Bacon soup for the hipster soul: W’burg chef hand delivers broth in Mason jars

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

He’s Williamsburg’s jar head.

Shane McGarvey launched a small-batch soup delivery business out of his Williamsburg apartment — and he found one way to remain a step ahead of Mayor Bloomberg’s proposed Styrofoam ban: reusable Mason jars.

Rather than rely on the flimsy, lightweight packaging peddled by most delivery joints, the 39-year-old farmer from coastal Maine pours his homemade broths into quart-sized glass vessels and shleps across North Brooklyn once a week on foot making deliveries.

All that backbreaking labor is worth it the moment his small customer-base tastes soup that has never touched plastic.

Plus, it’s good for the environment.

“When I deliver the next week, I pick up the jars,” said McGarvey, who charges $12 per quart. “The down side is that the jars are heavy.”

The jars aren’t the only thing that’s special, according to McGarvey, who works as a website designer when he is not making or delivering soup, or tending to his New England farm.

“I get whatever is fresh at the store and make whatever comes to mind,” he said. “I make up the names first and people get into them and then I have to figure out how to make them into a soup.”

So far, his most popular soups are anything made with bacon.

“I buy it in huge slabs with the skin still on and fry them up in one-inch cubes,” he said.

The substantial weight of his product keeps his delivery radius small: he only goes from just south of the Williamsburg Bridge to N. 10th Street.

But he balances out the heavy load by taking long breaks between his arduous journeys — and that helps him build rapport with customers.

McGarvey currently has about 30 people on his weekly e-mail list, most of whom found him via the internet or word-of-mouth.

The soup maestro is toying with the idea of selling his creations, which include a whitefish and chorizo medley and a roast cauliflower and garlic mix, to shops around Brooklyn, and is working on a cookbook with his photographer girlfriend Mel Barlow.

Soup fan Teddy Knitter found out about McGarvey’s soups on Reddit.com and the two quickly struck up a friendship based on broth.

The two usually meet at the bar Luckydog on Bedford Avenue, where Knitter picks up his weekly supply of three jars of soup.

“It feels a little bit like a drug deal,” said Knitter. “I’m meeting a guy at a bar and he’s pulling out jars of soup in exchange for cash.”

To order Shane McGarvey’s soup, visit mcgarveybarlow.com.

Reach reporter Danielle Furfaro at dfurfaro@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2511. Follow her at twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Beardo?, check. Urban lumberjack shirt? check. Willamsburg? check. Bar on Beford Avenue? check. Bacon? check? Out of town transplant? check. quirky ,zany business? check. Nothing to see here folks. These people don't exist
April 5, 2013, 3:54 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Every chef I know works 80 hours a week. How does this guy find time to make and deliver bacon soup?

“My deliveries take forever because I’m always sitting around talking to people for an hour for each delivery,” he said."

don't come back, Shane.
April 5, 2013, 5:30 am
diehipster from Suffocating Shanes says:
Wow! I've never heard of bacon, North Brooklyn, and bearded transients mentioned all together; is this a new concept?

I actually find it funny how this paper almost daily posts articles to start anti-hipster commenting. I mean, is Shane the bacon soup guy really news worthy? Hell the F*ck no.

If he is, then The Brooklyn Paper might as well report that: Pedro stacks perfect pyramid of apples and pears at famed Ave U fruit market. Or: Grandma Olga feeds entire loaf of rye bread to group of pigeons at Brighton Beach park. But you'll never hear of stories as equally as boring - MUST CONCENTRATE ON THE BEARDOS!

But then again, maybe what this paper is doing is a good thing? Maybe this paper's mission is to show exactly how bland, boring and insignificant the whole hipster/yupster scene really is by reporting on the simplest things like making soup? I mean, just look at this "waste of an apartment" named Shane and his mother effin bacon soup in effin mason jars. Just another effeminate lumberjack on a play date with Brooklyn. Magically affording to live in the most expensive hood by wearing his hipster uniform and experimenting with bacon.

These people are the biggest joke and saddest thing that ever happened to Brooklyn. But let's not forget the most important thing: I'm hallucinating and it's not really happening.
April 5, 2013, 6:30 am
The creature from the Black Lagoon says:
Nice view!
April 5, 2013, 6:51 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Mr. Hipster, this paper publishes these articles specifically for YOU. You would not comment on the fruit stacker on Avenue U. You don't care about that. You cannot resist a man with a beard and a plaid shirt and the Brooklyn Paper knows it.
April 5, 2013, 7:27 am
Pat II from 80s Brooklyn says:
"...he found one way to remain a step ahead of Mayor Bloomberg’s proposed Styrofoam ban: reusable Mason jars."

What is Shane's work-around for a health department approved kitchen?
April 5, 2013, 8:05 am
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
Screw this bearded herb. Enough with the whole "were too cool to have a real job act". Hey dick face... You paying taxes on the income from your stupid soup business? Of course not. These useless clowns contribute nothing to society except bad fashion and a reason to make fun of non-unique "unique" people.

Hey Shane...
Your soup sucks...
Your beard sucks...
Your flannel shirt sucks...
Your farm sucks...
Your bike sucks...
Your grandmother sucks...
Your dog sucks...
You suck.

You need to go for a swim in the Gowanus Canal. You and ever other hipster douche out there. Maybe you can get them started, since all these cultish idiots do what everyone else does anyway.
April 5, 2013, 8:53 am
o3 from bk says:
look i get the anti-hipster schtick, but this guy's making a local product that local folks wanna buy which profits the local economy..and there aint one damn thing wrong w that.
April 5, 2013, 8:54 am
o3 from bk says:
April 5, 2013, 8:55 am
o3 from bk says:
April 5, 2013, 8:55 am
o3 from bk says:
sorry for the multiple posts
April 5, 2013, 8:57 am
Q from Bay Ridge says:
Bloomberg spoke out about prepared food donations to starving Sandy victims due to the city not being able to monitor nutritional value, where is his outrage over this freak charging $12 for soup that clearly is not monitored by the health department. Where is his food handlers permit? Where is his inspection grade? How about his business permits? Is he paying taxes on the $360/wk?

Is this news or just blatant advertising?
April 5, 2013, 9:22 am
Q from Bay Ridge says:
Must be nice to undercut the businesses in the neighborhood doing things right, by eliminating all those silly rules and regulations
April 5, 2013, 9:30 am
Isaac from The Bronx says:
Sweet baby Jesus, please, please, PLEASE, do not ever come to The Bronx. Oh, wait I get it! This is like The Onion!
April 5, 2013, 9:34 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
And it's from a local raised rooftop raised cage free pot bellied pig that got too randy!
April 5, 2013, 9:47 am
manposeur from brokeland says:
@Isaac from The Bronx

You can have the Bronx. No one wants to go there.
April 5, 2013, 9:48 am
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
I bet all his ingredients were purchased at a food co-op. with the secret ingredient being kale. Dooooouche.
April 5, 2013, 9:51 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
I think this pretty clearly illustrates how little we actually need all these health department regulations. They're rules to mainly benefit incumbent firms. That's why you can hear criticisms like Shane is "undercutting" businesses with his $12 soup.
April 5, 2013, 9:52 am
Isaac from The Bronx says:
@manposeur from brokeland - THANK GOD! I'll hold you to that.
April 5, 2013, 9:54 am
common sense from bay rige says:
Man, diehipster and his apostles are like moths to a flame to every bit of troll bait the Brooklyn Paper throws out there.

o3 said it best(3x), this guy is not some trustafarian riding his skateboard all day, he is working hard, trying to make a better life for himself. At least he's not abusing his customers like the Soup Nazi.
April 5, 2013, 10:39 am
Q from Bay Ridge says:
Mike, hate to break it to you, but the food service industry must maintain minimum health code (which happens to be strict), or face severe fines, penalties, and the potential of losing their business. All of that is a measure in place for public safety.

If he has all of the paperwork necessary to run a food service business in order, then good for him. Still not much of a story, but at least he's on the up and up. Otherwise, the BP is advertising a guy who likely evades taxes, operates without a permit or proper licensing, and is not held to any kind of health standard. Hopefully these things about his glorified soup stand are remedied before he gets someone sick, or even worse, kills someone.
April 5, 2013, 10:52 am
Pat I, from 70's Brooklyn says:
12 bucks for a jar of soup? C'mon. It's mostly water, folks. Who's this guy kidding?

True, Health inspectors are a bit much sometimes. But speaking from experience, if they didn't exist, you couldn't imagine the condition of most kitchens.

And the rules suck - until you're the one who gets food poisoning.
April 5, 2013, 11:39 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Q, you're not breaking it to me. I think those rules should be changed. Which is why I said we don't need so many of them. I know you currently face fines and penalties. I think you shouldn't.

I cook for people (including myself) every day and don't make people sick or kill people. Your scare tactics aren't helpful. And if I baked up 400 chocolate chip cookies and handed them out at East River Park, that'd be ok. But if I sold them for a nickel, suddenly that poses the risk of death. I don't buy that.

(Speaking of things I don't buy: $12 soup. But I guess some people do.)
April 5, 2013, 11:43 am
JAZ from Hunting Redbeards says:
This tool is a walking checklist of everything that has ruined North Brooklyn.

Good thing there's no such things as hipsters, or else he might be in danger of being called one.
April 5, 2013, 12:20 pm
manhatposeur from brokeland says:
No hate. But how does he pay rent, mortgagae
April 5, 2013, 12:46 pm
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
I wish this was Facebook and I could like everything Q says. He is the realist.
April 5, 2013, 12:56 pm
smokehouse from south williamsburg says:
Jaz, LOL, if you think one guy delivering soup in re-usable glass jars is a walking checklist of everything that has ruined North Brooklyn, I suggest you open your eyeballs and actually look around up there. Corporate —— has driven tons of people and local businesses out of North burg further south and to other neighborhoods, myself included. I know several people doing local honeys, pickles, charcuterie etc. that started in their own kitchens and have grown to selling products to Bedford cheese and the like and now making a decent living doing what they love. Anyway seriously who cares, you guys make me tired.
April 5, 2013, 1:40 pm
"Interloper" from Kent Ave says:
"ERMAHGERD!!!! BACON SOUP HAS RUINED BROOKLYN!!!"

Normally this is where I go about the process of dissecting the stupid arguments of retards like SwampYankee, dieHipster, Johnny Hammersticks and JAZ. Today I'm going to take a break from that and enjoy how butthurt all you losers are over something as arbitrary as a guy making bacon soup. Hilarious and pathetic same as always.

Have a great weekend all!
April 5, 2013, 1:47 pm
diehipster from Suffocating Shane says:
If you back out of this link and go back to today's main page, notice the normal Brooklyn woman staring at Shane the bacon beardo. She's basically saying "YOU ARE SO OUT OF PLACE B*TCH - GO BACK TO MAINE BEARDO"

LOL
April 5, 2013, 4:13 pm
diehipster dumba** from williamsburg says:
"normal Brooklyn woman."
April 5, 2013, 4:45 pm
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
That isn't bacon.
April 5, 2013, 4:55 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
I did some checking and Shane does not seem to be paying any taxes on his business venture. This is called fraud. You can report tax fraud by calling here 718-610-4426 or registering an on-line complaint here :https://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/contact/contact_app_emailtaxcop.shtml
April 5, 2013, 6:59 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
I opened a complaint and I suggest anyone that pays taxes do the same. Seems this guy is running a cash business and not reporting income. Still working on getting the health department there. You can call 311 and they will forward concern to the Dept of Health. It will take a bit, but they will get to him. The tax folks will get there sooner if we get a few more complaints.
April 5, 2013, 7:01 pm
friday says:
How much hair is in that soup? (no gloves, hairnet, nuttin).
Does he wash - I mean wash his hands after he goes to the bathroom? Are there animals in this apartment?
Arggh! I wanna puke. bacon soup. wtf?
April 5, 2013, 7:15 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Mike, the rules force restaurants to maintain cleanliness. Cleanliness costs money - labor, supplies, etc.

My family was in the business and yes - I worked the line in my teens. My dad used every spare minute to clean.

My only beef with the rules, is that many times they are subjective. Also, I feel any health inspector should work the line on a Friday night to understand the insanity of going into a reach-in every two minutes because magically, food goes bad if it hits one degree above temperature.

Still - it's an illegal business..a cash business. The guy's a tool for even going public. But that's "look at Me" types for ya.
April 5, 2013, 7:49 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:

This will go over well during a typical Brooklyn heat wave. I hope he sterilizes the jar and uses fresh lids every time he re-fills them.

God what a f**ckin' imbecile.
April 5, 2013, 7:56 pm
JWatson from Portland says:
He's created a small business for himself, what kind of person could hate on that? Also, he's from Maine, he was born w/ a beard and a plaid shirt, or at the very least been rocking that good ol' Maine gear long before Brooklyn hipsters thought they would call it their own. What's wrong with hipsters anyhow? I'd rather be a hipster then a hater any day! You people suck! What a bunch of whiney ——es!!!
April 5, 2013, 10:28 pm
Alex from London, England says:
Reading the commentary here sure is an enlightening experience. It clearly illustrates why American society and culture is unraveling. For a country built on individualism and the liberty...nay, the RIGHT to free enterprise, it is shocking to see so much hatred being spewed toward a hard working guy who is simply trying to produce a high quality product, with personalized service. Especially in an era when all we seem to do is complain about the evils of globalization and the impersonal nature of business in the 21st century. What happened to the idea of supporting local commerce and preserving the economic integrity of your neighborhood?

To make hasty assumptions or draw conclusions about Shane's character, background, adherence to hygienic standards or tax laws from a brief article is not only unfair and beyond the point, it really only shows the myopic, self-centered, overly-opinionated ignorance of those making such comments.

To further attack a guy or label him for his choice of clothing, facial hair, place of origin or any of the other superficial attacks that have been made here, is reductive and base at best... and I am being polite when I say that. Am I supposed to take seriously the opinion of a guy who hides behind the moniker Johnny Hammersticks, and whose major contribution to the discussion involves name calling and insulting Shane's grandmother and his dog? Really? Tell us Mr Hammersticks, what is your marvelous contribution to the world? What is it that qualifies you to judge Shane in this way?

Listen, if you'd prefer to eat watered down Campbell's or order your soup from Amazon, go right ahead, but perhaps you might consider that it is people like you who are not only contributing the escalating levels of hatred, jealously, xenophobia, superiority, snobbery and ethnocentrism that is undermining not only the US culture, but the economy as well.

Lastly, I will just remind you that just because the Constitution gives you the right to free speech, it doesn't mean that you HAVE to exercise it. And, maybe before you sit at your computer and anonymously vomit hatred at the world, you might consider how you can use this and your other constitutionally bestowed rights to brighten the lives of others rather than tear them down. But, if it makes you feel better about yourself to to label criticise a guy who wants to pour his heart and soul into making nice soups that people enjoy eating, providing good service to his community, a guy who is doing his part to protect the environment, a guy who is simply trying to make a living, and a guy who has done absolutely nothing to offend you, I guess that is your right.
April 6, 2013, 6:03 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Watson and Alex-

Who in the hell said the guy can't start his own business? Anyone can if they have the drive and means to do so. This guy is not being lambasted for starting a business. He's breaking the law - those set down by the IRS and the Health Department.

Does he have a license? Are those jars recycled? If so are they sterilized? did he boil them after filling so the lids seal?Does he use new lids every time he recycles the jars? How long will he wait chatting in the hot sun while his friend?

Same goes for flea markets. I really don't mind people selling crafts, used stuff, clothes, etc. Most of the time they're cleaning out their garage. But I draw the line at some tool selling lobster rolls (which contain Mayo) in the hot sun without refrigeration, permits or a knowledge of food safety.

And that's my problem with hipsters. They are so entrenched in their "free" lifestyle, that they feel that they can circumvent the laws and standards that govern business owners. Instead of doing the heavy lifting required to start a legitimate business
they circumvent the necessary steps hoping that their zany, whimsical sleight of hand will cause people to forget these facts.

This guy should have given the soup away for free, tweaking recipes, gather feedback, get licensed, get a tax number and start out small. Then gradually expand.

Look...I've gotten food poisoning. It's not pretty. I'm not saying a sterile, inspected kitchen is 100% effective but it's far, far better than not having standards.

There was an incident out here where about 50 people got ill at a BBQ. That's enough to overwhelm any ER.
April 6, 2013, 8:10 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Alex proves there are TWO Queens of England!
April 6, 2013, 8:11 am
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
Hey Alex from London, England. I'm going to exercise my right to free speech. Go f*ck yourself. Keep your opinions to your side of the Atlantic, a$$hole.
April 6, 2013, 8:11 am
Jen from Brooklyn says:
What a bunch of losers you (mostly) are. Go and do something worthwhile yourselves instead of sitting on your computer anonymously criticising people out of jealousy or bitterness. Cowardly at best and just plain pathetic at worst.

As for your ridiculous comments about food poisoning - no one is forcing you to buy soup from someone if you don't trust their hygiene standards so if other people choose to that is their right. Or are you conveniently forgetting the right to make your own decisions? I for one fully support people in their own enterprises as too many bureaucratic rules will gradually erode the entrepreurial spirit and your oh-so-precious 'American Dream' will be nothing but a distant memory. Meanwhile the huge corporations take over completely, with their brainwashed automaton employees (you) towing the party line unthinkingly. Pharmaceutical companies who are pushing governments to rule cancer-curing treatments involving vitamin c as illegal because they don't make vast profits from them, and oil companies pushing governments into decisions that kill thousands of innocents perpetuate. What a lot we have to look forward to.
April 6, 2013, 9:02 am
Alex from London, England says:
Pat I., I appreciate your point of view. I really do. You partly distinguish yourself from some of the others here who seem unable to voice a logical and valid point of view without reducing yourself to name calling and hurling insults, so I am happy to address my comments to you.

Perhaps you are privy to Shane's tax records and business licensing status - I admittedly am not. It seems that his is a fledgling business. Perhaps, Swamp Yankee, he hasn't been in business long enough to file a tax return yet? Do we know that? The article certainly doesn't make this clear. And, if we are casting aspersions, am I speaking to the only Americans who are 100% honest about their taxes? He who lives in glass houses....

Perhaps you have taken the time to discuss with Shane the way in which he makes his soup, the way he handles the jars' sterilization process, his lid management system, and the techniques he uses for refrigerating his soups before and while delivering them, whereas I have not. Maybe it is possible that Shane only makes one delivery at a time before returning home to restock?? Maybe? Maybe not? Do we know the answer to this one way or another? While you assume he leaves his soups exposed to the sun for several hours at a time allowing them to spoil, I assume that since Shane is only delivering very small quantities of soup within a very small radius, and presumably he can't carry a ton of jars at a time, that maybe - just maybe - he is leaving them refrigerated and just taking what he can deliver in a reasonable amount of time before they have a chance to spoil.

All I am saying is, it's not always wise to be so quick to make judgements or cast aspersions based upon the flimsiest of assumptions. Fair enough? Beyond that, the greater point here is the general venomous tone with which people are lashing out. At Shane. At me. I find that far more offensive than anything.

As for Mr Hammersticks, once again he has proven himself ineligible to participate in an adult conversation. Similarly with Rufus. I hate to even acknowledge either of your comments, but they are just so absurd, and they do provide good comedy for those of us who can string together more than one sentence or present a point of view without using vulgarity, insults, or misinformed homophobic judgements about my sexuality.

Rufus, I am a bit disappointed that the best response you can come up with to a concise, well-articulated opinion is to call me a "queen". I assume that is some attempt at judging my sexual orientation? Disagree with me if you choose, but is your best counterargument to judge and insult my sexual orientation? How do you even know what gender I am, let alone my sexual orientation? Are you trying to equate intelligent commentary to sexual orientation and say that someone who wants to defend a guy who has done nothing to you is automatically homosexual? Hmmmm. I did't realize I would have to combat that degree of ignorance or add homophobia to the list of characteristics that seem to typify American small-mindedness.

And, my dear Mr Hammersticks....thank you for not letting me down in the xenophobia department (you may want to look that word up before you further play into the stereotype). Rufus is all too quick to assume, judge, and insult my gender/sexual orientation, but you are similarly quick to assume my nationality.

While I am impressed that you at least know the name of the body of water that separates us, and I will happily keep my opinions on this side of the Atlantic, that doesn't mean I can't express them here. You are likely aware that the internet is a global phenomenon, and if you put your ignorance on display for the whole world to read, you must be willing to accept divergent points of view from all corners of the world. I may not agree with Pat I., but at least Pat is able to engage in a reasonable discussion without reducing things to the level of a 3rd grader. I am just as entitled to express my point of view as you are, not just as an interested party, but as someone who lived in the US for 30 years before realizing that it is not the only place of any worth in the world. I decided to broaden my horizons by moving away from the US in 2011, spending a year in Central America before coming to the the UK in July 2012. Once again, it is very dangerous to assume so quickly.

As for your attack on Jen, I see we must now add misogynist to the list of characteristics. That is just evil. You should be ashamed of yourself. Your parents must be so proud. Not only do you have nothing to contribute and serve only to bring down the overall tone of this conversation, but you are willfully inflicting hate and harm on someone for expressing an opinion. It is you, my friend, who give Americans - and men - a bad name. That is just disgraceful. What would you do if someone said that to your mother? Your grandmother? To your sisters? To your wife/girlfriend? Shame on you!

And finally, while I am eternally grateful for your eloquent and generous invitation to go f*** myself, I will politely decline.
April 6, 2013, 10:14 am
Q from Bay Ridge says:
Hey Alex, you Piers Morgan loving, tea drinking, horrible oral hygeine having, loser. Follow Freddie Mercury's lead and die of AIDS
April 6, 2013, 10:29 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
God save the Queen!
April 6, 2013, 10:33 am
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
Hey Alex. I don't dislike you or your country or other countries for that matter. In fact, i think you guys did a great job with the Olympics. And London has a phenomenal subway system.

I do however find it ironic that you of all people want to come in here and talk about free speech considering where you are from. I believe it's your "kingdom" that this great nation broke away from in order to have the rights and privelages that we do. It was the tyrany of a Great Britain that was everything that was wrong with the world at one point. Ask the Native Americans how they're feeling today. You want to talk about xenophobia. It was your country that pretty much killed off a whole race of people out of fear and them being different.

So don't tell me I can't tell hipsters that they're douchebags, because they are. And don't tell me I can't tell you that I hope you get herpes the next time your father sodomizes you. Because I do. Because the pattern of hatred in this world stems all the way back to your great nation.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!
April 6, 2013, 10:35 am
ty from pps says:
Nice guys... let's summarize.

* Hipsters are evil.
* Folks from Maine are evil.
* Making and selling soup is evil.
* The customers buying soup are evil.
* Small business and entrepreneurship is only good if it's "real Brooklynites" doing it.
* Swampy, Pat, Jaz, Hammesticks, etc. are legal and health experts and ABSOLUTELY know that this man is not complying with regulations... apparently based on secret information only ehy are privvy to.
* "Investigating" this small business is an example of Brooklyn Righteousness.
* I'm sure Swampy will also "investigate" all of the churro carts, maid services, therapists with private clients, dollar vans, vacation rooms for rent on craigslist, etc. etc. etc Wouldn't want to seem less righteous and pure about your intentions, right?
* Oh... and the beautiful wholehearted support of the Department of Health's regulation, the tax laws and a whole host of other city and state rules and regulations is amazing. Hmm... No, I'm sure they are never areas of criticism.

It's like a ridiculous circus of willful ignorance, hypocrisy, weird xenophobia and a dollop of stupid.
April 6, 2013, 11:17 am
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
No one ever said people from Maine are evil. I work with a guy who hails from Maine. He's a good dude. I am however, an expert in tax law and business law, and am fairly well versed in health code, although its not my forte.

Frankly I'm not even even concerned about the hygiene aspect. Although hipsters as a whole tend to be filthy people, I'm sure he does his best to keep his products fresh and uncontaminated. If he was getting people sick, then he wouldn't have a loyal clientele of dildos who are willing to shell out $12 for soup.

My issue is that instead of registering his business and paying taxes like most other ethical income earning human beings, he's under-cutting the brick and mortar businesses that not only have to pay their taxes, but pay rent. And the rent part isn't so much an issue. If you want to work from home and are successful at it, more power to you. But do it right. I hope after all this free exposure he got by going into a newspaper, someone looks into his scamming and makes him do it legit. And if he's not gonna do it legit, fine the sh!t out of him.

I also have a problem with his stupid beard and flannel shirt.
April 6, 2013, 12:51 pm
ty from pps says:
Hammersticks --

Come on. Really?

* You know for a fact that he is not properly registered as a sole proprietorship or otherwise?
* You know for a fact that he is not paying taxes? Hmm... interesting.
* You think undercutting brick-and-mortar stores is a good argument? He's a local proprietor, keeping money in the local economy. Or, do you prefer the brick-and-mortar stores like Amazon, Fresh Direct, etc. etc. etc. etc.
* So, a company selling a product to consumers MUST have a brick and mortar approach to business or it's evil undercutting, eh?
* You're right... I hope all of the nannies, house cleaners, and other private service businesses... err... scammers get the sh!t fined out of them.

All in all, Mr. Hammersticks, you don't sound like much of an expert at all. You sound like a whiny douche that doesn't like "others"
April 6, 2013, 1:11 pm
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
Hey Ty, learn how to read you f*cking a$$clown. I said "if you want to work from home and you are successful at it, more power to you. As long as you do it right".

Maybe if you weren't so concerned about finding dudes to go blow in the brambles of Prospect Park, you'd have correctly real my point, quifmaster.

Don't question my knowledge. You can't hold a candle to what I know. Like that I know you have nuts bouncing off your chin right now, Broseph.
April 6, 2013, 2:34 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Errrrrr Ty......Where did I say the guy was evil? I'm just pointing out that he is a walking, talking stereotype. He is a hipster and hipsters have ruined Brooklyn. As for his tax status that's pretty easy to check if you know where to look. But one can't be sure so it might be best if the proper authorities confirm that he is not paying taxes. If he is on the up & up, no problem. If he is running a business and not paying taxes he is picking my pocket and yours. I'm not okay with that. As to the people selling churros I don't see them crowing about it in the Brooklyn Paper. The guy is screaming LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE! I MAKE SOUP!! I'm just suggesting that the RIGHT people LOOK AT HIM.
April 6, 2013, 5:54 pm
Pat I. from Brooklyn says:
Alex-

Fair enough. You made a valid point. But I may have more experience in the food business than you do. And a guy making soup in a 5 quart Le Crueset pot cannot afford, at this point in time to go through the licensing, taxes, inspection, etc. Besides - I don't now what NYC's rules are but many cities do not allow you to run a commercial food business out of an apartment. So my hunch - based on experience - is that this guy is running a business on the sly.

And again - there's the health issue. Read:

And...keep in mind that it's a slow news day. sh*t like this goes on all the time.
April 6, 2013, 6:07 pm
Pat I. from Brooklyn says:
Swampy - as a public servant, you'll love this:

April 6, 2013, 6:08 pm
Pat I. from Brooklyn says:
Alex-

One more thing. Jen and others monitor their comments and delete the ones they don't like not unlike a petulant child.

Brooklyn Paper and Die Hipster's old site didn't block anyone or delete comments.

There are two things that native New Yorkers hold dear (probably no different than anyone else in the world): Egg creams and their old neighborhoods. Brooklynites are no different than, say, the those who lived in the East End of London. Working class but fiercely proud of where they grew up.

I was born and raised in South Brooklyn (Carroll Gardens) but lived for two years in Bensonhurst.
Bensonhurst went from an Italian neighborhood to Asian and eastern European. I don't have a problem with it. They have an immigrant work ethic and in a way, the Italian faction moved up the ladder and handed the baton over to these new groups. I don't have a problem with this.

I do have a serious problem with hipsters. They produce nothing of value (and please don't mention art. People like art, but people don't need art). When my toilet breaks and six inches of impacted sh*t are running down my newly carpeted stairs, a plumber means more to me than some bimbo performance artist giving birth in an art gallery.

They are elitist, move into established neighborhoods and immediately start whining about traditions and go about changing things THEY don't like. That's why they're so despised. Everything is ART...all is one big adventure. For years we were told to steer clear of the Gowanus canal. These turds treat it like their own personal water park - that just happens to be a superfund site - probably the most toxic body of water in the USA.

I'm a big fan of BBC television (except the news) especially series set in the 1800's and WW1 and WW2. There's little doubt in my mind that the Brits invented snobbery and raised it to an art form.

But...the rich acted ..well - rich. Sometimes the poor would mock them in comedies and such. The best of the upper class still treated working class folk with a modicum of respect. And the working class would treat the upper class with the same respect.

The problem here Alex is that the Calebs and Mollys have no respect and in the most clueless way at that. They take on the trappings of the working class -drinking PBR, prancing around like lumberjacks, 1920's newsboys and depression era, Dorothea Lange dustbowl rejects....while waking up at noon, sipping 8 dollar lattes, consuming 10 dollar chocolate bars and 14 dollar mac-n-cheese (working class food).

This is not mockery? Dressing like a f**cking laborer while eating a nine dollar hipster version of an egg McMuffin?
April 6, 2013, 6:41 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Hammersticks-

"loyal clientele of dildos "

There goes another keyboard.
April 6, 2013, 6:47 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Well, Alex..since I'm on a roll:

Hipsters are hated mostly because they are walking breathing billboards of hypocrisy:

They hate big business, but the trappings that define them - I-phones, Macs and their monthly stipend from the 'rents - have big business all over them. How ironic that the products that define them most are made by APPLE - the biggest company on the planet.

They care sooooo much about the environment - yet go look up how much cities had to spend to clean up their mess and fix the damage from the OWS protests...and the G8 demonstrations.

Hipsters claim love ethnic people, diversity, different cultures (cue "Kumbaya") yet immediately start to price natives out of their neighborhoods - to the point that there are only four non-whites: Everyone's "black friend" and asian girlfriend, indian girlfriend and the indian guy - because he's good with computers.

Hipsters despise authority - documenting every perceived injustice like the I-phone mannequins they are...until their sh*t gets stolen. Then they scream and can't understand why cops don't stop helping the lady who just got nailed by a bike and work on recovering their stolen I-crap.

Hipsters love to quote articles on unemployed college graduates (unemployed, living in a loft, shopping at Whole Foods and surrounded by thousands in media equipment). Yet throw a hissy fit when you read that those who graduated with degrees in the hard sciences or learned a trade are gainfully employed (Ex: IT people and engineers).

Hipsters will blather on about the rudeness of locals, yet walk onto subways with bikes and backpacks and don't even have the courtesy to not perform with your jug band on the train when tired people just want a few minutes of peace and quiet on the way home a long day of work.

I could go on.

As some on this board will tell you, I think my ten year old is the best kid in the world. I took him to Brooklyn on President's day. We were sitting in a crowded F train surrounded by hipster I-pod monkeys. A (very) pregnant woman gets on the train. There she stood for a few minutes, with her bags. No one budged.

My son - ten years old - looked up at her and said, Please ma'am take my seat". I got up with him to give her some room.
April 6, 2013, 7:20 pm
Pat I. from Brooklyn says:
.....and one more: Hipsters claim to be so open minded, tolerant and accepting of all opinions, beliefs and viewpoints...as long as your opinions and viewpoints, beliefs and opinions are the same as theirs.
April 6, 2013, 7:27 pm
crispin from Williamsburg says:
Shane makes great soup.
April 6, 2013, 9:34 pm
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Get off the computer and get a job, Pat I. from the Jersey suburbs.
April 7, 2013, 3:31 am
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn. says:
Hey Pat... That was amazing. Bravo.
April 7, 2013, 6:26 am
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
thanks Pat, I saw that . I think that shows the system is working. There restaurant must be amongst the biggest in the world. I'm surprised at how little illness is spreed through food handling . I think that's because the system works. I understand that happened at a nice place. The industry attracts some colorful characters and behavior that causes Hep A is not uncommon. Glad to see the system working
April 7, 2013, 6:39 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Mike-

No I'm not speaking for you. I'm speaking about non-hipsters.

And the reason why you like organic food is because of the label. Not one person can tell the difference without the label. Just ask Penn & Teller.

And If you grew up in south Brooklyn and are a hipster, I'd check for a pod under your bed.
April 7, 2013, 8:50 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
T-bone...

It's the weekend. I put my 60 hours in. The only person working on Saturday night is your girlfriend. And I have a picture of her in my wallet.

Right next to a condom.
April 7, 2013, 8:52 am
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Oooh, tough words from an Internet never-has-been. Does 60 hours making comments on line and stroking your cyber play buddies count as work? Do you report that to the state of NJ when you fill out your weekly unemployment request, or do you take the entire $415?
April 7, 2013, 9:03 am
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Don't sweat Pat I., Michael. He some unemployed bum in South Jersey that thinks he's a spokesperson on Brooklyn cause his mom dumped him out here. He comes on here to reminisce with his Internet buddies about the Glory Days. It's pretty sad, when you think about it. He also likes to make up stories about how he and his son run into hipsters and tell them off like a couple of tough guys. Really weird, when you think about it. The BK paper puts these stories in to troll for Pat and his ilk. Sad, even for a NewsCorp paper.
April 7, 2013, 9:33 am
Pat I. from 70's brooklyn. says:
Yeah. What ev, T.
Keep tryin'. You'll never be the man your mother is.
April 7, 2013, 11:40 am
Pat I. from 70's brooklyn. says:
I was unemployed for three months. I've been working full time at my old salary since January. My unemployment was at the max - 611 bucks.

You're turn, ass munch.
April 7, 2013, 11:41 am
Jen from Brooklyn says:
I'm utterly astounded by the level to which people on this message board have stooped in the above chain; wishing horrendous diseases on people who have expressed their views on a public forum (isn't that what they're for?!), and telling me to 'get raped'. Unbelievable vitriol.

FYI - I have not deleted any comments from here as I have been accused of doing 'not unlike a petulant child'.
April 7, 2013, 2:43 pm
Creature from the Black Lagoon says:
This reminds me of another annoying human this paper once gave press to--the guy who delivered lobster rolls to the hungry thick-framed glasses types. Turned out to be a gimmick to get himself a show on some soul-draining food network revered by the monied "artists" who appreciate these things. Turns out--it worked!
April 7, 2013, 8:25 pm
Moishe from Boro Park says:
Anyone who can convince some schmuck to spend $12 on a glass of water with bacon bits is a genius.
April 7, 2013, 10:45 pm
"Interloper" from Kent Ave says:
Just when I thought some of you people couldn't be more pathetic.

SwampYankee...you can't be serious. You actually went out of your way to try and narc out this guy who is in your opinion "illegally selling soup". You have wayyy too much time on your hands. What a joke of a person you are.
April 8, 2013, 12:13 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Interloper,
So you think it's OK to cheat on taxes? Is this OK for everyone, or just you and your hipster brethren? Is it OK for Wall Street Executives? Perhaps you are just stupid and didn't read what I wrote above. I probably can't re-post it in a large enough font for you to understand so will just have to hope cut & paste repeat will work. I doubt it, but here is what I wrote above .......AGAIN........"As for his tax status that's pretty easy to check if you know where to look. But one can't be sure so it might be best if the proper authorities confirm that he is not paying taxes. If he is on the up & up, no problem. If he is running a business and not paying taxes he is picking my pocket and yours. I'm not okay with that. "

I'm not OK with him cheating on his taxes. IT's easy to check, and it seems there is a problem. The proper authorities should look into it. IF you don't like that ,too bad.
April 8, 2013, 1:09 pm
"Interloper" from Kent Ave says:
I don't think its ok for people to cheat on taxes unless its somebody like this guy. The amusement I get from your frustration is worth whatever cost being put on me as a taxpayer. The fact that you took time out of your day to narc him out is hilariously amazing to me.

I'm guessing that you were one of those hall monitors back in middle school that nobody ever listened to and probably got shoved into a locker or two in your time. Haha what a complete joke.
April 8, 2013, 2:13 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Ahh, that shrill screaming was the nativist nancies with what looks like a whole dump truck full of sand in their vaginas. A) The guy is from Maine, diehipster, which by itself makes him twice the man you are. B) He's a farmer, which by itself makes him three times the man you are. C) He gets off his ass every day and builds his small little business by providing value to his clientele, so that by itself makes him five times the man you are.

You're not qualified to lick his boots, much less judge him or invalidate his right to live in the same county as you. Why don't you and the rest of your pansy pals go off and live in Pansyland where you can impress each other with your limp-wristed power slaps and incessant kvetching about people who do things, build things, and try to make the world a better place for their fellow human beings.
April 8, 2013, 4:19 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Pat I, OK, thank you for the well-articulated hatred of hipsters. It is a welcome departure from the tedious and small schtick that comes out of Queen Diehipster.

But your distaste for their pretense seems rather arbitrary and inconsistent. Do you come to this site to rail against the silly extravagance of celebrities? Do you reserve any of your presumed blue-collar dudgeon for the Wall Street bankers who launder billions for Mexican drug cartels (see HSBC, Dec 2012), get caught, and still walk because they're 'too big to fail?'

OK, they buy expensive cups of coffee. So what? They must have the money to pay for it, so where's the harm? The people selling them the coffee made bank, and the customers were happy. And you can still get your $1 cup of joe at the deli.

They dress according to certain aesthetics. So what? Should the rest of us turn up day after day to pan Italians for running around in their wife beaters, tawdry gold chains, and fake tans? You know, the Jersey Shore thing? For my money, that crowd is three times as annoying as hipsters and produce far less value for those around them.

You think hipsters are racist? Ha! Most of the racism coming out here comes from the East Coast Italians spewing their vitriol.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror and take a long, hard look at yourselves, you and diehipster and SwampYankee, and ask if being such enormous a**holes to so many, in front of so many, for such an endless period of time, is indeed the very best thing you could be contributing to the world.
April 8, 2013, 4:32 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Scott:

And now for the bonus question:

HOW MANY WORKING CLASS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PRICED OUT OF BEVERLY HILLS IN THE PAST 10 YEARS? Upper West Side? Scarsdale?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
April 8, 2013, 5:42 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
OH Scott....him being a former farmer makes him a man? Like Caleb the rooftop gardener?
April 8, 2013, 5:43 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Jen - don't you have something to do..like curate a breastmilk cheese exhibit?
April 8, 2013, 5:45 pm
someguy from sunnyside says:
I don't read the Bkln Paper, but is it possible that this story is a hoax? Just something to upset people like diehipster? Sort of like his fishing for hipsters features when he had his site?

I love diehipster, by the way. And screw all hipsters
April 8, 2013, 8:16 pm
Barry McCokiner from Brooklyn says:
What a waste of a liberal arts education for this writer. This is an ad, not a story. Bet he doesn't pay taxes. Someone could die from this product.
April 9, 2013, 1:29 pm
Sam Wolf from Flatbush says:
What a bunch of sour a$$wipes you guys are. You're so full of your hipster hatred you don't even realize that they're all copying him not him them.

Many people start a business 'illegally' and then grow big enough they go through the motions and get licensed, so f&^$n lay off. Never heard of a waiter not reporting tips, or EVERY SINGLE ——ING RESTAURANT PAYING THEIR DIASHWASHERS OFF THE BOOKS. TURDS.

Even if he put 2" of his beard shavings in his food it's guaranteed cleaner 80% of the C rated eateries around flatbush.

This sounds like a Sean Hannity line, he doesn't pay taxes, he doesn't pay taxes, he doesn't pay taxes f*&^ off nobody pays taxes right, certainly not the rich, and god bless him for trying to support himself instead of getting on medicaid and —— then you'd have more —— to troll.
April 10, 2013, 9:22 am
Mich says:
Honestly, people should look a little deeper befor they take a spoonful. This guy is a deadbeat Dad who doesn't pay child support and rarely sees or communicates with his 2 kids. Shane is way to old to have been posing as a hipster. He lives on people's coaches and/or with any single female that will take him in. He hasn't held an honest job since 1999. As far as I know he screwed up this business just as much as he's screwed up everything else in his adult life.

If his soup is being sold it should be boycotted. He should get a paying job with benefits and help support his two young children instead of continuing to act like a child and thinking that the world owes him something. (And shave that god awful beard!!
July 5, 2015, 1:51 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!