✔ Poll

Vox pop: Are you on board with DeBlasio’s booze cruise?

for Brooklyn Paper

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Yo, ho, ho and a bottle of rum! Mayor DeBlasio’s new city-wide ferry service will serve booze on board, officials said on Wednesday — adopting a popular feature of the Staten Island Ferry. But do Brooklyn’s seafaring straphangers want to commute to work in a floating bar? We asked them:

Frank Galante, Williamsburg

I don’t see the big deal — the ferry’s only a half-hour ride. As long as people control themselves. And most people — except on the weekend when they come to Smorgasburg, they’re a little out of control — I don’t see where there’d be an issue, as long as there’s someone there to guide them, don’t over-serve them. And maybe they should stick to beer and wine. Mixed drinks, that’s where you have a problem. I like mixed drinks, I’m a controlled drinker, but I can see where some young guys, 25, 28, could be a little aggressive.

Robert Rast, Williamsburg

On the New Jersey transit I saw beer, and that is already not good for me. All alcohol should be prohibited — this is my opinion. No drugs, no other things. We stopped using cigarettes in official places, so no alcohol, nothing.

Paul Veldman, Williamsburg

I guess it would be good for the economy, all the tourists would ride it more. But as a commuter that could be kind of annoying, imagining it on a daily basis, if you have to fight through crowds of people drinking. Maybe they ought to keep it for the weekends, or during certain times.

Reader poll

What do you think? Do boozy ferries float your boat?

Updated 12:21 am, March 10, 2017

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

Tyler from pps says:
Those are dumb poll questions... and it's

It's hardly "Woo! Party Boat!" -- It's "Have a beer or a glass of whine after work on the way home." The chances of you actually being *able* to order more than one drink during the course of the commute time would be slim.

"fight through crowds of people drinking" What question did you ask that created these weird fantasy images?

Oh, and where did you find the Puritan living in Williamsburg?
March 10, 2017, 10:46 am
three sheets from the wind says:
I know; it should be "to the wind." The city's contract with the operator dictated that the fare will be the same as the subway. Liquor sales will supplement profits, increasing the possibility that the new service will be profitable.
March 10, 2017, 11 am
Newman from upstairs says:
GEORGE: I didn't get any ice.

JERRY: Just forget it. Let it go.

GEORGE: Um, excuse me, I - I think you forgot my ice.

BOOZE NAZI: Ice -- $2 extra.

GEORGE: $2? But everyone in front of me got free ice.

BOOZE NAZI: You want ice?

GEORGE: Yes, please.

BOOZE NAZI: $3!

GEORGE: What?

BOOZE NAZI: No booze for you! [snaps fingers]

[cashier takes George's drink and gives him back his money]
March 10, 2017, 12:44 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Robert Rast must be a blast at parties. Sorry you missed out on prohibition, dude.
March 11, 2017, 2:19 pm
Pedro Valdez Rivera Jr. from BS, BS, BK, NY says:
So long as they purchased alcohol for the ferry's operating expensives, I will cautiously support it. Then again, safety and security comes first before collecting revenue, assuming there are a few apples on the ferries. To remedy this, there should be at least two NYPD officers for each ferry.
March 11, 2017, 5:06 pm
Jim from Cobble Hill says:
Time to throw Carrie Nation overboard.
March 11, 2017, 8:08 pm

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!