Sections

Jason Stevens says he’ll pay couples back

Rebar owner agrees to $1M restitution for lovebirds

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

It’s the big payback.

Rebar owner Jason Stevens has agreed to pay back more than $1 million to the dozens of couples who had weddings booked at his venue when it closed abruptly in May, according to Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s office. Spurned lovebirds lauded the deal.

“I’m elated,” said Christian Pascarella, a groom-to-be that has been organizing the couples to seek justice. “What he did was wrong, but if he’s trying to make some restitution that’s great.”

The agreement means that the 73 couples who have filed complaints with the attorney general and shown proof of having paid Stevens should get their money back, if Stevens has it. Scheiderman’s office said it does not know whether Stevens can muster the money or not. The deal needs a judge to sign off on it and additional couples will have 120 days to come forward after that, the spokeswoman said.

The agreement comes on the same day that Stevens pleaded guilty to tax evasion and grand larceny charges in a separate case that could send him to prison for as long as 10 years. The bargain he’s making now could save him from charges of fraud for the pocketed nuptial payments, Pascarella speculated.

“It seems like he’s doing the right thing,” he said. “Whatever his motivations are, at least he’s owning up to it and being a man about it.”

Reach reporter Matthew Perlman at (718) 260-8310. E-mail him at mperlman@cnglocal.com. Follow him on Twitter @matthewjperlman.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Chris from Harlem says:
This sounds good in theory, but currently it appears that the $1M figure being thrown around is just a cap, in the sense that up to $1M is to be paid to reBar couples to pay back part of the money they lost.

The understanding right now, though hopefully that will change, is that none of that $1M exists and so money would only be paid if Jason Stevens magically wins the lottery or does extremely well financially once he's out of jail AND pays toward this like he's supposed to (which, he does not have a god track record on, because the only reason he was in court at all was because he stopped paying the payments he was ordered to make to the IRS)... so, we'll see what happens. We're still optimisitic that this might be a step in the right direction?... but it's not as though there is actually money set aside to be distributed out to reBar couples to pay back their losses at this point (or at least that's what it sounds like from conversations with the AG's office)
June 13, 2014, 10:38 am
bklove says:
yikes chris that sucks! This whole story is so surreal.
June 13, 2014, 2:40 pm
Chooch from Chooch and Chong Show says:
Bim-skala-goddamn
June 15, 2014, 9:53 pm
ray says:
How do I go about getting my money back? This is the first I'm hearing about this.
July 29, 2014, 4:40 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: