Weekend with Bernie: Sanders returns to Bklyn for first rally of his 2020 campaign

Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

Photo gallery

1/4
Sign of the times: Campaign workers handed out “Bernie” signs at the rally on Saturday.
2/4
Bern notice: Daniela Umana came out to support Bernie Sanders.
3/4
Stick a pin in it: Robert Segal came down from Prospect Heights to support Bernie at his Brooklyn College rally.
4/4
Bern’d out: From left, Megan Devir, Eliza, Gus and Columbia McCaleb cheered on Sanders.

Brooklyn’s feeling the Bern — again!

Thousands of left-leaning locals packed Brooklyn College’s East Quad on Saturday to watch borough son, Independent Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, deliver the first rally of his recently announced 2020 presidential campaign, where he ascribed his self-described democratic-socialist values to his humble Kings County roots.

“I was born a few miles away from here on E. 26th Street and Kings Highway, and my family and I lived in a three-and-a-half-room, rent-controlled apartment,” Sanders told the crowd. “My experience as a child, living in a family that struggled economically, powerfully influenced my life and my values.”

The pol, who attended Brooklyn College for a year in 1959 after graduating from James Madison High School, made a laundry list of progressive promises — including Medicare for all, a national $15 minimum wage, free enrollment at public colleges, outlawing for-profit prisons, and ending the so-called War on Drugs — to his adoring supporters, occasionally pausing as chants of “Bernie, Bernie, Bernie” erupted from the audience.

And throughout his speech, Sanders took every opportunity to distinguish his and his campaign’s values from those of the country’s sitting commander-in-chief, whom he derided as a racist, sexist, homophobe, and called “the most dangerous president in modern American history.”

“I want to welcome you to a campaign which says loudly and clearly that the underlying principals of our government will not be greed, hatred, and lies; it will not be racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, and religious bigotry; it will not be tax breaks for billionaires, and efforts to throw millions off of the health care that they currently have,” Sanders said.

Campaign staffers estimated the rally drew some 13,000 Berners, and attendees waited for hours in lines that stretched down Bedford Avenue for a chance to hear the two-time presidential hopeful speak, according to one Brooklyn College student.

“The turnout was crazy,” said Daniela Umana. “I was in shock.”

But the wait was well worth it, according to another Sanders supporter from Prospect Heights, who praised the Independent politician for largely sticking to his long-time agenda of radical social and economic reform, even as many argue he must cater to more moderate voters to claim the Democratic Party’s nomination after failing to do so in 2016.

“I was very glad that we did not see some new message coming through,” said Robert Segal. “He was spot on in 2016, and he’s been saying the same thing for 37 years. If he suddenly changed his tack in an attempt to better navigate the electoral systems, I would be really disappointed. But he didn’t.”

Sanders, who opened offices in Gowanus and Flatbush during his unsuccessful campaign for the Democratic Party line ahead of the last election, returned to Brooklyn College almost two years after delivering the school’s 2017 commencement address, when he again criticized the 45th president, and received an honorary degree from the university — roughly 58 years after he transferred from it to the University of Chicago.

Reps for his campaign could not be immediately reached about whether or not the pol again plans to open offices in Brooklyn.

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505.
Posted 12:00 am, March 5, 2019

Don’t miss our updates:

Jane from Park slope says:
Bernie why don’t you ban all cars ? We only have 10 more years left before we all die from the pollution as AOC has said. Ban cars and save the world now.
March 5, 10:38 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Poor Bernie. As a cis white male, he is now the enemy of his former supporters. No one on the left wants to hear what a white male has to say, Bernie. You are cancelled.
March 5, 11:42 am
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
Jane from Park slope, So Bernie should ban all cars because the world will come to an end in 10 years. I think it's safe to assume that you don't own a car. In the early 2,000's I worked in Park Slope for over six years and between alternate side street parking and parking meters and predatory traffic enforcers, why would you want to own a car. I recently moved to an area of the country where if you don't own a car you can't live there. What do you say to those people about cars. I'm 76 years old and about the age of nine was the first time I heard soothsayers predict the end of time is near. I don't know how old you are Jane but in the early 70 years the scientists of that time stated we were entering a new Ice Age. Wow, were they wrong. Is the planet getting warmer? Absolutely! 3000 years ago we had less than 1 billion people on this planet now we have over 7 billion and growing exponentially. You think that has something to do with global warming? You should sit back and enjoy life and feel rest assured whatever predictions are being made, someone is making money off of it. As a great philosopher once said: you'll never get out of this world alive.
March 5, 12:36 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
My tears are flowing like rain. :(
March 5, 1:33 pm
Homey from Crooklyn says:
Bernie: the only person I ever heard of who was kicked out of a hippie commune in the 60s for being lazy.
March 5, 2:59 pm
Bernie USSR says:
Did this guy ever have a real job outside of elective office? You trust a man like that?
March 5, 3:57 pm
Bernie USSR says:
I don't have a job, that's why I'm allover these comments typing word salads.
March 5, 4:09 pm
First Bernie USSR says:
The person impersonating my screen name responded to me within twelve minutes. Maybe it is you who has no job right? Next time use your limited imagination and create your own screen name. Even for you it shouldn't be too hard.
March 5, 7:24 pm
First Bernie USSR says:
Please show me evidence of Mr. Sanders employment before he was elected to office collecting a salary off the taxpayers.
March 5, 7:25 pm
First Bernie USSR says:
I don't get out much but i am obsessed with Bernie in an unhealthy way. I should get a life but, here we are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
March 5, 7:44 pm
SCR from Realityville says:
So far,the only possible Democratic party candidate,who has a chance of BEATING Donald Trump;is Texas's Beto O'rourke This is assuming O'rourke,actually decides to seek,the(2020);Democratic nomination. And he would,very likely,have to strongly distance himself,from those who demand FREE this;and FREE that. These,are clearly strong obsessions,of the upper-middle-classes. Or the Idle Rich. Who often have nothing more productive to think about than how much,they HATE Trump. Every informed humankind knows,that,any foreseeable future Democratic party President,must also win,in some RED states. This very likely includes,picking up votes in hardcore"Trumpland" Many of these people,are lucky to have a hospital,or community college;within 80,even 100-miles Or have even had a steady job,during the past decade,or so.
March 5, 9:58 pm
The Hunkster from Bed-Stuy says:
Great! Now my alma mater is a heart of Brooklyn for major political campaigns, debates, marches, protests and rallies all over the West Quad. I wish were become so civilized in this uncivilized times.
March 6, 9:19 am
Pam from PARK SLOPE says:
Old Boney Handles at it again!!
March 7, 4:11 am

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: