Astroland owner left to sit and spin

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Coney Island’s historic Astroland will close up for the season in just over a month — and when it does, it may be closing for good.

With the summer season winding down, Astroland’s operator Carol Albert still doesn’t know whether her landlord Thor Equities — which is in a much larger battle with the Bloomberg Administration over the future of the entire amusement area — will renew her lease for another year.

“Here we are on the edge of the great precipice again,” said Albert, referring to last year’s 11th-hour, one-year lease that Thor offered her when it became clear that the development company would not be allowed to move ahead with its $1.5-billion, hotel, retail and amusement complex.

This year, Albert says she needs a decision from Thor about another one-year extension as soon as possible. Hanging in the balance are jobs for her small, full-time staff and hundreds of seasonal employees, the steadily declining value of her rides and arguably, the heart and soul of Coney Island itself.

She claims that she “turned down an offer” to sell the rides at her rundown, Space Age-themed amusement area in hopes of getting another one-year extension.

And if she’s not back on Surf Avenue and West 10th Street, she doesn’t expect anyone to replace the 46-year-old amusement park.

“It looks like [it will be] Astroland or vacant land,” she said. “If we go dark, it will be sad for Coney Island.”

The uncertainty about the park’s future stems from an ongoing dispute between Joe Sitt, Thor’s owner, and the Bloomberg Administration over who will get to build what both say they want: a top-notch playground of new rides that would replace many existing amusements and vacant lots near the sand-swept Boardwalk.

Sitt, the principal property owner in the area, says he would like to develop his own amusement park, but the mayor has said he doubts that Thor Equities, best known for retail development, is up to the task. Bloomberg has proposed buying out Thor and other landowners to create a city-owned attraction of rides operated by a theme park professional.

The official public review of the city proposal is underway, but the process is so time consuming that it is unlikely to be completed by next summer.

Albert hopes that Thor, which purchased her land two years ago, books her for another year while the company sorts out the larger land-use plan with the lame duck Bloomberg Administration.

“We’ve had a successful relationship with them [Thor] and we’d like it to continue, but we don’t know yet,” Albert said.

A company spokesman would only say that Albert has a lease through the end of this year and that the company has proven its commitment to seaside amusements.

“Astroland is signed until January, 2009. In the meantime, Thor remains focused on this season’s ‘Summer of Hope’ — a season in which Thor has already brought the world-famous Reithoffer shows to Coney Island; sponsored several events including the annual sand castle building competition; and continues to provide free admission to Astroland for numerous community groups,” Thor Equities spokesman Stefan Friedman saud.

Meanwhile, the city says that Thor is using Astroland as a pawn in a power play.

“If Astroland goes, we will be left with even more vacant and desolate parcels in Coney Island, which only helps to lay the groundwork for a landowner to make a claim in a future administration that amusements don’t work, but a giant mall or luxury condo would,” said Lynn Kelly, president of the Coney Island Development Corporation.

Deno’s Wonder Wheel, the other family-run amusement park in Coney Island, is in a more secure position. It owns most of the land underneath its rides and its owner says he does not feel threatened by the city’s redevelopment plan.

Updated 6:38 pm, August 14, 2008
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Perry from Coney Island says:
Board up the park....None of the residents WANT or need this place. The beach and surrounding area is fine without this run down amusement park. The commercial interests have made millions over their lifetime charging high prices for inferior old rides. Goodbye and good riddence. Enough of your crying....
Aug. 12, 2008, 9:29 am
Daniel from Coney Island says:
WE need a amusement park, coney island's economy needs it! The city plan and thor's plan suck, both should be scraped!
Aug. 12, 2008, 7:57 pm
Annmarie from Brighton Beach says:
We need to keep Astroland alive until the revitalization plan is decided. Since Thor Equities started buying up Coney Island, there are fewer attractions and more empty lots. It seems a deliberate attempt to erase amusements and blight Coney Island. It's shameful!
Aug. 13, 2008, 12:41 am
derrick from bedford stuyvesant says:
I just want them to get started already. Astroland, sorry for the lack of heart, is really a dump and needs to be fixed up. More jobs, more tourists, newer enviroment is what I want to see in that area. One more year open really won't do anything for Astroland.
Aug. 14, 2008, 4:53 am
Janelle from Midwood says:
The ones who are saying that Astroland needs to go (Derrick & Perry)- SHAME ON YOU ALL! You have no heart. Manhattan has enough tourist spots, we don't need to have the entire tourist community coming to Coney Island as well. It's fine the way it is. And Perry- I'm assuming he's speaking for every single resident in Coney, since he says that "None of the residents want or need this place." How do you know? Did you ask every single person?
Yes, it may be seedy, but that's what makes Coney Island!
Aug. 17, 2008, 12:49 pm
Paul A. Toomey from Bay Ridge/Ft. Hamilton says:
Thor Equities bought up properties under the pretense that they would rebuild a amusement area and then as a second thought said Oh Yeah..maybe a few hotels & a couple of high-rise commercial buildings too. The city has been back & forth with future ideas, re-zoning, the amount of acres to be used for amusements etc. Mr.Sitt erected a bunch of rides that looked like a erecter set & removed them in the middle of the season. It would be a nice consideration for Carol Thomas,the maintenance crew & seasonal workers to know if there will be another season to come. Coney is going to change, that's for sure but at least let them know if there will be a lease re-newal for next year. Paul A. Toomey
Aug. 19, 2008, 12:34 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!