Slick duo steals iPod, wallet from straphanger - Brooklyn Paper

Slick duo steals iPod, wallet from straphanger

88th Precinct

Fort Greene–Clinton Hill

The music died

A team of slick thieves pilfered an iPod and wallet from a woman riding the 2 train near Flatbush Avenue on March 1.

The 30-year-old victim told cops she was riding the train near Fulton Street at 4:35 am when her music suddenly stopped. She looked up and noticed a man had taken her iPod from her pocket and exited the train.

When she stood up to pursue him, her bag fell to the ground and another man stole her wallet, cops said.


A would-be crook was caught in the act of trying to steal a car radio on Ashland Place on March 5.

The 28-year-old victim told cops he saw another man in his vehicle between DeKalb and Willoughby avenues attempting to remove the radio with a screwdriver at 11 am, and when he approached, the wannabe thief fled through a window.

The victim chased the perp, who told him to stop following and threatened to poke the man with the screwdriver, the victim told cops.

Gun ho

An armed duo robbed a Fulton Street restaurant on March 3.

Representatives from the store told cops that the crooks entered the eatery between S. Portland Avenue and S. Oxford Street at 9:30 pm, demanded money, and displayed a silver gun. After taking more than $600, the crooks fled.

Drug store dealer

A thief stole some products from a drug store on Myrtle Avenue on March 5.

Representatives from the store near Navy Street told cops the thief entered the store at 12:30 pm, and tried to steal a bottle of Rogaine and other products. When workers from the store confronted the perp, he threw one employee to the ground and kicked his head, they told cops.


A crook robbed a teenager on Lafayette Avenue on March 7.

The 14-year-old victim told cops that he was at Adelphi Street at 9:30 am when a jerk approached him with a leading question

“Do you have something?” the assailant asked. “Don’t let me go in your pockets and find something.”

The kid handed over his iPod and the predator left.

Bar frights

Two altercations broke out at the same Fulton Street night club on March 5.

First, a 28-year-old woman told cops she was at the club between Clinton and Vanderbilt avenues at 12:20 am when someone hit her in the face with a broken glass bottle.

Then a 28-year-old patron told cops that at 12:22 am he got into an argument with another man, who pulled out a gun more than an hour later and shot the victim in the stomach.

The gunman fled, cops said.

Glass attack

A crook broke into a building on Fort Greene Place and stole a handbag on March 4.

The 42-year-old victim told cops that the crook threw a rock through the front door of her place between Lafayette Avenue and Hanson Place at 2:30 am, breaking the glass, and took her handbag.

Camera man

A crook broke into a building on Flushing Avenue and stole a bunch of electronics sometime overnight on March 8.

A representative from the studio between Carlton Avenue and Adelphi Street told cops he left the studio at 10 pm, returning at 7:30 am the next day to find $8,000 worth of cameras gone.

Nowhere man

An intruder entered an apartment on Clermont Avenue on March 9, but didn’t take anything.

A resident of the building between DeKalb and Lafayette avenues was watching television at 9:06 pm when the perp entered through the rear door of his apartment and left emptyhanded.


A pair of crafty hustlers stole $2,500 from a woman on Myrtle Avenue on March 4.

The 56-year-old woman told cops she was at Waverly Avenue at 12:30 pm when two men approached her and showed her some cash they said they had found. After the three of them agreed to split the cash, they drove to Chase bank where she cashed checks for $2,600.

Cops said the trio then drove to a Bank of America in Brooklyn Heights, where the victim gave the money to one of the grifters, who promptly fled.

Phone home

A pickpocket slipped an iPhone out of a woman’s pocket on Vanderbilt Avenue on March 8.

The 60-year-old woman told cops she was riding the B38 bus and got off at Lafayette Avenue at 5:30 pm. That’s when she noticed her phone was gone from her jacket’s inside pocket.

— Eli Rosenberg

More from Around New York