Quantcast
The future of Coney Island is no longer porn – Brooklyn Paper

The future of Coney Island is no longer porn

The future of Coney Island is no longer X-rated — but it’s up for sale.

Online, that is.

Last week, the Web site that Coney Island property owner Joe Sitt created to showcase “the future of Coney Island” was replaced with a pornographic Web site advertising the “best porn on the net.”

But Davina Cukier — the Belgian woman who acquiredwww.thefutureofconeyisland.com when Sitt allowed it to lapse last fall — claims she’s not responsible for the smut.

“My family has just warned me that my name is associated with a porn Web site!” Cukier told The Brooklyn Paper in an e-mail interview. “It is completely wrong. I do not own any porn Web sites. The domain name I own, ‘thefutureofconeyisland.com,’ has been hijacked.”

Cukier, a buyer and seller of Web domains, claims she purchased the site after noticing its popularity, but posted nothing on it due to illness. That’s when hackers struck, converting the site that once touted Sitt’s vision for a Vegas-style Xanadu into a tawdry French language site directing visitors towww.SexePorno1.com.

Once she learned about the smut, Cukier removed the porno link from the page and posted a message explaining her side of the story in its place.

“I didn’t even know how popular was ‘thefutureofconeyisland’ Web site when I bought it, and I am sorry if it shocked people,” she wrote.

Sitt’s decision to no longer maintain the “future of Coney Island” site raised doubt about whether the developer plans to continue his fight with the city over a zoning change he needs to build his 24-7-365 amusement, hotel and retail complex. His spokesman told the New York Post that the developer had simply decided to discontinue the Web site.

For what it’s worth, Cukier has her own plans for the future of the People’s Playground.

“Now I set ‘thefutureofconeyisland.com’ for sale … as I received several offers for the domain,” said Cukier, who is currently auctioning off the domain in a contest ending on Jan. 25. “I don’t want to keep it because of all the problems it caused to me.”

Cukier said the bidding starts at $130, which is not a lot to control thefutureofconeyisland — especially given that Sitt has paid more than $100 million in hopes of getting control of the real future of Coney Island.

More from Around New York