Sections

Judge temporarily halts Prospect Park Residence eviction

House arrest! Judge puts the brakes on Slope elderly eviction

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

The seniors facing eviction from their tony Grand Army Plaza nursing home got a brief reprieve on Friday when a judge ordered management to keep the place open, for now.

Prospect Park Residence, which occupies a nine-story building at 1 Prospect Park West and was slated to close on Friday, will stay open until a lawsuit by angry family members challenging its closure is settled, a judge ruled. The judge also ordered the assisted-living facility to reinstate its night nurse, allow private aids back into the facility, and provide all the services it had committed to before it started transferring elderly residents out. A lawyer for the families said they are happy with the momentary freeze, but complained that the closure process has been flawed from the get-go, when the Department of Health signed off on the shuttering plan without any push-back.

“We had serious concerns about the closure plan that was rubber-stamped by the DOH,” said Aurore DeCarlo, an attorney with the Legal Aid Society’s Brooklyn Office for the Aging. “It seemed like a really skeletal version of what it should look like.”

In March Prospect Park Residence bigs gave its elderly wards just three months to scram, saying increased taxes had struck the facility a fatal financial blow. But the suit charges the operators and the building owner did not do enough to prepare for transferring the vulnerable oldsters and that the Department of Health should not have signed off on the plan.

The old folks’ home is in a prime spot across President Street from 9 Prospect Park West, where actor Chloe Sevigny bought a pad for $2 million in December and Sen. Charles Schumer (D-New York) lives with his wife City University of New York vice chancellor Iris Weinshall.

Reach reporter Noah Hurowitz at nhurowitz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505. Follow him on Twitter @noahhurowitz
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

SueTheGovernor from Brooklyn says:
This judge's order sounds just like the many similar orders that Judge Johnny Lee Baynes gave to SUNY when he restrained them from shutting down services at LICH all last year. But SUNY totally ignored him, restored nothing & kept right on shutting down. Let's hope the seniors have a better outcome than LICH did.
June 18, 2014, 12:49 am
Eileen Diaz from Bergen County NJ says:
Stop the disrespectful eviction of the people who paved the way for us today. Leave them in their homes!
June 23, 2014, 6:33 am

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: