Grabbing some justice

Grabbing some justice

A 16-year-old alleged thief learned a very valuable lesson last week — never try to rob someone when there are people faster than you are nearby.

The suspect, identified as Raheem Clarke, was chased down and grabbed by several Good Samaritans after he allegedly tried to take a woman’s cell phone on Strong Place and Kane Street last week.

The woman, 37, told police that she was nearing the corner at 1:50 p.m. on March 5, talking on her cell phone, when Clarke allegedly ran up to her and snatched the phone from her hands.

The woman was startled, but not too fazed — she snatched the phone right back.

Clarke ran off empty-handed, but not before three men walking by saw what happened and gave chase.

The teen was ultimately grabbed up at the corner of Clinton and DeGraw streets and held until Police Officer Patrick Barbato could take him into custody for attempted grand larceny.

Robbed by footbridge

A 48-year-old man was held up at knifepoint as he walked by the footbridge near the corner of Henry Street and Hamilton Avenue.

The victim told police that two unidentified men pulled a knife on him and demanded his property as he walked past them at 8:30 a.m. on March 3.

The thugs made off with the man’s wallet, which containing $40, officials said.

No injuries were reported.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to come forward.

Calls can be made to the 76th Precinct at (718) 834-3211. All calls will be kept confidential.

Road ragers sought

Cops are looking for two thugs who attacked a 51-year-old motorist after they cut him off in a fit of road rage at the corner of Smith and West 9th streets.

The victim said he was approaching the intersection just after 11 p.m. on March 2 when a 2002 grey colored sedan raced by and cut him off, bringing his car to a screeching halt.

The sedan also stopped, police said.

Seconds later, two men bounded from the vehicle. One of them was armed with a knife. The second man picked up a pole lying in the street.

Together the duo began bashing the victim’s car windshield, driver’s side windows and mirrors as he sat helpless inside.

The man with the pole managed to whack the victim in the arm, leaving him with a slight injury.

The two men then fled the scene as quickly as they arrived, police said.

Messy visitors

A Columbia Street woman returned from a short vacation to learn that thieves had ransacked her home.

The 48-year-old said she came home at 2 a.m. on March 2 to find all of her belongings scattered throughout her apartment. All of her drawers were open and rummaged through, cops were told.

Investigators later ascertained that the thief entered the apartment through a rear bedroom window that was found open.

The burglary, however, could have happened anytime between March 2 and the previous Friday, when she left for her trip.

It was unclear what was taken from the apartment near DeGraw Street as this paper went to press.

Sackett steal averted

Police said that someone tried to break into a Sackett Street home last week, but gave up before he could get any headway.

The 59-year-old resident told police that he returned to his home between Smith and Court streets at 4:10 p.m. on March 2 to find that someone had damaged his downstairs rear window in a failed attempt to break inside.

A witness reportedly saw someone running through the back yards around the time the break-in took place, cops were told.

Left floored

Six nail guns, two saws and several other pieces of flooring equipment was swiped from a truck parked on Union Street Friday.

Workers for Chester Floors said that they parked their van between Smith and Court Street at 11:30 a.m. on March 5.

When they returned at 3 p.m., they discovered that someone had managed to force open the rear door and snag the equipment, which was valued at $3,500.

Fighting back

A thug was sent scrambling back to where he came from after he made the mistake to pick on the wrong woman.

Cops from the 76th Precinct said that the woman was walking along Tiffany Place near Kane Street at 5 p.m. on February 27 when the unidentified suspect grabbed her from behind.

“Don’t scream,” the man seethed. “Give me your phone.”

In a surprise move, the woman flat out refused.

Outraged, the suspect shoved her to the ground and punched her, but the woman still refused.

Having met his match, the suspect ran off empty handed, police said.

Help wipe out graffiti

As the ongoing war against graffiti vandalism continues, cops are now offering a $500 reward to anyone with information that can help them arrest neighborhood graffiti vandals.

The hefty reward is part of the city’s ongoing push to rid New York of graffiti; the leading quality of life complaint brought to police.

Anyone with information about graffiti vandalism in their neighborhood is urged to contact either 311 or 911.

More from Around New York