EXCLUSIVE

Killarney Pub closing tomorrow after farewell bash

Don’t miss our updates:

The luck of the Irish has run out.

Bay Ridge institution Killarney Pub is closing on Oct. 9 after 90 years. The bar’s owner said business had been drying up for some time.

“The bar has been in the tank for the last five years,” said barkeep Paddy Finn. “The writing was on the wall even then.”

Finn had been trying to sell the building for more than a year, but an initial deal fell through after seven months of talks.

Local jeweler Ibrahim Salem bought the building on Oct. 3 for $1.3 million. Salem said he may put a medical facility in the space, but has not made any formal plans.

The building’s main draw was simply that it was on the market, according to Salem, who is also an avid real estate investor.

“It was a building for sale so we wanted to buy it,” he said.

But Finn, who has owned and operated the Fifth Avenue bar since 1997, says he hasn’t poured his last pint just yet.

“I’m actively looking for a new location,” he said. “I’m very open, but I’d prefer outside of Bay Ridge.”

Finn said the neighborhood’s growing population of Muslims, who abstain from alcohol, has made the Ridge a less desirable place to pull pints.

“It’s the changing of the guard,” he said. “There’s a lot of people that don’t drink.”

Finn is throwing a party on Thursday where he and his patrons will celebrate the bar they loved in the best way they know how.

“I’m going to get drunk,” Finn said.

Killarney Pub Closing Party at Killarney Pub (6911 Fifth Ave. between Bay Ridge and Ovington avenues). Oct. 9, from 4–10 pm.

Reach reporter Max Jaeger at mjaeger@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–8303. Follow him on Twitter @MJaeger88.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

bkmanhatman from nubrucklyn says:
If you made the place welcoming for hipsters and transplants you might have been saved.
Oct. 8, 2014, 12:58 pm
annemari from staten island says:
I'm very sad over the closing of Killarney Pub. It is, was, and always will be a great place that will always hold a special place in my heart. I will treasure the fond memories, and I wish Paddy Finn, a wonderful man with a heart of gold, all the best in his future endeavors.
Oct. 8, 2014, 3:27 pm
Lizzy from Bay Ridge says:
Wishing Paddy all the very best, and will be sure to come into the new place for a pint when the time comes.
Oct. 8, 2014, 6:38 pm
Art from Neptune says:
Sad to read this. Back in the early 50's I met my Pop when he was on his way home. Jack Russell and Artie Wright made it a nice neighborhood, working peoples bar. Another icon closing.
Oct. 8, 2014, 6:47 pm
Andrew Burger from bay ridge says:
Many great times spent there. Was there when her water broke. Of course it was dart league night. Take care. Best wishes.
Oct. 8, 2014, 7:38 pm
paddy P from Bay Ridge says:
Goog luck Paddy! The memories live on through us and the good times even longer!
Oct. 8, 2014, 7:57 pm
jg from bayridge says:
Killarney will be missed :(
Oct. 8, 2014, 8:01 pm
Kari Payton from Bay Ridge says:
I wish it wasn't closing but maybe if Killarney's wasn't such a hotspot for 16 year olders to get black out drunk I would have went there.
Oct. 8, 2014, 8:28 pm
Stan from Kahnawake Que Canada says:
Some of the best times I ever had. My true home away from home. Time marches on and Paddy Finn will now move onto another chapter of his generous and warm hearted life. I wish you well Paddy and one day I will come to visit my old friend.. Cheers!
Oct. 9, 2014, 12:36 am
paula tzounakos from bay ridge/Davidson NC says:
Wow end of an era for sure.. many great times at the Kilarney! Good luck guys!!.
Oct. 9, 2014, 6:19 am
Vlad from Brooklyn says:
Very sad, like an oasis is a sea of lifeless sand, this hold-out kept my spirits up when I would go to the movies, often stopping for a libation before.
Oct. 9, 2014, 8:12 am
Phantom from Bay Ridge says:
The bar will be open until 4am this last ( not at 10pm ) as per Paddy himself last night.

He said that there were other errors in the article, not worth going into.

An editor would be nice.
Oct. 9, 2014, 8:23 am
Phantom from Bay Ridge says:
-this last night--
Oct. 9, 2014, 8:24 am
Eddiemac from Bay Ridge says:
Art from Neptune you've got it mixed up. The owners back then were Jack Wright and Artie Russell.
Oct. 9, 2014, 9:01 am
bayridge-ite123 from bay bridge says:
@bkmanhatman.... A large chunk of hipsters and transplants are of Irish descent and would feel very welcome there, smart guy. Don't kick a man when he's down. The owner is right about the changing area.
Oct. 9, 2014, 12:43 pm
deep ridge from bay ridge says:
No hipster is going to 69th and 5th.
Oct. 9, 2014, 3:56 pm
Phantom from Bay Ridge says:
You'd be surprised. I saw a couple of them in there last night.

Most of the side streets around there are just fine. An about to be married young professional friend just bought two apartments in one of the apartment houses on Ovington Avenue and will combine and rehab them.
Oct. 9, 2014, 4:20 pm
BarWench from Bay Ridge says:
It's a shame. I'm glad I got to share this place with my brother while he was visiting. Good luck, Paddy
Oct. 9, 2014, 4:40 pm
Craig D from Kahnawake says:
Killarneys will be missed ,a lotta good ppl n good memories there! Good luck paddy !
Oct. 9, 2014, 5:03 pm
Alan T from Atlanta Ga......ex-Bayridge says:
In my own personal experience, this was the best bar ever. August 2001, on my first night in Brooklyn we had a great night here that I will never forget. I quickly became a regular and there are numerous unforgettable nights and some days that followed. Paddy is a true gentleman and it was a pleasure to be served by him. I'm still friends with the other regulars of this bar today. Most of us quit drinking a long time ago so that doesn't help Paddy's cause,LOL but we always talk about some of the best nights of our lives there. Best of luck Paddy.
Oct. 9, 2014, 9:26 pm
Margaret O'Donnell says:
Best of Luck Paddy. Many great memories in the Killarney.
Oct. 10, 2014, 8:44 am
Phantom from Bay Ridge says:
Paddy is a great barman and an even better person.

Live long and prosper.
Oct. 10, 2014, 11 am
Ginny M from 79th Street Above 5th Avenue says:
Sad to see you go! Just what we need - another Hookah Lounge?
Oct. 10, 2014, 11:30 am
Boris from Borough Park says:
It won't be a hookah lounge there. maybe a halal BBQ spot, specializing in southern style whole roasted pigs.
Oct. 10, 2014, 12:26 pm
felim from leitrim ireland says:
long time since y worked in currans best of luck what ever you do i used to work at the lief many moons ago.
Oct. 11, 2014, 7:07 pm
Eric from Las Vegas says:
Wow, how sad. This is a very historic place for New York. It should be declared a historic site due to the Mohawk Indians that have built many of New York City sky scrapers and occupied residence in this neighborhood.
They frequented this watering hole as early as the 1930s.
Good luck!
Jan. 16, 2015, 7:49 am
Sam says:
Drove by, and saw it had closed down. So much history to this place, just GONE. This place use to be a hardware store during prohibition. So many awesome memories. One day I started talking to the fine gentelmen behind the bar, about its history, and I had no idea he was the owner. Mr Paddy Finn is such a nice man, I wish you the best of luck, from the bottom of my heart. Im sad.
Oct. 10, 2015, 5:34 am

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: