Return this Jedi’s lightsaber!

The force is no longer with him.

Jedi Master Flynn Michael is searching the galaxy far and wide for his stolen lightsaber — and you, Brooklyn Paper readers, may be his only hope.

The Bedford-Stuyvesant engineer was at a Myrtle Avenue bar last fall when a thief snatched what Obi-Wan Kenobi once described as “an elegant weapon for a more civilized age” — a $400 custom sword Michael used to teach young Jedi honor and self-esteem.

“Who steals somebody’s lightsaber? It’s like stealing someone’s toy out of the sandbox,” said Michael, the founder of New York Jedi, a stage combat performance group. “I finally got my uber custom saber, and then some jerk walks out with it.

“I guess that’s the joke — some Jedi I turned out to be,” he said.

On Sept. 22, Brooklyn’s own Obi-Wan met some padawans at Project Parlor and set his saber beneath the bar. A few hours later, at about 2:13 am, a bearded dark lord grabbed it and fled, according to Michael.

The Jedi says he caught the phantom menace on a security camera, but didn’t go to cops, saying that police reports would be useless. Instead, he put up about a dozen flyers along Myrtle Avenue with the alleged crook’s photo, imploring him to return the flashy light saber.

Then, in December, Michael stood face-to-face with the dark side when the suspected Sith returned to the bar.

But, alas, the scruffy-looking nerf-herder denied taking the blade.

Fellow Jedi were stunned by the gravity of the crime.

“Who the f--k steals a lightsaber?” said Tyler Welsek. “And from the bar Flynn goes to all the time? He’s known there.”

In “Star Wars” lore, a Jedi builds his own laser sword so it is as unique as its owner. Michael crafted his brand for the character of a Tibetan Jedi, using an orange laser and a hilt with drawings of two Tibetan foo dogs and a lotus.

“It was perfect,” he said. “It really reflected my performance style.”

Michael — a self-proclaimed “Star Wars” dork — founded New York Jedi seven years ago with a few fellow saber-masters. There’s no formal Jedi training school, but most members have backgrounds in acting, Kung-Fu, Jiu-Jitsu and ballet.

Every Thursday night, a different Jedi Master leads a class at DANY Studios on 38th Street and Eighth Avenue in Manhattan, but the classes focus on stage combat rather than self-defense — so don’t expect Michael to use (physical) force.

Instead, Michael hopes the thief will decide to return the lightsaber, but until he does the Jedi will be “Hands Solo,” borrowing sabers from pals and using a cobbled-together blade that doesn’t even light up.

“I’m waiting on his conscience to get to him,” said the Jedi Master, who is offering a $100 reward for the lightsaber. “We’re teaching people how to be heroes, and I need it back.”

Anyone with information on the alleged thief, who witnesses described as a bearded man in a button-down shirt and slacks, can contact Flynn at

Reach Kate Briquelet at or by calling her at (718) 260-2511.

Dave from Park Slope says:
Um, why doesn't he just use The Force?

Seriously, you guys waste this much space on this nonsense while failing to cover important aspects of Atlantic Yards, political corruption, etc.? And can't even discern between "conscious" and "conscience?"

Feb. 7, 2012, 8:01 am
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Ever hear of "first-World" problems? Well this is a Hipster problem. Why not let Gothamist deal with the hipster problems?
Feb. 7, 2012, 8:14 am
JudahSpechal from BedStuy says:
Feb. 7, 2012, 9:06 am
bill from clinton hill says:
@ Dave. who can't discern between conscience and conscious? you, you can't. The word was used correctly in the article
Feb. 7, 2012, 9:45 am
Bud Swanson from Bed Stuy says:
This is a very interesting and entertaining story which I enjoyed very much.
Feb. 7, 2012, 10:10 am
Clyde from Carroll Gardens says:
I'm with SwampYankee. This is twee hispter nonsense. Let Gothamist deal with it. When I read that this jackass uses his light saber "to teach young Jedi honor and self-esteem," I thought I was going to die laughing.
Feb. 7, 2012, 10:21 am
Nerd Herder from Bushwick says:
I had no idea a group like that existed. And I kind of want to join it. Haters are more than welcome to ride their silly high horses, I'm sure they're special people in their own right.
Feb. 7, 2012, 10:58 am
maria from greenpoint says:
dumbest article I have read in a long time. Very stupid and not funny at all. Did he call the cops or just run to this site to pitch a pathetic excuse of an idea for a "quirky" article?
Feb. 7, 2012, 11:05 am
Mark from Sharpsburg says:
Great article!
Feb. 7, 2012, 11:14 am
Or from Yellow Hook says:
His mom took it.

She said it was time to grow up, if you were old enough to drink in a bar, you are old enough to take care of your toys.

She sold it at a yard sale for $3. The guy who bought it said he was going to take the batteries out and throw the rest away.
Feb. 7, 2012, 11:57 am
Melissa from UES says:
To those posting negatively without thinking: Consider how one defines art and sentimental attachment. Flynn spent years perfecting his lightsaber, something he holds in the highest regard, due to both his own martial training, background in meditation (and therefore how he relates to the fictional story of Jedi), and his continued dedication to teaching. "Teaching young Jedi honor and self-esteem", that part is absolutely real. I have been a member of the New York Jedi for over four years now. I came in with NO sword experience and now have developed athleticism and stage combat skills that have gotten me MANY roles for stage as well as a currently filming webseries.

I was lucky enough to come in being at least relatively thin and in-shape as well as not having stage fright, having been acting since I was very young. Not true for many of our members, who have, since joining, lost weight (some to the tune of over 60 pounds) as well as develop confidence for performing which then turns around and becomes a confidence on the mainstage of life. So mocking Flynn for his sadness and frustration at the loss of his lightsaber (and, being a leader, it makes sense to have one of the best weapons in the group, as we look to him) is completely disregarding the good he does.

And if you still doubt us, please come to a class, we always welcome new people! Thursdays, 7:30-9:30, Dance Art New York Studios, 38th St. b/t 8th and 9th. $10 a class to cover cost of studio and group expenses.
Feb. 7, 2012, 12:14 pm
DJ Also Special Guest from williamsburg says:
cmon people wheres the jedi love?

we're all fighting on the side of good here.

think its great!
Feb. 7, 2012, 12:19 pm
Sara from Northside says:
While some people have taken issue with this charming article, I found it to be well written and a nice break from all the heavy issues we are bombarded with daily. I hope the Jedi finds his light saber so he can continue being a positive force in our society.
Feb. 7, 2012, 12:25 pm
Virgil from Williamsburg says:
Oh please. A bunch of man-child hipsters and spoiled kids who felt picked on in school who have too much money and not enough social skills does not equal legitimacy, let alone deserve respect. Pity, maybe. Respect, no. If someone is that careless and irresponsible with something that is so precious to them, then they're a moron and deserve to learn their lessons the hard way. If you want some sympathy or respect, try and do something worthwhile with your life, like helping those who weren't born with a trust fund.
Feb. 7, 2012, 12:29 pm
Steveo from BuddaBing says:
The force is not with him.
Feb. 7, 2012, 12:35 pm
Jason from Queens says:
Agreeing with Melissa above... I am a member of the group as well, and she is dead on and absolutely right. This is not the only thing that the thief has taken away however. By his actions, he hasn't just hurt Flynn and the group he teaches lightsaber tactics too. We use these lightsabers and the tactics we learn to entertain people, especially large groups of kids multiple times a year. This includes but is not limited to comic conventions, the NYC lightsaber battle, many youtube videos, off broadway shows, etc. Some of our guys have been known to even do birthday parties.

The guy who stole Flynn's saber didn't just hurt Flynn, but every single person who NY Jedi's performances have inspired, affected, touched, etc. It isn't just a toy, it isn't just a fantasy. It is a tool, used to inspire and entertain people. Imagine a sunday at NY Comic Con, where we have 100 kids on stage, and having to tell just ONE the following "I'm sorry, but we dont have anymore sabers" just because someone stole ONE saber. It'd be heartbreaking.
Feb. 7, 2012, 12:42 pm
K. from Arkady says:
This is a hilarious story, I'm not sure why we need to wallow in the misery so much. This Flynn guy needs to screw what little balls he might have on tighter and get his fake penis back. If he does, perhaps the real one will grow a little bit. Stealing the thing is so old-skool NYC, I love it.
Feb. 7, 2012, 1 pm
CP from GP from GP says:
To the haters:

This article was hilarious. Sometimes you need something funny to read instead of all the BIG ISSUES. It also may be corny to read, but it is the appropriate way to go about this silliness.

Have some fun and stop being a bunch of wieners.

Feb. 7, 2012, 1:03 pm
Mr.Beefy from Windsor On. says:
This is the worst crime since the destruction of Alderaan.

The thief should be fed to the sarlacc.
Feb. 7, 2012, 1:15 pm
Malembi from BK says:
Feb. 7, 2012, 1:27 pm
K. from ArKady says:
Insert cheesy star wars joke below.
Feb. 7, 2012, 2 pm
Miss J from Bensonhurst says:
This was worth writing about??

He refuses to go to the police but instead puts up flyers as if it's a lost dog?

If the item is that valuable, then maybe you should think twice before taking it to a bar? Let's be realistic, even if you're a huge enough fan to run such a venture, bringing a $400 item to a bar and putting somewhere out of sight is just asking for it to be stolen. In case you forgot, Bed Stuy is still very much the hood.

I've lived here my entire life and only had something stolen from me once, and that was due to my own stupidity, just like the case is here. He had it stolen due to his own stupidity. I have no sympathy here.
Feb. 7, 2012, 2 pm
Rich from California says:
I liked the story. I feel for the guy who lost his saber. I am glad he is taking his plight to the net and to the public. The police do have higher priorities to attend to. I am a martial artist myself and have the highest respect for people who teach the lessons of martial arts, even if it is in the light of entertainment.

Good luck, hope you get your saber back! Keep working with the community, the community needs it.
Feb. 7, 2012, 2:10 pm
Harold from East Village says:
Thanks for this peek into the Tibetan Jedi's fun passion!
It's nice to think of all the interesting hobbies hiding in the minds at your average bar.
Too bad about his light saber but the next one he makes will probably be even better.
Feb. 7, 2012, 2:11 pm
Malembi from BK says:
A dildo. He should use a dildo. ——in stupid article. You people suck.
Feb. 7, 2012, 2:37 pm
Harper from Brooklyn says:
Virgil from Williamsburg:
Sorry, most of the NYJedi don't have trust funds. And they're less hipsters and more geeks. A lot of them don't have tons of disposable income. Flynn had some at one point, and used it to get a custom saber - which, by the way, is a work of custom art - as a way of expressing his personal style.

Flynn here - who I have met more than once - is a good guy who uses the NYJedi group to teach acting, stage combat & improv performance. And the NYJedi do charity work on occasion - you know, something worthwhile that helps people that weren't born with a trust fund. At least it's better than spending all their time being a whiny Internet Tough Guy like you.

But go ahead & judge people you've never met, make wild assumptions, and act like someone stealing another's personal property is funny. Apathetic jerks like you are the reason NYC has such a negative image with the rest of the country.
Feb. 7, 2012, 3:36 pm
Malembi from BK says:
Feb. 7, 2012, 3:52 pm
John B from New York says:
To the haters:

Why don't you tell us about the thing you do that you derive pleasure from so we can have a go at you? Do you instruct others in your hobby so that you can be a positive force for other people? Do you build people up and give them a sense of community with like minded people? No. All you do is spit bile while you hide behind a computer judging people you have never met and have no idea about. You're quite pathetic.
Feb. 7, 2012, 4:10 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
You folks do realize that Star Wars was just a movie, right?
Feb. 7, 2012, 4:15 pm
Cannibal from Rhode Island says:
I love all of the BS posturing about Flynn needing to grow up. No doubt most of these comments are being made by guys who still worship sports figures like they did when they still clung to their mothers skirts. Maybe someone should tell them that baseball is just a game and that they should grow up.
Feb. 7, 2012, 4:16 pm
Andi from Brooklyn says:
SO let get this straight, Flynn was at a bar where he is well known with his friends. Yet no one saw anything. Not one of his friends has a clue who could have stolen it. It's not like someone could put a toy like that in their back pocket and walk out of a bar, without anyone noticing it. Personally, I think he's lying. He most likely was drunk and lost his toy.
Feb. 7, 2012, 4:25 pm
K. from ArKady says:
So when you cornered the guy, was he all like "I'm not the neck beard you are looking for" and you all were like "He's not the neck beard we are looking for."

Maybe you should be training with that guy, eh?
Feb. 7, 2012, 4:35 pm
Flynn from Bed Stuy says:
Hi, I'm that idiot Flynn.

To all the supporters, THANK YOU! To all the haters, yeah, I've never heard any of that before, but you really make me laugh, so THANK YOU TOO!

To answer some questions for you all:

YES - I do bring my $400 saber to bars. Laugh all you want, chics dig the saber. It is that cool, and so am I.

NO - I didn't leave it alone haphazardly, I had left it with some people I know from the bar, and in they're own not-really-concerned way were not fully watching it when it went walking. My bad, I'll admit it. And they apologized too. But mommy did not sell it for $3.

COPS - reporting it would have been a waste of time. They have better things to do, like write tickets for riding a bike on the sidewalk.

TEACHING - YES, it's fun to watch someone grow and learn about themselves by playing with a fantasmical toy. I don't care what you think, it still works.

Oh, and just because I can use a light saber does not mean I'm a loser, no girlfriend, trust fund suckin hipster. It means I can kick your butt with a shiney toy, and entertain people while doing it. :)

Feb. 7, 2012, 4:55 pm
Malembi from BK says:
Yeah you're real cool.
Feb. 7, 2012, 5:34 pm
K. from ArKady says:
That last claim is somewhat undercut by the fact that neck beard stole your magical toad-sticker and he's holding it over your head going "Nyah nyah nyah nyah". Perhaps Life is trying to teach you something here, outside the Star Wars universe. Best pay attention.
Feb. 7, 2012, 5:44 pm
sledgehammer from BK says:
Agree 100% with Swamp Yankee: Star Wars was A MOVIE, people, get over it.
Feb. 7, 2012, 6:22 pm
Jason from Queens says:
Just confirming what Flynn said above... The lightsaber is a HELL of an icebreaker. Every member of NY Jedi has had girls caught like a deer stuck in headlights. We call it the bugzapper effect.
Feb. 7, 2012, 6:47 pm
Dave from Park Slope says:
@bill from Clinton Hill,

They changed "conscious" to "conscience" after I pointed it out, "douchebag."
Feb. 7, 2012, 8:48 pm
Russ from Harrisburg says:
People who insult people on the internet are cowards who can't deal with their real problems, so they feel better about themselves by attacking others through the safety and anonymity of the internet. Good job, kids! You said something mean on the internet!
Feb. 7, 2012, 9:49 pm
Kim in DC from Brookland DC says:
Someone once said that growing up doesn't mean giving up what you thought was cool when you were a kid - it means getting people to pay you to do what you thought was cool when you were a kid. Flynn's got that in spades. You wouldn't tell Tony Hawk to stop skateboarding because he's fortysomething, same thing here. (Also, hey Cannibal!)
Feb. 7, 2012, 11:12 pm
MissJ from Bensonhurst says:
Have you tried Ebay or Craigslist yet to see if someone is trying to sell it there?

That would be my first guess.
Feb. 8, 2012, 12:36 am
Skellatosis from FG says:
Wow talk about lame. Grow up boys.
Feb. 8, 2012, 6:28 am
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
Flynn from Bed-Sty
Light saber in a bar, neck beard, ——ing about cops writing tickets to cyclists. Hipster bonus level 100 unlocked! And you wonder why people born in Brooklun hate all of you transplants. This may be cool in Ohio, but it makes you look like an utter tool in the big city. Someday your kids will find this story, and then they will know that there father is not really a man.
Feb. 8, 2012, 8:07 am
Lori says:
I would rather see someone enjoying themselves doing good instead of out on the streets robbing or assaulting someone. Come on people lighten up and find joy and humor in life. Enough with the negative comments. And I hope he gets his saber back and goes on to enjoy what he does!!!!
Feb. 8, 2012, 9:29 am
ty from pps says:
Hey SwampYankee... What exactly is *proper* big city activity? Please give us a catalog of what is OK to do here and what is not OK.

I wouldn't want you to think I was an utter tool.
Feb. 8, 2012, 11:01 am
ty from pps says:

I wouldn't want you to think I was an utter tool.
Feb. 8, 2012, 11:01 am
Tom from Not Brooklyn says:
I am an urban expatriate forced to live in a university town in a state where all the hipsters come from. I just discovered this hipster problem you are having when I happened across the DieHipster website. What a strange phenomenon. I didn't know that when these beardos left school that they all moved to Brooklyn. How wierd. Can't you all just mob up and run them out of town?
Feb. 8, 2012, 12:07 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Ty from PPS,
Well you could start by acting like an adult. Part of this would be respecting traffic laws when you are cycling. This includes stopping all red lights. Yes, you are required to. As for the acting like an adult watch the outrage from the cyclists that do not think they need to stop at red lights. They will blame cars for doing it first and that makes their law breaking OK. They think they are above the law. That is childish. Acting light an adult could also include bringing childrens toys to the bar just for the sake of having people look at you.
Feb. 8, 2012, 12:08 pm
ty from pps says:
So SwampYankee --
You have nothing to say... you actually don't have any thing that is particular to the "big city" that is inappropriate. But well-done throwing in a bicycle rant. When cars run red lights, honk their horns incessantly, drive 50 mph, and run down pedestrians... Is that "childish" or "appropriate for the big city"? I just want to be clear.

What about the Giants? Isn't it pretty childish that there were thousands and thousands of supposed adults marching down the big city streets because of some kid's game? Shouldn't they be doing adult things?
Feb. 8, 2012, 12:16 pm
Flynn from Bed Stuy says:
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn;
I really hope you have something in your life that brings you joy. If not, come to one of our classes and pick up a saber. Maybe that smile might return to a face that sounds like it desperately needs one.

Just for the record, being an adult means one is not dependent on anyone to support oneself, meet your responsibilities, respect the personal space and choices of others, and you treat others how you wish to be treated. One might tailor one's actions to conduct oneself appropriately for the environment. If nobody at the bar minds if you bring your toys to the place, and actually enjoy it themselves (like iPads and laptops), including the owner, that sounds appropriate to me!

And you should see these things! They're really not children's toy quality. Why do you think it cost over $400? Custom cut and milled aircraft aluminum, custom color that's Powder Coated (expensive process), high quality electronics and rechargeable batteries, and personalized engraving? AND, it can take a BEATING! As well as deliver one. HA! :)

Check these things out, and use the on-line saber builder!
Feb. 8, 2012, 12:35 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
so you admit you do not follow the required laws while riding your bicycle? you blame cars for you non compliance? Tell you what. Got to Court or Smith Streets. For 30 minutes count the number of cars that run red lights vs. the number of bicycles that run red lights. I see about 1 car a week. I see about 30 bicycles in 30 minutes. Using others bad behavior as an excuse for your own is childish. If you must be given an example that a 2nd grader would understand: "So if Johnny walked off a cliff you would to?" Pretty childish, no?
Feb. 8, 2012, 2:02 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
yes Flynn, I have plenty that brings me joy. my 3 kids, oldest in graduate school, a wife of too many years to count and a successful carer delivering critical public safety infrastructure for this city. I'm busy providing for your safety. I don't have time for light saber playtime. Someone has to be the adult.
Feb. 8, 2012, 2:06 pm
Malembi from BK says:
So you're a security gaurd-wow. ——ing loser.
Feb. 8, 2012, 2:20 pm
ty from pps says:
SwampDouche --
I never even suggested I don't follow traffic laws when riding my bicycle. How ridiculous. However, while driving in MY CAR in the last year I've been cut off, honked at, almost T-boned by speeding cars running red lights, and smacked into by a reckless driver. Speeding multi-ton chunks of steel and glass provide a lot of anxiety on the streets... not a cyclist.

All that being said. I'm glad you live a sad life. I didn't know being an "adult" meant always working and avoiding any frivolous activities. Sad. Thank you for providing for my safety. While you're being sad and doing nothing enjoyable, I'll make sure to think of you.

Now, I don't want to hear that you're watching a football game, working on a jigsaw puzzle or watching CSI Miami... that's childish stuff. You don't have time for that what with all of your adult things. You have to be a good example for your children after all. What if one of them wanted to get a puppy, go to a swimming pool or some other ridiculously childish thing? Uggh. I hope you'd disown them and make sure they knew the only way to be an adult was to be a crusty old man with a every last drop of creativity, imagination and wonder sucked out.

When you think about it... What's the point of children being allowed to act childishly? There's no value there. It doesn't serve a purpose. They should be learning a trade or studying calculus, not playing dodge ball or collecting pretty pebbles.
Feb. 8, 2012, 2:29 pm
Jesse from Alderaan says:
You know you are a Star Wars geek when right before sex you say "This may smell bad kid, but it will keep you warm".
Feb. 8, 2012, 3:38 pm
sledgehammer from the real Brooklyn says:
Like yah this was like totes obvsies hipster on hipster crime. Go check around the quirky bars where other beardos like you hang out. I'm sure you'll find it. Some other bedbug bitten/thick eyeglasses/scarf/scratchy lice ridden wool hat/saggy-butt skinny jeans wearing douchebag wanted to play with it, but Mommy and Daddy never taught him manners back in Cul De Sac Land. So he took it without asking. And now you'll have to use your Jedi powers to take it back from him. Go back to your nannies in Minnepennsyloklahiowa. You people suck.
Feb. 8, 2012, 5:29 pm
ty from pps says:
"but Mommy and Daddy never taught him manners back in Cul De Sac Land."

Cuz manners abound in Brooklyn. Yer a douche too -- though I am holding out a little bit of hope that you were trying to be ironic.

By the way, is anyone allowed to *move to* NYC or is it only OK to be born here? Cuz, I think the native born are probably outnumbered... or at least a small enough majority that they should just shut up with the self-righteousness.
Feb. 8, 2012, 6:08 pm
K. from ArKady says:
Well it took forever, but this thing finally hit slashdot. Won't Gersh be thrilled?
Feb. 8, 2012, 7:13 pm
Anuisun says:
quick question. is it just me or is the girl in the top photo "Playing" with her lightsaber? It looks like it's tucked in there pretty good
Feb. 8, 2012, 7:15 pm
sledgehammer from the real Brooklyn says:
ty from FU: Can't you just be a douchey 30 year old funemployed bedbug farmer/Star Wars freak back in your parent's basement in North Dakotasotahiowa? Why do you feel it's sooooo necessary for you to do that here? You're just taking up valuable space and wasting oxygen here. The rent is a lot cheaper at your parent's, you have a lot more room for your Star Wars dolls, and nothing beats Mom's homemade Rice Krispie treats. You can be just as quirky, freewheeling and arty back at Mom and Dad's; you'll have them to refill your Adderall prescriptions and fumigate your lice and bedbugs. You'll also have the added bonus of not pissing as many people off as you do here. Like shah, yah like yah, totes obvs yah yah.
Feb. 8, 2012, 8:09 pm
Greeting from /.! from One thats, thankfully, far from yours. says:
I just enjoy the fact that Idiots like SwampYankee (redneck handle much?) and sledgehammer (because subtlety clearly isnt in your vocabulary)..

.. that you've both had time to look up the meaning of vocabulary i'll go on..

..seem to think theft of personal property is ok. Their gripe is with a dude owning a sabre, not the fact that a theft has occured, and a fellow man has been wronged. Dayum shame.
Feb. 8, 2012, 9:08 pm
lagrone from texas says:
Scooby Dooby Doo! Where are you? We've got a mystery to solve!

None of the Jedi could figure that a prophecy that said a young kid who would 'Bring Balance to the Force' was bad news when there were hundreds of Jedi and 2 Sith (which 'always came in pairs', a Master and Student).
[500 X = 2]
So these New York Jedi are never going to find the missing toy.
Feb. 9, 2012, 12:29 am
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
"SwampYankee" is an old New England nickname to describe farming families that have been here since before the revolutionary war. I am 11th generation, family arrived in 1706, unlike you, who arrived from Ohio in 2009. Furthest thing from a redneck. Got the family name in on gravestones going back over 100 years in both Greenwood and Cypress Hills cemetery. My family saw the Indians out of Brooklyn and we will see the back of you transplant
Feb. 9, 2012, 8:09 am
Yankee Bob from That one says:
Haha, look at all the school yard hate going on in here? This is hilarious! Oh you poor sad little men who feel the need to crap on everything. I truly pity you.
Feb. 9, 2012, 9:46 am
stoyannn from ues says:
he may have lost his light saber, but he will never lose his virginity! sorry, could not resist :-)
Feb. 9, 2012, 10:08 am
Daniel from Queens says:
In reading the responses to this article I am rather amazed by the sheer anger and negativity people have, supported by the anonymity of not actually having to face the person directly to express your feelings.

In the responses instead of commenting on the information in the article many assumptions are made., and seem to fuel the anger that this article is about. Which I think stems form the idea some people have not moved beyond their presupposed high school type mentality that exists here.
1.. What is cool, and does cool really matter?
Many have taken the idea that Star Wars is geek stuff, thus if someone is a fan then there for they do nto deserve respect. The number of comments expressing that is someone is a fan they are some how detached from reality. In the day and age where now movies like Avengers, X-Men, Spiderman, and Batman are the blockbusters , and more then not he people commenting on this thread not only watched the movies , but own their Blu Ray copies. That on one side of their face they mock the Geek, and with the other they watch the same films as them.
It appears in the society that we live, if people watch sci fi , or are involved in activities such as the New York Jedi , they are nothing but over privileged geeks with that spend all their time and money on this useless childish stuff. But I can guarantee that more people spend far more time and money , playing fantasy foot ball (at least they are actually doing something and not just sitting on the couch) , or even if they are playing foot ball, or spending entire Sundays watching a game , or spending endless hours keeping track of their imaginary team. Some how that is acceptable , and other people’s hobies are not. I call hypocracy. Some how some loud spoken individuals feel that they determine how and what people do. .

Now Flynn has mentioned that he uses his lightsaber a means of teaching others, entertaining children, and having fun. I ask would there be the same negative outcry from the posters that if we replaced the word lightsaber with football equipment. I wonder if the response would change to , I hope this man who is entertaining children will get his equipment back. It comes down to perspective. In both situations this person is providing a service to people. Yet I am sure the foot ball volunteer would receive support , while I seen non for the other. Instead I have seen well he deserves it with no anger towards the thief. This is almost suggesting that if it is something you do not find enjoyable then it is okay to do what ever you want to that person. A shameful way of thinking.

I feel for those that have lashed out with this 1980’s television view of reality. I am posting here myself so this also reflects to me. But the number of posts that I have seen that talked about a waste of your time on activities such as this , yet, this is coming from posters that have posted repeatedly over a several day period. I would think that f their time was as valuable and filled with adult activities then they would not waste their time on such a topic. They would click the page , go, “HUH” and move on. Yet I have read many posts from the same people that is nothing more then anger. Anger at what I don’t know.

I am rather confused how the comments went from discussing the theft of an item in a human interest story into something discussing if people have the right to live where they live, and that a person deserves what happens to them because of a style. Somehow this has stemmed from an argument between the idea of native New Yorkers , vrs people moving to New York . I thought that the variety of people living in New York is what makes New York a wonderful place to live.
My hope he gets his property back.
So my suggestion, let go of your anger, try to lighten up, and have fun people . The world has plenty of problems , why add your negativity to the world.
Feb. 9, 2012, 10:19 am
Dave from Sheepshead Bay says:
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read. Somebody call the WAAAAAAAAmbulance for this moron please. "Somebody stole my $400 lightsaber in a bar..."

A: Why do you have a $400 lightsaber?

B: Why on earth would you bring it to a bar?

C: What idiot would leave ANYTHING worth $400 laying around in a bar where anyone could get to it?

D: What an absolute jackass.
Feb. 9, 2012, 10:48 am
Myra, Honey says:
This is cute. Dave hit it on the nose. Why didn't he use the force? Lol. That's funny. I like Star Wars, but not $400 bucks worth. Still, I hope he finds his lightsaber and next time, leave it home with Yoda.
Feb. 9, 2012, 12:13 pm
ty from pps says:
SwampYankee -- I'm sooo effing happy for you. Your family dates back 4 of 5 generation in New York! Big Whoopity Dooo! A huge chunk of my family dates back to the 1630s and 1640s in Boston. When I lived there there was the "real Bostonian" crap, same as the crap you're spewing here. Guess who claimed to be the "real" Bostonians? Bunch of uppity Irish whose families only date back to the 1850s. Are you kidding me? Go back to your potato field you damn transplant! Right?

Such a douchebag you are... Seriously. You are.
Feb. 9, 2012, 12:45 pm
Barry says:
Fools deserve to get roobed!
Feb. 9, 2012, 2:57 pm
Barry says:
Yeah they bring it to a bar at 2:!5 AM in Bed-Stuy, I would robbed them my self!
Feb. 9, 2012, 3 pm
ty from pps says:
Yes Barry. You're right. Robbery is something that should be celebrated! In fact, being robbed is glorious part of being a New Yorker, right SwampYankee?
Feb. 9, 2012, 3:50 pm
sledgehammer from the real brooklyn says:
Here's a description of the thief:

Thick red beard and mustache. Plaid shirt, Converse sneakers, thick black eyeglasses, American Apparel zip hoodie, skinny jeans that are so saggy in the butt it looks like he took a dump in them and left it there. Pimply skin, but those are not zits and bacne, they're bedbug bites. Black wool cap with greasy unwashed hair underneath.

Last seen preening and prancing out and around the Myrtle Ave. nabe. Go get 'im! But watch out, he'll give you back your toy, but he'll be stealing your iPad, Macbook and iPhone while he's got you distracted!
Feb. 9, 2012, 6:59 pm
Skellatosis says:
These are the guys that get robbed anyway. Maybe their saber will save them.
Feb. 9, 2012, 8:43 pm
Barry from Gowanus says:
There was always Robbery in NYC/Brooklyn since the 1800s, Hell! going back to the Dutch robbing the Native People of their land. being a native Brooklynite and not a transplant, I grew up street wise and not a fool. I laugh when those who think Brooklyn is a small town in the mid west where they come from or part of their stage set. most of you are so arrogant with the vibes you send, walking around showing off your Ipads, laptops, cellphones Yes! I do celebrate you getting robbed. Good for you, you deserve it for being fools. I never robbed anyone and I never been robbed, I grew up in a time when Smith Street was a heroin den. thieves generally look for schmucks to rob, schmucks like yourself.
Feb. 10, 2012, 11:54 am
Barry from Gowanus says:
Never take a light saber to a bar fight!
Feb. 10, 2012, 3:08 pm
Daniel from Queens says:
I wonder how New York has acquired the reputation that it has? hmmmm ..

I do not know how this topic has moved from the discussion of a theift to a verbal assault on a particular group of people, and the celebration of a crime.

Using the arguments on this thread.

-Only people that were born in a particular area should have any rights.

- apparently from the natives of Brooklyn , Brooklyn is a horrible place to live, filled with thieves and criminals, and drugs.

- apparently a victim of a crime deserves that, be that they were raped , a minority, or murder. Not only is it their fault that a crime happened to them, but we should celebrate the criminal.

It is a wonder that people think New York is nothing but a scum sucking wasteland of crime and violence , when the people that live in an area celebrate it with such intensity.
Feb. 10, 2012, 3:15 pm
Skellatosis from BK says:
Danny boy. Feel free to peace out at anytime. Life goes on and you won't be missed. Thank you.
Feb. 10, 2012, 10:08 pm
ty from pps says:
Man. I wish New York was like it was in the 70s and 80s.
Feb. 10, 2012, 11:31 pm
Daniel from Queens says:
Skellatosis .... I see no reason to as you say "peace out" In any debate there will always be varying points of view. Sorry that you do not think my point of view that theft is wrong, and those that commit crimes should be held accountable for their actions. But that is my point of view . You are quite welcomed to your own.
Feb. 11, 2012, 1:22 am

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

This week’s featured advertisers