Makeshift 'protected' bike lane on Bergen Street

Cyclist’s makeshift bike lane barricade stops cops cars from blocking path

A vigilante cyclist jury-rigged a street barrier to keep cop cars from double-parking on a Prospect Heights bike lane.

Bike lane booster Ian Dutton set up half a dozen waist-high orange traffic cylinders alongside an often obstructed cycling route in front of the 78th Precinct stationhouse, creating a makeshift “protected lane” on Bergen Street near Flatbush Avenue, according to the transportation blog Streetsblog.com.

His do-it-yourself infrastructure disappeared last week then reappeared on Tuesday, causing a buzz among bikers who say the guerilla-style lane divider is a sign that cyclists feel vulnerable riding on the traffic-heavy stretch of street — and that cops ought to respect the rules of the road.

“It’s hard to use a lane if the NYPD is using it as a parking lot,” said cyclist Mitch Sonies.

“It could be because a prisoner needs to be taken in or a stray dog needs to be transported,” he said.

The Department of Transportation didn’t immediately return calls seeking comment on the unsanctioned streetscape change, which is reportedly made from construction posts left over from a Con-Edison project.

Nor did Dutton —a former Manhattan Community Board 2 member who lives on the street.

But bikers are cheering his creativity.

“I support what the bike lane vigilante did,” said cyclist Stephen Arthur. “It seems like the police might be under-educated about what the purpose of that bike lane is.”

This isn’t the first time rogue bicycle activists have made tweaks to a bike lane: North Brooklyn cycling boosters painted their own path for two-wheelers on Bedford Avenue after the city controversially removed a section of the bike lane in 2009.

Reach reporter Natalie O'Neill at noneill@cnglocal.com or by calling her at (718) 260-4505.

Other Michael from Park Slope says:
"A police spokesman said officers park in reserved spaces on Sixth Avenue side of the precinct and that cops only park in the bike lane when there’s no other option."

There is always another option. It is called FINDING A SPOT.
Aug. 2, 2012, 6:44 am
Or from Yellow Hook says:
Golly!

I wonder who will win this one!

Expect real enforcment of all the bike laws that apply to bikers

Self righteous genius!
Aug. 2, 2012, 6:50 am
mike from GP says:

Haha. NYPD, seriously, stop breaking the law, and stop with the lame excuses. We're tired of it.
Aug. 2, 2012, 7:12 am
SwampYankee from Ruined Pants says:
I just pooped my pants... again!
Aug. 2, 2012, 8:42 am
ty from pps says:
This really has very little to do with this particular bike lane or any bike lane for that matter... It's about the NYPD ignoring laws that they were charged to enforce.

How many times have you seen a patrol car edge through or even blow through an intersection because they couldn't be bothered to wait another 15 secs? Drive around a line of traffic? I haven't seen a directional signal flashing on a police car in perhaps a year... are those lights disconnected or perhaps that pinky finger motion with the left hand is a particular physical challenge for the NYPD? Double parking *next to an open spot* to get a coffee/snack?

There are much deeper problems with the NYPD related to community relations (vs. acting like counterinsurgency forces), but if they can't even *attempt* to follow basic traffic laws... How do they think they are going to get respect?? It is well past time that we see more police patrolling on bicycles and scooters... get out from behind that "windshield view" of the city.
Aug. 2, 2012, 8:50 am
lexie from bed stuy says:
It makes being at that light much safer! Thanks.
Aug. 2, 2012, 8:55 am
Aviv from brooklyn says:
I call BS on the police. I've seen cops park in the bike lane and then go get bagels across the street. If the 78 would like, I can bring my video camera to show exactly why they are parking in the bike lane.

There's no excuse for this.

Thank you to the person who is protecting us from the cops.
Aug. 2, 2012, 9:02 am
Aviv from brooklyn says:
This is also the same precinct that wrote zero speeding tickets in May and June. They have no respect for or understanding of the law as it applies to drivers and themselves.
Aug. 2, 2012, 9:06 am
Cindy from Prospect Heights says:
Either the law applies to cops or it doesn't. Enough with the excuses. Stop making my commute dangerous!
Aug. 2, 2012, 9:21 am
spot from 78th says:
A stray dog needs to be transported. Bring out the 78th precinct motorcade, Spot!
Aug. 2, 2012, 9:24 am
JC from Cobble Hill says:
Almost got hit next to the correctional facility at State and Smith by an unmarked police car pulling through a red light while I was clearly walking IN THE CROSSWALK. No lights, no siren, just blatant disregard of the laws they are supposed to enforce, so they don't have to wait the extra 10 seconds it would take for the light to turn green.

So I stopped, called them out. Driver apologizes and procedes to run the red anyway.

This is not unusual.
Aug. 2, 2012, 9:27 am
boof from brooklyn says:
If the cops need more parking, give them more on-street parking.

Even worse than parking in the bike lane is the parking on the sidewalk which occurs at this and virtually every precinct in the 5 boros.

Guess, what police? Setting a good example matters.
Aug. 2, 2012, 10:16 am
BrianVan from Gramercy says:
"Vigilante"

Well, it's not like this is violent behavior. So, try not to make the rest of the neighborhood feel threatened by them by using charged words and creating drama where there isn't any. The only drama here is how the cops don't get the hint... not from the DOT, not from the neighbors, and certainly not from the media since you happily let them off the hook for creating safety issues for cyclists for the sake of their own convenience. Ugh, "Stray dogs"... since when do cops take stray dogs to precinct houses? Did you hear that from Paul Browne, Professional Liar? Have some nerve and call him out on that. No one cares about your distaste for cyclists, do your job and report how the city screws us all over when they feel like it.
Aug. 2, 2012, 10:40 am
Mike says:
The NYPD cares more about stray dogs than about cyclists' lives. Color me unsurprised.
Aug. 2, 2012, 10:56 am
Girl cyclist from Park Slope says:
I regularly cycle and walk on this block, and I often see officers' PRIVATE vehicles parked in the bike lane. I know they are cops since I see them get out of their private vehicles. I also see many ordinary drivers use the bike lane as a "standing/stopping" area.

Either way, the bollards are very effective and prove a concept that a protected bike lane is a good idea for this block.
Aug. 2, 2012, 10:59 am
D from Bklyn says:
Direct your complaints to the precinct commander. Ask him if he thinks blocking entrances to playgrounds, parking on the sidewalk, and obstructing traffic is acceptable.

Captain Michael Ameri
78th Precinct
65 6th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11217
(718) 636-6411
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:03 am
Jim from Greenpoint says:
why are must of the bikers real nut cases with out a job????
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:09 am
Jim from Greenpoint says:
why are must of the bikers real nut cases with out a job????
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:09 am
Abe from Clinton Hill says:
Jim- you are damn right to many!!!... i a shame to say i ride a bike sometimes the problem they don't follow rules and regulation that's why people don't like them at all...
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:13 am
ty from pps says:
Jim - In what way does your dumb comment have any bearing on this situation?
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:15 am
D from Bklyn says:
Jim, posting a comment at 11:09 am is a great way to prove that you, and only you, have a job.

I ride this bike lane to my daughter's school in Park Slope and then to my job in Manhattan. I'd like it to be clear and safe for my daughter, me, and for all of the people who rely on it.

NYPD, please do your job.
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:19 am
ty from pps says:
I can't wait for Tal to "debunk" everyone. I don't think his mom lets him use the computer during the day, so we might have to wait.
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:40 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville says:
Once again, you expose the bike zealots agenda for what it really is than bow down to them.

Besides, the city has more important places where such money could be spent for such as helping keeping schools and hospitals open rather than something so unnecessary such as bike lanes, which are probably not even used as much.

As for those that continue to make personal attacks, I say shame one you.

The community board members didn't say that they were against adding more bike lanes, they were against the way cyclists tend to act. That is an inconvenient truth no matter how much some try to deny it.

In reality, bike lanes only seem to work in theory, but not in practice. There have been numerous reports of cyclists using them as their get out of traffic laws free card by constantly flouting them.

BTW, some of the outcries against such cyclists actually goes all the way back to the Koch administraition during the the 70's, so this is not something new here, plus he did renege on numerous bike lanes after hearing such concerns unlike Bloomberg, who constantly ignores whoever opposes him.

As much as I don't condone motorist who exceed the speed limit, some of your comment are just the usual anti-car rhetoric.

There are some places where having a police car stand most of the day cause problems for the residents. Some may consider that a police state.

Also, I find it an irony on those bike zealots to call for all motorists to follow ever letter of the law when they don't follow it themselves, so start with yourselves before going to others.

BTW, there are just as many cyclists who flout laws as well, but whenever there is a talk about that, you guys tend to cry foul on that, so now you know how us motorists feel.

Still, I find those who are speeding a lot to be a small number, plus when you jaywalk on busy street, you pretty much did put yourself into harm's way, and that is your own fault, not that of anyone else, so please obey the walk signal rather than crossing against it.

Personally, I think placing bike lanes on major thoroughfares is a bad idea. They can result in making traffic increase when it wasn't an issue there originally.

Also, I never saw why cyclists need special lanes for themselves when they would be more safer just following the traffic laws. Those residents have every right to be concerned especially on the fact that so many cyclists act as if the rules don't apply to them.

Keep in mind that streets that are regarded as major thoroughfares are called them because they are used a lot by vehicular traffic, not less.

I don't see what is wrong with putting parking spaces on that stretch. Besides, a number of parking spots have already been taken away throughout the city only to be replaced by rarely used bike lanes.

Then again, to some, anything that is good for us motorists is always bad your camp hence the anti-car bias that some of you constantly have.

Cyclists flout laws to, and they should also be cracked down on, so enough with the selective enforcement.

As for the number of accidents, I believe that as much as the anti-Israel crowd claims that Hamas aren't terrorists in the claim that they don't kill as much as the Mossad does despite the fact that they base everything on the effects only while ignoring the causes.
Aug. 2, 2012, 1:41 pm
Awesome! :-)
Aug. 2, 2012, 1:57 pm
Jacob from Clinton Hill says:
I guess all the cops parked on the sidewalk in my hood are constantly transporting prisoners and dogs as well. It appears they transport prisoners and dogs with squad cars as well as with their private cars and SUVs. They must be transporting hundreds of prisoners and dogs each day, millions each year, because there are always about 30 cars on the sidewalk and in the bike lane, day and night, which is a hell of a lot of prisoners to transport. All in the name of safety, right?
Aug. 2, 2012, 2:22 pm
Meryl from PH says:
And all of the private vehicles and vans blocking the entrance to the playground behind the 78...how many dogs and prisoners are they transporting? Shame on the spokesman who said that. Shame on him.
Aug. 2, 2012, 3:35 pm
Peter from Brooklyn Heights says:
But won't anyone think of the stray dogs? Anyone?

Classic.
Aug. 2, 2012, 4:02 pm
Talbot from Barzilaisoft says:
Thank you.
Aug. 2, 2012, 4:15 pm
Tal 9000 from Pleasantville.com says:
What are you doing, Dave?
Aug. 2, 2012, 4:42 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Nice impersonations ty.........NOT! I wasn't even at my computer until just now for today. Nevertheless, it's against the law for those cyclists to place those barriers. Only those on the DOT have the right to place anything on the street officially. Such act should not go unpunished. They wouldn't feel so vulnerable to heavy traffic if they just followed the rules rather than act as if they didn't apply to them. It's such an attitude that places them into harm's way to begin with. Once again, I thank Natalie for this great article and exposing the truth on these bike zealots.
Aug. 2, 2012, 5:04 pm
S from PPW says:
Yes, let's thank Natalie for exposing those zealots: the motorheads who park where it is illegal to park.

Thanks, Natalie! I really like the change in reporting tone at the Brooklyn Paper. Thank you for standing up for vulnerable street users and the law.

This "Tal" act is hilarious - the best satire on the web. Keep it up!
Aug. 2, 2012, 5:09 pm
Tal Barzilai from Plesant Poops says:
I just pooped my pants in suburban Westchester. Does anyone in Brooklyn care?
Aug. 2, 2012, 5:10 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
Good thing the cops won't hand out retaliatory fines by the dozens in the next few days. So the ass hat that did this will cause a ton of other cyclists to pay fines. If these guys could only keep their cycling speed above their IQ's Brooklyn would be a better place. Nice work Ty!
Aug. 2, 2012, 5:29 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
Tal, once Ty starts impersonating you you know that you have gotten under his thin skin. He is really into the poop thing so you have a pretty good idea at what age Ty's intellectual development stopped. Poop, tricycles, and little short pants.....just like the kids he likes to touch
Aug. 2, 2012, 5:44 pm
ty from pps says:
I wish I could impersonate Tal that effectively... I can't say that I've ever tried. His own stupid comments are really enough for me. But that "catalog" of Tal's standard responses was just brilliant.
Aug. 2, 2012, 6:22 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
It's probably S, because the impersonation came one minute after his comment, so he is also a good suspect.
Aug. 2, 2012, 7:13 pm
S from PPW says:
I can't write that well. This "Tal" is a genius.
Aug. 2, 2012, 7:53 pm
Rufus Leaking from BR says:
When you wake a tiger, use a long stick.
Aug. 3, 2012, 1:05 am
Heights from PH says:
What is wrong with the 78th?!?! Stop blocking traffic and outing people's safety at risk!!
Aug. 3, 2012, 6:29 am
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
I drove by last night (yes, Tal I drove). It looks like the cones are still there.
Aug. 3, 2012, 6:36 am
Jonny Hammersticks from Bay Ridge says:
This guy is cool because he puts unauthorized street markings up... Loser. This guy should be thrown in jail for using property that obviously doesnt belong to him and defacing a city street.

Get over yourselves. I forgot bicyclists never run lights or ride on sidewalks or go the wrong way. all you liberal hipster quifs should be thrown on an island somewhere, so you can't continue to pollute the rest of civilization.
Aug. 3, 2012, 8:18 am
nancy from coney says:
hey bikers are just as selfish as the rest of bklyn motorist they ride on side walk practically knocking you over they ride against traffic in the middle of streets blocking traffic and coming into cars causing danger to motorist. when i was growing up we had no bike lanes we rode with the flow of traffic what do these yuppies think they deserve special privilges they just as bad as the cops who drive like crazy people and act like jerks and look the other way when people in my neck of the woods park on sidewalks making their own driveways when thats illlegal the block the fire pump day and night causing a fire hazzard we have people that have driveways and park on street taking sspots away from people that dont have driveways they take up 2 spots when park and i can go on an on its so sad that bklynite have become a bunch of selfish self centered pigs that its f'''k everyone and its all me me me
Aug. 3, 2012, 9:15 am
Jim from Prospect Heights says:
There's 11 train lines at Atlantic Avenue. Commuter cops should take the train - like every other civil service employee. Walk around that station house and you will see all the cars parked illegally that get NO tickets because they have their personal ID in the window.

I guess that's too big a story for Brooklyn Papers to investigate. The go after the low-hanging fruit - not the real crooks and thugs in NYC.
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:36 am
Or from Yellow Hook says:
Parking for Police - it's in the contract - you could look it up.
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:04 am
Tom from Park Slope says:
Since you know it so well, Or, maybe you could quote it for us. But you can't since there's no such thing and you're talking out your ___ again. Or still. Like always.
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:11 am
ty from pps says:
I've seen several CARS driving on the sidewalk in my neighborhood because they didn't want to wait for a garbage truck. This wasn't an isolated occurrence.

Just sayin'
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:35 am
Chris from Bushwick says:
Tal, you really can't get through a rant about cyclists without throwing in a reference to Hamas, can you?

Go make those comparisons about things in Westchester, where people might actually care what you have to say. Because WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!
Aug. 3, 2012, 1:44 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I was very glad to see this letter to the editor on the NY Times about how cyclists tend to be behave, and the person who wrote this is a cyclist himself.

Aug. 3, 2012, 5:24 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Please take your stupid brain and go away.

What aspect of that letter reflects "how cyclists tend to be behave"???!! He's commenting about how SOME cyclists behave. Just like, ya know, how some people in Pleasantville are stupid. Not all. If I were to say, "It's better if the stupid people in Pleasantville would just focus on masturbating in their mom's basement instead of inflicting themselves on the fine people of Brooklyn," I'm not talking about ALL people in Pleasantville... not how people in Pleasantville "tend to be." I'm talking about ONE particularly stupid person -- YOU, Tal.
Aug. 3, 2012, 7:21 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I don't mind hearing from those who wish to disagree with me, but those that make personal attacks like the ones you are saying really do cross the line. In a debate, you do NOT attack the person, you just state facts and reasons to why you disagree. Just like all the bike zealots here (and probably on Streetsblog) you can't seem to take it when your side is being called out. At least I am giving links to where I got my information from unlike you and your friends who just keep on acting defensive or even hostile on this. I didn't call you stupid for your remarks nor did I insult you for where you live, but there is evidence you did that at me. The point of this article that Natalie so well covered is that this cyclists did something that was completely illegal because he wasn't authorized to do that. It's not as if those who oppose bike lanes are trying to paint over them to make sure that they no longer exist.
Aug. 3, 2012, 8:41 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- I wish you weren't stupid, ignorant and misguided... I really do. And I wish your mom would take away your computer.
Aug. 3, 2012, 9:55 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal said

"At least I am giving links to where I got my information"

Wow, do you even know where Bergen St is? Have you even drive past the 78th Precinct stationhouse?
Aug. 4, 2012, 5:07 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
I agree with Jim--there are plenty trains that come into Atlantic Terminal, both LIRR and subway, and it's not even a 5 minute walk from there to the precinct. If the officers live out at Far Rockaway or somewhere else along Flatbush, the 41 express bus makes pretty decent time, too. There's no reason they couldn't take mass transit like everyone else.
Aug. 4, 2012, 9:39 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
As to the argument that bike lanes create traffic, well, as a driver I can't say the introduction of bike lanes in my neighbourhood, which has relatively narrow streets, has made any difference to traffic at all. People double-parking has always been far more of an impediment to traffic flow than any bike lane has ever been.
Aug. 4, 2012, 9:44 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
Jonny Hammersticks, Bay Ridge does seem to excel at producing nancy boys who trash everyone in Brooklyn who doesn't conclude every sentence with ba-da-bing! or yo! or bro! Your suggestion of removing a population to an island does have the glimmer of promise, although I would say it would best apply to you, SwampYankee, Or, and Pat and that you ought remove yourselves from *this* island and get yourselves to the Jersey Shore on the mainland. They talk like you there, they think like you there. They hate all the right people. They probably even have local Dons whom you can beat up elderly and storekeepers for. You'd feel right at home.
Aug. 4, 2012, 9:53 am
Jen from Brooklyn says:
Ian Dutton is no vigilante.

In fact, he is an unabashed publicity seeker.

This publicity hound is constantly calling or sending in press releases to the media, whether streetsblog, the NY Times, local community newspapers and blogs, even CNN, to get some publicity to compensate for his low self-esteem and inabilities.

This instance is just one of many examples of his self-promotion, the only thing he has seemed to do well in, amidst a long list of failures.
Aug. 4, 2012, 3:20 pm
S from PPW says:
Ian Dutton has done more for his community as a community board member than most New Yorkers. Many streets in Manhattan are safer because of his work. Let's hope he can contribute as much to Brooklyn.
Aug. 4, 2012, 3:45 pm
Jen from Brooklyn says:
@3:45

I see you believe his press releases. How naive of you.
Don't believe the hype!

For instance, how could he have done much when he spends so much time making sure his skirt's garter belt doesn't snag his red stockings?
Aug. 4, 2012, 7:08 pm
Seriously Jen?

Fine, you don't like him... but you think providing a link to a Halloween costume photo makes you seem less immature... and gives us a reason to think anything you say should be respected?
Aug. 4, 2012, 7:27 pm
ty from pps says:
Sorry -- it's not a Halloween costume. He was "goth" ELEVEN YEARS AGO.
Aug. 4, 2012, 7:29 pm
DSR from Brooklyn says:
In his spare time Ian is still pretty goth. So, is his wife, who created a fantastic stoop garden in front of their new apartment on Bergen Street this summer. Ian is also a highly qualified international airline pilot and one of the smartest, nicest, most responsible, competent and community-minded individuals I know in all of New York City. I'm pretty sure that's more than "Jen from Brooklyn" can say for herself, whomever she is.
Aug. 4, 2012, 7:54 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
As usual, the bike zealots believe that their kind does no evil and overlook a lot of them while blasting motorists who flout the laws, which I normally condemn myself. I am sorry to say this, but Ian Dutton is no hero in my book. Anyone can give to charity especially the rich elite like Bruce Ratner himself to look good. Again, what he did was illegal. BTW, those using cones or even construction place to block something off is not something new, and this has been done by those trying to block off parking spaces on the streets that they will either charge to use them when they are supposed to be for free or to use their lots or garages. The point is that there is no justification to what he did, and he should be arrested or at least fined for this. On a side note, I have been here, especially when it came to going to events related to the AY, so you can't that I have never been here before.
Aug. 4, 2012, 9:48 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Do I have to talk to your mom and dad? I wonder if they even know how ignorant and dim their son is. I feel bad that they are stuck with you living in their basement... I bet they've given up hope that you'll ever be able to move out on your own.
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:25 pm
Jen from Brooklyn says:
Goth??? ROTFL
How about freak?

Eleven years ago??
How about currently?

You wanna talk "immature"? Fine. Let's talk immature:

Teenagers go goth. Ian is approaching middle-age. If you call anyone immature, point to him, still into teenage goth style at 40.
Teenagers do mischief, like moving Con Ed traffic cones on Halloween. This "adult" does Halloween tricks and dresses like it is Halloween all year round.
Then goes around telling everyone about, drawing attention to himself, in order to gain street creds and praise from naifs like you. LMAO

He is a no goth, he is a sexual fetishist, into BDSM.

Ask him to show you his sexy leather corset and his exposed nipple rings, spiked dog collar, and the leather mask around his mouth, like some kind of submissive slave. Will that convince you?

Anyway, this is your 'vigilante"? This is you 'hero'?

You make us all laugh.
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:38 pm
DSR from Brooklyn says:
"Jen from Brooklyn," a.k.a. Sean Sweeney of the SoHo Alliance.

"Jen:" No actual New Yorker gives even the slightest crap about whether or not a neighborhood livable streets advocate wears goth fashions in his spare time. This is New York City. How is this relevant? Who cares? This city is great because we don't judge people by their race, creed, sexual orientation or latex fetish.

You sound like some troglodyte from the deep south. And by deep south I mean Bensonhurst.
Aug. 4, 2012, 11:32 pm
Jen from Brooklyn says:
@DSR
"Jen from Brooklyn," a.k.a. Sean Sweeney of the SoHo Alliance."
Say what?

Anyway, I'm not from Bensonhurst.

But I am from Brooklyn and if you think "no actual New Yorker gives the slightest crap" about freaks in latex, how come Ian never strolls down the streets of New York dressed in his fetish regalia?
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:26 am
bkdude from bknyny11230 says:
yo! Tal&Ty? my boyz. you guys make this board
Aug. 5, 2012, 2:09 am
bkdude from bknyny11230 says:
Tal&ty FOREVER
Aug. 5, 2012, 2:09 am
Joe from Brooklyn Heights says:
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, you shouldn't knock bikers because they want to have a safe place to ride their bikes without getting flattened and killed by rude and careless motorists. There are plenty of bikers that abide by the rules of the road. The delivery boys from restaurants and bike messengers are the ones mostly that make everybody look bad because these are the guys that flout all the rules including going against traffic and riding on the sidewalk.
As for the cops, they should set an example for the community by parking the way they should without flouting the rules of the road. Or blocking the bike paths. If people see them making an effort to do the right thing, they will do so as well and get repect from the community to boot.
Aug. 5, 2012, 11:28 am
ty from pps says:
Joe -- There's not point. You're being too rational. Tal will just read your comment as an evil "bike zealot."

As you can read above, he "condemns" motorists who flout the traffic laws... but putting a few ConEd cones in the stripey part of the road deserves arrest and imprisonment. These are the sorts of ideas Tal has cultivated while living in his mom's basement in Pleasantville. Reality and rationality are not on the top of his list of priorities.
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:20 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Joe from Brooklyn Heights, I have never said I have hated cyclists, I just want them to act accordingly and responsibly rather than like some renegade group as some websites like Streetsblog tell them to do. If cyclists had just followed the rules, they wouldn't have so many problems today. If you really think that delivery boys and messengers give your kind such a bad name, then call them out rather than acting silent on it. Honestly, I do see bike lanes as a waste of space, and there are more important things that taxpayer dollars should be going to rather than this. Even a lot of cyclists see their own lanes as decorations and avoid them, which really makes them feel like a waste of money. Nevertheless, it doesn't excuse Mr Dutton for what he did especially when he is NOT authorized to do so. While I do agree that police shouldn't be blocking the lanes either, nobody should be turning a blind eye to what he does. For the record, I don't call every cyclist a bike zealot, just those that have actually attacked me here like what ty is saying right now. As for the mentioning of Sean Sweeney, I am glad that he had the nerves to come over to Streetsblog and debunk every claim those fanatics have aimed at him and putting them in their place, which makes him a hero to me.
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:51 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, stop with the impersonations already. That was obviously you because you posted a comment just a few minutes earlier.
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:56 pm
Aziz Washington from Bed Stuy says:
For a century, Brooklynites road their bikes throughout the city without ever needing or asking for a bike lane. Not until a bunch of spoiled, attention seeking, racist hipsters moved to NYC from their lily white holes, did bike riding become a cause celebre for the uptight, megalomaniacs polluting the city with their odor of arrogance, ineptude & impotence.
The poor wittle babies that need a bike lane continuously cry out for attention while simultaneously kicking minorities out of their homes & spearheading an unprecedented army of cops stopping & frisking innocent young black men who have the nerve to reside in areas that the hipsters have claimed to be their neighborhoods. When will the black community wake up & realize that these white, interloping yuppie hipsters are segregators determined to willfully expunge all people of color from our city so that they can ride their bikes with little baskets to carry the vegetables that they grow in soil laced with the blood, sweat & tears of African Americans.
Unfortunately, these disgraceful maggots, with their lensless black framed glasses, cans of PBR & unsanitary hygiene continue to hang nooses around the necks of the poor in their shameless attempt to be relevant, in a world that completely ignores them & dismisses their antics.
For shame.
Aug. 5, 2012, 2:32 pm
Robert from Crown Heights says:
Wow -- looks like someone has decided to get on the race baiting victim train this afternoon!

Yes, nothing has changed in New York City in a century. The fact that the population of Brooklyn has almost doubled in the last 100 years is probably meaningless. Right?

So, only "spoiled, attention seeking, racist hipsters" ride bicycles? No African-Americans enjoy or have benefited from the expanding bicycling network on the streets?

And growing vegetables is an expression of racism?! What about eating them? I don't grow my own vegetables, but I want to know what side I'm on the next time I have some broccoli.
Aug. 5, 2012, 2:53 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Today's letter in the Daily News by Susan Freeman states on cyclists continue to flout the laws and there is next to no enforcement on that.

Aug. 5, 2012, 5:21 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I could not have posted that because it would just reinforce how stupid I am. I mean really, a dumb note by some whiny woman in Manhattan about some obnoxious lady riding her bike on the sidewalk -- that's just pointless. How could I possibly think that supports any argument about bicycles?
Aug. 5, 2012, 5:40 pm
DSR from Brooklyn says:
Aziz:

Just taking your idiotic, racist rant at face value... you have no idea what you are talking about. Brooklynites have been demanding bike lanes for more than 100 years.

The city's first bike path was built on Ocean Parkway in 1894.

The South Brooklyn Wheelmen and various other Wheelmen's clubs were some of Brooklyn's most powerful and enthusiastic interest groups in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Roads were paved because of them.
Aug. 5, 2012, 5:42 pm
TT from PS says:
It's amazing how people critize the cops for not following the traffic rules when they don't even follow it themselves. Do cyclists think they own the city? Do they think they are above the law? Do not point fingers at others when you yourselves are guilty of not following traffic rules! Practice what you preach for once!
Aug. 5, 2012, 6:51 pm
ty from pps says:
TT -- are you related to Tal? Your lack of basic reasoning ability suggests that perhaps you are a relative.
Aug. 5, 2012, 7:28 pm
Aziz Washington from Bed Stuy says:
DSR, I'm sure we are all really impressed that you googled Brooklyn & decided to spout off on a self-important quest to say something meaningful. The fact of the matter is that by you have exposed yourself to be exactly the swill that permeates through our streets like a decomposing cat in 110 degree heat. Go blog about your feelings to others of your ilk, no grown ups want to hear your drivel.

Tal, true, the population has grown, but unfortunately prejudiced, African-American hating junior klansmen voices like yours, gesticulate like the whining of a piglet rolling around in it's own manure.
Aug. 5, 2012, 7:34 pm
TT from PS says:
Ty your response really shows how elaborate your complex reasoning skills. I have the right to voice my opinion just as much as anyone here. I guess I must have a pitched a nerve. Guess you must be one of those cyclists that absolutely follows every traffic rule! What a model citizen you are (applauding)!
Aug. 5, 2012, 8:26 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
DSR, who probably just impersonated after giving that link because his comment was just minutes after, if bicycles are really a serious form a transportation, that would have been the case since they were first introduced. Even back in the late 19th century, they were seen as nothing more than recreation that even horses, that were becoming obsolete to trains and cars, had more of a use than they did. Honestly, many have given cyclists the benefit of the doubt for decades. As a matter of fact, the concerns for such cyclists who flout the law go all the way back to when Ed Koch was mayor and he rescinded on numerous protected bike lanes after hearing all the outcries. Overall, I just don't find bike zealots to have any moral legitimacy when they tell everyone else to follow the rules when they aren't following them themselves. As for Aziz, I won't say that they are racist, but they do cause the prices to rise that tend to pricing out those that have been living for generations, and I would rather have a neighborhood that isn't run of the mill with the same kind of families as well as having so many chains and corporations dominating the place.
Aug. 5, 2012, 8:33 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- You are a paranoid son of a gun, aren't you? No wonder you live in your mom's basement.

That said, in what dumb fantasy world has bicycling and walking ever had the same role as a horse and WAGON, a train/trolley/bus/subway or a truck?

How much does it cost to own a car vs. own a bike? In other words, Which form of transportation has a lower cost threshold for participation? Since you are so worried about the residents of Brooklyn (from your golfcourse adjacent bedroom in your mom's house an hour away from the city), why do you hate poor people? When a metro card is $104 per MONTH and you can buy a decent bike for that and have it forever...

My upstairs neighbor is Jamaican (about 40 years old) and uses his bike... an old Huffy... as his primary form of transportation. Should I tell him that he's a bike zealot and his bike is "not a serious form of transportation" and only for "hipsters"? He should probably buy a car and drive, right? That's probably the best plan for a city of 8.5 million people.

Aug. 5, 2012, 10:25 pm
ty from pps says:
From one of the evil "bike zealot" organizations...

Aug. 5, 2012, 10:32 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Aziz, you're way off the mark. A bike lane is about the most democratic way to travel, barring walking. Doesn't matter if you're on a $10 used 10-speed or a top-end competition bike, you can still ride safely in a protected bike lane. And when I ride I see people of every age and race in the bike lanes. Bike lanes are not a tool of segregation or gentrification or anything else; they're just another way to get around and one that's enjoyable and convenient.

Conflating bike lanes with stop-and-frisk and racism and the whole basket of your other hobgoblins is strange. Blaming hipsters for all of it is stranger, because hipsters would be the first to take your side on all those issues. I like to chuckle at the more extreme hipsters as much as the next guy, but they're far too harmless to blame for all the injustice you feel.
Aug. 5, 2012, 11:16 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
Ty, bless you for doing daily battle with the trolls. You are indefatigable. I always enjoy the way you spar with Tal, even though it's not really a fair fight because he's mentally ill and his powers depend on how recently he remembered to take his meds.

But today is special. Aziz has out-trolled Tal. "African-American hating junior klansmen?" That's a left hook that's going to have our favorite pal from Pleasantville spinning for days.

Aziz, my hat is off to you. If there was an Emmy for uber-troll of the year, you'd win it hands-down. Nicely done!
Aug. 5, 2012, 11:27 pm
Aziz Washington from Bed Stuy says:
Scott, because I can't take seriously anyone named Scot or anyone residing in Park Dopes, I must admit I inadvertently mentioned "Tal", when I actually meant the hipster from Crown heights, my bad.

With that said, a bottom feeding bristleworm, such as yourself, has a deeply divided conscience about whether to awash your pitiful being in self congratulatory liberal hipness or unmask your true feelings of disgust towards the African American men that your wive stalks at the basketball courts. I'm sure your flaccid, little, white, q-tip sized penis is the origin of your contempt for minorities, but you can always bask in your delusional self importance by blogging about it to other leeches who subscribe to your comical ineptness & impotent drivel. Now, go grab some vegamite and and secure your tampon.
Aug. 6, 2012, 1:42 am
ty from pps says:
Aziz -- Your counter argument is penis size? Really?
Aug. 6, 2012, 7:56 am
Robert from Crown Heights says:
Aziz -- You never told me if eating spinach last night was racist.
Aug. 6, 2012, 8:46 am
Jen from brooklyn says:
We all love die hipster!

Too bad the Spandex Nazis here don't get it.

But to get "it" - to know Brooklyn - one must be from Brooklyn, (or at least have lived here longer than you lived in your state college dorm), not from the cul-de-sacs from where these fry were spawned.
Aug. 6, 2012, 1:17 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I couldn't care less on your neighbor using a bicycle. I don't even care what my neighbors do where I live. As usual, you and your bike zealot try to push what Dutton does under the rug and blame everyone else. If this guy wasn't riding a bicycle, you would all be shouting for him to be burned to the stake. I would really love to see where he had the right to do such an act. According to the laws, only the DOT has the right to create such lanes, not the individual. Then again, according to the bike zealots, all cyclists speak, see, or do no evil, while only motorists are the bad guys. No wonder why Streetsblog has so many enemies rather than allies, and it's especially because such a kind dominates. As for Biking Rules, Transportation Alternatives doesn't seem to promote that much, and has pretty much acted silent when there was an outcry on so many law breaking cyclists. The only time they ever bring this is up is probably when the media is watching them, otherwise they won't say anything.
Aug. 6, 2012, 2:25 pm
ty from pps says:
WOWZER! You are seriously undermedicated, Tal. I think I will call you mom. I don't think you should be left alone.
Aug. 6, 2012, 3:36 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, the bottom line here is that two wrong don't make a right, and I mean that on both sides, not just one as you and your friends do.
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:29 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- No, the bottom line is that you are a stupid stupid person who lives in his mom's basement.
Aug. 7, 2012, 7:18 pm
Freddy from Red Hook says:
Ty:
I've been following the exchange between you and Tal B for several days, quietly.

I must say. Tal is reasonable and makes good points.

However, all you respond with is insults and no real arguments.
What else can we expect from a cycling fanatic, I suppose.

Don't respond, because I am not going to be dragged into this debate.

But, know that you are one sorely pathetic individual that makes most NYers feel the same way about all cyclists.
Aug. 8, 2012, 10:29 am
Chris from Bushwick says:
Freddy,

Tal is not from this neighborhood. He's never willing to even acknowledge the fact that the same safety improvements he rails against have been proven to save lives for everyone - drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians. He ignores facts and statistics and bases nearly all of his own complaints about cycling in observation - not data. When confronted with real data that disproves his arguments, he refutes it with a claim of some conspiracy between cycling supporters and the NYC DOT. And worst of all, regularly draws comparisons between cyclists and supporters of Hamas.

That's why his comments should never be taken seriously.

I don't like the constant badgering and name-calling, but when someone like Tal refuses to engage in a factual discussion after years of trying (seriously, YEARS - look back through comments on this site), there's no reason to ever take his comments seriously.
Aug. 8, 2012, 1:20 pm
Freddy from Red Hook says:
Well, stats can be thrown about to prove anything. In fact, I know a consultant who makes a nice living producing any statistic a client desires.

I take Tal's comments seriously, for they appear more reasonable than, say, Ty from pps.

One stat that Manhattan boro prez Scott Stringer produced in a study showed that most cyclists disobey basic traffic laws.

I think that is what Tal is stating. Most cyclists are rogue cyclists. And you don't need a study to know that. Common observation demonstrates that.

It is this illegality that aggravates the non-cycling public, including Tal.

Moreover, if you don't think there is collusion between DOT and TransAlt, I have a bridge to sell you.

So, if the cycling lobby has to resort to name-calling for someone they disagree with, this is not surprising, since they cannot refute what Tal is saying and what many opinion polls agree with.
Aug. 8, 2012, 10:01 pm
Chris from Bushwick says:
Freddy,

Did you even read the Stringer report? Apparently not, because it does not say "most cyclists disobey traffic laws." In fact, the largest infraction that the study observed was pedestrians walking illegally in bike lanes. The second largest infraction was cars illegally parked in bike lanes. The report made no recommendations about better enforcement of scofflaw cyclists, in fact. It did, however, suggest stepped up enforcement of bike lane blockages - something that this very article is about.

And what opinion polls are you talking about? A few angry Internet commenters on the fridges of either side of this argument do not represent the opinions of New York as a whole. A majority of New Yorkers have shown in several Quinnipiac polls that they support bike lanes.

Everything you've just said, just like Tal, has been a complete mischaracterization of the truth. No wonder you're defending him - you're just as bad as him.
Aug. 10, 2012, 11:30 am
Freddy from Red Hook says:
Chris:
Correction. I had meant to say that it was the CUNY report that exposed the hitherto unreported plague of rogue cyclists injuring pedestrians, not Stringer. If you forgive me for that, I'll forgive you for constantly running red lights on your bike.

Secondly, I never mentioned anything about DOT ENGINEERS, did I? What are you concocting?
I simply said DOT.
Your Reading Comprehension skills are not up to the level of your handlebars, are they?

Moreover, I don't THINK there is collusion between DOT and TA, my snotty little hipster, I KNOW there is.
How?

I happen to be related to Ti-Hua Chan, veteran investigative TV reporter, whose been broadcasting in NYC for years, long before you ever set foot in this great city.

At dinner a few years ago, he told us that he was doing a report on a controversy in Chinatown over a bike lane that DOT had installed there. So, as is normal in the news profession, he called up DOT's press office for comment.

DOT said they had no comment on the new bike lane, but - get this - DOT's spokesman told him to contact TransAlt if he needed information on the bike lane!!!

He was shocked, saying that was the first time in his long career that a city agency referred him to a lobbying group. Ti-hua got DOT's number. Someday, as you grow wiser, you may also.

Moreover, DOT - at it highest levels - is now infested with former TA personnel. Right? And you think there is no collusion, my poor little naif?

So, get that roll of tin foil you referred to and shove it up your spandex-lined rectum.

Finally, a majority support bike lanes? What you talking about? Verbatim from the latest (May, 2012) Quinnipiac: "voters say 51 - 45 percent they do not want more bike lanes in their neighborhood."

A small majority may want it in OTHER people's neighborhood, but not a much larger majority don't want bike lanes in THEIR neighborhood. NIMBYism at its worse!

So, stop spouting the nonsense that you have the truth and stop judging others, because self-righteous zealots like you are ignored by most of us, and respected even less.
Aug. 11, 2012, 9:44 am
Freddy from Red Hook says:
Chris writes yesterday:
"If you think there's collusion between DOT's traffic engineers and Transportation Alternatives when data is collected, I'll let you keep your tinfoil hat, thanks."

The NY Times writes today:
"When these initiatives (bike lanes, ped plazas, etc.) sparked a backlash, the city called upon Transportation Alternatives to rally supporters to beat it back, Mr. White said... Some New Yorkers continue to bristle at this close relationship."

The head of TA admits that there is collusion between the City and TA!

This is like when the peace protestors were protesting against Nixon and the Vietnam War, Nixon brought in hard hats to kick the sh*t out of them; or when Hilter wanted the SA removed, he brought in the SS; or the Zetas (off-duty cops) in Mexico being brought in by the drug cartels to do their dirty work.

There is something very fascistic about how Bloomberg and JSK bring in outsiders to do their dirty work against the opposition, isn't there, Chris?
But you probably are a big supporter of Bloomberg, JSK and their fascistic power games, aren't you, Chris? After all, guys who jump in and dump on others with differing opinions like Tal's are all part of that bullying, fascistic mindset.

So, as I said before, get that roll of tin foil you referenced earlier and put it as far up as it will go.
Goodness knows, you have to maintain good posture as you traverse the city with that little machine between your legs.
Aug. 11, 2012, 6:42 pm
Freddy from Red Hook says:
Chris writes yesterday:

The NY Times writes today:

The head of TA admits that there is collusion between the City and TA!

Aug. 11, 2012, 6:42 pm
Person from NYC says:
If Transportation Alternatives weren't talking to NYC DOT on a regular weekly basis they wouldn't be doing their job.

If NYC DOT weren't listening and responding to T.A.'s constituency on a regular basis, they wouldn't be doing their job either.

It's called "advocacy" or "interest group politics" or "lobbying." It's also known as "democracy."

If Freddy wants "fascism" he can find that in plenty of places where groups like T.A. and responsive government agencies like NYC don't exist.
Aug. 16, 2012, 2:06 pm