Organizer Brett Bara says making stuff is here to stay

Drop and give me 20 slip stitches! Craft boot camp coming to Greenpoint

for The Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

Diehard do-it-yourselfers looking to tighten up their crochet stitches can now test their mettle at craft boot camp.

On October 5, the Brooklyn Craft Camp sets up shop at Greenpoint’s Messiah Church for how-tos on the latest trends in arts and crafts, guiding campers through such projects as making their own custom-stamped stationary and building a terrarium.

The day-long camp is the brainchild of Greenpoint resident Brett Bara, who is a bona fide Martha Stewart of Brooklyn. Bara is the former editor of Crochet Today magazine, current host of public television’s “Knit & Crochet Now!” and a life-long craftswoman. She launched the first Brooklyn Craft Camp last spring to address what she saw as a dearth of crafts eduction in the borough that is home to crochet graffiti installations and its own knitting festival.

“Brooklyn is the epicenter of the DIY craft movement now,” Bara said. “I know people really want to know more about crafting, but I noticed there wasn’t a go-to place for that.”

The inaugural camp sold out this past March and Bara sensed a demand for more. The upcoming October 5 session will run much like the first, offering plenty of goodies, including Peter Pan donuts, cocktails, and a gourmet lunch, as well as a variety of workshops taught by leading artisan bloggers and authors. Attendees can take four 90-minute classes, choosing from topics such as glass etching, suede tassels, nail art, framed papercut art, loom-knitted necklaces, needle felting, sequin bracelets, and more.

“We have come to think of craft camps as a tasting menu,” Bara said. “You can come and dabble in a lot of different things.”

There will be more to sample later this fall when Bara opens the Brooklyn Craft Company, a permanent offshoot of the camp in Greenpoint’s Pencil Factory at Franklin and Greenpoint avenues. Bara is aiming for a November opening and plans to use the space to host in-depth classes in sewing, printmaking, and knitting, and to provide outside crafters with the tools they need.

“We have 20 sewing machines coming in two weeks,” Bara said. “The idea is to really build the go-to place in Brooklyn for modern, DIY craft classes.”

Brooklyn Craft Camp at Messiah Church [129 Russell St., between Driggs and Nassau avenues in Greenpoint,]. Oct. 5, 10 am–7 pm, $285.

Updated 2:53 pm, October 1, 2013

Don’t miss our updates:

Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
"No dearth of craft education in the boro".

No Brett, it's alive, well where it belongs - in elementary schools.
Oct. 1, 2013, 7 am
ty from pps says:
DH -- You were awfully quiet when it came to someone getting beaten bloody by a "real" local... but you're back again today with your calls for violence on an article about women doing crafts? ("hanging Haydens") Hmm...
Oct. 1, 2013, 9:47 am
Bob from downtown says:
Crafties, you do not HAVE to make "suede tassels" ... or stained-glass orthotics, handwoven toothbrushes, crocheted K-cup cozies, or whatever the hell else.

This is nyc, not S. Dakota. You needn't hunker down in the cabin and create busywork that'll get you through the hard winter.
Oct. 1, 2013, 10:28 am
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
Hi Bob. My name is John Wasserman. Can I just say that you aren't telling these people anything they don't already know? I hope it's okay, because I already said it. I might also add that the winters in NYC have been quite brutal lately, unless they are not. Am I to believe that knitting and stitching is only something that is done outside of NYC? Wait just a minute. $285? What? Is this a joke? Pardon me.
Oct. 1, 2013, 11:25 am
Bob from downtown says:
John W -- nyc winters haven't yet driven new yorkers into compulsive homeschooly scrapbooking or weaving imaginary neighbors out of cat hair or making clever eating utensils out of tree branches.

My cousin is a hardcore crafter with a whole houseful of whimsically lumpy-offkilter woven-carpentered-sewn results. It's a regular funhouse. You wanna run right out of there and hug a symmetrical steel cube.

Also, my college gf majored in crafts and I suffered thru three years of 2-lb. (each) pottery "wineglasses," diseasey wallhangings and weird scarves with twigs and rocks in them.

This is nyc! and america! We need not replicate the desperate crafts of our poor immigrant forebears, esp for $285.
Oct. 1, 2013, 11:55 am
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
Does the $285 include lunch? Pardon my asking.
Oct. 1, 2013, 12:50 pm
Bob from downtown says:
" plenty of goodies, including Peter Pan donuts, cocktails, and a gourmet lunch" probably handspun from native carb and vodka trees and served with suede tassels.
Oct. 1, 2013, 1 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
Pardon the interruption, but last year it was $385, and included a jet ski. I hate to be the one to have to remember this.
Oct. 1, 2013, 1:09 pm
Bob from downtown says:
This time each person gets a jet-ski seedling and tips on firing a raku pot for it.
Oct. 1, 2013, 1:45 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
I hate to ask this, but are you being serious? How did you find that information out?
Oct. 1, 2013, 1:53 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
It's just so hard to tell over email.
Oct. 1, 2013, 1:55 pm
Bob from downtown says:
Of course I'm being serious.
I haven't grown any jet-ski seedlings but my Prius bulb is thriving just fine in the greenhouse. I'll probably harvest a new car by Halloween.
Oct. 1, 2013, 2:04 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
I find it hard to believe that, living in downtown, have that much room to grow a car. I have to admit that you "had me there" for a moment. Pardon the interruption.
Oct. 1, 2013, 2:08 pm
Bob from downtown says:
There's room if you grow the car vertically (nose-up), have small pets and put your furniture into ministorage for the duration.
Oct. 1, 2013, 2:16 pm
diehipster from Bludgeoning Brents says:
"John Wasserman: Failed Apologetic Comedic Commenter"
Oct. 1, 2013, 3:04 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
"diehipster: Failed Abortion"
Oct. 1, 2013, 3:14 pm
bkdude64 says:
@John Wasserman, Is that a nice thing to say? Apologize right away
Oct. 1, 2013, 9:19 pm
Billy from DWilliamsburg says:
I hate yarns.
Oct. 4, 2013, 3:51 pm
pookie da lion from slop slope says:
failed abortion = life
Oct. 6, 2013, 11:25 am

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!