Sections

UPDATE! Locked out Coney carny vows to reopen on Tuesday

for The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like The Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

The amusement park operator who was locked out by developer Joe Sitt last Friday wanted to be back in business on the old Astroland site on Tuesday, but a court shot him down.

Anthony Raffaelle, whom Sitt brought in earlier this summer to operate Dreamland Park where Astroland once stood, could not pursuade a judge to order Sitt to reopen the amusement park this week — but he said he’d try again at another hearing on Thursday.

Raffaelle admitts that he owes around $500,000 in back rent, but called Sitt’s lockout “illegal.”

He said Sitt’s henchman arrived at 2 am last Friday, without a court order, and locked up the site.

“It’s so late in the season, if they had beef with me, now is not the time,” he said.

Raffaelle admitted that he’s only paid about $30,000 in rent so far, but claimed that he’s made an undisclosed, yet large, investment in the site’s infrastructure, including electrical and plumbing work.

The lockout on Surf Avenue and West 10th Street put about a dozen rides and attractions off limits — but Sitt’s company, Thor Equities, said the shutdown was justified.

“Dreamland has been locked out because it has not come close to meeting its financial obligations in many months,” said Stefan Friedman, a spokesman for Thor Equities. “We are hopeful that Dreamland will soon pay its rent so it can quickly re-open the rides and allow Coney Islanders and visitors to continue enjoying what has been a spectacular summer so far.”

Friedman also dismissed the cost of Raffaelle’s infrastructure work because such work is required under the lease anyway.

Raffaelle has had a long behind-the-scenes presence in Coney Island. Last year, he ran Sitt’s attractions on Stillwell Avenue that closed early. This year he planned to be on the Astroland site with Ringling Bros, but when Sitt’s negotiations with Ringling broke down, Sitt made him take the whole lot, he said.

Over the weekend, he and his workers remained angry about the shutdown.

“We just showed up for work and couldn’t get in,” said Lori Vise, who worked at Dreamland. “It’s not fair for the visitors of Coney Island. We want it back open.”

And didn’t anybody think of the children?

“It’s not right to close down in the middle of the season,” said Richard Vowers of Sheepshead Bay. “It’s going to disappoint a lot of kids. My girlfriend’s son likes the helicopter ride and the train ride.”

Dreamland sits behind locked gates on what was the space-age theme park Astroland, which Sitt shut down in a lease disagreement with the land’s former owner, Carol Albert. Albert had sold the land to Sitt two years earlier, but continued to operate the amusement park on the site until last year.

Sitt still hopes to redevelop his holdings in Coney Island into a 24-7-365, Vegas-style Xanadu with rides, retail and hotels. But in the short term, he is under pressure from locals to show a commitment to the area’s long history as a playground. For the past two years, he has brought in outside carnies and ride operators, with limited success.

This year’s season got off to a rough start, with delayed openings and underwhelming attractions. The lockout of Dreamland today is yet another chapter in that saga.

How bad is it? Even Sitt’s longtime ally, Councilman Domenic Recchia (D–Coney Island) could not defend his friend.

“This is a heartless person who only cares about money,” Recchia told the Daily News on Saturday.

Updated 5:44 pm, August 26, 2009: Updated info about Raffaelle's failure to reopen.
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like The Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Reader Feedback

stoplivinginthepast from Brighton Beach says:
Coney Island sucks! CLOSE IT ALL DOWN!
Aug. 25, 2009, 11:48 am
P. Toomey from Bay Ridge/Ft. Hamilton says:
Did Raffaelle Expect to be treated any differently than others have been in the past!??A little behind in the rent,eh? Didn't he realize that Sitt is only out to make a buck & doesn't care about business practices? Sitt has operated his park & ride without permits, erected tents and other structures in the same manner.Sitt is only interested in making money no matter what.The people that want to spend a day at Coney Island be damned. As far as Brighton Beach...STAY THERE!!!! P.T.
Aug. 25, 2009, 1:50 pm
Thunderbolt Kin from Coney Island says:
In countless presentations by Lynn Kelly and her Coney Island Development Corp (CIDC) she emphasized one point over and over. That being the Coney's then current zoning of C7 (amusements only) could not properly protect the amusements.
Well she got her rezoning and less than one month after the city council voted on this, another amusement park is locked down. This new Coney rezoning didn't do much to help Dreamland.

As for councilman's Recchia remark, that is just for public show. He can say anything he wants about his pal right now and it won't make one bit of difference.
Where was Recchia's outrage when his friend Sitt evicted the batting cages, go karts and bumper boats from his Stillwell Ave property.
Where was Recchia his friend refused to negotiate a lease and later evicted the beloved Astroland Amusement Park. Where was Recchia when Sitt evicted Lola Starr for speaking out against Sitt in public.
Where was Recchia when he allowed to the city council to rezone Coney without first acquiring the land from Sitt thus increasing the value of his buddy's land tenfold.
The time for Dominic Recchia to speak out about Joe Sitt is long past.
Me thinks the councilman protests too loudly.
Aug. 25, 2009, 10:59 pm
Julius from Kensington says:
"Vegas-style Xanadu"???

You mean NJ style Xanadu don't you? And a pox on the politicians like Bloomberg, Markowitz and Recchia for being so acquiescent to the money-grubbing Sitt
Aug. 26, 2009, 2:10 pm
Joey Bots from Bandlands says:
What a sad situation. Because of these clowns Coney Island is FUBAR!!!

why was i blessed with this musical talent?
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:55 am

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.