Slope has a new business ‘cycle’

The wheels are in motion for a new bicycle shop to open in Park Slope this spring, The Brooklyn Paper has learned.

Brooklyn Bicycles will open at the corner of Ninth Street and Sixth Avenue in May, offering yet another cycling store for residents of a neighborhood that city records suggest has the second-highest number of bike commuters in the borough.

Co-owner Tony Gallucci promises to put service first.

“From what I’ve seen in Brooklyn, a lot of rude and pretty obnoxious people work in bike shops,” said Gallucci, who has years of experience at cycling stores in Manhattan. “We want to open a place with more friendliness.”

The new shop, which will take over the 1,400-square-foot space that formerly housed a Curves gym, will carry a wide range of men’s and women’s commuter cycles, sport hybrids and road bikes that cost less than $2,500, according co-founder — and Prospect Heights resident — Henry Carter.

Brooklyn Bicycles won’t be the first retailer in the neighborhood, but Carter claims he’ll reach a distinctive niche of recreational Prospect Park riders, bike commuters, and beginning cyclists — groups he says are under-served by neighborhood bicycle stores.

“There are definitely other bike shops around, but there’s no place that fits the needs of most cyclists,” Carter said.

Not surprisingly, some Park Slope bike shop employees disagreed, and cautioned the entrepreneurs behind Brooklyn Bicycles that running a cycling shop can be harder than winning a stage in the Tour de France.

“It’s easy to open up a shop,” said Al Cabbad, a salesmen at R and A Cycles on Fifth Avenue. “but to stay open is very difficult.”

A daytime call to On the Move — the tiny Seventh Avenue bike shop closest to the planned Brooklyn Bicycles location — was picked up only by a recording device. The shop, which keeps limited hours, did not return the call.

Rivalries aside, the new shop could result in better selection for Park Slope shoppers, said Chris Dixon, of Dixon’s Bike Shop on Union Street.

“You’ll be able to get more stuff in the neighborhood instead of going online, so it’s a good thing for Park Slope at the end of the day,” he said. “If everybody has a little niche, we’re not against them.”

Jelly from park slope says:
I welcome a new bike store in the slope. I recently went to Dixon's to get a new tube for my daughter's stroller. The worker there took it out of the box and handed it to me. He then proceeded to ask, "Oh, you want me to put that on for you?" Uh yeah, that's your job!
March 27, 2009, 9:38 am
David from Boreum Hill says:
Finally. Let's hope this store is successful in its mission. I can say that most local bike stores are either high-end ala R&A (Rude & Arrogant) or low-end and only want to change tires but won't talk to you about your shifters...
March 27, 2009, 11:05 am
J from Park Slope says:
God forbid, Jelly, that you learn to change your own stroller's (!) tire -- would have saved you the labor charge. Better yet, maybe you should get a lower-maintenance stroller.

I'll be curious to see the selection at this place, and the attitude. It'll take the patience of a saint to deal with all the yentas in the neighborhood.
March 27, 2009, 3:31 pm
Brian from Crown Heights says:
"“From what I’ve seen in Brooklyn, a lot of rude and pretty obnoxious people work in bike shops”

I couldn't agree more. The people at R&A on Fifth Avenue, in particular, are RUDE and quite unhelpful. I NEVER go in there any longer! It's nice to hear there's a bike shop being opened by someone who understands the concept of customer service!
March 27, 2009, 6:57 pm
Eazy D from Sheepshead Bay says:
Too bad Gersh doesn't have a bike to fix
March 28, 2009, 3:21 am
Bob from Park Slope says:
I've been treated so rudely at R&A that I welcome any new entrant. I went in there to buy a bike for myself and my daughter and couldn't believe how nasty they were to someone so obviously ready to buy. I went out of the neighborhood to buy when I would rather have stayed local. That was five years ago, and I've never been back.

Good look Brooklyn Bicycles... I need a new bike this season!
March 28, 2009, 5:20 pm
Phil from Park Slope says:
I live around the corner from R&A. I bought a commuter hybrid from them a few years ago and was treated so badly that I vowed never to return, despite the convenience. I just bought a new road bike from Cadence, in Manhattan, as a result. Good luck to the new operators -- you have a great opportunity! I am told that R&A does most of their biz on-line, so they could give a rat's a@@ about walk-ins, especially if the walk-in "only wants to spend $1,000 or less.
March 30, 2009, 12:24 pm
SK from Park Slope says:
R&A has somehow found a way to offend every single person in Park Slope. I know someone goes in there: they have their little club of people they'll talk to, but if you aren't in the club, forget it. It's not even whether you have an expensive bike or not. You can walk in their with a $3K bike and they STILL won't deal with you unless you are in the club (and buying a $2 tire lever...).

Can't wait for the new bike store - I'm saving up all my bike repairs for when they open. On the Move is OK for what it is, but the hours are skimpy. I like Sheila - does she still own it? - but the other people there are out to lunch.
March 31, 2009, 11:36 am
Kevin from Park Slope says:
I think this part of the neighborhood already has a bike shop with friendly service. The folks at On The Move have always been helpful and friendly.
April 2, 2009, 3:46 pm
Henry from Prospect Hieghts says:
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. We can't wait to open (may 1st). If you are in the neighborhood come by and knock on the door, we are there all hours getting the space ready.
April 3, 2009, 1:37 am
SC from Park Slope says:
SK,
I never owned On The Move, just worked their for a long time. I am in the city working for Metro. Thanks for the compliment.

Sheila