Pavement at a premium: Metered-parking prices rise across boro next month

Take a hike: Motorists should expect parking rates close to double what they’re used to beginning on Sept. 4.
Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

Brooklynites already lamenting the fast-approaching end of summer have even less reason to look forward to fall because officials are hiking fees for metered parking across the city, beginning in Kings County on Sept. 4.

News of the fare increases could be described by one word, according to a local driver.

“It sucks,” said Marciello Pantano from behind the wheel of his car parked on Smith Street in Carroll Gardens.

Motorists who park their rides at metered spots in Downtown, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, and Boerum Hill will face the stiffest hike, with rates doubling from $1 to $2 per hour.

More-modest increases will hit select streets in Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Fort Greene, Bay Ridge, Fort Hamilton, Borough Park, Ditmas Park, Bath Beach, Midwood, Sheepshead Bay, and Brighton Beach, where hourly rates will go from $1 to $1.50.

And parking at all other metered spots in the borough will cost $1.25 per hour, up from $1.

The fee spikes are the first to take effect in five years, and are an effort to free up parking spaces in some of Brooklyn’s most-congested neighborhoods, according to Department of Transportation spokeswoman Lolita Avila, who said the increases bring local rates in line with those in other cities across the country, including Boston, where parking costs $1.25 per hour, and Chicago, where hourly prices range from $2 to $6.50.

But many Brooklyn motorists were perfectly content with New York City lagging behind other metropolises when it came to meter rates, according to another driver, who said the hike’s announcement blindsided him.

“I don’t love it,” said Pete D’Angelo, whose ride was parked on Smith Street near DeGraw Street. “I don’t agree with the price being raised.”

And the meter hikes aren’t the city’s only attempt to open up parking spaces on borough streets — earlier this year, officials set aside 100 spots across North Brooklyn for rental companies’ vehicles in an effort they claim will ultimately reduce the amount of cars stored on local roads.

— with Ben Verde

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505.
Updated 5:51 pm, August 15, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Angered says:
To call this "unfair" is an understatement! To many 25 cents is the difference between eating gum one day, or not. How can we afford the extra quarters? Is the city planning to pay this for us? If not, how will it work??
Aug. 13, 4:23 am
Angered says:
Aug. 13, 4:23 am
ty from pps says:
moremoneymoremoneymoremoney
Aug. 13, 10:17 am
Tyler from pps says:
I agree with John. Get rid of the Pennsylvania, Virginia and North Carolina plates and we'll all have ample parking everywhere and our insurance rates would probably go down.
Aug. 13, 10:30 am
John from Brooklyn Heights says:
We need to eliminate the parking placards given to local politicians. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Aug. 13, 1:55 pm
Rick from Brooklyn Heights says:
Eliminate parking permits for Federal, State and NYC employees in Brooklyn Heights!

In addition moderate the many " movie and television shoots" in the over-crowed downtown area. Today, it seems very excessive
Aug. 13, 2:34 pm
Mike from Prospect Heights says:
It costs money to run a city and this is better than taking money from people's paychecks.

But why such a small increase? Aspen Colorado charges $21 for 4 hours of metered parking. NYC charges less than the cost of a bus ride. No wonder we have too much traffic.
Aug. 13, 2:57 pm
Mike from Prospect Heights says:
Clarification: NYC charges less than the cost of a bus ride for a significant amount of time at a meter in many places -- not necessarily for four hour stays.
Aug. 13, 3:02 pm
harry from midwood says:
its real simple, its all about money. the inept dishonest politicos want to be able to dole out MY money to their favorite causes and groups. this isn't about traffic control, its corruption
Aug. 13, 5:47 pm
biff from bk says:
Oh boo hoo! Cry me a river, snowflakes! Can't afford to pay for parking? Too bad, take the bus.
Aug. 13, 8:06 pm
ty from pps says:
how are parked cars causing traffic
Aug. 14, 8:08 am
Tyler from pps says:
All of the people freaking out about the raised meter costs is EXACTLY the correct and intended reaction, and it's why rates go up.

If a spot is 25 cents an hour, you're not going to rush to move on (turnover, frees up space). But if it's 25 cents every 4 minutes, you're going to hurry up and there will be a space for another car needing to make a quick stop. (By the way, these rates are still way below "equilibrium pricing" that would actually make meter/on street parking work well)

As said before, if you need to stay longer, take a bus or pay.

This is New York City, not a sprawling suburb with no other transportation options.
Aug. 14, 11:37 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Get on the bus comrades, Agenda 21 needs to take away your choices.
Aug. 14, 11:43 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
If some of you drive on a regular basis, then you will understand why we see we are against this. Personally, I already see muni meter rates as high enough for the city, and placing them higher will hurt even more. For some of us, that is pretty steep, though you anti-car fanatics never saw a plan to nickel and dime motorists that you probably didn't like. In a way, this is sort of like congestion pricing. BTW, the difference with Chicago and SF is that they actually privatized metered parking, so they cost even more, which explains why so little are using them. As for saying we should be taking the bus, that's easy for those who live with good access to it, but not for those who don't, so I suggest spending some time in their shoes to understand why they have to drive rather than how. Ever since muni meters were introduced, they actually costed more. Another thing, unlike the individual parking meter, if you leave and there is still time, the other person can use. However, for the muni meter, when you leave the extra time leaves with you forcing anyone else to pay for it. Seriously, if the revenue for raising this is just going to some pet project, then I'm getting tired of us motorists always being used as the cash cow for them whenever it comes to footing the bill as if we have no protection by any means to avoid it.
Aug. 14, 1:01 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
There are still way too many parking spaces that cost nothing to park in.
Aug. 14, 3:58 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Those so-called free spaces are being paid for with their taxes for infrastructure, so in a way they are being paid for even if not on the spot.
Aug. 14, 6:24 pm
Pina109 from Bay Ridge says:
THE WORST MAYOR EVER!!
He is DESTROYING our city 😡
Aug. 14, 6:54 pm
Tyler from pps says:
Again -- all of the freaking out, while amusing, is precisely the correct psychological reaction. Hopefully this translates into changes in behavior.

(Though, the rates would have to be a bit higher. Also, the free parking needs to be regulated better and restricted to only those, minimally, with New York registrations. A simple 5-borough resident sticker would be even better, with a simple limited guest permit system.)
Aug. 15, 9:02 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Tyler, how will that help for those who live in surrounding suburbs or those that moved in from another state? There is a reason I have been against the idea of residential parking permits in certain neighborhoods in that it forces others to park even further from where they need to be due to such restrictions. Also, it only helps those who live in those said neighborhoods, but not anywhere else. Another thing is the fear that they could become abused just like the placards by those claiming that they can park wherever they please or even try to sell them off being real or fake to others to make a profit.

Pina109, it was Bloomberg who originally introduced muni meter parking to the city, not de Blasio. The original concept of this was for commercial vehicles during the day and would be turned over to the rest after the evening rush. One of the biggest claim to this was that it actually costs more to park with them in most areas. Unlike the regular parking meters where you had place in a quarter and the time was set for your vehicle in that space, you now have to walk over to the muni meter kiosk to pay for your time and then walk back to your vehicle to display the receipt for the amount of time you placed on your dashboard. There is a catch to this, because if you place incorrectly, there is a chance that you could be fined for not placing it where it was supposed to be or even upside down in some cases. Overall, I'm tired of always feeling nickeled and dimed here especially just for driving and feeling as if this is an indirect to way to say you're not being welcomed despite having such little choices to getting around.
Aug. 15, 12:46 pm
Tyler from pps says:
Tal --
It DOESN'T.

Why do the people from the surrounding suburbs think it's their right to park in New York City residential parking? They have paid parking lots, parking garages and park&ride stations.

People who moved from another state? I dunno... Do what I did, register your car in New York?

(By the way, Tal, I said a 5-Borough resident sticker. Not a nieghborhood one. You want to live in your mom's basement next to a golf course in Pleasantville. Fine. That's also where you get to park. Not my city residential parking.)
Aug. 15, 3:19 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Tyler, I just find the idea of residential parking permits for available spaces to be a bad idea. Even the cities that do have them don't guarantee parking spaces as those using them say it only works in the neighborhood they live in, but not anywhere else in their city. Keep in mind of the abuse of the placards, which I don't support one bit if you ever asked on me it, because I feel the same will happen with these. Again, I suggest you look at the causes to why some of us drive and not take mass transit, and that's mainly because there are areas where they really aren't any viable options hence the opposition for congestion pricing coming from such areas, plus there even transit deserts within the city lines. Another thing is that even lots and garages are becoming development sites, which is really making parking scarce as is the call for newer housing to have fewer or no parking minimums even though it would reduce the need for street parking. Until something is done to fix the needs of what's already there for parking, I say no residential parking permits should be issued at the time. On a side note, my car is already registered in this state especially since me and my family have been living in it ever since we came from Israel in the mid 1980's.
Aug. 15, 3:55 pm
Leroy from FIRST HOUSES. says:
Residential permits for the nomenclature. Tyler gets 2!
Aug. 15, 4:48 pm
Tyler from pps says:
Tal -- YOU LIVE IN PLEASANTVILLE. That is NOT New York City. You don't have any say over the residential parking or, really, anything in a city where you don't live.

Your car has a wonderful parking space in Pleasantville outside of your mom's basement. The residential parking space in New York City are NOT FOR YOU.
Aug. 16, 8:56 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Tyler, I can see you can't find any way to defend your reason, which is why you resort to personal attacks. Those who have to pay those muni meters have every right to complain about the hikes such as myself for using them. I feel that the problem with you and your group is that you tend to never see anything from our perspective, which is why there are certain areas you will always lose on such as congestion pricing. In a way, raising those rates already feels like congestion pricing when you really look at it. I do suggest reading a blog post from Queens Crap, and many of them are against it in their borough as well. On a side note, I don't use personal attacks in my rebuttals, plus I having nothing against those that want to disagree with my views, just those who have attacked that I'm against, which sort of like how I have nothing against those who root for the other, but I'm against those who have attacked my just for rooting for mine.
Aug. 16, 6:55 pm
Tyler from pps says:
Tal -
Your perspective is a man who lives in PLEASANTVILLE, NY and wants to use New York City RESIDENTIAL parking for free!

I'm not the one that needs to defend my position. YOU DON'T LIVE HERE. Thus, You Are Not A Resident. The Resident Parking is NOT for you.
Aug. 17, 10:21 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Tyler, when did I say that support residential parking permits? I clearly said that I didn't. There are two good reasons I have for opposing this. The first is that it will make it harder for those who don't have them and will force them park even further than they need to. The other one is the fear that they will be abused just like the placards in that they will think that it will give them a blank check to park wherever they please. BTW, some of the streets have state routes such as NY 27 going through Brooklyn, so I do get a say for whatever goes there since that is a state road as I do for the highways since they are either state or national. As a matter of fact, I even get a say on the MTA since they are as state agency as my tax dollars are going to them as well. Overall, I'm tired of my group always being the cash cow for any funding. Just like tolling, I have always seen metered parking as a form of double tipping in that we are told to pay to park on streets that our tax dollars for infrastructure already pay for. Just because we aren't paying for it on the spot doesn't mean that we aren't paying for it at all. Then again, anti-car fanatical groups such as Transportation Alternatives never saw an idea to screw motorists that they didn't like.
Aug. 18, 3:10 pm
Actual Resident from Brooklyn says:
Is there Pleasantvillepaper.com? I'd like to weigh in on issues up there that don't pertain to me since I live here.
Aug. 19, 10:21 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Actual Resident (who is to afraid to use his or her real name), when did I say you couldn't weigh in on Pleasantville issues? I should warn you that I weigh quite a lot, so be prepared to have your views squashed. On a side note, I am sick of being told to but out of Brooklyn affairs, as I am a tax-paying motorists who spends a lot of time in the borough. In my view, since cyclists don't pay gasoline taxes and since they usually bike without a licence, they should pay double whatever rate a motorists pays for parking. Besides, many cyclists pay little to no income taxes, so that is only fair: you get what you pay for, except us drivers pay in umpteen different ways. I represent the silent majority that is tired of all the hamasing from streetsbloggers and enablers like Tyler, and Other Mike.
Aug. 28, 11:46 am

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: