Sections

Schoolhouse shock: Boro schools rocked by three bomb threats in one week

Extended recess: Midwood High School was the first Brooklyn schoolhouse to receive a bomb threat this week, but it wouldn’t be the last. Both the John Jay Educational Campus in Park Slope and Clara Barton High School in Crown Heights evacuated after threats were called in.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Someone called in a bomb threat to Clara Barton High School in Crown Heights on Friday — the third borough high-school bomb scare in one week, and now police are investigating a possible connection between the explosive but empty threats.

Administrators at the Classon Avenue school received the call at 11:43 am, prompting an evacuation and a subsequent search by police that failed to turn up any explosives or other dangerous devices, according to cops.

Faculty at Midwood High School fielded a similar bomb threat on Feb. 28, as did Park Slope’s John Jay Educational Campus on March 2.

In both incidents, police scoured the schools but also turned up empty handed, and students were herded back into class in less than two hours following their evacuations.

Cops are looking into whether there’s a connection between the three threats, according to a Police Department spokesman — although there is nothing specifically linking them right now.

Naturally, officers are also exploring the possibility that some of the calls were the work of less fastidious students trying to avoid exams, according to police sources.

“Because every time we vacate there nothing happening, it seems to like somebody called because they don’t want to take the test,” a source said.

City high-school students were not undertaking any state or city testing — such as mid-terms or the Regents exam — last week, according to Nigel Franklin, assistant principal at Millennium High School, which is one of several schools at John Jay.

Despite the police’s investigations into a possible link, the Department of Education considers the threats completely unrelated, according to agency spokeswoman Toya Holness.

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Henry Finkelstein from Kings Bay/Sheepshead Bay says:
It is hard to believe that any non-Jewish institution can be victims of bomb threats ,both real or phony and that there can be any other cause ,except anti-Semitism. Only local journalism gives us the whole story and the real truth.

thank you.
March 10, 2017, 5:16 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: