He dropped the ring — but city workers found it!

for The Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

City workers have saved the day for a Florida man who had fumbled his attempt to propose to his girlfriend on the fabled Brooklyn Bridge, dropping the engagement ring out of his sweaty hands and onto construction material below.

On Friday, hours after we contacted the Department of Transportation about the bauble bobble, workers found the symbol of love and are preparing to reunite it with the happy couple.

“Are you serious?” fiancee Kelsey Kramer said after we told her the good news. “I can’t believe it, I’m so happy!”

This ring cycle certainly didn’t look like it would have a storybook ending on Wednesday night, when Turner and his would-be bethrothed took a walk on the bridge, entering the span on the side near Kramer’s Brooklyn Heights apartment.

As Turner took the first steps onto the boardwalk, he remembered looking down and thinking how horrible it would be if the ring, with its .6-karat stone, fell.

“The first thing I thought was that I should be really careful,” he said.

When the lovebirds got to about 30 feet from the Brooklyn tower, Turner got down on one knee — but then immediately found himself scrounging around on two after he nervously dropped the ring.

“I was pulling the ring to propose, and it flipped out of my pocket,” said Turner. “It flew in the air, hit the ground and started to roll. I was leaning down to grab it when it fell.”

Turner added that both he and Kramer heard the ring hit a metal platform directly below them. “It was all enclosed,” he said. “So I knew it was down there and not in the river.”

After they peered through the cracks on the boardwalk, they contacted the Department of Transportation, which is overseeing the three-year bridge reconstruction, in hopes of recovering the ring.

Updated 5:11 pm, September 24, 2010

Don’t miss our updates:

Paul A. from Ft. Hamilton/Bay Ridge says:
New Yorkers shine again!As they say Only in New York!I'm sure everytime the Brooklyn Bridge is mentioned or pictured this young couple will have great memories and stories to tell.
Sept. 24, 2010, 11:55 am
Publius from Bklyn Heights says:
Trey bien.
Sept. 24, 2010, 12:25 pm
David from Chicago says:
Lucky guy! Must have been CZ for them not to keep it!
Sept. 24, 2010, 1:17 pm
Kelsey says:
Thanks to all involved in helping us! My wonderful fiance is so happy (as am I). There is no way our engagement and marriage wouldn't have had a happy ending even without the ring... But now it's perfect. Thanks from the bottom of my heart!!!
Sept. 24, 2010, 5:05 pm
Patty from FL says:
Thanks to all those involved. You've really made Kelsey's Aunt and Uncle so happy. I can not wipe the smile off my face. Thanks again NY for taking care of my niece, who has only been there about a week.
Sept. 24, 2010, 5:57 pm
anne Turner from Georgia says:
My grandson knows how to do things right!! ALMOST
Sept. 24, 2010, 6:51 pm
Lisa Turner from Florida says:
Thank you SO much to Joe, Sabrina, Doug and the wonderful policeman who were all so kind and helpful every step of the way! And thank God for seeing to it that broken bridges are being repaired!
Sept. 25, 2010, 10:25 am
Margaret from Chicago says:
Thank you everyone that helped Trey and Kelsey, because he's pretty clumsey!!!! :)
Sept. 26, 2010, 10:35 am
Doug's Mom from Blue Point says:
That's My Boy! Keep up the Good work Doug. He always was a good boy. Love Ma
Sept. 28, 2010, 11:40 am

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your community:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!