This hot dog is $11 — but it’s worth it!

for The Brooklyn Paper

After conquering mile-long beer lists at Spuyten Duyvil and barbeque at Fette Sau, Joe Carroll decided that the next thing the intersection of Havemeyer and Metropolitan needed was organ meat, and lots of it — from calves’ heart jerky to beer-battered brain.

Owing to inevitable liquor license snafus, though, for now St. Anselm, Carroll’s newest venture, is serving only house-made sodas and a limited menu, consisting primarily of hot dogs. These hot dogs, though, do not by any means underwhelm.

On a menu that oddly takes many of its cues from New Jersey culinary tradition, the star is undoubtedly the Newark dog ($11), easily the granddaddy of every other hot dog that has ever graced the earth. Two franks are deep fried, stuffed in a giant-sized bun of “pizza bread” and topped with golden, crispy French fries and an delicious, lightly breaded peppers and onions, fried in beef tallow.

The toppings impress — and make it difficult to eat — once you finally bite into that moist, succulent hot dog, true bliss awaits. At St. Anselm, the hot dogs are specially made by Karl Ehmer — they’re a little smoky, a little spicy and fresher than you could ever imagine a hot dog to taste.

Of course, if you’re not in the mood for two whole franks topped with multiple counts of artery clogging, fried goodness, the plain hot dog ($3.50; also deep fried) is a good option.

But really, who would trade deep fried hot dog heaven for veal heart steak?

St. Anselm [355 Metropolitan Ave. at Havemeyer St. in Williamsburg, (718) 384-5054].

Hopper from Los Sures says:
I miss Black Betty
May 28, 2010, 10:24 am
Dave from Clinton Hill says:
More ironic, fatty hipster food, great!
May 28, 2010, 10:43 pm
Henriette from Williamsburg says:
@ Sweet juice -
Alterna-dogs are a joke, they make me break out in laughter.
They are ha-dogs.

ha ha!
June 1, 2010, 9:04 am
Joe Z from Willy B says:
This hot dog is as ridiculous as the hipsters that are infecting this once beautiful neighborhood and turning it into a circus. Hipsters be gone!!!
June 1, 2010, 1:10 pm
Sweet Juice from Bushwick says:
@Joe Z
look, no one complained when you and your people came and infected this neighborhood. No one told you to back to africa, so leave us alone.

And I believe that the neighborhood was ugly and poor and had no businesses before.
June 1, 2010, 1:12 pm
RBEE from Queens says:
Sorry Sweet, but your last sentence says to me that you don't know what you're talking about. Joe Z is right! I moved because that area became a circus. It was a great place to grow up and I wouldn't trade my childhood there for anything. But it's not the area I grew up in.
June 1, 2010, 2:03 pm
RBEE from Queens says:
Sorry Sweet, but your last sentence says to me that you don't know what you're talking about. Joe Z is right! I moved because that area became a circus. It was a great place to grow up in and I wouldn't trade my childhood there for anything. But it's not the same area I grew up in.
June 1, 2010, 2:06 pm
Sweet Juice from Bushwick says:
You have made me see the light, let's get rid of nice stores and all of the people and bring back terrible bodegas and no fancy hot dogs. No thanks.
June 1, 2010, 4:22 pm
RBee from Queens says:
I was born and raised there and lived there for over 30 years. I can tell you that the area always had great food. Also the bodegas are still there but they are in a different part of WillieB. But I don't know if they are terrible or not. They can keep their over priced Hot Dogs the best hot dogs were Jimmy's at Meeker and Graham aves.
June 1, 2010, 5:46 pm
Henritette from Willamsburg says:
I love Jimmy's too, but their macchachinos are a joke. i can see why you say it's a circus - expecially with the clown dostumes they make the emplyees wear. I just wish we could go back to the old days, like back in 2007 when I moved to williamsburg. back when it was so real. So street. When it was me, you and Jimmy on the corner. We had so much fun. Now there are so many clowns, and it's a circus. We have to move to queens in order to find some rest. I just don't believe it sometimes. Bring back the old days.
June 3, 2010, 10:32 am