Where’s our thanks?

for The Brooklyn Paper

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

The people that are calling the shots in Coney Island, they don’t have the right to call the shots. They know nothing about Coney Island.

Even Mayor Bloomberg — you think he and his family and his $17 billion come to Coney Island? I’ve never seen Valerio and his family here. If they did come to Coney Island, they would realize what Coney Island is about.

If I was going to go to the Museum of Natural History, and I was going to go inside and get rid of all the old stuff that people go there for and put new stuff in, that would automatically be stopped. So what makes Coney Island anything less than the Museum of Natural History, when the simple fact is, Coney Island’s been around for 125 years? And everything about Coney Island, from the Boardwalk they want to turn into cement, to the buildings that they are in the process of knocking down, they’re not keeping any of it? There’s room for everybody.

Bloomberg’s just one person — I have nothing personal against him, but not for nothing, he’s not a god. Here’s a guy who’s calling the shots, and he’s so out of touch with the world. How does this guy get to make the shots to change history? Why not put a new dress on the Statue of Liberty? Why not rename George Washington Bridge Bloomberg’s Bridge?

If I wanted to go to a new modern park, I would be going to Great Adventure, because they have one roller coaster that’s the size of Coney Island. The people that want that go there, and the people that like the old-school, old-time, laid-back parks came to Coney Island. It’s nice to give people choice. The reason the tourists came here, and what’s always made Coney Island the attraction it is, was to see a 125-year-old amusement park. And I know this first-hand because I’m there. But what’s it about now? What makes Coney Island different?

We’re given until Nov. 15 to get out. We weren’t told thank you, you’ve been getting people to Coney Island all these years. We didn’t even have a chance to say goodbye to our customers. We could have went out in style. We did nothing wrong to deserve this.

I’ll be the last one standing, one way or another. That’s the thing about me. The difference between winners and losers is losers accept losing, and winners don’t. I’ve been a winner my whole life, and I don’t plan on taking a loss so easily right now. I’m not in denial; if you beat me fair, I’m more than man enough to shake your hand and say good fight. But when I’m right, I’m also man enough to say go f— yourself.

Anthony Berlingieri, owns the Shoot The Freak booth, one of nine booted Boardwalk businesses.

Like Brooklyn Paper on Facebook.

sal from coney island says:
Anthony : I agree with you 110%. Marty is out for Marty.
In fact Marty markowitz is MIA , along with his cohort Councilman Recchia & Assemblyman Brook-Krasny.
These elected officals are just BUMs.

If I were you Anthony I would go to Marty's Business Breakfast on Thursday Nov. 18 at the Brooklyn Marriott for his so-called " Brooklyn Businesses " & give him Hell !

What BS he's throwing around. What does he think we were born yesterday !
Nov. 12, 2010, 12:55 pm
vinnie from brooklyn says:
funny, the caption by the picture says "now defunct
shoot the freak" i guess you did lose.

by the way beer island looked like a giant cat litter box.
nice work, good riddance.
Nov. 12, 2010, 4:17 pm
joey from gravesend says:
let them stay, they are coney island
Nov. 13, 2010, 10:17 pm
bklyn gal from brooklyn says:
I agree with you Anthony, where is Marty and why hasnt he tried to help all of you? He has to step up to the plate!
Nov. 15, 2010, 11:03 am
Dave from Park Slope says:
Marty's too busy stuffing his face at Shake Shack. Help the real Coney Island? FUHGEDDABOUDIT!
Nov. 15, 2010, 9:47 pm
Chris from Coney Island says:
Anthony they did beat you fair and square....you are a tenant whose lease is expired and the landlord requires the site for something else. Therefore they are not renewing your lease. It's bad business on the "8's" behalf on not having longer leases. I'm sure you all would not have been prepared to spend millions bringing your ——ty shack and over grown paintball allotment businesses up to scratch.
As it was they beat you anyway, they bulldozed your game overnight. You were told to be out by the 15th Nov and you were still there 38 days later, i think they should have bulldozed the whole 8.
Do like any other business in the world does that loses a premises, relocate. Its your own fault if you have a business that is not suitable to do that.

Oh and one last thing, you say they put everything that was "Shoot The Freak" in the dumpster......from what I saw it was a junkyard full of crap so it all whent were it belonged. They should send you a bill for garbage removal and clean up costs.
Dec. 24, 2010, 9:22 am