Quantcast
Flatbush family overcome by fumes • Brooklyn Paper

Flatbush family overcome by fumes

A Flatlands Volunteer Ambulance Corps paramedic treats a little boy who was overcome by fumes in his house near the corner of Albany Avenue and Farragut Road on Friday. A noxious mix of carbon monoxide and pesticides were to blame, officials said.
Photo by Steve Solomonson

A fire broke out in the basement of a Glenwood Road building on Nov. 11 — mixing up a noxious cocktail of carbon monoxide and pesticides that sickened seven residents.

Firefighters and paramedics raced to the home, located near Albany Avenue, at 12:26 am, after a small blaze broke out in the basement of the storefront building.

Witnesses said the victims, which included two adults and three children, rushed out of their smoke-filled apartments retching and vomiting.

Sources said the landlord fumigated the basement earlier in the day. When the fire broke out, it mingled with pockets of carbon monoxide that was already in he basement, they said.

“It was a smoky fire, and the people who lived in the apartments were quickly overcome by the fumes,” an FDNY source said.

It was unclear what sparked the fire by Monday night. Residents were treated at the scene — and were allowed to go back home after the entire building was aired out.

Reach reporter Thomas Tracy at ttracy@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2525.

More from Around New York