Man punches woman in the face after argument about Trump at Boerum Hill bistro

Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

An apparent Donald Trump fan punched a lady in the face after the pair got into an argument about the outcome of the election at Boerum Hill French bistro Bar Tabac on Saturday evening then made a hasty getaway as staff tried to chase him down, according to witnesses who were shocked to see the whole thing play out in front of families during dinner-time.

“It’s the worst thing ever — a guy in front of kids punching a girl in the face,” said Jonas Leon, the manager who was on duty at the Smith and Dean streets eatery at the time of the attack.

The assailant was having dinner with a woman when he got into an argument about the president-elect with the two women at the table next to him after they expressed their disappointment about Trump’s victory, according to Leon.

The man asked Leon to throw the women out of the restaurant, but he refused, and instead moved the gent and his companion to a different table. The guy paid his check and exited the restaurant at 6:50 pm, but then dashed back in again — nearly knocking over a kid on his way — and slugged one of the ladies in the face, according to the manager.

“The guy came back almost running, and he started pushing some customer and the high-chair next to him with the baby because he couldn’t reach the girl,” Leon said. “Then he punched the girl.”

Leon ran after the brute, who began insisting that he was somebody important.

“You don’t know who I am!” he yelled, according to Leon.

Indeed, no one appeared to know who the man was, and they didn’t find out because the bruiser and his date managed to jump into their car and drove away before police arrived at around 7:20 pm.

A diner who did not know any of the other parties corroborated the account, and says she comforted the rattled victim after the assault.

“I went up to her and she just held me and started sobbing and said ‘What is happening? I just got assaulted,’ ” said Katie Freeman, a Boerum Hill resident who eating at the restaurant with her toddler, a friend, and the pal’s daughter at the time.

The 49-year-old victim declined to go to the hospital for treatment but filed a report with the police, who confirmed the incident and are said they are still investigating.

Leon was unable to take a picture of the license plate because his phone was inside at the time, and the couple paid in cash so there are no credit card records, but he describes the attacker as a 5-foot-6 man in his 40s with a buzz cut.

Freeman says the attack really struck a blow to her sense of safety in the largely left-leaning neighborhood.

“In my own neighborhood post-election it has felt like a liberal bubble where everyone has been grieving together,” she said. “It felt really startling and it made me feel a little less safe.”

Reach reporter Lauren Gill at lgill@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2511. Follow her on Twitter @laurenk_gill
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Dara from Prospect Heights says:
Only schmucks drive in Boerum Hill.
Nov. 14, 2016, 2:56 pm
Marcos P. from Cobble Hill says:
This guys needs to get got.
Nov. 14, 2016, 3 pm
p a from cobble hill says:
no security footage? he needs to be outed and arrested.
Nov. 14, 2016, 3:28 pm
Mateo from Boerum Hill says:
Only 30 minutes for the 8-4 to show up? That's a new land speed record for them!
Nov. 14, 2016, 3:31 pm
Paul from Bath Beach says:
Someone's gotta have video.. someone grab him by the pu $$y. He's obviously one.
Nov. 14, 2016, 3:37 pm
Dan from Kensington says:
So... Mobster or cop?
Nov. 14, 2016, 3:56 pm
Delaware Resident says:
If somebody gets this dirtbag, please everyone else, look the other way and insist to the police you saw NOTHING.

Will serve his racist ass right.
Nov. 14, 2016, 4:14 pm
Barry from Flatbush says:
This is how it starts.
Nov. 14, 2016, 4:20 pm
Jeffrey from Cobble Hill says:
I'm pretty sure there's video across the street. Hope it's been checked.
Nov. 14, 2016, 4:22 pm
FnameLname from around says:
And so it begins. Funny, all the years that people have slammed Obama for everything he did, which I still don't remember any of it making him this terrible person, and during those 8 years of all the nonsense of listening to attack after attack and nobody started attacking the racists as they spewed their venom. Here we are the man is not even in the office and people are getting threatened and assaulted left and right. All you have to do in this country is instill fear in the mindless, run for office and yell ATTACK. This will not end well.
Nov. 14, 2016, 5:11 pm
Sunny from Williamsburg says:
A yuppie eating at a French Bistro didn't use a credit card to pay for his meal, really? Hard to believe they couldn't at least get his name that way. What an effing coward, I hope they catch him.
Nov. 14, 2016, 5:30 pm
Angela from Long Island says:
How about fingerprints? He could be in the system.
Nov. 14, 2016, 5:42 pm
Eddie B from Chinatown says:
They aren't going to call CSI out for a minor assault. Just doesn't work that way in real life.
Nov. 14, 2016, 5:55 pm
Drew from UES says:
Weird that there's no security footage. Or film or photos, in a whole restaurant full of people with cell phones.
Or that there were any quotes from named policemen, or an assistant DA, or really any kind of corroborating evidence whatsoever.
Meanwhile, "peaceful protests" in other cities end, leaving only two dead and just a limited amount of smoking rubble, from all of that love trumping hate.
Nov. 14, 2016, 6:35 pm
Mike from Slope says:
Fuhrer Trump -- making America hate again.
Nov. 14, 2016, 6:58 pm
ROSALIE907 from GRAVESEND says:
Nov. 14, 2016, 7:43 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Maybe he could get appointed to a community board. Wanting to keep people out is the main qualification for that.
Nov. 14, 2016, 9:44 pm
Eric from America says:
I call —— they have video of people being dragged out of cars,buildings being burned,cops being assulted but not one person could get a pic or video of this argument that turned assault sounds like ——
Nov. 14, 2016, 10:05 pm
hmmm from NYC says:
Fake story. So many of these stories around the country and none, none with video footage or arrests made. Keep the hate coming. Ironic.
Nov. 14, 2016, 10:43 pm
Ellen from Cobble Hill says:
The right wing assailant is a coward; no one snapped a photo? No excuse for Trump loser; if he doesn't like our blue neighborhood, stay the hell out of our restaurants. We don't want fascist bullies in Brooklyn, who assault residents.
Nov. 14, 2016, 11:19 pm
GP from Northern Va says:
The manager or owner I'm sure can do more but choose not too for some reason....
Nov. 15, 2016, 12:49 am
Barb from Brooklyn says:
Paranoid speculation.

"ROSALIE907 from GRAVESEND says:
This is disgusting but do you know what's more disgusting? If he had been a Clinton supporter and she was a Trump supporter there would be headlines, Heil Trump."
Nov. 15, 2016, 2:14 am
Sal from Bensonhurst says:
Yeah, sure, it's fake, and everybody is lying. You're psychic, so you figured that out.

hmmm from NYC says:
Nov. 15, 2016, 2:17 am
Bobby from Court St. says:
In the assailant's defense, Hillary should not have deleted more than 30,000 emails which were under subpoena.
Nov. 15, 2016, 6:31 am
John Wasserman Jr says:
Violence in a French Restaurant? Quoi?!?!?!
Nov. 15, 2016, 7:23 am
MS from Park Slope says:
All of these Trump supporters apparently need a safe space to express their rage. JFC a bunch of whiny crybabies who can't embrace the fact that most of the entire world hates their dude. Get a grip and stop being violent, you yokels.
Nov. 15, 2016, 8:34 am
Dem says:
There's video of a man in Chicago being beaten for having voted for Trump and one of a girl in California

Pretending this stuff doesn't happen doesn't help.
Nov. 15, 2016, 8:42 am
chynadahl from bed-stuy says:
White people: Be forewarned. You are making your bed... Just understand that you are collecting ship loads of negative karma... and karma is the biggest gangster of them all. And I don't care if you don't engage in this type of behavior. You are NOT protected. If you are complicit in and/or not pushing back against this behavior, you are going down too.
Nov. 15, 2016, 8:51 am
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
Brownstone Brooklyn, home of the off-books nannies -- to supply "diversity."
Nov. 15, 2016, 9:52 am
Bandit from Earth says:
chynadahl from bed-stuy says:

Racist idiot
Nov. 15, 2016, 10:17 am
Fuggedaboutit from Carroll Gardens says:
Drove to Smith Street? Clearly from Staten Island.
Nov. 15, 2016, 10:20 am
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
I look like I was punched in the face repeatedly.
Nov. 15, 2016, 10:56 am
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
I hate the browns but I love when they run a train on me. I hate when I blow a hobo and it leaves a dirt ring around my mouth.
So conflicted.
Nov. 15, 2016, 10:58 am
Ben Simmons from Park Slope says:
Buzzcut... drove to Smith Street... irrational violence... “You don’t know who I am!”.

Smells like NYPD to me. In fact A LOT of people are saying this guy sounds like a cop. Sad.
Nov. 15, 2016, 11 am
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
I look like I was punched in the face repeatedly.
Nov. 15, 2016, 11:42 am
Morris from Mill Basin says:
The violent are now in charge. I am wearing my yellow star in an armband every day so they can come to get me. The sooner it's over and I'm dead, the better. I urge others to do the same or commit suicide. Did you ever see the program "Holocaust" from the 1970s? The elderly Jewish couple, the man so proud of his WWI German uniform and military service, saw what was coming and they took poison and lay down on their beds and died by their own hand, thus avoiding the suffering of the other characters -- and in reality, the millions of others.

I am planning to either to be beaten or shot to death in the next few weeks or kill myself. My wife and I have a suicide pact. We are not going to wait for them to round us up and take us to the camps to be tortured and killed. We have lived most of our lives already.

I pity you all who will remain alive for however long.

Don't deny the writing on the wall. The Jews who didn't deny and could get out of Germany early, before they couldn't, were the ones that survived.

The U.S. is not the U.S. anymore. You can pretend to fool yourself but the people who want to punch you, knife you, shoot you, kill you are everywhere if you don't toe their line and express admiration for Trump.

See Vittorio De Sica's "Rome: Open City."

We who are about to die pity you survivors.
Nov. 15, 2016, 1:23 pm
Peter North from Brooklyn says:
Drew from UES:

Literally end your own life.
Nov. 15, 2016, 1:55 pm
Dub from Hightower says:
One of the deplorables no doubt
Nov. 15, 2016, 2:25 pm
Lionel from Cobble Hill says:
What a putz. I hope he gets arrested and jailed, just as I hope the thugs wilding in cities across the country, vandalizing property, setting fires and beating up perceived Trump supporters get arrested and thrown in jail. The hate and violence of the uber left over the outcome of a free and fair election is quite a show. The country the Obama Administration has looked down on and left for dead came alive at the polls and produced the biggest upset in history. Those voters didn't vote for Hillary because she had nothing for them, just like Obama. They need jobs. They need respect. They need to know their President hears and respects them. Obama didn't. Hillary didn't and wouldn't.
Nov. 15, 2016, 3:27 pm
truthy from Boerum says:
No arrest = cop or mob thug.
Nov. 15, 2016, 3:38 pm
Danny Canes says:
Very rare if this is in fact true. This is more something the Left would do not the RNC, and especially not Conservatives. We normally just go with the flow, but when enough is enough, well...
I would never punch someone, and I would NEVER hit a girl!!
Nov. 15, 2016, 3:42 pm
Just Wondering says:
Hmmm...5'6", buzz cut, volatile temper...where was Corey Lewandowski that night??
Nov. 15, 2016, 4:17 pm
T.D says:
I smell hoax!!! Where are the police reports? Where is the video? No photo of a bloodied or battered face? Sounds like a made up story to rile up the angry protesters and progressive Hollywood. Just like the made up story of a Muslim female getting he hijab pulled off.
Nov. 15, 2016, 4:25 pm
Bill from Colorado says:
Morris from Mill Basin,
Kudos to you. I am being sincere. If I were a minority, I would do the same. Bless you.
Nov. 15, 2016, 4:46 pm
Mom from Clinton Hill says:
I love how they call the victim a girl. Source of all our problems. Guys vs. girls.
Nov. 15, 2016, 4:47 pm
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
She was probably a SJW. Wonder who started the quarrel.
Nov. 15, 2016, 4:53 pm
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
It was me and I am offended. Just because I am a bulldyke and look like a man doesn't mean you get to make fun of me.
Nov. 15, 2016, 5:11 pm
Mrs. Me from Westchester says:
"In the assailant's defense, Hillary should not have deleted more than 30,000 emails which were under subpoena"

Where in your twisted logic does Hillary allegedly deleting 3 or 30,000 emails give some cretin the right to hit anyone in the face?
Nov. 15, 2016, 6:15 pm
Lisa says:
What's funny about this whole thing is I knew some idiot was going to mention Hilary's email scandal like that's similar to an admitted sexual assailant, racist, bigot, etc and then some. Every time a new allegation is brought against Trump he yells "Hilary's emails" to deter you simple minded sycophantic numb nuts. You all wanted Trump and now you have him. Let's see how much you love him after everything he's doing/going to do affects you.
Nov. 15, 2016, 8:49 pm
Lisa says:
and to the fool that punched that woman. Only a coward will do such a cowardly thing by running. If you were so adamant about your belief and point of view you would have stayed and faced your demise.
Nov. 15, 2016, 8:51 pm
Cynthia Urrea from Clinton Hill says:
OK a guy with a buzcut?, it didn't say if he was black or white,? the perp.
Nov. 15, 2016, 11:41 pm
Stan from Cobble Hill says:
You're right, Lisa, the years of destroyed emails aren't sexual assault. Hillary didn't commit sexual assault, she just enabled her husband's years of groping women, possibly even raping a couple. Trump is a sleaze, no question about it, but he's never been accused of rape. Hollary's husband has, twice. So why dod Hillary decide to run on Trump's peccadillos? Another glaring example of what a clueless candidate she was. Obama came out of nowhere and blew her away. Eight years later another improbable guy does. Stupid DNC. Why didn't they let Elizabeth Warren run? She would have won.
Nov. 15, 2016, 11:55 pm
ROSALIE907 from GRAVESEND says:
Hate to tell you Stan, but Trump has been accused of raping a 13 year old.
Nov. 16, 2016, 3:48 am
Jack from Greenpoint says:
While I would never condone hitting a women. I would love to hear her comments on the new president. Give the guy a chance. I did with Obama and 8 years later I am no better off than I was before. Face it everything cost too much. No hope no change. Don't hit women.
Nov. 16, 2016, 7:38 am
Orcinus1967 from Philly says:
He is not a man. He is a —— for punching a woman in the face and running away.
Nov. 16, 2016, 2:52 pm
Orcinus1967 from Philly says:
c..u.n.t
Nov. 16, 2016, 2:54 pm
Bob from Sheepshead Bay says:
Originally, I thought Hillary was over the top with the deplorable comment for I feel she was deplorable without a doubt. I was never worried about Trump himself. Rather, I am concerned on some of his backers. But, he's our POTUS so we should all give him a chance. Still, that woman who was punched could be my wife, my sister or my Mom and then he cowardly ran off afterwards. When I told others about it, then didn't believe me. So, I'm sending this to them directly. Do I tell my sons we are like the old cartoon where the Pogo character says I have seen the enemy and it is us.
Nov. 16, 2016, 2:55 pm
Lisa says:
Thank you ROSALIE907 for informing Stan on his favorite man's current situation.
Nov. 16, 2016, 11:13 pm
Lisa says:
I am worried about Trump himself because he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and THAT scares me. Fortunately, he cannot do anything without approval from Senate. Unfortunately, the majority are Republican. So, once again his decisions (trying to appoint his kids in charge of National Security) scare me. He's POTUS now...?????
Nov. 16, 2016, 11:21 pm
Lisa says:
Jackie from Greenpoint - everything cost too much? You're no better off 8 years later than you were before? Let's wait in anticipation as the next president elect 4 years from now try to fix the mess created and waiting 4 years prior to him.
Nov. 16, 2016, 11:29 pm
Charlie Adams from Kentucky says:
It's a pity someone didn't "stand their ground" with this POS and put half a dozen 45s in his spleen.
Nov. 17, 2016, 1:15 pm
Charlie Adams from Kentucky says:
Bobby from Court St.: Trash like you defending this POS need the same thing he does.
Nov. 17, 2016, 1:17 pm
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
I deserve a good punch to the (ass)face.
Nov. 17, 2016, 3:36 pm
jim from baltimore says:
he should be killed
Nov. 17, 2016, 7:21 pm
Matt from SF says:
Check security footage stupids
Nov. 17, 2016, 7:32 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
pure dumb
Nov. 18, 2016, 7:27 pm
elizabetta cuneo from brooklyn says:
Trump has emboldened ill-informed bigots, racists and misogynistic bullies everywhere. This is just the beginning of a very bad time.
Nov. 21, 2016, 12:12 pm
Teemot from Maui says:
Fake news...
Jan. 12, 2017, 8:56 am
drew from Kauai says:
Teemot: unless you're positive it's fake news, shut the —— up.

Teemot from Maui says:
Fake news...
March 6, 2017, 8:41 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your community:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!