Barclays Center concession will serve organic, gluten-free food

It really is Brooklyn’s arena.

Snack vendors at the Barclays Center plan to serve organic pumpkin seeds and gluten-free beer and hot dogs from a portable cart, says the company providing grub at the new home of the Brooklyn Nets.

The firm Levy Restaurants decided to make the new arena the only NBA stadium with an organic-and-gluten-free concession after conducting a survey that revealed a demand for foods that would fit right in on the shelves of the Park Slope Food Co-op.

Once the company had the data, it concocted a plan to feature grub that reflects the identity of the borough, said Levy Restaurants operations director Julie Margolin.

“We wanted to go a little less traditional route,” Margolin said. “We started to hear about more and more dietary needs and restrictions.”

The diet-conscious cart-on-wheels will feature a Kinnikinnick-bunned hotdog that’s gluten free ($5.95), cheesy popcorn that’s fine for folks suffering from celiac disease ($4.95), and Redbridge beer made without wheat or barley ($9) after the basketball season begins this fall.

Margolin said a growing number of people — roughly 1 in 130 — are allergic to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye products.

Levy Restaurants previously set up gluten-free carts baseball and soccer stadiums in Seattle, Chicago, and Salt Lake City — but the concession will be the first of its kind for hoops fans.

Vegan chef Neal Harden, who cooks gluten-free meals at Maimonide Of Brooklyn just a few blocks away, is happy to see the arena thinking outside the burger-box.

“It’s great — sports fans are more dynamic than people give them credit for,” said Harden, who expects his eatery will host plenty of Nets game-goers. “The branding of the arena is well thought-out and in-sync with the ‘Brooklyn hipster’ image, even down to the jerseys — so this is no surprise.”

The cart joins a number of dining options that feature gluten at the newly opened stadium, including outposts from Brooklyn eateries such as L&B Spumoni Gardens, Calexico, and Brooklyn Farmacy.

Reach reporter Natalie O'Neill at noneill@cnglocal.com or by calling her at (718) 260-4505.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Or from Yellow Hook says:
The lines will be so long!
Oct. 4, 2012, 8:23 am
JD from downtown says:
Call me when they get the Mile End Poutine cart
Oct. 4, 2012, 11:56 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
What - no shawarma? How can you attended a red -blooded
testosterone laden sporting event without shawarma!?

Will they have artisanal,cruelty free bottled wtaer as well?
Oct. 4, 2012, 12:18 pm
Skellatosis from Bk says:
Catering to the hipsters.....ugh
Oct. 4, 2012, 3:48 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I doubt this will last long. Most will probably never eat from there, and I doubt that it will be at a cheap price. For the most part, a good part of those there will have no idea what they are having. Just like the other local businesses who believe that they will get something out this, it will all be a sham and Ratner will be the one collecting all the profits.
Oct. 4, 2012, 4:31 pm
ty from pps says:
May I just say.... Tal - SHUT UP. I'm really starting to think you've never been outside.
Oct. 4, 2012, 6:15 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Actually, ty, you were describing yourself, because I was outside for most of today and yesterday as well.
Oct. 4, 2012, 6:39 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
I could do without all that stuff as long as they promise a-hole free tickets that exclude Or, SwampYankee, Pat I, Tal, and the rest of the trolls from the game. The event horizon of their negativity alone suffices to infinitely sink any chance Brooklyn will ever have of winning a title. I propose the following disclaimer on the tickets "whiny nancy boys from Bay Ridge and atavistic pockets of the rest of Brooklyn can stay the F* home, you simpering b*ches!"

Then the rest of us real men and women can enjoy the games in peace.
Oct. 4, 2012, 8:12 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I don't plan on going to an arena that was allowed to be built through eminent domain abuse and corporate welfare anyway, though I still doubt moving the Nets to Brooklyn would really change anything for them especially if it's for wining a championship when they have still yet to play a game as such.
Oct. 4, 2012, 9:52 pm
ty from pps says:
Thanks Tal. Whoo hoo! Good to know. that makes ALL of us winners!
Oct. 5, 2012, 12:25 am
Or from Yellow Hook says:
Real men.

Organic pumpkin seeds.

All on the same page!
Oct. 5, 2012, 7:33 am
Mickey Shea from Greenpoint says:
Like yah...
Oct. 5, 2012, 11:49 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Snide comments aside which I consider a hit way below the belt, another reason I wont be going to Ratner's emimen domain palace is that I don't like healthy food that doesn't taste good. Bloomberg and the rest of the health nazis are in cahoots with streetsblogger bike zealouts to try to make us all turn into health nuts and I am not having any of it. If I want to eat an entire bucket of the colonel to myself, it is nobodies buisness except my own. I am entitled to my opinion and just because I live in my mothers' basement, does not make my arguments less valid than yours, Ty, and Other Mike, and the rest of you hamasing persons.
Oct. 5, 2012, 12:52 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
Sorry to disappoint Scott but I don't live in South Brooklyn. Think North Brooklyn, single family with a garage, perhaps stone, maybe brown. No mortgage. Family is here for many generations. Sorry to disappoint Scott, but some of us live in the places you can't afford. And yes, we look down on you. Enjoy paying that rent hipster
Oct. 5, 2012, 1:09 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Do you think there won't be any junk food sold at the arena? That how you read this article? No wonder your basic understanding of the world is so... well... wrong. You can't even read 300 words and get it right.
Oct. 5, 2012, 2:08 pm
ty from pps says:
By the way, Tal. Yes it does.

Oct. 5, 2012, 2:09 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Sorry ty, but your impersonation just doesn't work. Personally, I find gluten-free food to be overrated. Shouldn't sporting events be one of those where you don't have to worry about what you eat. Besides, most won't eat unhealthy food at these events especially if they can't afford it seeing how some of these are priced there. Most sports fans aren't that slim, and they would rather have real food than what is mentioned in the article. Whatever happened to just not eating what you don't like. Truthfully, obesity is not limited to one particular food or drink, which is what Bloomberg believes, and getting rid of that said food or drink isn't going to make it just go away in a short time.
Oct. 5, 2012, 6:22 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Did they give East Coast Italians estrogen shots when they got off the boat? Did the officials at Ellis Island only agree to admit them to our shores if they agreed to be atavistic ninnies for all of eternity?

Of the top 1000 things that Men consider threatening, hipsters don't even rank. So what does it mean that SwampYankee, Or, and their ilk go on and on and on about them at every opportunity? Do they secretly want to wear skinny jeans too? Or are they unnerved by the hipsters' superior beard-growing abilities?

I can't figure it out. I'm fascinated. I'm not a hipster by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not threatened by them in the least. If they start businesses and build our economy, then good for them. I don't care to hang out with them, because they're not my crowd. But I'm glad that they have driven the demand for better food & services, because I like better food & services too.

But the effeminate squealing that comes from the usual suspects like SwampYankee baffles me, because I cannot track how I could possibly share ancestry with such an absurd group that wets its panties anytime hipsters are mentioned.
Oct. 6, 2012, 7:17 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Tal, for once I actually agree with you. Nobody should be forced to eat vegan, gluten-free food. Especially when they're at a basketball game that they laid out serious cash to attend. Everybody should have the right to eat extravagantly then. But if you're going to bust your diet at a game, why not do it in style? Everybody has french fries and hot dogs and hamburgers, but who has honest-to-goodness Harold's Fried Chicken? If you're going to go whole hog, go whole hog. Be glorious.
Oct. 6, 2012, 7:25 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I don't get any of the vegan or gluten free food myself. It's just so confusing. I would rather eat something that I know rather than something I have no idea about. I don't consider myself some kind of weirdo for eating something like that, I don't mean to offend anyone who will actually eat that food, because I know that there are those who do like it, and I am just stating my opinion here. Of course, some think that as long as we sports fans have our beer, chips, dip, and out HDTV, we couldn't care less, but in reality, we do.
Oct. 7, 2012, 12:39 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
wrong again Scott. Not a shred of Italian in me. Family is here since before the Revolution, the original one. English and German if you must (didn't say we fought on the winning side in the Revolution). Certainly not threated by hipsters, I just hate them. I hate what they did to Northern Brooklyn. I hate dodging bicycles, I hate their music, I hate their ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART which isn't art at all, I hate their woolly hats and scarves in July, i hate that they have run valuable small business out of the neighborhood for yet another coffee shop, i hate that they have run the ethnic diversity out of the neighborhood, I hate that yet another ——ty resteraunt opened in the same place that the last ——ty 5 have closed in the last 2 years and I hate that they want to turn Brooklyn into the white bread Disnelyland that their culdesac was in Ohio. Oh, and I hate you for letting it happen
Oct. 7, 2012, 2:25 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
That couldn't have been me posting on October 7th b/c I was busy all day with my twin tower advocacy. I wish Ty and his aliases would stop imposturizing me on this website. Again, I have stated my claim, and things such as Article 23 of the FEIS, on the claim that rebuilding the Twins is still an active option on the table, and Women's Baskettball Online, for WNBA attendance figures, are not things that I just came up with one day let alone write those myself, these are figures that support my claim unlike others who just repeat what they already mentioned or act very defensive. Their result is that if they can't disproove me, they demand that my statements be censored, and threaten a ban if I try to appeal my case. As for some streetsbloggers like Ty, he slammed my with the most offesnive replies that I won't reapeat, and called me a conspirator despite the fact that I have prooven my claim with actual facts. Maybe he goes by that name b/c he is known to explode when he gets mad, which is what happens to hydrogen gas when exposed to fire. Another forumer that wasn't very respecting was Other Michael who is known for making a policy that all arguments must only be from those living in Brooklyn, and he had deleted posts and locked threads that didn't adhere to that pointless rule that created the artificial barrier on valid arguments from outsiders. I did hear that Ty hasn't been posting on Streetsblogger since the section was taken when he was the mod of that section, which I found similar to how Adolph Hitler to became the next chancellor of Germany. There are even other fourmers on streetsblogger and brooklynpaper who are very defensive when it comes to bike lane projects and defend them like exterme nationalist. I tend to think of them as if they were pointing a gun in that they want us to think like them or get shot instead.
Oct. 19, 2012, 1:01 pm
david from brooklyn says:
bed stuy grill at barclays makes best burgers is there a location or web site they have
ty levy