June 20, 2012 / Brooklyn news / Bay Ridge / Brooklyn Is Angry

The changing face of Bay Ridge

Ridgites want city to close Prince Hotel

for The Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

Residents of 93rd Street are calling on the city to shutter a controversial hotel that they say is a hotbed of crime — but the building’s 83-year-old owner says nothing illegal is going on at his spotless neighborhood inn.

Ted Moustakas, who owns property on the same block as the Prince Hotel between Third and Fourth avenues, says that he’s seen young women going in and out of the building at all times and finds discarded hypodermic needles and crack pipes outside the building every weekend.

“It’s a shame, it really brings down the whole neighborho­od,” Moustakas said.

But he’s not alone in his critique of the hotel. An Lang, who runs a business nearby, said that cops and ambulances frequently pull up in front of the hotel in response to 911 calls inside.

“It’s the hookers, it’s the drugs, it’s the drug dealing,” Lang said.

Anne Gilhooly, who’s lived on the block for 42 years — long enough to remember the Prince once being a respectable boarding house known as The Spotford — said she’s been trying to get rid of the seedy inn for decades without any success.

“We picketed, we’ve been to God knows how many meetings, we went to see the owner, but it’s still there,” Gilhooly said.

Cops from the 68th Precinct confirmed that the hotel is a neighborhood “hot spot” that officers are dispatched to often. Complaints against the hotel range from narcotics to prostitution to homeless people congregating inside, cops say.

Yet Prince Hotel owner Moses Fried refuted the allegations, claiming that he runs a clean place.

“I’m 83 years old, I want to run a nice building, not one with prostituti­on,” Fried said, claiming that drugs are found everywhere in the city and his neighbors are trying to hang an area problem on his doorstep.

Fried’s company, The Prince Hotel Group, owns three other buildings: the Princess Hotel on Schermerhorn Street between Hoyt and Bond streets in Downtown, the Prince Lefferts Hotel on the corner of Lefferts Place and Classon Avenue in Clinton Hill, and the Little Princess Hotel on 12th Street between Fourth and Fifth avenues in Park Slope.

The city has shut down both the Princess Hotel and the Prince Lefferts for violating building codes and claims of prostitution. The city has summonsed the 93rd Street hotel for fire safety hazards and for working on the building without a permit, and will hold hearings on the violations next month.

The Prince Hotel’s website advertises “comfort and quality at an inexpensive price,” with lodgings that come with jacuzzis and room service — a stark contrast to city records, which list the Prince Hotel as a single-room occupancy building — meaning it offers four walls and a bathroom in the hall to long-term low-income residents.

Fried said the Prince was a hotel, even though city rules forbid rent-by-the-night facilities from moonlighting as single room occupancy dwellings.

Frank Deluca, who owns a limousine company around the corner on Third Avenue, has another name for the Prince Hotel — but it isn’t as flattering as a single-room occupancy dwelling or flop house.

“That place is a crack house,” said DeLuca, who wants the city to hang a vacancy sign on the Prince Hotel for good. “It should have been closed down years ago.”

Updated 3:40 pm, June 20, 2012

Don’t miss our updates:

Niko from Bay Ridge says:
About 4 or 5 years ago, I was looking for a hotel room in Bay Ridge other than the comfort inn in the 80s...

Saw that the rate was something like $70 for 3 nights....how could I pass up that deal?

Go into the lobby area and ask for a room. I think the attendant, realizing that we were not his usual clientele, recommended we look at the room first before paying (which was very nice of him).

I head immediately to the bathroom and see a baby roach - which I squash and say "well, what can you expect..."

Coming out of the bathroom, I realize that these things are all over the floor...to match the larger ones on the bed and bedframe - antennae wiggling with excitement..

We RAN out of there never to return again. The two nice condos built across the street are on top of what used to be another crack house...There is just something about that block..

I am shocked that this hotel is still in Bay Ridge - it seems to be the borough's only blemish.
June 20, 2012, 1:18 pm
Oscar from Brooklyn says:

Moses Fried is not dealing with reality!

The only way to get a room at the Prince Hotel is by the day. On the 14 day you are told to leave regardless of whether you are finished with your stay or not. I tried getting a room for a week like I have when on vacation but was denied. If the Prince Hotel is an actual hotel then it should accept credit cards. Plus allow guests to stay for more than a one-day for CASH ONLY!

Like "Niko" I encountered a cockroach in the bathroom and the smell of pot in the air all night long. The weekend nights were noisy. Personally I Ieft the television on all day and night to drown out the noise. Or at least I tried to because the hotel seemed to lose electricity several times a day that cause the TV and converter box to reset and turn off. During my stay there were children also staying in the hotel along with the cast of characters.

There was a hurricane called "Sandy" that left me as well as others with no place else to go. Not knowing when or where I would find a new place to call home left me with only the "Prince Hotel" to sleep. I was smart enough to buy a can of Lysol and bleach (for the bathroom) before registering.

I checked for bedbugs and sprayed everything in sight. I "bleached" the bathroom. Honestly to my surprise, the sheets were clean as were the towels. After a few days, I purchased a cheap broom and mop and cleaned the whole room. The room needed serious cleaning; the mop was black as was the water. Fortunately the 5 gallon detergent bucket made for a nice mop bucket as well as trash can.

Luckily I found a nice apartment that I could call home within a week. The staff was the only nice part about the difficult stay. They recognized the fact that I was "out of place" there and made my stay easier and comfortable. The staff gave me a set of linens whenever I asked.

The “Lounge” on the first floor co-exists with the hotel. The activities in the “lounge” seep into the hotel. The activities in the hotel need much to be desired. The male/female patrons are given to the imagination. The word “pros” does come to mind though.

Realistically in a storm, this place is a port. However all of the rooms need to be redone, seriously. The beds are all broken. The furnishings have to go to the dump because they appear to be taken out of the trash. There is no reason for the accommodations to be in such horrible shape.

Rates start at $75 plus taxes of $15 each day (which starts at Noon) and UP. The cheapest room totals $1,260 after 14 days (and if you could stay there for the month it’s $3,000) which when you think about it a studio in Bay Ridge starts at $750 a month.

Realistically the Prince Hotel is an “afternoon delight” BOOM BOOM in the room room kind of place as I can attest to through my first-hand experiences of the surrounding rooms during my stay.

Seriously if the owner Moses Fried wants to run a hotel, I recommend that he spend at least $1,000 a room (or $50,000) on the entire place to clean up the “PRINCE Hotel”. The place is a dump and he should be ashamed of himself for his claims. Hopefully, the city, state, or community will shut down this sham and replace it with a viable hotel for visitors in Bay Ridge.

LOHO, SOHO, NOHO and Tribeca have excellent examples of small hotels that cater to the out of towners slash tourists. Bay Ridge can take a long hard look at the way Manhattanites deal with deal with the likes of “Prince Hotels”.
Nov. 26, 2012, 11:15 pm
therisa boucherie from bayridge says:
They're taking jobs and give it to illegals,,whome don't have papers,nor do they pay taxes,,and bring scum to the neighbor hood ,,,,,some one should report prince hotel to channel 7 news,,
Sept. 6, 2013, 1:16 pm
james carpenter from sheepshead bay says:
The place sticks out luke a turd in a swimming pool.
Aug. 30, 2014, 11:35 am
james carpenter from sheepshead bay says:
The place sticks our like a turd In a swimming pool.
Aug. 30, 2014, 11:37 am
Phoenix McArthur from Bay ridge says:
All hotels will bring people that involve drugs and prostitution but me I've never had a problem at this hotel, I don't see what the big issue is. It's not the most beautiful hotel but deff not worth shutting down
Feb. 18, 2015, 9:52 am
susan from bayridge says:
Ive lived at the prince hotel for 8years i am very comfortable here ive never had a proplem in 8 years the place is always clean the staff is very respectful to its teants they always help me i am disabled. If i ever need help there right there .The halls are quiet and clean i have never seen any problem except for the club which is now closed. The neighborhood is in favor for gentrifacation which is happening they dont want low cost housing it doesnt look good for them but we were here first.WE THE TENANTS MATTER TOO.
May 18, 2015, 4:34 pm

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: