Mermaid Parade Founder Offering Great Rewards for Donations to Kickstarter Campaign

Gifts from the sea — friends of freak show offer fabulous prizes to Kickstarter contributors

Don’t miss our updates:

Friends are throwing a lifeline to this floundering mermaid.

Sideshows by the Seashore founder Dick Zigun needs to raise $100,000 before his annual Mermaid Parade can ride down Surf Avenue for the 31st time on June 22 — and so his freaky friends are offering sweet swag to those who contribute to his upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

Hurricane Sandy swamped Zigun’s headquarters at the corner of Surf Avenue and W. 12th, forcing him to sink thousands into rebuilding the famous freak house. That left him with precious little to sponsor the yearly cavalcade of costumed Coney carousers.

So Zigun — who raised $4,000 for his reconstruction work through the crowdfunding site LuckyAnt.com earlier this year — is turning to the Internet for assistance. The Yale-man-turned-carnival-barker said Kickstarter and Coney Island oddballs are a match made in weirdo heaven.

“That’s the way the people of Brooklyn, the whackos of New York City, people who care about alternative culture across America, that is how they contribute to things,” Zigun said.

The online fund-raising campaign launches May 6 — and high-profile friends of the Parade are offering one-of-a-kind prizes to contributors.

The rewards include prints by Harvey Stein, award-winning photographer and creator of the photo book “Coney Island: 40 Years,” and special edition posters from graphic artists Frank Kozik — known for designing album covers for Nirvana, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the Melvins — and Martin Mazorra. Some donors will even get to step into the Great Fredini’s Coney Island Scan-a-Rama — a three-dimensional scanner-printer that measures a person’s dimensions and creates a statuette in their image.

Zigun will also give out temporary tattoos, t-shirts, posters, “mermaid” swimming lessons, the chance to join parade floats, and VIP seating at the event.

Fans of the eccentric pageant will be able to give anywhere from $10 to the full $100,000, though the parade’s planning team have yet to decide which donation levels will get which prizes.

It’s an ambitious plan, but Zigun and his team are sure they will succeed.

“If everyone who went to the parade last year donated a dollar, we’d be fine,” said parade development director Tim Pendrell. “Kickstarter is a very grassroots way of fund-raising, and that’s the kind of parade we have.”

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.
Updated 10:10 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

ty from pps says:
These photos make the parade look much less skeezy than it is in real life... Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun. Parents just may not want to bring their kids if they haven't covered certain topic of conversation yet.
May 3, 2013, 9:52 am
Jimmy from PH says:
Diehipster - Have you thought about seeking professional help? A psychologically healthy person is not disturbed by other people to the extent that you seem to be.
May 3, 2013, 11:52 am
Joey from Red Hook says:
Can I be recognized for my musical Talents now?
May 3, 2013, 12:13 pm
nancy from coney says:
hey johnnny stay in your part of bklyn if you are actually from here you haven't been 2 coney in awhile and haven't seen what the place has been made in2 or if you have you don't know what your talking about
I use to love going 2 the parade what costumes and act youd see now its just a sad waste of time and am not going this year its a waste of time all you see is people acting stupid and walking around naked and drunk it really is a shame what it has turned in2 and gives coney island a bad name they should do away with it and come up with something else my concern is that thye destroyed the cyclone by taking away the old ticket booth I thought if it was landmarked you couldn't change it also they put in a over priced candy store called sugar where 2 day alone I say peopleputting their bared hand in 2 the candy bins one kid actually took out a piece of candy didn't like it and spit it back into the loose candy bin I told the workers there and nothing was done over priced and dirty cany yuck
May 3, 2013, 8:40 pm
ty from pps says:
Nancy - Three questions. (1) Are you related to Tal Barzilai? and (2) Your random use of "2" is seriously irritating... sorry, not a question. and (3) Punctuation is a really helpful convention.
May 3, 2013, 8:55 pm
nancy from coney says:
johnny /ty

boy you guys have issues you can say what you want but no one else can huh you don't know me or where im from we have never met so you cant say anything about me and nothing you say bothers me so stop acting like sad little children and get a life and get off the computer that being said I abbreviate when I type and just say what I have 2 say and leave here cause unlike you guys don't spend my day on on the computer I have a life and live it no matter what you say this is America and I can say what I want you guys are so sad that you make nasty remarks about people you must make your families proud that being said to everyone else I grew up in coney im there when I can get there I have friends that own businesses on the boardwalk and I am friends with the people that run the amusement areas so I know what I am talking they have all sorts of new things there and is always busy and like I said I will not be at the parade this year because its not like it use 2 be its just a sad excuse for people 2 act stupid get drunk and run around naked
May 4, 2013, 8:55 am
nancy from coney says:
johnny /ty

May 4, 2013, 8:55 am
nancy from coney says:
curious as 2 why someone like johnny who doesn't know how 2 speak nicely to a person and hates coney so much would want to work there and get married there if you hate it so much don't go there and leave bklyn we don't need you caio usually I igore sad little people who cant say nice things but had to say something byeeeeee
May 4, 2013, 9:10 am
nancy from coney says:
May 4, 2013, 9:10 am
nancy from coney says:
May 4, 2013, 9:10 am
nancy from coney says:
May 4, 2013, 9:10 am
nancy from coney says:
May 4, 2013, 9:10 am
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
Nancy, I appreciate that you took time in between 2 of your 11 daily meals to reply to me you pig. Allow me to respond to your 62 word long sentence.

1) I have a job that pays me 6 figures and tells me to work in Coney Island, so I work there.
2) there's a very nice wedding hall that offers a great price in Coney Island, so I go married there.
3) I haven't been on a computer in months. This is all from my smart phone. When I'm bored, I come on and see which lemmings replied to my rants. Thank you for joining the cause.
4) Coney has some things to offer. I enjoy a cyclone game and a day at the beach. I also am a fan of the aquarium. Doesn't change the fact that the neighborhood is gross. Remember, Yankee Stadium is nice, but it doesn't turn the South Bronx into Beverly Hills.

Stop living in denial. Coney Island is a toilet bowl. Sure, its not a cesspool like it used to be. It's more of an outhouse with plumbing now.

Ok, like I said. Thanks for the reply. You can go back to turning tricks on West 31st and Mermaid now.
May 4, 2013, 10:02 am
ty from pps says:
Nancy,
You do know that 224 words is not a sentence, right? periods and commas are the difference between communication and the rantings of a crazy woman.
May 4, 2013, 11:26 am
nancy from coney says:
say what you want you guys don't know me met me or anything I can write whatever I want which ever way I want your comments dont bother me and who cares where you work had your wedding big deal the riveria where you had your party is not that great and who cares about your big paycheck when your a rude individual have a nice life and learn how to be nice to people if your rude you get rude remarks back bye children
May 4, 2013, 11:55 am
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
^^^^^^^ Those are the words of a virgin^^^^^^^

I'm sorry no boys will touch your hoo hah, Nancy. You don't have to take it out on us,, you lonely lurch. You say we don't know you, but I do. You're the lonely pig of a woman who sits at home with her twelve cats wondering why no one loves her. And your only friends are the Asian can ladies that come on recycling night. You give them a wave out your window as they pilfer through your garbage look for that sweet aluminum gold they crave.
May 4, 2013, 12:03 pm
nancy from coney says:
ok im leaving for the day
I am sending you this one last message
I don't know what your issues are
but like I said why you chose to be nasty 2 me
and say mean things is strange because my opinions on coney are different than yours
but I will not deal with a nasty individual like you farther I only deal with nice people who have nice things to say you have 2 learn 2 be nice now go and have a nice life im ignoring you from now on even in the future when icome 2 read the articles here and post a comment you cant reason with mean people bye
May 4, 2013, 12:29 pm
ty from pps says:
Nancy,
I'll learn to be nice when you learn to use periods and commas.
May 4, 2013, 12:30 pm
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
Hahaha @ ty

Nancy, you keep replying. Hmmmmmmm... I got you roped in.
May 4, 2013, 1:34 pm
ty from pps says:
holy —— Nancy, just watched you run in the Kentucky Derby and you are not a horse, but a cow!!
May 4, 2013, 5:40 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
nancy - ty and chops are the ass holes of the same coin - let them insist ee cumming correct caps first - anyone who gets so bent out of shape .... well pretty good bet the babes aren't banging down their doors
May 4, 2013, 5:42 pm
ty from pps says:
Nancy -
Just to be clear... I didn't write that comment about you being a cow. I think you're enough of a nutjob without having to add speculations about your girth.

(Old Time - you do know e.e. cummings was (a) a poet and (b) actually used punctuation and other means of organizing his words... no so much for ol' Nancy.)
May 4, 2013, 6:37 pm

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: