Burn-outs! Kids seared in weed-related explosion

Police say the explosion that rocked this Marine Parkway home on Dec. 17 was caused by teenagers using butane to extract marijuana resin.
Photo by Steve Solomonson

Two kids’ plan to get high went up in smoke — and took them with it.

A pair of Marine Park teens trying to cook up a potent form of marijuana triggered the horrific gas explosion that rocked a house on Marine Parkway on Dec. 17 — and sent the couple to the hospital with severe burns, police report.

Police say 19-year-old Anthony Gambale and 17-year-old Gabriella Katanov were trying to make so-called “earwax” — a concentrated cannabis resin — shortly after 2 am in a garage behind Gambale’s house by soaking a large quantity of pot in butane in order to separate the plant from its intoxicating oil.

One of the two made the mistake of striking a light — causing a fireball to erupt in the carport.

Police and firefighters arrived at 2:21 am and rushed the seared teens to Staten Island University Hospital with second and third degree burns.

The two will face charges of criminal use of drug paraphernalia, reckless endangerment, and possession of marijuana.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.

More from Around New York