Quantcast
More of America by the Numbers… plus an opinion. • Brooklyn Paper

More of America by the Numbers… plus an opinion.

While President Obama’s approval rating averaged less than 50 percent for the first half of 2010 it is interesting to note that, according to Gallup, his approval rating among Muslim-Americans was 78 percent. Hmmm. Wonder why? … Anybody … anybody?

• • •

One of every six Americans is now on the Federal dole in one form or another. I have to question how many are legitimate and how many are scammers. Oh, yes. There are scammers everywhere. Just Google “food stamps scams.”

• • •

In the cable news race, America still loves FOX. Of the top 10 shows, the first six are on FNC. O’Reilly — with nearly four million viewers — is still number one. Larry King, Anderson Cooper and Chris Matthews aren’t even in the top 10. The Matthews fans are still whining that the reason for his low viewership (about 620,000 per episode) is because Hardball is telecast at 5 pm — a pretty bad time of day for television. That’s funny. Glenn Beck, who at 2.6 million, draws more than four times that amount, is also telecast at 5 pm. Let’s face it. With all of the condemning, droning, complaining, criticizing and belligerence by Olbermann about Beck, Hannity and O’Reilly, America still loves FOX.

And with all of her griping about Beck, the only thing that Joy Behar could blame on Beck is that the thief actually stole most of Hardball’s viewers.

• • •

The most recent partisan identification poll divided American voters into three groups. Group 1: , Democrats, at 35 percent; Group 2: Republicans, at 33.8 percent; and Group 3:Neither, at 31.1 percent. In the next election, the most important group is the bloc with the lowest number of voters, Group #3. This group will actually decide who gets elected.

• • •

Even with a better-than-expected addition of 67,000 private sector jobs in August, the unemployment rate increased from 9.5 percent to 9.6 percent. Businesses, large and small, are uncertain of what Obama will do to them next. They are sitting on their capital and will not hire until the CEO in the White House is out of office. We can, therefore, look forward to a rising economy in January, 2013 at the earliest.

• • •

And finally, a new Rasmussen national telephone survey finds that 75 percent of likely voters want the members of Congress to cut their own salaries until the federal budget is balanced. I am StanGershbein@Bellsouth.net and I am part of the remaining 25 percent. I don’t want them to be paid at all.

More from Around New York