Brooklyn Health Partners must gather cash

Top LICH bidder back in the saddle if it can muster $225 million

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

The company that won the right to redevelop Long Island College Hospital, then had it snatched away, will regain it if it can produce proof by Tuesday that it has access to the $250 million it pledged to purchase the place.

The stipulation came out of a lengthy court hearing on Thursday, which was convened after the state torpedoed talks with Brooklyn Health Partners and the medical developer sued to get back in the negotiation seat. Judge Johnny Lee Baynes ordered the state to deposit the $25-million check the company gave it as a down payment and for the company come back with a letter of credit showing it has access to the rest of the cash. Brooklyn Health Partners claimed in its lawsuit that the state shot down its proposal for no reason and that it will come up with the money, no problem.

“Brooklyn Health Partners only wanted the opportunity to perform, and on Tuesday, we will perform,” spokeswoman Donnette Dunbar said.

State lawyers, who wanted to see $600 million in financing from Brooklyn Health Partners, said the company has not come up with a capable enough team to keep medical services going after the hospital closes on May 22 and that Peebles Corporation, the second-ranked bidder, has a more promising partner, Borough Park’s Maimonides Medical Center.

“They have demonstrated that they cannot provide what they proposed,” state lawyer Kenneth Fisher said.

But Brooklyn Health Partners head Merrell Schexnydre said he is “absolutely” confident that the company will have all $250 million accounted for by Tuesday, and his reps promised to start negotiating with hospital workers and unions to form a team that could keep services going under a temporary operating license, which the Department of Health could issue to a qualified group with the financial wherewithal. The state plans to cease operations at 7 am on May 22 if no one has stepped up to run the medical center and the spurned bidder said it does not want to see that happen.

“It’s in our client’s interest to keep the lights on,” Brooklyn Health Partners founding partner Larry English said. “We made a commitment to these people.”

An attorney representing seven anti-closure community groups in a lawsuit against the state has also sued to challenge the scoring system used to rank the nine redevelopment proposals. The system was imposed as part of a court settlement meant to give more weight to pitches that included uninterrupted medical service and a full-service hospital, but the groups now say six scorers deviated from that and should have their evaluations struck from the total that helped push two no-hospital plans into second and third places. One scorer gave the four full-service hospital plans a zero, according to the lawyer, who said Prime Healthcare Services — a California-based hospital management corporation that wants to run a hospital with 100 beds to start — should be next in line if the Brooklyn Health Partners plan falls through again.

Staffers also claimed that the state recently tossed $15 million worth of hospital equipment in the garbage, including desks and furniture. One hospital staffer, who did not want to be identified, said she spoke to a driver who said he filled four dumpsters full of the stuff in one week. A state attorney vehemently denied the allegations, but Baynes said he may order the state to bring back equipment if it has actually been disposed of.

“We may go on a fact-finding exhibition,” Baynes said.

Reach reporter Megan Riesz at mriesz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505. Follow her on Twitter @meganriesz.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Wondering says:

He is BHP. What does he mean 'his client's best intertest'? Who are BHP's clients?
May 8, 2014, 6:44 pm
NotShocked from Bklyn says:
No surprise that the state is being accused of trying to sabotage the winning bid. It sabotaged LICH in order to justify closing & selling off the real estate. It sabotaged the 1st RFP process. Then it sabotaged the scoring of the bids that responded to the 2nd RFP. What do you expect of politically-well-connected high&mighties who spent a year violating supreme court orders, defying restraining orders, & spitting in the face of the judges time & again
May 8, 2014, 7:05 pm
Wondering says:
How are they planning to keep operations going on May 22 when SUNY is removing all the patients on May 12. What will be left to operate?
May 8, 2014, 7:58 pm
AmitySt from Cobble Hill says:
Judge Baynes can order whatever he pleases. It's all hot air. SUNY has never paid any attention to his orders and never had any consequence to pay for it either. Doubt they will start following his orders now.
May 8, 2014, 8:07 pm
Fernando Martinez from BED STUY says:
Maybe we need Judge Judy?
May 8, 2014, 10:47 pm
Close LICH Now! from Cobble Hill says:
LICH is a dump with substandard service, equipment and employees - it should have been closed years ago.
Lets end the charades and do what needs to be done, close the obsolete hospital that is costing us tax payers millions and move on.
There are plenty of hospitals within a few miles of LICH that offer much better service to the patients.
Goodbye and you wont be missed!
May 9, 2014, 5:40 am
LICH patient from Cobble Hill says:
Anyone that is against LICH is must be conected to SUNY how idiotic to make a remark that LICH should close. This has been a teaching Institution for many years many great people have worked at this facility I recomend you to take a look back in LICH History as well as the stats and rankings done by independent firms LICH has always rank amond the best.
I hope you never need to come to LICH
May 9, 2014, 7:48 am
Larry Littlefield from Windsor Terrace says:
If anyone is interested in data on public and private hospital employment in NYC, the U.S. etc. over the years, and related employment, you can find it here.

Spreadsheets with public employment and payroll, and related private employment, by category for NYC and all counties in NY State, all counties in NJ, the U.S. average and selected other areas may be found here.

It is amazing that as this saga has unfolded, no one has bothered to check on some basic questions: do we have relatively a lot of hospital employment or a little? What about other types of health care? Etc. I've been putting out a series of spreadsheets, charts and posts based on the 2012 Census of Governments from the U.S. Census Bureau, so you can find the information there.
May 9, 2014, 9:23 am
Close LICH Now! from Cobble Hill says:
The conspiracy theorists are all up in arms now!
I actually WORK AT LICH and have seen first hand the old outdated equipment that is onsite and often times do not function properly. I have witnessed time and time again the nasty attitudes and lack of compassion from many (but not all) nurses to their patients. My wife and I have had 3 children during my employment at LICH and we chose to have them birthed at LIJ because of the very things that I have witnessed. LICH needs to close and if it was up to me I would put a wrecking ball to this damned place!
May 9, 2014, 9:58 am
Shanny from BK Hts says:
Dear "CLOSE LICH NOW" This happens to be nurses week and you just summarily called all dedicated nurses at LICH substandard. HOW DARE YOU! What position are you in to call me substandard!! You do not know me or my background. You have no clue how dedicated and loyal a nurse I am. My heart & soul go into my work every day. I am so committed that I have spent my free time fighting the closure of my community hospital. Not for myself (as I can get another RN position easily) but for my patients. You couldn't handle one shift as a nurse, so don't speak on an entire group of employees that you know nothing about. Nurses save lives and spend their days easing the pain and suffering of the sick and dying. I can assure you that had you ended up a patient in my district, you would NOT have made such a statement. You sir, are an A@@.
Sincerely, a exceptional LICH RN
May 9, 2014, 9:59 am
M. Shatzer from Cobble Hill says:
BHP is not qualified to see this massive project through. They are newly formed and do not possess the necessary experience to handle a project of this size and scope. BHP is calling for 1000 units of multifamily housing yet they've NEVER DEVELOPED any multifamily housing ...ever! What about the fact they've NEVER redeveloped a hospital. This is laughable.
May 9, 2014, 2:18 pm
IWorkAtLICH2 from Carroll Gardens says:
I have to agree somewhat with "Close LICH NOW". The hospital is a train wreck right now. I do to blame the staff and nurses though, I blame management and the unions. I have seen many wonderful employees leave over the last 2 years. The physicians covering the ER now are pathetic, the equipment is obsolete, and there seems to be no qualified leadership left. I watched an ER physician sitting in the waiting room for over an hour on his phone.....pathetic! I digress though, there still are some amazing healthcare workers still left here, they deserve more than what they will probably end up with. LICH can return to its historical dominance in healthcare , it just needs a good flush!
May 9, 2014, 2:32 pm
Lucy from Bed study says:
Wow really people close LICH whether it closes or not those families that need a full service hospital will suffer and for those who sound pretty stupid for there comments should sit down and just shut up what other hospitals do we go to Methodist and wait six hours before you are even seen and don't be in pain cause they turn their heads and ignore you, oh wait let's try Brooklyn hospital where they just experiment on patients and the worst is it's so over crowed in both places you stay in the Ed for days seriously, LICH needs people that care enough about the community and not so much about filling their pockets. Lich is our community hospital and we stand by her till the end.
May 9, 2014, 10:15 pm
A patient from Bay Ridge says:
I have been following this issue closely and as a patient, it is scary and confusing. I've been coming to see my doctor in LICH for months and I never know if the hospital will still be open, if I can reach him when I'm sick, where he will be next and will it be wheelchair accessible? Will he be unemployed for awhile? What do I do then?

I do know that the hospital was poorly run in the past, some of the guards were bullies to patients (including me when I was sick and also had a broken ankle), the 1st floor ladies' bathroom was horrible and signage was never good so patients and visitors could not find their way. Some doctors left years ago out of frustration. Patients, too. However, most staff and doctors we dealt with were professional and kind and the ER was well-organized and faster than most ER's.

I hope there still will be a LICH in the future. I'm not impressed with Maimonides or Lutheran or Methodist.
May 9, 2014, 10:29 pm
Josef from Brazil says:
Help America, we are live civil war in Brazil. People are die all day!
May 10, 2014, 8:13 am
slick from Brooklyn says:
Of course, the hospital is in poor condition. It's been underfunded and under-appreciated for several years now. The sword dangling over its head has also affected staff and management as well.

However, that doesn't change the issue of whether LICH is needed in the community. I honestly don't know the answer, but I do know that, if it's dismantled, it will be nearly impossible to build another hospital in the neighborhood again.

If the decision is made to save it, we can only hope that, once its position is secure, it can improve its offerings. There is plenty of room in the market for a hospital in Brooklyn to offer upcharges such as deluxe birthing rooms, etc., like hospitals in Manhattan. The hope would be that the hospital would not be so dependent on Medicaid and other insurances that don't pay the amounts to keep the doors open.
May 11, 2014, 4:17 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!