Disco fever!: ‘Saturday Night Fever’ fans to recreate 2001 Odyssey disco

Light up the night: Organizers will put down a light-up dance floor in the Chinese restaurant’s ballroom.
Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

Hustle back to Bay Ridge!

A group of dedicated “Saturday Night Fever” fans will celebrate the film’s 40th anniversary by bringing its disco setting back to life! For the night of Dec. 13, the 2001 Odyssey nightclub will return to the Bay Ridge space it once occupied for a free, blow-out dance party. The organizer of the event said that she and her five feverish friends want to bring Brooklynites back to 1977 by recreating the iconic spot.

“When I think of the movie, the first thought in my head is the 2001 Odyssey,” said Stephanie Ovadia, who grew up in Canarsie.

The former disco at 64th Street and Eighth Avenue is now home to Bamboo Garden, a Chinese restaurant, but organizers will restore the spot to its original glory by installing a light-up dance floor and disco balls for the night.

At the party, original cast members Karen Lynn Gorney — who played Stephanie, John Travolta’s love interest — and DJ Monte Rock III will hustle the night away as discos stars Carol Douglas, Randy from the Village People, and the Trammps play Tony Manero’s favorite songs, including “Disco Inferno.” After guests work up an appetite on the dance floor, they can snack on slices from Lenny’s Pizza, another Manero favorite.

Ovadia said that the pack of fans was inspired to recreate the space by their nostalgic longing for a simpler time.

“There’s a bunch of people who love this time period — it was cell phone-free, people actually spoke to each other,” she said.

At the party, cell phones will be allowed, but ’70s outfits are mandatory, said Ovadia, who planned ahead by putting a jumpsuit on layaway.

“I’m going all ’70s,” she said.

The space can hold up to 500 people, and the organizers hope Brooklynites young and old will turn out and travel back to a time when platforms and bell bottoms were not just acceptable, but all the rage.

“I hope that they feel like it’s a moment of being back in time,” she said. “Just back in a time of innocence, almost.”

Saturday Night Fever 40th Anniversary (802 64th St. at Eighth Avenue in Bay Ridge, www.40thanniversaryreception.com). Dec. 13 at 5 pm. Free with RSVP.

Editor’s note: As of Dec. 13 at noon, this event is full, and no longer accepting RSVPs. Please do not call our reporter asking for tickets.

Reach reporter Julianne McShane at (718) 260–2523 or by e-mail at jmcshane@cnglocal.com. Follow her on Twitter @juliannemcshane.
Updated 5:51 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Wrong address. But tell yourself it's the same place.

Former 2001 is now a vacant building with a for rent sign on it, but the Chinese place has a parking lot, and can use the business.
Dec. 7, 2017, 12:43 pm
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Pssst 6401 Seventh Ave. Stayin Alive!
Dec. 7, 2017, 5:42 pm
John from Bay Ridge says:
Neither address is actually in Bay Ridge.
Dec. 11, 2017, 11:57 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Point made!

I think this is fake as the link leads nowhere.
Dec. 11, 2017, 7:28 pm
Marko Antonio from Bensonhurst (60-th Street) says:
For those that lived through it....the music never ended and the disco experience lives on in our memories a lifetime !
Dec. 14, 2017, 12:21 pm
Adrienne Whelander from Park Slope says:
Disco was king from c.1976 to 1981 and those were the 5 best years of my life !
Dec. 14, 2017, 12:24 pm
Zeke The Freak from Huguenot (Staten Island) says:
Disco-fever started around 1976 and mushroomed into a national phenomenon by 1977 and hit its peak in 1979. This genre of dance music remained still popular in the early 80's though, until 1982 and then slowly waned out of popularity. In it's heyday, it was an entire culture of music, dance, fashion, style and attitude that can never be discounted or forgotten !
Dec. 14, 2017, 1:53 pm
Jaye Byrd from Stapleton, Staten Island says:
The former site of the 2001 Space Odyssey Disco
where Saturday Night Fever was filed in 1977 was at: 802 64-th Street in Bensonhurst (Brooklyn). It later became "The Spectrum" gay disco club in 1987, owned by Jay Rizzo and finally closed in 1995. The property was then sold to a developer and turned into the Chinese restaurant where the reunion was held yesterday, (13-Dec-17), to mark the 40-th anniversary of the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack,movie and album with John Travolta.
Dec. 14, 2017, 2:02 pm
Boris Zakutskiy from Bay Ridge says:
Yes! I went to the party last night and recognized several faces from the mid 1990's ,when it was The Spectrum gay dance club....everybody looked so old...LOL ! I had a great time and all the great memories of 1977 came flooding back to me ! Where did 4 decades go ? I was 20 in 1977 and had my first job on Wall Street for $125.00 a week in a bank. Today, many consultants get that per hour. I also remembered all the loved ones i lost in my life over time and this left me heart-broken, too. These things are part of life sadly, but the good memories of being so young, care-free.and loving disco can never be taken from me.
Dec. 14, 2017, 2:19 pm
Fran Lorlola from Union (N.J.) says:
Does anyone still have any of the "Disco Attire" saved from back in the day ? i.e. Platform shoes, skin-tight polyester bell bottoms,faux puffy silk shirts with ruffles, ugly three piece suits with huge collars,and so on ?
Dec. 15, 2017, 9:01 am
Montana from South Beach, S.I. says:
Karen Lynn Gormley was there Wednesday night and she looked fabulous!
Dec. 15, 2017, 9:38 am
Konstantina from Perth Amboy, N.J. says:
Does anyone on this site remember the "Spectrum" dance club that ran from 1987 to 1995 in the building of the original Saturday Night Fever disco from 1977? It was a very poplar gay disco and had the original lighted dance floor that John Travolta strutted his sexy bisexual ass on with Karen Gorney..... OH YES !!!!
Dec. 15, 2017, 10:43 am
Marcus The Singer from Livingston (S.I.) says:
I was only 16 in 1977 and not "Out" yet, but knew about this club and other gay disco dance clubs in the city,too. There even was a gay bar on Staten Island in South Beach that was a disco....but i was too young to get in or drink !I was very curious about it and one night and managed to sneak Back in those days, proofing under aged people in bars was very laxed and poorly enforced. I loved it....in there and it was an eye opener !
Dec. 16, 2017, 8:55 am
Madge Gomez from West Brighton,Staten Island says:
I was there Wednesday night and literally almost had an orgasm when i walked through the door ! The original dance floor and people dancing on it in disco attire;most of whom were in their late 0's to mid 60's....it was climactic !I nearly cae in my bloomas, it was like going back in time 40 years to 1977. I was 22 then, and a 62...and all those disco memories of my youth and innocence came rushing back...right down to my —— ! OH YES....Like never before !
Dec. 17, 2017, 9:52 am
Wonda Grossman from Weehawken, New Jersey says:
When they played Disco-Inferno...my twaht was literally on fire !
Dec. 17, 2017, 10 am
Little "Kinky" Sal from Great Kills, S.i. N.y. says:
My friend Madge just told me about this site and unfortunately, I missed this reunion this past Wednesday, 12/13/17. However, I was there at the original "2001 Odyssey Club" in 1977-79 regularly and recall it well. It was not a "Gay Club" the way Ice Palace-57 in the city was in those days, but it had a huge gay clientele. Sadly, most of us were not "Out" in those days and very closeted due to oppression and ubiquitous homophobia in the 1970's and 80's. Oh my....how times have changed !!!
Dec. 17, 2017, 10:30 am
Moishe Schiff from Borough Park says:
I was 19 in 1977 and went there disco dancing in those wonderful years of disco mania in the late 1970's...and will never forget the !
Dec. 18, 2017, 9:11 am
Freddie Zorba..."The Good Witch" from St. George, S.I. says:
I put on lavish drag shows at "Club Brazil" in the 1970's on Staten Island that were the talk of the town! I recall as if it were yesterday the disco era and all the dance clubs; gay and "straight" from those timeless days.
Dec. 18, 2017, 12:12 pm
Carlos Petrovados from Inverness, FL says:
I was there in 1977 ! I was only 21 and just "Out".Oh yes...and went regularly to the 2001 Space Odyssey disco in Manhattan, Studio-54, Ice Palace-57, and of course, the old Broadway's on New Utrecht Avenue in Brooklyn, Flavors in Kew Gardens (Queens), and Club Brazil on Staten Island in the late 1970's ...back in the gay !
Dec. 23, 2017, 10:14 am
Renata Skcorwoszjski (Green eyes) from Bulls Head says:
Today is Christmas Day 2017 and way back in 1977, Club Brazil had their annual holiday party...and i remember it as if it were yesterday !Where did 40 years go ?
Dec. 25, 2017, 10:36 am
J.W. from Port Richmond says:
recall this place clearly and was going to all the gay bars and disco dance clubs in Brooklyn like...Rhythms,Crissy T's, and Space Odyssey, and in Queens...Flavors, plus our beloved Club Brazil on Staten Island and IP-57 and Studio-54 in the city....way back in those glorious disco days !
Jan. 13, 12:12 pm
Mikey Spataro from Rockledge (Florida) says:
I went to all these discos back in the day....and am 64 today !
Jan. 29, 10:42 am
Mikey Beach from Stapleton Heights says:
I was owned my very own disco in 1977 on Forest Avenue and it was nothing but the best and rivaled Studio-54 in the city.I was the best DJ at Club Brazil back in the disco-era,too. Everything i did was absolutely the best and i remember with great fondness all these old memories.
Aug. 1, 11:10 am
Joanne Silver from Boerum Hill (Brooklyn) says:
I was 26 in 1977 and struggling with being a lesbian and coming OUT. I went to the 2001 Odyssey disco-club a lot back then. Divorced twice, indigent, homeless, flat-broke and simple minded; i realized i was alone in the world and never had a child of my own either as I could not get pregnant. Both my parents passed away by then, and my only brother committed suicide in 1980.I came OUT finally in the early 1990's and met my partner Wonda-Anne and we have been together ever since and have (8) cats ! We both love disco and it will always remind us of our youth !
Sept. 12, 10:55 am

Comments closed.

MetroPlus Roosevelt Savings Bank Coney Island Hospital Brookdale VillageCareMax

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: