UPDATE: Third man dies after gruesome hammer attack at Sheepshead Bay restaurant

Charged: Authorities will likely upgrade previous charges against the suspect, seen here on gurney, to include three counts of murder following the second and third deaths, according to a spokesman for District Attorney Eric Gonzalez.
Photo by Paul Martinka

A third man died today due to injuries he sustained when a Brighton Beach man brutally bludgeoned him and two colleagues with a hammer inside a Sheepshead Bay restaurant last week, cops said.

Tsz Pun, 50, perished days after his 60-year-old co-worker, Thang Ng, died on Friday from injuries sustained in the gruesome attack, and a little more than a week after his 34-year-old colleague, Fufai Pun, died shortly after the incident occurred on Jan. 15. The two Puns, both from Sheepshead Bay, are an uncle and nephew, a Police Department spokesman said.

Cops arrested the 34-year-old suspect, whom a Police Department spokeswoman described as emotionally disturbed, on Jan. 16, charging him with murder and other counts. But authorities will likely upgrade his charges to three counts of murder following the second and third deaths, according to a spokesman for District Attorney Eric Gonzalez, who said the suspect has yet to be arraigned because he is still hospitalized in a psych ward.

The suspect allegedly walked into the Emmons Avenue Chinese eatery near E. 21st Street at 5:12 pm, and started attacking the three employees with the hammer unprovoked, the Police Department spokeswoman said.

Paramedics rushed all three to NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn following the horrific assault, where doctors immediately pronounced the younger Pun dead, and the elder Pun and Ng, who lived in Queens, later perished.

Officers with the 61st Precinct took the man into custody the night of the grisly attack, and the precinct’s commanding officer days later praised his staff’s quick response, promising locals that they are in safe hands.

“My cops did catch him, he’s arrested, it’s an isolated incident,” Deputy Inspector James King told this newspaper on Thursday. “I really can’t comment on it further at this time, because it’s an ongoing investigation, but I assure you they are safe.”

A witness to the gruesome double homicide described the scene as a bloodbath.

“There was one guy on the floor to the left of the front door, in a pool of blood,” said Anthony, who refused to give his last name.

The bystander said he held open the restaurant’s door for cops and paramedics as they rushed to the back of the eatery to help another victim.

“There was someone in the back of the restaurant, EMS ran to the back,” Anthony said.

The eyewitness caught the aftermath of the gruesome incident while visiting his son, who works nearby the eatery, he said.

“I’m just walking past the restaurant and a bunch of people are running around like crazy,” he said.

Reach reporter Kevin Duggan at (718) 260–2511 or by e-mail at kduggan@schnepsmedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @kduggan16.
Gruesome: Eyewitness Anthony captured disturbing footage of the scene, which he described as a “bloodbath.”

More from Around New York