Ah, August. A new month, a new start. A new set of 31 days for all sorts of outrageous, hedonistic revelry (hey, it is National Goat Cheese Month). So grab a hold of these fleeting moments of summer, Brooklyn, and never let go. Never let go.
• What do fascists and leather have in common? More than you think, actually (which is probably a lot). Those burlesque belly-dancers of the Wasabassco Burlesque are putting together a racy rendition of the timeless WWII flick, “Casablanca,” at the Bell House in Gowanus this Friday, complete with drag queens, “Fetish Fascists,” and stunning starlets wearing fezzes and not much else.
• Take it easy this Saturday and swing by the Three Jolly Pigeons bar in Bay Ridge for rising artist Joseph Milazzo’s eye-opening exhibit on the unseen side of New Orleans.
• It’s a come-back story like no other this Saturday at Hank’s Saloon in Boerum Hill, where Norwegian blues group The Fabulous Flea Market Band will be riffing 12 bars for their terror-touched homeland.
• They say the best things in life are free (right, Marty?), and nowhere is that more true than in and around Prospect Park this Sunday, where Brooklyn’s greatest cultural instutions — including the Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanical Garden — will be open all day for the bargain price of zero dollars.
• Whiskey, please, with a shot of good karma! Brooklyn’s much-loved Barman’s Fund, held at the Vanderbilt bar in Prospect Heights, is back this Sunday to make sweet charity of your beer money. Where else does Happy Hour feed a soup kitchen full of hungry people?
• Lobster with your hot dog? How about pesto pasta and Goldfish crackers? Treat yourself to the borough’s award-winning frankfurters at your own cookout this weekend, thanks to the winners of last month’s Great Hot Dog Cook-off. You’ll need more than buns for these dogs, though: kimchi and pulled pork are a must.
• Italians? In Brooklyn? Fuggedaboutit! No joke, though — the city’s first Fiat dealership has moved into Bay Ridge, sporting those sporty little “500” cars for your parking convenience. So get a taste of the Mediterranean this weekend, and take one for a spin.