo-face, i'm sorry, but you don't magically gain respect by being a victim and having an article written about you.
Dec. 13, 2011, 5:29 pm
Stephen Arthur from Park Slope says:
Great prillis, I agree.
Disrespect me all you want!
Dec. 13, 2011, 5:41 pm
December says:
@ Homie...you really keep sound like transplanted trailer trash. You could be just another poverty pimp like the guy in the photo.

I double dare you - go on over there and confront those brick throwers!
I dare you!..... you online Terrorist!
Dec. 13, 2011, 6:04 pm
Diane Armbust from The Westbeth says:
Stephen, (assuming that is you)

Ha! Interfering with an investgation? That po-mouth photo instantly struck me as whack as hell and there's no fresh news hook to this months-old story. Any half savvy New Yorker should immediately suspect that you're trying to jumpstart a stalled lawsuit.

Now we come to learn that a) the photo really is staged and b) the City really isn't returning your calls. I'm two for two!

Your photograph reminded me of the shots of Vinny Gigante shuffling down Sullivan Street in the Village wearing only his pajamas and a bathrobe, except the Chin displayed more dignity.

But as far as I know, Stephen, you are not a ruthless and powerful crime boss feigning mental illness to keep the Feds at bay. And as far as I know, Stephen, you have had a legitimate accident and suffered legitimate injuries. I wish you a full recovery and a swift return to safe cycling. Sincerely. And I think the City should fence in the whole pedestrian ramp as securely as they do the bike lanes on the bridges.

Just please, Stephen, no more playing dress-up for the Brooklyn Paper.
Dec. 13, 2011, 6:37 pm
Legbust from The Eastbeth says:
Everyone plays dress-up for the Brooklyn Paper! In fact, Natalie O'Neill pretends to be a reporter every day!
Dec. 13, 2011, 7:45 pm
The cops from Brooklyn says:
Thank god no cars were hurt!
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:04 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First off, I do not condone such an act on what was done to those cyclists. If you think I am saying that they deserve it, then think again. However, when was the last time many of you bike zealouts, called out on your kind when they were corking tires of any car or truck? I would probably say never especially if it was done by Critical Mass, your own brothers in arms. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the bike zealouts here have corked tires in the past and/or are probably still doing it right now.
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:05 pm
Jen from Brooklyn Heights says:
Kids will be kids :P
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:24 pm
ty from pps says:
Oh Tal. You are precious.
Dec. 13, 2011, 9:27 pm
trans alt from my bike says:
Tal, keep breathing those exhaust fumes. Stop lying, you do condone what happened, and are enjoying every minute of coverage. You are a sad person.
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:37 pm
BERNIE GOETZ from KEW GARDENS says:
Tal,
It's zealots, not zealouts. Learn how to spell you dumb —— piece of trash.
Dec. 14, 2011, 1:29 am
Diane's a Freak from Eastgate says:
I don't know what's up with Diane but she sure does seem to know a lot about this case, and she's coming down on one of the victims. Something to hide? Maybe a little guilt or shame? Maybe you work for NYCHA????
Dec. 14, 2011, 8:40 am
Wednesday says:
I say, expose all of the ghetto pimps wanting to capitalize on the poor, who are easy targets, and city & state taxpayers.

Now we need someone to investigate the insurance claims for staged burglaries and break-ins.

The next big wave will be fires. These people are relentlessly entitled.

Lets put hereditary pimping and its related criminal enterprise to an end in the FG/CH gentrified paradise.
Dec. 14, 2011, 10:46 am
bklyndave62 from prospect heights says:

I grew up in crown heights. Went to school at Bklyn Tech as a rare whitey walkin in the nabe. Too often to count, some of these poor underprivileged gangs (it's always more than one) would rise up out of the muck and attempt to waylay me or my brother and sister by throwing rocks or bottles, try to rob me etc.. My sister was punched in the face so hard she was knocked out by a man/child over six feet tall. This happened right in front of Brooklyn Tech as she left for the day while dozens of other poor underprivileged students laughed and did nothing. My sister does not remember the incident. I sat in the police station with her and saw the police do absolutely nothing.
These kinds of things happened all the time in the early 70's and 80's.
Dumb feckin ——es like prilis and Diane would have been raped or mugged and beaten and then they would know to shut their pie holes and go back to being ball suckin house wives. Show some respect you stupid ——es?!
Thank you Mr. Arthur for coming back to let others know of the danger in the area and especially for putting yourself out there despite the that it allows for incredible stupid ——es like Prillis and Diane to attack you again from the comfort of their basement.
Anywho, back in the day when these things would happen I would get my ass home, call my buddies and they would meet me the next day on Dekalb, Flushing or Vanderbuilt ave and we would seek them out where many times we caught the poor underprivileged ahols doing the SAME EXACT THING TO SOMEONE ELSE!! and gave them a good ol ass beatin till they ran home to crying to their mommies. I'm sure the lesson went unlearned and those kids are doing time, dead or the proud baby daddy of the group that now terrorizes the unlearned. The police force, as stated previously, does nothing but show up to take a report. Protect yourself, be ready and kick ass. To Diane and Prilis go suck balls.
Dec. 14, 2011, 10:53 am
nobody from prospect heights says:
I've been a hiring manager in the service industry for 2 yrs now and have never had a person from public housing even apply for a job. True story
Dec. 14, 2011, 12:15 pm
Homey from Crooklyn says:
Nobody: why would they apply for a job?
They're already getting paid for being a drain on society.
Dec. 14, 2011, 12:28 pm
prillis says:
riveting story, bklyndave62.

so your sister, she ain't so pretty no more, right? teehee.
Dec. 14, 2011, 12:33 pm
(( from Fort G says:
Whether in the Fort Greene Projects or upscale suburbs, kids are going to do delinquent ——. Luckily, there's an easy solution here: don't ride your bike down that strip. Simple.
Dec. 14, 2011, 12:49 pm
anabdul from cobble hill says:
Hey cyclists: don't bike there. Problem solved.
Dec. 14, 2011, 12:57 pm
manhatposeur from Portlyn Lakes Park says:
^ Anabdul
Wrong. Everyone has the right to freely go about as logn as you are not harming anyone else.
Its time to end these ghetto attitudes before a majority of these kids will end uo in rikers or have a real short life span.
Dec. 14, 2011, 2:32 pm
Diane Armbust from The Westbeth says:
Freak--

There is nothing new being reported in this article. Zip.

In his photograph Mr. Arthur seems to demonstrate injuries of which he did not complain in the original Gothamist piece, linked above, which was published a few weeks after his August accident. His left wrist injury then was described as "road rash."

As an avid cyclist, I had read the Gothamist article when it first appeared. My best guess -- but a guess only -- would be that it had been linked to by Streetsblog's "Today's Headlines" feature, which rounds up items of note. I read Streetsblog nearly every day and have even commented on the site, though not in several months, and I have turned out for meetings/demos that I learned about through them.

That Gothamist story was the sole source of my information regarding Mr. Arthur prior to reading this article and commenting here. I see now that Gothamist also ran a piece on Stephen yesterday, similar but not identical to the largely news-free piece that Ms. O'Neill has written here. A nothing burger. Coincidence?

Here's my best GUESS (you've already read it) at what's going on drawn *solely* and *entirely* from what I've gathered through Gothamist and the Brooklyn Paper:

After months of unsatisfactory responses from some combination of NYCHA, NYPD and City Hall, Stephen has decided to contact various news outlets to try to move his complaints along. That's it.

I don't think I've performed some huge leap in logic to draw the inferences that I do, but that doesn't mean that I'm correct. Given compelling, new information I'm prepared to admit my mistake and to adjust my Reynolds Wrap accordingly.

Then maybe we can all move on to the mysteries of one *Kurt* Martig who, per the first Gothamist piece, witnessed Stephen's August accident and himself claims that "somebody threw a water bottle" at him from the same footbridge. And to one *Erik* Martig, who according to Ms. O'Neill, above, claims to have been "grazed by a golf ball, confronted the teens who threw it, but the thugs got away."

Do you really these inconsistencies are a simply mistakes? Or that they're merely the result of sloppy reporting?

Because --by Hanlon's Razor! -- I sure do, but I've been wrong before. Get well soon, Stephen.
Dec. 14, 2011, 4:10 pm
Sick and Tired from Clinton Hill says:
If these comments are the mindset of people over 21 what in Gods name do you expect from children in need of leadership.

People ALL of us need to be part of the solution not part of the already out of control problem. Walt Whitman & Ingersoll housing developments happen to be in the second poorest census tract in the City (average income $9,001).

As none of us live in a vacuum, instead of throwing fuel on the fire lets bring some water to put it out. Everybody's quality of life depends on it.
Dec. 14, 2011, 4:15 pm
Chicken from NYC says:
Kurt and Erik are brothers.
Dec. 14, 2011, 4:55 pm
Diane Armbust from The Westbeth says:
Thanks Chicken.

I figured that there wasn't much going on here that slightly better reporting wouldn't dispel. However, this kind of coziness passed over without explanation has to amount to some kind of journalistic transgression.

I also noticed that first Gothamist piece quotes Steven Arthur as saying "Transportation Alternatives told me that water balloons have been thrown from that spot as well." A simple Bingle search for "Stephen Arthur" indicates that there's a sometime TA member/volunteer who goes by the same name. If it's the same guy, it seems like you can't run a quote including the neutral phrase "Transportation Alternatives told me" without disclosing that relationship.

Again, all too cozy and all too sloppy, but likely not nefarious. Slightly better reporting, please, because on the Web everyone turns in to Nancy Drew or at least Jeff Gannon of Talon News. Maybe it's just me.

So writing as a long time Streetsblog reader, Chicken, if I had to guess I'd say that your last name rhymes with ThunderBear, but I am often wrong....

Either way cheers, and thanks again.
Dec. 14, 2011, 6:02 pm
Wednesday says:
I grew up in Brooklyn. I was the rare black kid walking through Bensonhurst to get to Lafayette H.S. There were only 8 of us and we caught hell every morning from the "vinny barbarino" thugs - some who were on the football team that hung out in the school yard waiting for the "nigkas" to get off the train each morning. They used to make us bow to them and say "good morning" before they let us pass them to get into school. Threw rocks and bottles at us after we passed. When we were late, we were placed on detention - no one ever did anything about these degenerates. Detention after school, left us Black and in Bensonhurst after dark needing to walk through a group of white guys to get to the train. One evening they beat my friend Calvin to a bloody pulp because he wouldn't bow and say "excuse me gentlemen" to get through. He was hospitalized with a broken jaw and nose...none of the guys were penalized. I can still see the face of the white woman who stood in her yard and said nothing or did nothing. "They were just kids" the football coach later explained.

Calvin never returned to Lafayette. 3 other parents took their children out. That left 3 girls 1 guy subject to being spat on, pushed around called "spooks" "tar baby" and "Roots" daily. The guy got it worse. My guidance counselor Mrs. Friedman told me one day during detention, I probably "wouldn't amount to anything anyway - you may as well drop out." I did.
I continued my education elsewhere, but promised myself I would never let myself be bullied by degenerates again.

Unfortunately they keep turning up and are now in what was a cozy, forgotten neighborhood spewing their venom, and trying to make a buck and a name for themselves off of poor people who live in a poor housing development that nobody really cares about.

For the 3 time in my life this week, I am proud to say I live in Ft. Greene and I am American. smh-lmao!

Dec. 14, 2011, 6:04 pm
I killed Josh from None ya says:
1. Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
2. Look at that pie faced whiney Bit*h ass m@@her f**ker...pasty, white boy on his special retro 10 speed....Yep, he should get at least a brick thrown at his repugnant ass.
4. Silly BIKE FREAK.
5. How could that happen???? After all he was in the magical bike lane....Plus he is after all an affluent white computer programmer from park slope....By G-D he is fu**king entitled to go anywhere he fu**king pleases....BROOKLYN after all is HIS oyster.
6. Poor bike freak. You saved up all your pennies and studied real hard to become a programmer at Pensyltucky U to come out here and BIKE through brooklyn. Yep cool yer sooo cooooool.
7. See thats a whiney bike freak for you. Twisting reality, planting faked articles because you didn't get your bike freak way.

SAD BIKE FREAKS.

WHERE'S THAT BRICK.
Dec. 14, 2011, 8:25 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
BERNIE, I think I should take you into a bathroom and wash that dirty mouth of your's, because where I come from, we don't appreciate hostiles such as yourself.
Dec. 14, 2011, 8:52 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
One other thing to say here. If anyone ever does vandalize my car, I will have them sued for the next millenium. In other words, your great, great, great, grandchildren will need lawyers after that. For the last time, I don't condone the action those kids did. However, when you bike zealouts continue to use that I am holier than thou attitude, you are asking for trouble. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if such zealouts such as Mark Gorton or Paul Steely White will never condemn Critical Mass whenever they cork or vandalize cars. As a matter of fact, whenever there is police presence at Critical Mass events, they cry foul on that even though that group has a history of the way they act.
Dec. 14, 2011, 9:32 pm
mike from GP says:
Diane Armbust -- You should hope that one day you'll have the courage that Stephen Arthur has.
Dec. 15, 2011, 6:51 am
ty from pps says:
This town is full of such horrible people. Seriously. Ugly, rotten-souled people.
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:48 am
S from PPW says:
Disgusting that the Brooklyn Paper apparently doesn't moderate racist and offensive comments.
Dec. 15, 2011, 11:05 am
Henry22 from south central says:
Why should they monitor racist comments?? So you're saying you want to censor people just because they call a spade a spade??
Dec. 15, 2011, 11:32 am
Diane Armbust from The Westbeth says:
So here’s the scoop, finally. Out here in meat world, I have called and written my elected officials. I have volunteered for the campaigns of candidates that I support. I have peacefully assembled, and petitioned the Government for a redress of grievances.

That's one reason why I read this article and the August Gothamist piece that preceded it. Obviously, it helps to be as well informed as possible in order to advocate for change on issues I care about. One of those issues is safe and effective car-free transportation for NYC.

The thing is, though, that instead of being better informed by what I've found here, I was left instead with more questions, left more confused. This confusion arose largely due to shoddy reporting on Ms. O'Neill's part, but also from the inclusion (without comment) of an obviously staged photograph in which Stephen Arthur was himself complicit.

Still, that doesn't make it acceptable for me to write cruel things about Stephen, as I did above in words I'll not repeat. I will repeat this, however: I wish Steven a full recovery and a swift return to safe cycling. He suffered a horrible, senseless assault and I'm sorry for not sufficiently acknowledging that. Wrangling with unresponsive City agencies can't have been pleasant, either. So if you're reading this, Steven, I apologize.

Meanwhile, here's a useful photo of the Navy Street footbridge at "L magazine": http://bit.ly/sde4QJ

That bridge isn't even there for the convenience of the thousands of Ingersoll residents who might want to cross Navy Street on any given day. It isn't the highline where you climb up for the views and a stroll.

No, it's a bridge designed so that speeding motorists won't have to stop, and so they won't be routinely blasting pedestrians out of their boots at a grade level crosswalk.

There's a lot wrong in that picture.
Dec. 15, 2011, 2:45 pm
Lee from Fort Greene says:
I'm new to the Fort Greene and looked forward to bike commuting to Midtown in the spring. I guess I'll need to find another route. Anyone know whether there is a safer route to the Manhattan Bridge from Fort Greene or should I just take the Brooklyn Bridge instead.

That said, there are many issues here (i.e. kids without adult supervision, poverty, lack of enforcement, irrational hatred of cyclists) that can't be dealt with intelligently in this forum, but need our attention.
Dec. 15, 2011, 3:21 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I am so tired of those who think that housing projects shouldn't exist anymore just because of who is there. Another thing to keep in mind that they are not limited to one race. Overall, don't blame the entire PJs, just blame the indviduals that are doing such things. It's unfair to blame a whole for just a few. Nobody would like it if someone believed that those that are living in luxury condos are bad and want them to be taken down just for that just because of a few. In other words, never do something to others that you would not want them to do for you.
Dec. 15, 2011, 3:45 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville says:
I have heard on good account that the whole thing is a set up from those undebunkables over at streetsblog, mainly to discredit law abiding and tax paying motorists. Just like how Israel is constantly the whipping boy of the Middle East when in reality it is Hamas who causes all the problems. I am pretty sure that I can identify who the brick thrower was, although I won't name any names, he is a regular contributer to this page. Reguaurdless, the types of people who would smear my good name all over New York City are the same type who would stoop so low as to throw bricks at cyclists. I am against cycling but that doesn't mean I would ever throw bricks at them, like those streetsbloggers cowardly impersunate me. I am sick and tired of being depicketed like a fat clueless loser everywhere, when all I do is post the truth.

-Tal Barzilai
Jan. 3, 2012, 8:27 pm
CBS from Brooklyn says:
TV Video
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:03 am
News 12 Brooklyn from Brooklyn says:
Biker hit by brick story
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:05 am
Altaholic from WindsorTerrace says:
Anything new on this thread? Have they done anything with the bridge? Have the hoodlums just moved to a new location?
July 2, 2012, 12:48 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!