Traffic calming on Broadway in Brooklyn

Trading parking spots for potted plants

Dancing in the streets: The city is planning to turn part of this roadway on Broadway just west of Bedford Avenue into a pedestrian plaza similar to those in Times Square and Herald Square.

Some South Williamsburg residents are wary about a new pedestrian plaza the city plans for Broadway, saying it will make an already-hectic stretch of road even worse.

The city is planning the plaza along the stretch of Broadway just east of Bedford Avenue. It would turn part of the street into a triangular park area with chairs, benches and potted plants. The plaza would be named after George B. Post, the architect of the nearby Williamsburg Savings Bank, which is now being renovated into a hotel.

“It’s a very busy street and we already have backed up traffic because of all the deliveries and trucks and buses and trailers,” said Maria Fontanez, who works at Peter Luger, which is on the same corner. “I could see accidents happening.”

If the plaza goes through, it will not only take part of the street, but also nix seven parking spaces in an area where every space is prime real estate.

The city has reclaimed street space for a handful of pedestrian plazas in Brooklyn in the past couple of years, including Albee Square in downtown, Fowler Square in Fort Greene and Pearl Street in DUMBO. Some of those plazas, such as Fowler Square, brought the ire of drivers who complained that the pedestrian area would make driving a nightmare. Now, people who frequent the west end of Broadway are making the same predictions.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea and I don’t see the demand for it,” said Community Board 1 member Simon Weiser. “The street has come a long way. We should leave it like it is.”

Not everyone is opposed to the plaza. Juan Martinez, general counsel of Transportation Alternatives, said he believed that the strip will not only make the area safer for pedestrians and bicyclists, but that it will be better for business.

“When you make a space better for pedestrians, they come in greater numbers, shop more frequently and spend more money,” he said.

The city will present the plans to the community board next month.

Reach reporter Danielle Furfaro at dfurfaro@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2511. Follow her at twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

tomahawk from williamsburg says:
this section of Broadway between Robleing st and Kent ave was never rebuilt vs the rest of Broadway , new sewers, sidewalks, remove the old roadway surface.

I'm guessing there going to put up the plaza then decided oh we have redo it again money can be better spent on other projects

If u going do it do it right please
Jan. 25, 2013, 10:53 am
Mike says:
People have said this about other plazas, and they've always been 100% wrong. Time to stop listening to these NIMBYs.
Jan. 25, 2013, 12:36 pm
Felice from 11211 says:
I really hate these pedestrian plazas. They are a poor use of public space and seldom even used. I can't wait until Bloomberg and Sadik Con are gone and the city can start undoing the damage they have done to our city streets with their silly, twee, backwards plans. Hopefully our next Mayor will not listen to Transportation Alternatives, and they can fade back into to the bunch of self righteous, misinformed, militants they were before this administration actually started taking them somewhat seriously.
Jan. 25, 2013, 1:24 pm
Felicidad from 11211 says:
I really love these pedestrian plazas. They are a great use of public space and often used. I wish Bloomberg and Sadik Khan could stay to keep undoing the damage generations of their predecessors have done to our city streets with their silly, dangerous, backwards plans. Hopefully our next Mayor will continue to listen to Transportation Alternatives and the majority of New Yorkers who do not own a car.
Jan. 25, 2013, 1:55 pm
DG from Bklyn says:

Maybe there's no demand for it because the street is so darn uninviting. It's like saying no one wants to sunbathe on a beach made from broken glass.

Make the street inviting and the demand that has always been there will finally show itself. As has been proven in neighborhood after neighborhood, this is good for local businesses.
Jan. 25, 2013, 2:04 pm
Chris Mcnally from Crown Heights says:
I agree with DG.

When I first looked at it I thought, who would want to sit down there? What an ugly piece of street. I go there to shop at Brooklyn Industries and at Marlowe and Daughters. It's not as bustling as the rest of Williamsburg I think it is due to a lack of pedestrians.

Pedestrians will walk where the streetscape is interesting and inviting. This will make the street more inviting and give people a place to meet and linger.

The parking in that area should be all time limited meters if it is not already, so there will be plenty of short term parking. It's the residents storing their cars on the commercial strips that keep drivers from stopping to shop. They will more likely stop if they see a space, and there will be more spaces available when they cost money.
Jan. 25, 2013, 2:30 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
How about starting with the pedestrian areas that already exist like the parks before thinking of a new one? I am glad to hear in the article from those who are opposing it, and they are right to say that. With what is going on, the streets will be needed for vehicular traffic more than ever. Keep in mind that high density areas are known for getting a lot of traffic, so the demand does exist. Let's not forget how it can affect the buses that go on this street as well. Better yet, they should fix the Williamsburg Bridge and Washington Plaza that is already there. As for the pedestrian plaza at both Times and Herald Squares, they actually did bad, but Bloomberg and JSK fudged that data only to make them look good. In reality, they relocated the traffic to surrounding avenues and only made them worse not to forget getting rid of several bus lines that ran down there due to creating more traffic there. I hope that many will speak up and stop this pet project.
Jan. 25, 2013, 4:22 pm
adamben from bedstuy says:
it makes sense in heavy pedestrian trafficked places but this will just cause more traffic snarling and kill those businesses there that are hanging on by a thread. i for one will have to stop shopping at marlowe and dauthters and forget that brooklyn specialty shop across from it on broadway which seems to need every customer as well. i guess they can open a starbucks and make all the peds happy.
Jan. 25, 2013, 4:28 pm
Other Michhael from Park Slope says:
Some driver and Tal will complain when ever any paved space is used for anything but double parking. But just from the photo above there looks like the driving lanes can be realigned without causing traffic.
Jan. 25, 2013, 4:56 pm
PR from Williamsburg says:
In the early nineties Transportation Alternatives used to block the parking space in front of their St Marks office with lumber and trash-cans to keep the cars from parking there. It got physical a few times when drivers tried to remove them and park. They eventually stopped. This is more of the same. Putting people in the middle of an intersection to hang out on Target furniture is passive aggressive marketing of the anti-car bike culture of pushy noobies.
Jan. 25, 2013, 5:23 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Can the anti-car crowd please explain what will happen to the two buses that run on where the plaza is proposed will go after this comes?
Jan. 25, 2013, 7:14 pm
ty from pps says:
Listen to all of these whiny idiots...
Jan. 25, 2013, 7:43 pm
ty from pps says:
Hey Tal, PR, Adamben, et al. -- Why don't you go to the Community Board meeting where the DOT will be presenting the plan? Oh right, you won't. You'll just whine. Then when only good things emerge from this plaza, you won't say anything. But then you'll pipe back up when another plaza or any traffic adjustment is proposed... Rinse and repeat. Very tiresome.
Jan. 25, 2013, 7:45 pm
ty from pps says:
And, Tal, I'm sure the folks in Williamsburg would LOVE to hear your Pleasantville opinion at their neighborhood meetings!
Jan. 25, 2013, 7:46 pm
Or from Yellow Hook says:
The Romans built roads and civilization spread far and wide.

Mayor for Life put picnic tables in the road and thought he saved the world.
Jan. 25, 2013, 8:33 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
If I knew when and where they are holding it, I wouldn't mind going, but there could be days I couldn't go because of errands that will prevent me from doing such. It would be nice to knock some sense into those who only think that their idea is only right idea. BTW, the opposition to this is already homegrown especially when only a member of that fanatical group known as Transportation Alternatives seems to support while everyone else, including a community board member, is opposed. Knowing Bloomberg and JSK, they can always find ways to get around it even if things don't go their. It's not as if you go to anything yourself, ty. Who is being the armchair activist now? For the record, I have been to numerous hearings on events that have brought interest to me such as WTC site, AY, congestion pricing, and so many others in the past, so I do attend such meetings unlike you.
Jan. 25, 2013, 9:01 pm
Shirley from Williamsburg says:
Every prediction about all of the other plazas in the city failed to materialize:

- They'd attract vagrants, drug users, and the homeless.
- They'd be noisy and disturb residents...
- ...or they'd be empty and no one would use them.
- They'd kill local businesses.
- They'd snarl traffic.

Not a single one came true. Fowler Square, Putnam Triangle and many more met fierce opposition from a few people who predicted doom and gloom. Guess what? None of the above happened. All have been wonderful!

Tal, please come to the community board meeting!
Jan. 25, 2013, 10:04 pm
Hey Tal... Community Board 1

Public Hearings and Board Meetings are usually held on the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 PM, unless otherwise indicated. All meetings are generally held at the Swinging 60's Senior Center, 211 Ainslie Street, Brooklyn, NY 11211 (Corner of Manhattan Avenue). For information regarding this press release please contact District Manager Mr. Esposito at 1-718-389-0009. See our website for additional information: www.nyc.gov/brooklyncb1

(I'm pretty sure Pleasantville is in that CB district....)
Jan. 25, 2013, 11:56 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
Tal, both of the buses will run to the corner if the plaza and turn the corner. The design even incorporates additional space for the buses that make the turn. It's a total detour of about 20 feet. If that's your biggest concern about the plaza, it's time to get over yourself.
Jan. 26, 2013, 1:51 am
Hugo Furst from Bay Ridge says:
I thought Potted Plants were the newcomers who moved there!

Potted Plants are a great place to dart out from behind into traffic while texting!
Jan. 26, 2013, 9:27 am
Rob from Greenpoint says:
This is a great idea. Let's do it.
Jan. 26, 2013, 11:58 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I can probably make that date since I am usually free on Tuesday nights anyway. When it comes to these pedestrian plazas, it's not just one area, it's the whole city. Also, where does the city have money for this when they couldn't help with public schools, hospitals, firehouses, senior centers, parks, or even affordable housing when they have so much money for this? For those that think that the opposition is overstating their concerns, all of what Shirley said is what becomes long term, while supporters have the tendency to think only short term. How about fixing the plaza that is already there and not too far away from where this one is proposed before even thinking of new one? What about the nearby parks and fixing them as well? How can the city spend so much money to create new public space, but ignore much of the ones that are already there now? As for the buses, I find it a bad idea for them to be forced to go on streets that are not suitable for them causing them to be in traffic because of the blocked off route.
Jan. 26, 2013, 6:02 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal, o' Tal. Again, your last comment was just full of dumb.
Jan. 27, 2013, 10:52 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I take it ty won't be showing up, because he will be too busy making his chicken costume to show what he really is when it comes to speaking up as will the other anti-car fanatics will.
Jan. 27, 2013, 11:57 am
ty from pps says:
Tal, this isn't my neighborhood... it is primarily an issue that impacts local residents and businesses. And since this project will cost the city almost nothing, it's hardly a city-wide concern. But apparently, it *is* big enough of a concern that someone from Pleasantville to make his voice heard!! I hope you do go to this meeting, Tal. Like I said, I'm sure the folks in Williamsburg will love to hear the opinion of someone that lives 50 miles away.

You should *definitely* makes sure to say dumb things like "it a bad idea for [buses] to be forced to go on streets that are not suitable for them" -- ya know, when that's not happening.
Jan. 27, 2013, 1:56 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
The difference between you and me, ty, is that I am not afraid to show myself, while you just hide behind your computer. Many do find pedestrian plazas outside the close minded websites such as Streetsblog and Transportation Alternatives to be a waste of money and space. Reading the article, it looks like I won't be alone on opposing the plaza. As a matter of fact, I did get recommended a lot on the City Room for what I had to say on the plaza over at Times Square especially when it forced numerous buses that usually ran on Broadway to relocated to 7th Avenue and eventually be stopped due to causing congestion there, and even there, they agreed with me that it was a waste of money. So much for consensus on this.
Jan. 27, 2013, 3:08 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Do you mean the Times Square pedestrian plaza that is *always* full of thousands of people... people going to work, shopping, walking, talking, having lunch, etc. etc. etc. Generally enjoying New York. That plaza?

Here's the Manhattan Bus Map.

Seriously disruption of service now that buses don't go down Broadway for 5 blocks, eh? Man o' man.

I can't help notice that it's been 3 years and all of the horror stories you always seem to mention never happened... traffic has actually been shown to flow better in that section of the city because the complicated intersections caused by the diagonal Broadway have been removed. Oh, right... but all of the numbers are a lie. I forgot.

I guess you were right about all of the businesses shutting down because folks couldn't drive there... Times Square is a complete ghost town -- other than the thousands and thousands and thousands of people there. It's weird how any of these businesses can function, how do they get deliveries?! (Wasn't that one of the usual dumb arguments?)

Who thinks the Times Square Plaza is a waste of money? The people that use it every day? The tourists? The businesses (including restaurants) with increased foot traffic?

Oh, you mean a few whiny people like you... not the VAST MAJORITY of people in the city.

Look, Tal. Folks don't like change. You are CLEARLY someone who thinks change is the scariest thing in the whole wide world (scary like your mom telling you that you have to move out of the basement). But change happens and it's oftentimes a *good* thing. You know all of those taxi drivers that whine about, well, everything... Thousands of taxi drivers work in Midtown everyday. I bet they barely even notice the pedestrian plaza in Times Square anymore... Newer drivers don't know any different. Voilà!
Jan. 27, 2013, 5:48 pm
ty from pps says:
How did Fowler Square in Fort Greene work out, Tal?

Do you know where that is? What sort of horror did it create for everyone?
Jan. 27, 2013, 6 pm
beezy from ft. greene says:
Who's complaining about Fowler Square now? Those 8-10 people who have had their commute lengthed by 15-25 seconds a day may still gripe, but it's nothing compared to the number of people who used the plaza throughout the summer.
Jan. 28, 2013, 9:41 am
Billy from Burg says:
This Tal Barzilai is a brilliant fake account! Hilarious!!!
Jan. 28, 2013, 10:46 am
Jesse from Wburg says:
Don't you know, people? The streets are not for the residents who live there. They are for the people who drive through.
Jan. 28, 2013, 11:22 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I am as real as you are Billy, though you sound more fake.
Jan. 28, 2013, 12:09 pm
Rosenberg from Wmbg says:
I think this makes some sense. If we can do something to attract more people, it will be better for my business. In other plazas, there always are lots of people. Changing neighborhood, indeed.
Jan. 28, 2013, 12:56 pm
ty from pps says:
So, Real Tal Barzilai... no reaction to my comments directed toward you?
Jan. 28, 2013, 1:31 pm
Angus from WB says:
...how many of you nay-sayers actually live in the area...? Pleasantville is a bit out of the way... I wonder which QoL projects I can quash up there so I can drive my car faster through town...
Jan. 28, 2013, 1:53 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I just feel that in the long run, pedestrian plazas are a bad idea. At the beginning, they seem to be popular, but they start dropping down months later. Some only get used when the weather is good otherwise they are seen as a waste of space. I have seen the one in Times Square recently, and it's not as heavily used as it was a while back. If money must be spent on such, then it has to be used constantly, not sporadically. If public space is really that important, than start with what's already there before placing any new ones. Seriously, I don't feel that tourism should be a first priority, and locals should always come first. I do prefer the parts of the city where tourists don't come to, because it will give it a more local feel rather than be Anywheretown, USA. As for saying that I can't come for not living there, this will probably be posted on Streetsblog, and they will encourage everyone there to go even if they don't live there as they do on other community board meetings, so there I tend to see a double standard here. Then again, it's only okay to bring in a flash mob who goes with you rather than against you, though I still believe that the opposition is very homegrown. BTW, how about finding why those mentioned in the article are against the plaza, not how they are against it, because then you will probably know the reason for their position on the issue>
Jan. 28, 2013, 2:07 pm
ty from pps says:
Hey Tal -- Looks like Rosenberg above is a local business owner and is looking forward to the positive impact this plaza will have on his/her business... I wonder why the Brooklyn Paper only published negative comments and *chose* to portray Transportation Alternatives as the only supporter? Hmmm?

Can I guess? It's because this paper caters to whiny idiots like you, Tal.
Jan. 28, 2013, 2:16 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Another thing that the biased anti-car fanatics keep forgetting is that density is a direct proportion with traffic. The higher the density, the more the traffic. In other words, roads will be need to help move them around rather than less. There have been numerous studies proving this statement to be true. Then again, I won't be surprised if Bloomberg wants this just so that he can promote congestion pricing just by creating the very congestion itself, because that's the Bloomberg way of getting something you personally want.
Jan. 28, 2013, 5:35 pm
Ryan Lee from Greenpoint says:
The ty and Tal exchange is better than the article.
Have you guys made any other appearances? Do you do parties?

...er, I think this is the perfect place for a pedestrian plaza. Such a great neighborhood.
Jan. 28, 2013, 6:14 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
It must be so nice that the Streetsbloggers are making cheap shots at me just to show how cowardly they are. According to Michael Moore, they are nothing but whacko attackos. Keep in mind that the primary reason for why this opposition to this plaza is because of the fact that those interviewed have said that the street as already bad as it is. Traffic doesn't just magically disappear, it just gets relocated somewhere else, which was the case for when the pedestrian plaza came to Times Square.

Jan. 28, 2013, 6:28 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- It's amazing. You have yet to demonstrate that you have any clue whatsoever about the BASICS of traffic science and engineering... but you keep claiming you do. It's awesome.

(And Tal, those are hardly "cheap shots" on the Streetsblog website -- fairly accurate descriptions.)
Jan. 28, 2013, 7:20 pm
ty ty ty from ssp says:
ty, what would happen if you picked a month, let's say february, and stopped responding to "tal"? what do you think would happen?
Jan. 28, 2013, 8:21 pm
Tom from Prospect Heights says:
Hey, dude from Pleasantville, go "improve" your own backyard.
Jan. 29, 2013, 12:05 am
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal actually said "The higher the density, the more the traffic. "

WHAT!?

High density means you can walk to work
High density means you can walk to school
High density means you can walk to shopping
High density means that you can use mass transit.
High density means that you can live without a car.

NO, TAL! The more suburban sprawl, the more traffic
Jan. 29, 2013, 5:39 am
Chris from Bushwick says:
Tal, please cite ONE of those "numerous studies" that demonstrates your point in the context of New York City, where density is possible because of efficient mass transit.

Of course, if you want to play that game, I can cite numerous studies that show these pedestrian plazas are successful in driving business, creating stronger communities, and in some cases even improving traffic flow.

Then you'll refute the numbers simply because of your whackjob conspiracy theories about the DOT. And then you'll ramble on and on about how the numbers don't take into account factors that are completely irrelevant to measurement, and how they don't apply to whatever you're talking about. Then you'll pull "facts" out of thin air without a shred of actual evidence. And you'll do this all without a single paragraph break.

We know how you operate by now, you kook. Go away.
Jan. 29, 2013, 9:50 am
Sarah from Blissville says:
Broken windows theory public works creations. You either believe the theory or you don't. I don't.
Jan. 29, 2013, 9:57 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I take it some have never heard of supply and demand. The more the people, the more the demand for resources. Where does their resources come from, because I doubt that much of them are nearby? Most of them are delivered, and many do NOT use mass transit for this, they use either trucks, vans, or even cars, because they will carry them more efficiently, which is what will be the case for that area. Chris, explain where you came up with your statements and you claim that they are true? Do you work closely with JSK and Bloomberg? Even with mass transit being available, placing high density development will actually cause what I like to call the Supersaturation Effect in which you will be trying to squeeze more people into a place that already can't hold past its current capacity, and I know the subways are already in that shape right now, so development around them when not prepared will just make them get worse like the AY complex assuming the rest ever does get built. Getting to the point, those that were interviewed and opposed it were those that are actually seeing this place on a daily basis, so they know what is going there constantly unlike those who claim they know it better. For the record, I don't hate public places, because I am all for fixing the public spaces that are already there such as the parks, ball fields, and playgrounds that are in that area, so enough with the black and white claims.
Jan. 29, 2013, 7:05 pm
EK from 11249 says:
JSK, Bloomberg, & Trans Alt = pro gentrification, pro hipster/yuppy commercialization and consumerism for a NYC where too much is never enough.
Jan. 29, 2013, 8:28 pm
ty from pps says:
Seriously, Tal. Do you honestly think that solid block of rambling text is readable?! Learn to take a breath and think about what you are typing...

You wrote 258 words and covered, what, 15 topics?

I know it's hard living in your mom's basement and the doctor doesn't give you enough medicine, but if you try really hard you could probably post a coherent comment that other humans can read.
Jan. 29, 2013, 11:20 pm
ty from pps says:
Oh yeah... one other thing...

"so enough with the black and white claims"

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Did you, Tal Barzilai, actually say that?! No irony?
Jan. 29, 2013, 11:22 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I take it you are not a nerdy leftist, ty. They can easily understand this. I do more than just give something off of a bumper sticker. I did go onto Google yesterday and found an interesting story of how high density does cause heavy traffic for a city such as Portland (the one in OR, not ME), and this is despite having a lot of transportation, and the entire claim on saying that high density not causing more traffic was debunked. Even if it doesn't had more vehicles into the area, it can still cause a strain on mass transit especially if not prepared for it. Just imagine if congestion pricing was passed here in NYC, it would cause overcrowding on the subways and buses especially for those who are switching just to avoid paying that regressive tax. As for pedestrian plazas, if they are really that successful as Bloomberg and JSK make them to be, then why not conduct an independent study on them? They shouldn't be afraid to allow for that if it will go in their favor, so I am getting suspicious on their reaction. Better yet, try closing up where the plaza would go to see what it will be like before putting an actual one there, and we will see if it really should go there.
Jan. 30, 2013, 3:21 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
Tal, you made a claim of "numerous studies" and did not provide me with one, just as I expected.

As for my claims:
- The increase in business (and rents due to pedestrian plazas) was indicated by Cushman & Wakefield data in Times Square: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/realestate/commercial/27retail.html
- The Times Square plazas actually improved traffic flow, according to Taxi GPS data: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/about/broadway.shtml
- And while "stronger communities" is an intangible, here's an example of a community coming together, settling differences to create an organization to make use of a plaza in Queens: http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2012/33/plazareconciled_at_2012_08_16_q.html

So, there you go. I provided evidence. Now please show me the data to back up your hilarious "Supersaturation Effect." Which still has absolutely nothing to do with closing off 60 feet of excess pavement in Williamsburg.
Jan. 30, 2013, 3:58 pm
Tal --

"They shouldn't be afraid to allow for that if it will go in their favor, so I am getting suspicious on their reaction."

Who do you think is preventing an "independent study" of pedestrian plazas or ANYTHING for that matter? Do you mean an independent study that the City pays for?

Umm... no. We have a government agency called the DOT to do this stuff. We already pay them. Just because whackadoos like you think the DOT is a big conspiracy doesn't mean the rest of us have a problem with the data they produce.
Jan. 30, 2013, 6:20 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

You really should visit these places you care so much about.
Jan. 30, 2013, 6:20 pm
ty from pps says:
Oh, yeah... And Tal, why don't you ever SHARE this information with the rest of us? Since you have a habit of misrepresenting and misinterpreting even the simplest of news stories -- Why do you think we should believe you when you talk about what you read on the internet?

"I was on Google and read..." Awesome, I was on Google and read how monsters live under the Manhattan Bridge. They're probably different than the ones under your bed.
Jan. 30, 2013, 6:22 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
You guys want a source on how high density equals higher traffic, here it is, and this article is pretty recent when I checked, plus it even gives charts and tables to back it.

Jan. 30, 2013, 8:50 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- So your argument is to build more and bigger roads... invite for traffic into the city... make more parking... and your usual reaction to every measure to replace cars with an alternative... Are you this dumb?

If I actually thought you had even the foggiest sense of what that data is saying and what this author is arguing, I might engage you properly. But just throwing up a link and saying "density equals higher traffic" doesn't convince me that you are any less ignorant.

Have a nice day. You should be happy you live in low-density Pleasantville and never have to come to this hell hole of pollution... but PLEASE PLEASE keep telling us how we should do things in our city. Greatly appreciated.
Jan. 30, 2013, 10:01 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
Wendell Cox! Classic, Tal! I'm rolling on the floor laughing. So you complain about the bias of DOT data, then you provide a source that regularly lobbies for the highway, oil, and gas industries?
Jan. 31, 2013, 4:31 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Chris, I can point out many lobbyists on your side as well, so quit being selective. Doesn't groups such as Streetsblog and Transportation Alternatives have lobbyists as well especially those personally paid by either Mark Gorton or Paul Steely White? In reality, there are lobbyists on all sides, not just the ones you hate. The only reason I have called the DOT biased, is because they have a history of fudging data, and I have read from many blog sites that make such a claim. Again, those that were interviewed see that intersection on a daily basis, so they know what goes on there unlike those who I know that are anti-car. Next, you will probably provide a link from that anti-car fanatic known as Cap'n Transit, who goes on record for hating cars and wishes that they never existed. You tend to be hiding something whenever you refuse to answer my questions especially on improving the public spaces that already exist such as parks when they always seem to have the money to make new ones. I am still waiting for that. On a side note, before anyone claims that I have never been there, I have been to numerous places around the city in the past and present, so I do know about them, and it does NOT take a special insider to know what seems like a boondoggle.
Jan. 31, 2013, 10:11 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal said "it does NOT take a special insider to know what seems like a boondoggle."

but it does take someone who has actually seen the thing he is criticizing to call it a boondoggle.
Feb. 1, 2013, 12:15 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
It's unfortunate that the website that was against the transitway on 34th Street is no longer up, because they gave a good example of pedestrian plazas that were found to be failures and had to be given back to the streets.
Feb. 1, 2013, 2:46 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
Tal, it's a shame that you'll never walk on this pedestrian plaza or even come within a mile of it on foot. Because maybe then we'd give a damn what you think.
Feb. 1, 2013, 5:17 pm
ty from pps says:
Hey guys... We all know that Tal doesn't have a clue what a Boondoggle is, right?
Feb. 1, 2013, 5:38 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Here is the link for those who really don't know what a boondoggle is, because I do.

Feb. 1, 2013, 6:32 pm
Other Michale from Park Slope says:
Tal

I am up early, just to give you a reason to tell me not to be.
Feb. 2, 2013, 4:22 am
Tal - I didn't know you were a boy scout? :-p
Feb. 2, 2013, 9:53 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
That wasn't me posting at 6:32, but I have my suspects. I know the streetsblogger zealouts will vehamently dissagree but they should just tear up the sidewalks on this part of town and add vehicular lanes so thtat the taxpaying motorist majority can get to work in a decent amount of time. Jaywalkers and ne'er do well bikers never pay their fare share, so why should we continue to subsidize them, especially since they are always so ungrateful? On a side note, I do know what a Boondoggle is, but you can't debunk the undebunkable.
Feb. 27, 2013, 5:03 pm
Jonny from south williamsburg says:
I live on the block, been here for 5 years, I own a few shops/restaurants on the block. This plaza will be great! Beneficial for residents and for business's in the neighborhood. I can't wait! wooohooo!!
April 20, 2013, 1:21 pm