A pilot traffic calming program has not necessarily decreased speeding in the brownstone neighborhood

NEXT TUESDAY

Meeting to discuss possible failure of Boerum Hill slow zone

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Boerum Hill intersections are still dangerous enough that it merits a public hearing a year and a half after the city lowered the speed limit throughout the brownstone enclave.

Councilman Steve Levin (D—Boerum Hill) is inviting local groups such as the Boerum Hill Association and the Forth on Fourth Avenue committee of the Park Slope Civic Council to a forum on Feb. 4 to discuss fears that drivers are not abiding by the 20-mile-per-hour speed limit in place throughout the so-called “slow zone” bounded by Smith Street and Union, Third, and Atlantic avenues, according to an activist.

“There is a question of how effective it is,” said Park Slope Civic Council member and Boerum Hill resident Grace Freedman. “Some people do not even seem to know about it, so there needs to be more education or better signage.”

The car squeeze, which includes blue signs announcing the special designation and speed humps, was enacted in 2012 to stop drivers from using the brownstone as a fast track to East River bridges. The city has yet to release speed and crash data on the borough’s first death-machine-diluting program.

Freedman said she wants to see police at the 84th Precinct take a lesson from Park Slope cops and dispatch undercover officers to catch drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians between Fourth Avenue and Court Street. Councilman Levin has vowed to keep working with the Boerum Hill fuzz, according to the pol’s spokesman Matt Ojala.

“Enforcement is a central component of street safety,” he said.

Locals will break into groups and throw out their own ideas at the meeting inspired by the Park Slope Street Safety Partnership, which has applauded Mayor DeBlasio’s “Vision Zero” plan to bring citywide traffic deaths down to zero by 2024.

“People said, ‘Why can’t we do the same thing here in Boerum Hill?’ ” Ojala said. “People feel empowered, and now is the time for action on street safety.”

Boerum Hill Street Safety Forum at the Belarusan Autocephalic Orthodox Church (401 Atlantic Avenue at Bond Street in Boerum Hill). Feb. 4, 6:30-8:30 pm.

Reach reporter Megan Riesz at mriesz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505. Follow her on Twitter @meganriesz.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

p from boerum hill says:
as long as those doubledecker tourist buses (and other large vehicles) are allowed to go down nevins street, i fear this will never be enforced. those buses are way too big for this street, they go way too fast, and they have nearly run me down several times. also, a driver chucked a drink out the window and nearly hit me with it just last week.
Jan. 30, 2014, 10:45 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I think a better idea would be to end this plan rather than to amend especially since it shows that traffic calming is nothing more than a pet project and PR movement.
Jan. 30, 2014, 4:18 pm
oy from vey says:
Tal Barzilai, ladies and gentlemen.
Jan. 30, 2014, 4:42 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I take it that the anti-car fanatics don't know how to discuss the actual issue, which is why they resort to making personal attacks at anyone who doesn't share their views as a way of downplaying them just to get their way when they can't find anything to debate with or happen to be caught between a rock and a hard place.
Jan. 30, 2014, 7:02 pm
Rob from Greenpoint says:
Slow zones are great, but must be matched by the precincts stepping up and showing leadership. We need a massive crackdown on rogue drivers and their illegal, dangerous behavior.
Jan. 30, 2014, 7:37 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I will only support this if the same goes for cyclists of similar behavior especially when they are placing themselves into harm's way by act as such.
Jan. 30, 2014, 8:15 pm
Park Slope Driver from Park Slope says:
Car deaths are tragic. I don't know statistics, but from my experience as a driver, I think all factions need to be educated and obey rules. Pedestrians and cyclists are often reckless, and I believe most drivers do their best on crowded city streets to be aware of everything that is going on--which is a lot. I'm not saying there are not some reckless drivers out there, but I don't think they are the majority. I have actually seen more reckless pedestrians and cyclists who apparently think: I have the right of way, therefore I don't even have to look when I cross the street. No! Everyone who uses the city has to 'drive' 'walk' or 'cycle' defensively. Everyone on the street has to participate in safety and courtesy on the 'road,' whichever part of it you are using.
Jan. 31, 2014, 9:46 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
According to Bill Bratton, who was recently appointed as the police commissioner of the NYPD under de Blasio, he mentioned that 73% of pedestrian accidents have occurred when they jaywalk, and that was a big number last time I checked.
Jan. 31, 2014, 8:30 pm
ty from pps says:
It's too bad Bill Bratton pulled that number out of his bum...
Feb. 1, 2014, 12:03 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
How about trying to disprove that claim rather than acting so bent out of shape on it.
Feb. 1, 2014, 3:24 pm
s from Brooklyn says:
The 84th Precinct needs to do some enforcement. And lead by example. Their officers need to stop parking in crosswalks, driving through reds without sirens on, parking on sidewalks...
Feb. 1, 2014, 3:51 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- 90% of the things you say are wrong and MANY MANY people regularly disprove your claims (with facts and figures and source -- other than random letters in the NY Daily News), but you never ever ever change your opinion -- ever.

What's the point, Tal? Go stick it up you bum.
Feb. 1, 2014, 4:24 pm
NYPD from NY says:
The more Tal types, the fatter he gets.
Feb. 2, 2014, 11:25 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Once again, you guys attack the person rather than discuss the actual issue, which shows how bent out of shape you guys really are.
Feb. 2, 2014, 7:45 pm
NYPD from NY says:
I don't even care about the topic, I stand by my statement. The more Tal types, the fatter he gets.
Feb. 2, 2014, 8:27 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
If you feel that I am wasting my time, then why do you give me the time of day? I take it you had a slow day or probably don't have a life. If you are part of the NYPD, though I feel you're not, you should be going after all the cyclists and pedestrians who constantly flout the laws. BTW, Pat Lynch, who is the head of the PBA, opposes the use of cameras in the claim it will mean downsizing on the force. Of course, I'm still waiting for where Bratton is wrong on his claim for jaywalking, but I will probably here something from Streetsblog that sound like something that Mark Gorton, the site's founder, probably paid to come up with such a claim. On a side note, attacking the person, is a real low even for you, and you act just like a person who hates the WNBA by attacking the players and fans with nothing but personal attacks rather than stating a reason for why you don't like the WNBA.
Feb. 2, 2014, 9:46 pm
NYPD from NY says:
BLAH BLAH BLAH, SLURP, MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH, BURP, BLAH BLAH BLAH...
-Tal eating/commenting from his car.
Feb. 3, 2014, 1:05 pm
RS from Cobble Hill says:
I was hit by a car while crossing over Boerum Place at the intersection with Altantic Avenue just last month. I had a walk signal and the driver had a green light on Atlantic Ave but did not see me in the cross walk as he was turing left. The 84th precint did not even issue him a ticket.
June 24, 2014, 10:53 am