►Audio

Dice’s sound advice: Don’t take a 9-year-old to my Coney Island show

Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

Brooklyn Paper Radio

Brooklyn-born comedian Andrew Dice Clay added a new wrinkle to his oversized persona Thursday on Brooklyn Paper Radio when he doled out sage advice to hosts Gersh Kuntzman and me on the right way to raise kids.

“No, you should not take your 9-year-old son to my show,” Dice admonished me when I asked if it was a good thing to do.

The reason I shouldn’t? Not because of the colorful language.

“He won’t get it,” he said of my very intelligent son.

And that’s just the tip of the Diceberg that was out half-hour interview with the heavy weight king of comedy, who’ll be coming back to Brooklyn on July 30 for his performance at the new Coney Island Amphitheater.

And if history is a barometer it’s sure to be sold out, thanks to Clay’s popularity in his hometown.

“When I played the Cyclones stadium it was so cold I miserable out, I didn’t want to show up,” he said of his last Brooklyn Performance at MCU Park in 2011. “It was raining and like 30 degrees, but people filled the place. That’s Brooklyn.”

It’s not the first time Dice has chatted with The Paper, which, the record shows, launched his career.

Clay shot to fame shortly after the scrappy little tabloid wrote about the antics of one Andrew Clay Silverstein before anybody else back in 1979.

The Dice interview went down as “Iron Man” James Hook used his tool of the trade to straighten out the collars of our hosts’ shirts — yet another Brooklyn Paper Radio first.

Of course the show was not without controversy, as Kuntzman walked out in the middle of the interview to attend a Paul Simon concert in Queens, a neighboring borough.

“Where did he go?” Dice asked.

So take a listen and enjoy the latest edition of Brooklyn Paper Radio.

Brooklyn Paper radio is recorded and podcast live every Thursday at 4:45 pm — for your convenience — from out studio in America’s Downtown and can be found, as always, right here on BrooklynPaper.com, on iTunes at, on Mixlr, and of course, on Stitcher.

Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Hello John Wasserman. John Wasserman. If you don't mind my asking, what is this that you are talking about? What sort of "job" would this be, and how much does it pay (because I am certainly unaware of this)? Are you suggesting that the Brooklyn Paper owes me money? I hate to ask this on such short notice (and on a Thursday, for that matter). Kindly pardon this particular interruption. Please get back to us as soon as you can if you don't mind.
John Wasserman
June 30, 2016, 12:13 pm
Zaxby says:
No one cares Wasserman.
July 1, 2016, 10:09 am
9 year old boy says:
Don't tell me how to live my life - I go where I want to!
July 1, 2016, 3:33 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
John Wasserman is a Brooklyn Paper inside job!!!!!
July 4, 2016, 8:13 pm
Charlie L. from Park Slope/ south beach S.I. says:
Love this site ...keeps me close to Bklyn
Nov. 19, 2016, 1:07 pm

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: