Back in Bridge-ness! Squibb Park Bridge ready to reopen!

Up and down: A less-bouncy Squibb Park Bridge will soon reopen.
Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

The Squibb Park Bridge its bouncing back!

Repairs on the long-shuttered, trampoline-like walkway that connects the Brooklyn Heights Promenade to the Brooklyn Bridge Park are finally finished, and park officials say they are just waiting on the paperwork so it can reopen, according to a rep for waterfront meadow.

“The planned work on the Squibb Park Bridge remediation is now complete,” said park spokesman James Yolles. “We have filed the application to obtain our notice of completion, and await its response. The bridge remains on track to reopen this spring.”

The eight-foot wide, nearly $4-million walkway — conceived and built by “genius” inventor Ted Zoli — zigzags from the playspace on Columbia Heights down to the park, a 450-foot stretch that gives walkers a fast route down to the water, as well as a short hike to the Promenade for guests of the park’s fancy new hotel.

It first opened in March 2013, but was closed in August 2014 due to an “inherently flawed” design for which park honchos later sued the company of the genius whose brainchild it was.

That flaw? For one, it was way too bouncy. But members of the park’s board of directors, who got a pre-opening tour on Wednesday, say the fixed version of the bridge will be a lot less bouncy.

Ultimately, repair costs ran into seven figures, with management at the privately run park okaying $3.12 million for the big fix.

The city Department of Small Business Services — the agency that works to connect people to jobs and, for some reason, oversees maintenance of waterfront properties — is in charge of inspecting the spruced-up bridge and approving the removal of the fences currently blocking it.

The nearly three-year closure inconvenienced many locals who say they depended on it to get to the park, including one Brooklyn Heights resident who has been keeping tabs on the pathway since it closed.

“That bridge would change my life, “ said bridge lover Brendan Rees. “It did when it was open.”

Reach reporter Lauren Gill at lgill@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2511. Follow her on Twitter @laurenk_gill
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Joanie Meyer from Brooklyn Heights says:
Great news! I've been critical of some aspects of Brooklyn Bridge (Condo) Park but this was always a great idea and, wahtever the issues involved, I'm very pleased this is coming back.

Some of my anti-social neighbors in the Heights will disagree but I'm excited for the bridge's return.
April 6, 2017, 10:59 am
Morris from Mill Basin says:
The old bridge made me nauseous when I walked on it and bounced around. I hope whoever designed it has been killed.

As for this new bridge, I think I'll take the long way around and get my exercise, thanks. It's not an unpleasant walk, and anyone who thinks so needs to be killed.
April 6, 2017, 6:28 pm
Rob from Williamsburg says:
Unicycle Bridge Tour #309
Squibb Park Bridge by Unicycle
April 6, 2017, 8:35 pm
Martin says:
Recently on a Midtown subway platform, I heard someone shout 'hold da door!' and for a moment felt as though I was in still NYC, because few clutched their chests gasping in response. And if someone in that crowd felt they were being compromised by such a delay, they might've shouted back 'fck off! ' and everyone would have understood every which way, chuckling, rolling eyes, rumbling through the tunnel.
April 6, 2017, 9:09 pm
Jay says:
I said it before. I think this was a deal with the builders of the adjacent buildings. The cost of covering the bridge during construction would have been huge. As soon as construction started the bridge closed. As soon as the construction was completed the bridge openned! I predicted this in an earlier story about the closing on this paper. Soon you'll hear that bbp and the designer 'settled'!
April 7, 2017, 7:19 am
David Weinkrantz from Downtown Brooklyn says:
The article states that the park (Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation) sued the company [that designed?/built?] the bridge.

It also states that Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation ultimately paid the $3.12 million cost of the fix.

What happened to the lawsuit? Was the designer and/or builder of the bridge held financially responsible? If not, why not?
April 7, 2017, 7:34 am
Henry from Brooklyn says:
The timeline is incredibly suspicious. How convenient the bridge reopens just as the god-forsaken Pierhouse opens.
April 7, 2017, 8:22 am
O'Neill from Bay Ridge says:
I don't mind the bridge bounce. But what about the destabilizing force called inflation?
April 7, 2017, 8:31 am

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: