Perry is marking his second decade in Albany this year. Hinds wants to make sure it also marks the end of the Jamaican legislator’s term in office.
• Elected to the Assembly in 1992.
• Was one of 18 assemblymembers who voted against mayoral control of city schools in 2009.
• Immigrated to the U.S. from Jamaica in 1971. Served two years in the U.S. Army.
• Born and raised in Flatbush. Graduated Tilden High School.
• Practicing attorney. Was once a substance abuse prevention and intervention specialist for the school system.
• Current chairman of Community Board 17.
• Hinds accused Perry of being a complacent legislator.
• Perry slammed Hinds for his ignorance about the problems plaguing Flatbush.
• As the campaign heated up, Assemblyman Perry hired a former state Senate legislative aide who was charged with forgery back in 2007. Hinds criticized Perry’s decision, saying “one has to question the need as well as the timing for such a highly questionable hire.”
• Perry has nearly $40,000 squirreled away for his campaign. Hinds has just over $25,000 for his campaign.