Breast cancer support services in our backyard are a phone call or cyber click away:
American Cancer Society – Look Good Feel Better
Look Good Feel Better is a free, two-hour workshop for women undergoing cancer treatment.
Volunteer cosmetologists teach free beauty techniques to cancer patients in order to improve their self-image, appearance, and quality of life.
The program is available in Brooklyn at:
• Coney Island Hospital
• SUNY Downstate Medical Center
• Kings County Hospital Center
• Maimonides Medical Center – Maimonides Cancer Center
• New York Methodist Hospital
• Woodhull Medical Center – New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation
• Hematology Oncology Associates of Brooklyn
• Lutheran HealthCare – Lutheran Medical Center
For more information, schedules, and to register, call the American Cancer Society at (800) 395–LOOK (5665).
Cancer Survivors Network (https://csn.cancer.org) is an online community by and for people with cancer and their families. Find and connect with others through member search, discussion boards, chat rooms, and private network e-mail. Create your own personal space to tell others about yourself, share photos and audio, start an online journal (blog), contribute resources, and more.
I Can Cope Online (www.cance
American Cancer Society Wig Program
Provides free wigs for women (age 18-plus), who are in financial need and suffering hair loss due to cancer treatment. Synthetic and human hair wigs are available, but items may vary depending on availability. Appointments are held on weekdays during business hours. Walk-ins are not permitted.
The Brooklyn Hospital Center, Cancer Communications Department [121 DeKalb Ave. near Ashland Place in Fort Greene, (718) 250–8126].
Monthly support groups
• BrooklynSHARE meets at Kings Bay YM-YWHA [3495 Nostrand Ave. between Avenues V and U in Sheepshead Bay, (844) 275-7427] Mondays, 7:30–9 pm.
• BrooklynSHARE meets at Restoration Plaza [1368 Fulton St. between New York and Brooklyn avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant, (844) 275–7427] in the first-floor multipurpose room, Tuesdays, 3:30–5 pm.
— Shavana Abruzzo