Hundreds of supporters cheered while honorees were celebrated at Power Women of Brooklyn. These women make Brooklyn a thriving and vibrant place to live, work, and play in. The event took place on Thursday October 5 at El Caribe.
The ultimate networking event celebrated extraordinary women from a broad spectrum of the business and nonprofit worlds who were recognized for their accomplishments and their commitment to making a positive impact on Brooklyn.
“I want to thank the Schneps family for making this arena possible for us to celebrate each other and celebrate the wonderful work that we do as power women of Brooklyn,” said Dr. Sandra Scott, executive director of One Brooklyn Health-Brookdale University Medical Center, who received the LGBTQ Lifetime Advocate Award. “All of you lift us up and support us and thank you so much for finding a space for us to celebrate each other. Let’s celebrate each power woman with joy and happiness.”
The event was hosted by Schneps Media, publishers of the Bay News, Brooklyn Graphic, Park Slope Courier, Bay Ridge Courier, Brooklyn Paper, El Correo, Caribbean Life and amNewYork Metro, which is proud to bring together extraordinary women to connect, support, do business and build community with each other. When women support women, amazing things happen.
“This is a wonderful event and I am excited to be here with some dynamic women and I can’t wait to partner with them, collaborate with them and to bring our services to everyone throughout New York,” said Mary C. DiGangi, chief people officer for MetroPlusHealth.
In addition to the ultimate networking and joyful celebration, 100% of the raffle proceeds went to the nonprofit Federation of Organizations.
“I think that it’s so wonderful that women are being honored tonight and they are made to feel important and empowered because generally as a woman, certainly when you get older people think that your role is to help everyone,” said Dr. Kusum Viswanathan, chief medical officer for One Brooklyn Health-Brookdale University Medical Center. “I am looking at all of the amazing women who are being honored tonight and the common thread between us all is everyone who came on stage, you could see the passion and to me that really exemplifies that tonight really means a lot.”
The celebration was a night to remember for supporters and honorees alike.
“I am super happy and excited to be here tonight. Events like these are important because as women we need to be recognized for our hard work,” said Sandra Viera of Ponce Bank.
“I’ve been a nurse for 28 years all in the city system and it’s all about giving back,” said Althea Senior-Morris, associate executive director of ambulatory care nursing for South Brooklyn Health. “My mom who is here tonight is my inspiration for becoming a nurse and I thank everyone here so much. I feel very honored to be here and we are going to have a good time tonight.”
“It has been my pleasure to serve my community of Brooklyn for 38 years as a registered nurse and in that I am the director of critical care, cardiac catheterization and non-invasive cardiology,” said Marjorie Daly-Walsh, director of nursing, critical care cardiac catheterization lab and non-invasive cardiology at South Brooklyn Health. “I really strive for and believe in the compassion that we have for not only our patients and their families but each other. We have to make sure that we keep each other healthy and continue to support each other like we’re doing tonight, so ladies you are amazing and together we can accomplish anything.”
The honorees epitomize what makes Brooklyn the community it is: people who through persistence and ability overcome obstacles and rise through the ranks of their profession.
To learn more about the honorees visit PowerWomenBklyn.com.
Power Women of Brooklyn Honorees:
- Gina Argento, President & CEO, Broadway Stages
- Tashany Brown, Manager Health & Wellness Coach, Nueratrend Maids and Pros
- Kelly Burns, Director of Capital Design and Construction, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Jacqueline Capriles, President, Leading Factor
- Michelle Carson, Senior Project Manager, Operations/Finance, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Bonnie Cintron, Associate Executive Director, Operations, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Angela Cooper, Assistant Director of Communications, Public Affairs, Volunteering Services, NYC Health + Hospitals/McKinney
- Biance D’Alessio, Founder, The Masters Division, Nest Seekers International
- Majorie Daly-Walsh, MSN, RN , Director of Nursing, Critical Care, Cardiac Catheterization Lab and Non-invasive Cardiology, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Claudette Darrell, Stellar Productions
- Hon. Maritza Davila, Assemblywoman, 53rd District
- Michelle DeFossett, Chief Operating Officer, Girls Who Invest Inc.
- Mary C. Digangi, Chief People Officer, MetroPlusHealth
- Kamila Dottin, Independent Drivers Guild
- Hayley B. Dryer, Esq., Senior Vice President & General Counsel, St. Francis College
- Andrea Esposito, CN-BA, Practice Manager/Surgical Coordinator & Certified Navigator/Breast Advocate, Dr. John Kehoe Breast Center & Vantage Health
- Barbara Faron, Chief Executive Officer, Federation of Organizations
- Claudia Garcenot, MSN, MHA, RN, Vice President & Chief Nursing Officer, Mount Sinai Health System-Brooklyn
- Laura Gazzara, ACCS-RRT, Director, Respiratory Therapy, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Teresa Gonzalez, Co-Founder & Partner, Evolution Strategies NY
- Dr. Kayane Hanna Hindy, Director of Women’s Digestive Division, Gastroenterology Associates of Brooklyn
- Hon. Letitia James, Attorney General, State of New York
- Doria Josma, Founder & CEO, Your Why LLC
- Ambassador Dr. Sima Karetnaya, USA Global Peace Ambassador Country Director & WHO Medical Expert, Global Peace Chain and World Health Organization
- Justine Lee-Mills, Licensed Real Estate Salesperson, The Corcoran Group
- Francisca Leopold, Chair, Kings County Hospital Community Advisory Board
- Michelle Lewis, Chief Executive Officer, NYC Health + Hospitals/Gotham Health
- Chaplain Dr. Ingrid P. Lewis-Martin, Chief Advisor, Office of the Mayor
- Camille Logan, Executive Vice President, Managing Director of Sales, Park Slope, Brown Harris Stevens
- Hon. Nikki Lucas, Assemblywoman, 60th District
- Tara L. Martin, Managing Director, Mercury Public Affairs
- Kamla Karina Millwood, President, Palatial Publishing LLC
- Stephanie G. Ovadia, Esq., Founder, Law Office of Stephanie Ovadia
- Katrena Perou, Founding Executive Director, Inspiring Minds NYC
- Sarana Purcell, District Leader and State Committeewoman for the 43rd Assembly, Brooklyn Democratic Party
- Nicole Robinson-Etienne, Director of External Affairs, LinkNYC
- Jasmin Ryan, Associate Director, Ambulatory Care, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Prisca Salazar-Rodriguez, Co-Founder & Partner, Evolution Strategies NY
- Dr. Sandra R. Scott, Executive Director, One Brooklyn Health-Brookdale Hospital
- Faye Scott, MSN, RN, Director of Nursing, Education/Informatics/Wound Care, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Althea Senior-Morris, MSN, RN, Associate Executive Director, Ambulatory Care Nursing, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Anne-Rhea Smith, Founder & CEO, FUNSATION4 Media
- Lissa Mariel Southerland, Chief Operating Officer, Rising Ground
- Crystal Stanton, MA, Division Director of Behavioral Health & Criminal Justice Services, EAC Network
- Sara Steinweiss, Founder, Conflict Resolution Systems, LLC
- Sandra Viera, Vice President, Commercial Relationship Officer, Ponce Bank
- Kusum Viswanathan, MD, FAAP, Chief Medical Officer, One Brooklyn Health-Brookdale Hospital Medical Center
- Hon. Helene Weinstein, Assemblywoman, 41st District
- Lakeisha Weston, Coordinating Manager, Community Relations, NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health
- Barbara Williams, Citywide Director of Outreach, NYC Civic Engagement Commission
- Pauline Yeung-Ha, Founding Partner, Grimaldi Yeung Law Group