✔ Poll

Poll: What do you think of the new Jay Street bike lane?

Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

Nothing incites reasonable discourse in the Brooklyn Paper comments section like an old fashioned bike lane article! Share your feelings here before engaging in some civil discussion.

Reader poll

So, what do you think?

Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, N.Y. says:
It is a great improvement, however I just know that a lot of us fat & selfish motorists will still feel entitled to drive and park in the bike lanes. We really should be caned or flogged, it's the only way some will learn and I get off on the stinging.
Sept. 12, 2016, 9:38 am
Jennifer from Brooklyn Heights says:
I hate the lanes. Bikers do not follow proper driving rules. They go through red lights. They are upset when you cross over on to them.
Sept. 12, 2016, 9:41 am
Jennifer from Brooklyn Heights says:
In all truthfulness, I just hate myself. I'm overweight, never been touched by a man (or woman), and all I have are my cats who do not reciprocate the smothering love I force upon them. FML
Sept. 12, 2016, 10:56 am
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
I'm sorry Jennifer. Please try to hang in there. I am glad, however, that you've decided to come clean on the air like this (if you don't mind my saying so). Perhaps a paper route would cheer you up.
John Wasserman
Sept. 12, 2016, 12:59 pm
Ken from Greenpoint says:
bikers need to be educated and follow the rules and regulations,
Sept. 12, 2016, 3:05 pm
Trollerskates from Moving Target says:
Car owners are all overweight and miserable, and should spend the rest of their sad lives on a motorized scooter in a Wal Mart in flyover country.
Sept. 12, 2016, 3:39 pm
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
More rewards for bad behavior.

But the good news is that with a bike lane there is someplace to dump the snow in the winter.
Sept. 12, 2016, 5:33 pm
boof from brooklyn says:
Car drivers, however, don't need to follow any rules or regulations, if they don't feel like it. That's why we see so much speeding, red-light running, double parking, parking in bike lanes, failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, etc....
Sept. 12, 2016, 5:37 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First of all, I didn't make that comment this morning especially at that time, and it shows the true nature of the bike zealots. Nevertheless, I feel that it was a bad idea to a place a bike lane on Jay Street. Just like other major thoroughfares, placing bike lanes on them is a bad idea considering how many commercial vehicles are using them. BTW, some of the comments coming from you bike zealots are downright insulting. For record, not all of us motorists are overweight nor do we need a scooter to get around, plus we follow the rules a lot more times than any of you bike zealots do, so start practicing what you preach for once or you have no moral legitimacy to your claims. More importantly, stop with the impersonations, because just like the personal attacks, I find them very unprofessional as well and makes me want to question your actual ages.
Sept. 12, 2016, 6:38 pm
Jim from Cobble Hill says:
And this is what happens when you have unmoderated comments
Sept. 12, 2016, 9:10 pm
Jim from Cobble Hill says:
Hey Tal,

"For record, not all of us motorists are overweight"

Not all of them, but you are.
Sept. 13, 2016, 10:51 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Jim, just cut the stereotypes and impersonations if you ever want me to take your kind seriously.
Sept. 13, 2016, 4:57 pm
what from the hell says:
hey tal,

just want to grasp what is happening here:

please explain.
Sept. 14, 2016, 10:45 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I haven't been able to grasp it in many many years. It will probably never happen.
Sept. 14, 2016, 3:05 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First of all I wasn't here at all day yesterday because I was out the whole day. More importantly, you should look up what I am comparing the bike zealots. If you don't, then you will just be stuck with your head scratching on this. The only reason why I have related Streetsblog to the Electronic Intifada is because just like how those on the Electronic Intifada have an open anti-Israel bias, those on Streetsblog have an open anti-car bias.
Sept. 15, 2016, 5:05 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I was busy all day yesterday, molesting a dead horse.
Sept. 16, 2016, 1:39 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!